Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

..Brian.. wrote: »
    why don't they just put a roundabout at the end of the bridge
    May be the roundabouts don't work this part of the world?
    There's always one (more likely at least three) who will enter roundabout seeing there no way to leave it and block the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Surely this has been suggested somewhere within the last 32 pages but why don't they just put a roundabout at the end of the bridge and be done without all the faffing about with lights and no turn left etc?!

It would involve massive cost as the would have to pile out into the river - just as they did when they built the roundabout at the train station back in the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Jambo wrote: »
    It would involve massive cost as the would have to pile out into the river - just as they did when they built the roundabout at the train station back in the 90's

That roundabout could do with some traffic lights on it in the mornings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gadgie wrote: »
    That roundabout could do with some traffic lights on it in the mornings.

Or people could just learn how to use it properly,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cabaal wrote: »

What you talking about Cabaal, all Irish people know that travelling thru a roundabout in as straight a line as possible with preferably wrong indicator on is the way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

its unbelievable the amount of people that cant use a roundabout properly. especially when they are indicating

That's not going to stop massive tailbacks in Ferrybank due to priority being given to traffic coming from the Grannagh side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Gadgie wrote: »
    due to priority being given
    How is roundabout supposed to give priority to one particular route?
    It's not roundabouts fault it's HOW it's being used.

beazee wrote: »
    How is roundabout supposed to give priority to one particular route?
    It's not roundabouts fault it's HOW it's being used.

There is a constant stream of traffic coming from the Grannagh/Mooncoin side. This makes it very difficult for traffic coming from the Ferrybank/New Ross side to get onto the bridge. Traffic lights on the Grannagh side (or perhaps just altering the existing pedestrian lights to the train station) would go some way to alleviating the tailbacks in Ferrybank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

How about a second bridge on the quay? that would solve all the traffic problems and prob divert it to somewhere else in the town so we can give out about that then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Leave the Grannagh traffic alone! We don't cause any problems. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is true, I remember when there was lights at the station on a hot day it would take 40 mins to get from the to the Bridge hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can see a bigger problem at the clock tower , where traffic has to merge into right-hand lane .

I agree it should merge way back away from the pedestrian crossing, cars just get stuck in the wrong (but last week right!) lane and make a run for it through the pedestrian crossing, like the taxi a few cars in front of me did this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

What I can never understand with the Ferrybank dual Carraigeway is that some mornings it takes 20 mins and others you can drive straight down. I'm always on it around 9am. There is no set pattern other than on Fridays it tends to be somewhat lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Max Powers wrote: »
    I dont think its a bad idea when its finished, something had to be done. As a person who works in the city centre and a driver, I see people parking in the left lane of the Quays causing not only a hazard and effectively making it one lane anyway. The disruption at the moment will just have to be endured.

The river should be better connected to the city centre, this is the first step of that process apparently, next up get rid of all those car parks. Added to that, pedestrian accidents on the Quays are common as is.

Basically Irish people cannot be trusted to use the road as it is properly, a park where they like attitude exists 'sure what harm, im only gonna be 5 minutes' where the decent thing to do is, park in the car park and walk to place you have your stuff to do.

Like it or not, it will force vehicles out of the city centre (slowly).

We had a lovely wide road, many cities would love to have the flexibility that our quay allowed for (because of the width). The planners as usual had to f**k it up.

We had a lovely wide road, many cities would love to have the flexibility that our quay allowed for (because of the width). The planners as usual had to f**k it up.

lovely wide road? do you think half-ar$ed dual carriageways in the centre of a small city are a good thing. The existing (old) layout was a disaster for pedestrians, asthetically and provided little benefit to driver as said road was half blocked most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

lovely wide road? do you think half-ar$ed dual carriageways in the centre of a small city are a good thing. The existing (old) layout was a disaster for pedestrians, asthetically and provided little benefit to driver as said road was half blocked most of the time

As opposed to the hop skip and jump which has been installed for pedestrians who will jaywalk? A disaster waiting to happen.

7upfree wrote: »
    As opposed to the hop skip and jump which has been installed for pedestrians who will jaywalk? A disaster waiting to happen.

A lot safer than the way they used to jay-walk

A lot safer than the way they used to jay-walk

They'll use it as a springboard Max. Wait and see.

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    What I can never understand with the Ferrybank dual Carraigeway is that some mornings it takes 20 mins and others you can drive straight down. I'm always on it around 9am. There is no set pattern other than on Fridays it tends to be somewhat lighter.

Its a few years since I used to have to make 8:50 on the quay but the traffic was often linked to the ferry, if it was late the trucks delayed the traffic so it all hit the station at 8:30am.

Strange to hear the toll road didn't make much difference to the traffic.

From 2003 till 2009 it used to take 40 mins from the church in Ferrybank to the bridge. It eased off towards the middle of 2009 and now its 20 mins max. Most mornings its worth going up Newrath and coming in that way.

Just looking at it all again. No way it will be ready for Christmas. There is also a rumour circulating that it will be "temporarlly finished" (whatever that is) for Christmas.

It is well and truly beyond a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Just looking at it all again. No way it will be ready for Christmas. There is also a rumour circulating that it will be "temporally finished" (whatever that is) for Christmas.

The thread or the roadworks?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The thread or the roadworks?

Lol!:D The roadworks obviously......

Just looking at it all again. No way it will be ready for Christmas. There is also a rumour circulating that it will be "temporarlly finished" (whatever that is) for Christmas.

Also the area behind the bishops palace and christchurch looks like it will not be finished in time for winterval

Also the area behind the bishops palace and christchurch looks like it will not be finished in time for winterval

if that is the case then that is a major f-up. I sincerely hope for Winterval and city in general that that work is 99% done for festival kick off

if that is the case then that is a major f-up. I sincerely hope for Winterval and city in general that that work is 99% done for festival kick off

Winterval Opens to the Public on the 27th of November , so assume the area is needed the preceding week for setting up the huts and stalls hence that does not leave much time between now and then for completion.

IMO the quay is a long way off for completion this side of Christmas, I suppose its now going to end up like the new tourist office in the old tack room building that supposed to be open for the tall ships and its still not ready !!

Winterval Opens to the Public on the 27th of November , so assume the area is needed the preceding week for setting up the huts and stalls hence that does not leave much time between now and then for completion.

IMO the quay is a long way off for completion this side of Christmas, I suppose its now going to end up like the new tourist office in the old tack room building that supposed to be open for the tall ships and its still not ready !!

it is ready in fact and the delay is Bord Failtes. its all ready and has been for Bord Failte fitters to put their screens, colouring and all that in it.

I was in Tipp today and similar to someone posting here before, I overheard a man and woman talking about bringing their kids to Winterval, brilliant train, santa etc. She mentioned that they couldnt go last year as it was all booked up but she said it was 'brilliant'. Love hearing things like that.

I loved Winterville last year, I wouldbn't dream of going to another city for the months of Nov and Dec when that is on.

But I went home early during Sproi as there were so many footpaths closed I couldn't get around town with a buggy.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I loved Winterville last year, I wouldbn't dream of going to another city for the months of Nov and Dec when that is on.

But I went home early during Sproi as there were so many footpaths closed I couldn't get around town with a buggy.

a lot of complaints around that time, didnt see the problems people said, thought it was over the top. Pushing a buggy myself for it. spare a thought for those pushing twin ones, must a mare.

Advertisement