Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The new traffic signals at the bridge are a right mess. Far too many poles for a start.

Also, it would have been nice if they'd managed to get them all vertical.

Awful, awful work. Looks like sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The new traffic signals at the bridge are a right mess. Far too many poles for a start.

Also, it would have been nice if they'd managed to get them all vertical.

Awful, awful work. Looks like sh*t.

surely there is the same amount of traffic light poles as the junction has not changed from a traffic signal point of view

Yea? Count 'em!

10 poles, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Max Powers wrote: »
    surely there is the same amount of traffic light poles as the junction has not changed from a traffic signal point of view

Coming into town there is now a right filter to Bilberry. Perhaps its only a trial run, but its definitely slower coming out of town to cross bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

On the converse side, its a million times better coming over the bridge from Wexford.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Noticed this, much faster getting over the bridge but at 5:45pm the town was solid along the quays and Bridge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps it's a ploy. Get 'em in, but don't let 'em out..!

Now, when travelling on the Quay towards the clock tower, in two lanes, the left lane has to merge to the right.

We drive on the left in this country, so that manoeuvre is patently wrong and in fact dangerous. What are these people thinking of? It would have been just as easy to mark the road so traffic in the left lane has priority and the right lane merges in.

When a crash happens due to this madness, it will be interesting to see if the victims take legal action against the city council - I'm sure they'd have grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now, when travelling on the Quay towards the clock tower, in two lanes, the left lane has to merge to the right.

We drive on the left in this country, so that manoeuvre is patently wrong and in fact dangerous. What are these people thinking of? It would have been just as easy to mark the road so traffic in the left lane has priority and the right lane merges in.

When a crash happens due to this madness, it will be interesting to see if the victims take legal action against the city council - I'm sure they'd have grounds.

This is the way it is all over dublin. Left and straight on the left lane, right and straight on the right lane at junctions but the left is usually the bus lane so left merges into right after the junction. When people get used to it they learn and most dont use the left at junctions if carrying on straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

That would mean having a lane between the bus stop and bus lane

• Advertisement

That would mean having a lane between the bus stop and bus lane

No, I mean when travelling east along the Quay. The lanes merge into one before the clock tower signals, with a 'useful' 100yds of cycle lane on the left. But the left lane merges to the right, which is contrary to common sense and what 'feels right' when driving on the left, as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No, I mean when travelling east along the Quay. The lanes merge into one before the clock tower signals, with a 'useful' 100yds of cycle lane on the left. But the left lane merges to the right, which is contrary to common sense and what 'feels right' when driving on the left, as we do.

I raised this here before too , and find it unusual ,

Just passed there today , and noticed this 100 metre cycle lane , which as you say makes no sense .

Similar layout is in Dublin , where you have a bus lane used by buses and taxis , and it is very dangerous when the taxis attempt to merge into the right-hand lane , because a bus is stopped ahead .

It is an accident waiting to happen , because the cars in the right hand lane are travelling in whats known as ''your blind spot '' when you enter this merging area.

DSC00046_zps34d461fb.jpg

Exactly. Wish I'd put it as well.

Imbeciles in WCC traffic planning, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I raised this here before too , and find it unusual ,

Just passed there today , and noticed this 100 metre cycle lane , which as you say makes no sense .

Similar layout is in Dublin , where you have a bus lane used by buses and taxis , and it is very dangerous when the taxis attempt to merge into the right-hand lane , because a bus is stopped ahead .

It is an accident waiting to happen , because the cars in the right hand lane are travelling in whats known as ''your blind spot '' when you enter this merging area.

DSC00046_zps34d461fb.jpg

I passed that earlier. Absolutely incredible. No warning that the lanes are shrinking into one. This is just titling from one absurdity to the next really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Traffic on the right hand lane coming over from Killenny side is moving extremely well for the last few days I must say. No more of the waiting for about 123457 changes of lights. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    I passed that earlier. Absolutely incredible. No warning that the lanes are shrinking into one. This is just titling from one absurdity to the next really.

There is a warning alright, but its got the lane mergers wrong. The warning sign has it in reverse from the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Saw that sign, must be left over from the last lane set up.

The workers are hard at it tonight outside Johnny Hearns.

I have never see it before but yesterday and today cars came accross the bridge in the left lane and when they saw the car at the top of the Bridge st lane was going right they both just veered out of the lane and went up bridge st. Very dangerous.

Sully wrote: »
    There is a warning alright, but its got the lane mergers wrong. The warning sign has it in reverse from the old way.

Exactly. How there hasn't been a major accident here is a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Lads, next time you're going down the Quay towards the Clock Tower, stay in the RH lane and try going at a regular, normal speed.

Now, keep an eye on everybody in the LH lane and note how you have to slam on the breaks once the LH lane realise they need to switch. And they just pull right without even noticing you. Or, I've seen some that just *stop dead* in the LH lane and you can see the confusion on their faces.

It is an absolute danger zone and crazy, crazy to have right before a pedestrian crossing.

• Advertisement

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Lads, next time you're going down the Quay towards the Clock Tower, stay in the RH lane and try going at a regular, normal speed.

Now, keep an eye on everybody in the LH lane and note how you have to slam on the breaks once the LH lane realise they need to switch. And they just pull right without even noticing you. Or, I've seen some that just *stop dead* in the LH lane and you can see the confusion on their faces.

It is an absolute danger zone and crazy, crazy to have right before a pedestrian crossing.

It goes without saying that the signs on approach to the lane reduction should reflect the layout ahead.

You cannot account for driver behaviour as highlighted in your post above, however your point about the lane reduction on the approach to the pedestrian crossing is unwarranted as pedestrians will only be crossing when the lights are red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The quay is apparently some sort of extended test of all road users, that no one has been killed (or injured as far as I know) from all this is a small miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

mike65 wrote: »
    The quay is apparently some sort of extended test of all road users, that no one has been killed (or injured as far as I know) from all this is a small miracle.

there have been people killed and seriously injured on the quays in the past, generally from walking out in front of traffic at non crossing points. The work when completed will slow down traffic, provide for safer crossing, force drivers to behave more safely etc etc. im sure all the road safety, engineer, design and building experts on here will have something to outrage about it though

Max Powers wrote: »
    there have been people killed and seriously injured on the quays in the past, generally from walking out in front of traffic at non crossing points. The work when completed will slow down traffic, provide for safer crossing, force drivers to behave more safely etc etc. im sure all the road safety, engineer, design and building experts on here will have something to outrage about it though

In fairness the best ones to comment on its efficiency are those who use it. Not those who designed it. Or is everyone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have never see it before but yesterday and today cars came accross the bridge in the left lane and when they saw the car at the top of the Bridge st lane was going right they both just veered out of the lane and went up bridge st. Very dangerous.

This is a regular thing, been going on for years, it's not just caused by the new works. Cars are in the left hand lane to go down the quay and up Thomas Street in order to avoid the delays on the right hand lane going up Bridge Street. As they cross the bridge if they see a gap on the right hand lane they'll jump across as a shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well I've never seen anything like this merge before , and maybe whoever designed it could explain its purpose .

You have what looks like a bicycle lane / motorcycle lane for about 50 metres , but it is almost the width of a car-lane .

However, it cannot be either , because if you follow the road markings , you are diverted into the right-hand lane , whether you are cycling / biking or driving car .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well I've never seen anything like this merge before , and maybe whoever designed it could explain its purpose .

You have what looks like a bicycle lane / motorcycle lane for about 50 metres , but it is almost the width of a car-lane .

However, it cannot be either , because if you follow the road markings , you are diverted into the right-hand lane , whether you are cycling / biking or driving car .

Its a broken line at the start of the junction. If youre entitled to use it you continue on straight

But merging from the left to the right, implying the right lane has priority, is counter-intuitive and downright dangerous.

In a country which drives on the left, the left lane must have priority. So at this point on the Quay, the right lane should be the one that ends with traffic encouraged to merge to the left.

It's yet another example of the incompetence of the city council's traffic planning. I look forward to the law suit which will surely follow the first accident that occurs here because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thank gawd I've given up driving especially in this town.:)

Mind you being a pedestrian can be even more dangerous.... Nearly got knocked down by two cars while crossing the road at the cork road/college st junction on the green pedestrian light....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

the merge is probably only temporary, according to the plans there will be only one lane from the bridge.

Advertisement