Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    Back off? And you call ME a juvenile??:D You really don't like having things pointed out to you - do you?

Thats the glib part... expected
    Now could you back up your libelous allegations?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Put the handbags away kids or there will be no supper!!

Just take it down a notch or two please lads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My only fear about the new layout is the path down the middle, if it is filled with a raised bed like the one outside the Tower there will not be an issue but is it is left as it is there is a real danger of a pedestrian accident.

Only this evening while passing the Tower the traffic slowed outside the Red and a pedestrian crossed through the moving traffic. It's too dark for making dashes across the road like that.

No hand bags Sully just a discussion no heat from my side just trying to get to the heart of someones gripe. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Thats the glib part... expected
    Now could you back up your libelous allegations?

How does an opinion become an "allegation"? If you peruse the rest of this thread you will see that I am not the only one questioning this. Yet I am the only one you take issue with. Why?:confused:

• Advertisement

How does an opinion become an "allegation"? If you peruse the rest of this thread you will see that I am not the only one questioning this. Yet I am the only one you take issue with. Why?:confused:

Lol because you whinge make wild allegations and when pushed you refuse to answer the question as you did last night. I backed you into a corner last night on purpose I normally dont bother but was bored with your blather last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Kahless wrote: »
    Yes, temporary. What is it with people here? Complain that things need to be improved. Complain when it's being improved, declaring it a complete disaster before it's even done. Complain. Complain. Complain. Maybe the city's gone to pot because people are sick of listening to nothing but complaints.

agree with that. the whinging on here about the works is completely over the top. Yes there is a delay, to a large extent due to first contractor going bust, then the tendering process which has to be followed and yeah sure, the existing contractor could be working 24hr days but that has never happened here or anywhere really for that matter. The lads at Newlands cross in dublin or the m11 in Wexford dont do 24hr days so its not like the situation is particularly bad on the front.
    90% of people think that the works are great and will be great when finished. even the busineses down there are saying the works are a bit of a pain for now but will be great for all when done, safer, prettier space and will not impact significantly on drivers. The straight to outrage mode of people is common place these days.

Lol because you whinge make wild allegations and when pushed you refuse to answer the question as you did last night. I backed you into a corner last night on purpose I normally dont bother but was bored with your blather last night

Lol:D In your dreams! So you don't have an issue with other people raising the bypass issue - only me? Answer the question.:)

Max Powers wrote: »
    90% of people think that the works are great
    And you base this on?

Lol:D In your dreams! So you don't have an issue with other people raising the bypass issue - only me? Answer the question.:)

I did already it maybe a by product of the works on the quay but not the raison d'etre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

No you're being kind to yourself the object is to make the Quays more pedestrian friendly more aesthetically pleasing, free flowing and a nicer place to live, thst does not divide us from our biggest asset the Suir.
    A side affect of this may drive through traffic onto the bypass which is too expensive cest la vie.
    You make good points but get locked into your Oliver Stone conspiracy theory and leave logic behind.
    If the council just want to do what you allege.Fill a couple of hundred fcuking tar barrels full of concrete down the middle of the Quays and make it the largest chicane in the world.
    Your theory is crazily expensive subterfuge.

If thats their aim get rid of the f***ing car parks so!

Benimar wrote: »
    If thats their aim get rid of the f***ing car parks so!

With you there 100% this has been addressed in this thread as well , ownership etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And you base this on?

I also have to step in here and ask where you are getting 90% from?? I know a lot of people are bound to like it but that figure there is right out of the sky, there are plenty of problems with it too...

I also have to step in here and ask where you are getting 90% from?? I know a lot of people are bound to like it but that figure there is right out of the sky, there are plenty of problems with it too...

just from the comments on here mainly, most of the negativity coming from a few people (im not the only person to highlight the few consistent negative posters). Positive comments from business owners in the papers and i think nearly all will agree with the final product. The negativity is over the top, works like this will inevitably cause delays whilst happening. The postivity of the actual works, how improved the place will be is being hyjacked by people with over the top, straight to outrage and uninformed opinions or with some gripe against the council. (im no great cheerleader of the council myself usually).

egs of some of the overly negative being said:
    • Complaints that amount of poles increased subtantially on bridge st causing confusion.....WHAT!
    • Calling the central median a footpath.....no it aint a footpath!
    • Illinformed comments about what this work entails, suggestions that throwing down a few slabs in the middle of the old road etc was all that was required.
    • Blaming bad driving on the works

just from the comments on here mainly, most of the negativity coming from a few people (im not the only person to highlight the few consistent negative posters). Positive comments from business owners in the papers and i think nearly all will agree with the final product. The negativity is over the top, works like this will inevitably cause delays whilst happening. The postivity of the actual works, how improved the place will be is being hyjacked by people with over the top, straight to outrage and uninformed opinions or with some gripe against the council. (im no great cheerleader of the council myself usually).

egs of some of the overly negative being said:
      • Complaints that amount of poles increased subtantially on bridge st causing confusion.....WHAT!
      • Calling the central median a footpath.....no it aint a footpath!
      • Illinformed comments about what this work entails, suggestions that throwing down a few slabs in the middle of the old road etc was all that was required.
      • Blaming bad driving on the works

1. The poles at the bridge are bananas. Crazy stuff really.

2. It can certainly pass as a footpath any day!

3. They are - essentially - laying kerbing, concrete, and some slabs. No matter how you dress it up.

4. Don't know where you're getting "bad driving" from. As one who uses it most days it is truly a death trap. Have you tried pulling out of Conduit Lane with your view obscured by a six-foot railing? But i suppose you'll put that one down to the motorists as well.

5. So you have actually pulled that figure from the air.

2. It can certainly pass as a footpath any day!

3. They are - essentially - laying kerning, concrete, and some slabs. No matter how you dress it up.

4. Don't know where you're getting "bad driving" from. As one who uses it most days it is truly a death trap. Have you tried pulling out of Conduit Lane with your view obscured by a six-foot railing? But i suppose you'll put that one down to the motorists as well.

5. So you have actually pulled that figure from the air.

more half truths, the whinging in the overly negative posts is just tiresome and pathetic. yes the 90% was a figure of speech but i reckon it reasonably reflects the opinion of people on the works. the 10% will whine no matter what happens.

Racist

more half truths, the whinging in the overly negative posts is just tiresome and pathetic. yes the 90% was a figure of speech but i reckon it reasonably reflects the opinion of people on the works. the 10% will whine no matter what happens.

Ah right. So you invented it. Thanks.:) Half truths.......you mean the truth is bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

Really have to agree with Max Powers, can't believe the amount of criticism going on here about what has to be the best improvement to our city in a long time. We should be making the best of our river and our quays and this work will do just that. The quay as it was was dangerous with all the double parking and the flow of traffic was only one lane because of it anyway. I think it will be FANTASTIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

will be back tomorrow (being a few weeks) to see the progress or lack of it with these works. What makes me laugh is at the Tower Hotel end of the project the footpaths and pavements are all done nice and fancy with expensive material and as you go towards the Bridge its just plan concrete.

• Advertisement

Really have to agree with Max Powers, can't believe the amount of criticism going on here about what has to be the best improvement to our city in a long time. We should be making the best of our river and our quays and this work will do just that. The quay as it was was dangerous with all the double parking and the flow of traffic was only one lane because of it anyway. I think it will be FANTASTIC.

If we were to make the most of it those car parks wouldn't be there. Or R & H Hall. And the dump that is the Ferrybank dual carriageway median would be tidied up.

Ah right. So you invented it. Thanks.:) Half truths.......you mean the truth is bitter!

no i mean half truths from overly negative posts/posters. take the poles one for eg. The junction hasnt changed at all basically, traffic signals are the very same. There may be one new pole/green man light in the island at bottom of of bridge street. So this one pole has meant that this extra pole has meant the junction is now bananas to over-reactionaries on here like yourself when before there was no issue ever raised about poles/lights at bridge st.

to summarise, these so called issues raised on here are non-issues in the main. the works are delayed, thats a genuine grievance but people spouting on about poles etc etc just turns the thread into a pathetic whingers corner and takes away from possibility of looking at the real issue.

no i mean half truths from overly negative posts/posters. take the poles one for eg. The junction hasnt changed at all basically, traffic signals are the very same. There may be one new pole/green man light in the island at bottom of of bridge street. So this one pole has meant that this extra pole has meant the junction is now bananas to over-reactionaries on here like yourself when before there was no issue ever raised about poles/lights at bridge st.

to summarise, these so called issues raised on here are non-issues in the main. the works are delayed, thats a genuine grievance but people spouting on about poles etc etc just turns the thread into a pathetic whingers corner and takes away from possibility of looking at the real issue.

Max, the Bridge has been turned into a virtual chicane. The Quay, well, we have done it to death really. Some (myself included) think it's an utter farce, others think it's nice. Maybe it will be nice. But the core issue is the duration of these works.

It is an absolute scandal. No two ways about it. Aside from the Quays the length of time it has taken to complete Bailey's new Street and Cathedral Square is, frankly, beyond a joke. And you class citizens taking issue with this as "over-reactionaries"? Well, if that makes me one so be it. I would rather be that than one who sits back uttering "sure it will be grand". Which is what has the Quay and surrounds in the situation it's in today.

Max, the Bridge has been turned into a virtual chicane. The Quay, well, we have done it to death really. Some (myself included) think it's an utter farce, others think it's nice. Maybe it will be nice. But the core issue is the duration of these works.

It is an absolute scandal. No two ways about it. Aside from the Quays the length of time it has taken to complete Bailey's new Street and Cathedral Square is, frankly, beyond a joke. And you class citizens taking issue with this as "over-reactionaries"? Well, if that makes me one so be it. I would rather be that than one who sits back uttering "sure it will be grand". Which is what has the Quay and surrounds in the situation it's in today.

the amount of Poles there is bananas is what you said, it cant be bananas when there is possibly only 1 more pole there and is an over-reaction. these types of frivolous complaints are unwarranted and take away from any real/significant issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well I have to chip in here. The improvement at the bridge since they changed the layout is like night and day!

I've travelled back over the bridge from the train station side every evening for over 10 years and I've posted here before about how frustrating it's been in the right hand lane. I've been up to 20 mins from coming onto the bridge to getting off due to the Bilberry junction on occasion. I actually wished that they'd scrap that right turn.

For the last week or so since they've changed the layout I've not been delayed once though. Sure, I've got caught by the lights on occasion but I get off the bridge when they go green.

I think its wonderful!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well I have to chip in here. The improvement at the bridge since they changed the layout is like night and day!

I've travelled back over the bridge from the train station side every evening for over 10 years and I've posted here before about how frustrating it's been in the right hand lane. I've been up to 20 mins from coming onto the bridge to getting off due to the Bilberry junction on occasion. I actually wished that they'd scrap that right turn.

For the last week or so since they've changed the layout I've not been delayed once though. Sure, I've got caught by the lights on occasion but I get off the bridge when they go green.

I think its wonderful!

Get out.

Only negativity is allowed in here. So if your coming in here being all positive, than you're in the wrong place buddy.

:pac:

Sully wrote: »
        Get out.

:pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My only grip is the danger to pedestrians crossing between the gpo and Shaws.
        I've just gone back to parking in Bolton st, much safer.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
        My only grip is the danger to pedestrians crossing between the gpo and Shaws.
        I've just gone back to parking in Bolton st, much safer.

not really related to the works though. Irish people jay-walking is the fault of Irish people lack of respect for the law, their safety and the gardai not enforcing that particular rule. If anything the central media (although not meant primarily as a crossing facilitator) will make it safer for those jay walkers, i guess standing on the central media is safer than standing on a white line with 2 lanes of traffic either side of you.

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

not really related to the works though. Irish people jay-walking is the fault of Irish people lack of respect for the law, their safety and the gardai not enforcing that particular rule. If anything the central media (although not meant primarily as a crossing facilitator) will make it safer for those jay walkers, i guess standing on the central media is safer than standing on a white line with 2 lanes of traffic either side of you.

Spot on,
        People are quick to blame the council for everything but the bottom line is jaywalking is the fault of the person doing the walking...not the council.

Odds are as well that the people complaining of jay walking have done it loads of times themselves, maybe not on the quays but certainly somewhere else.

Now we can't put all the blame on jaywalkers, you've only to stand on the quays for a few moments to see that when given half the chance most motorists will break the speed limit on the quays and many also have no regard for pedestrian crossing often choosing to speed up before they turn red.

Advertisement