Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My only grip is the danger to pedestrians crossing between the gpo and Shaws.
    I've just gone back to parking in Bolton st, much safer.

Listen, people are ignorant and have no regard for their own safety nevermind anyone else's. Between pushing prams out in front of cars on the middle of a busy road then turning in utter disgust that you had to slam on the breaks to avoid a collision and eejits deciding to walk over the road despite being only a few meters away from pedestrian crossing / traffic lights.

The amount of people who just walk across thw quay and stand in the middle waiting for a break in traffic is unbelievable. This is the case before the works.

Then there are drivers who see the quay as a racetrack. Slow driver in one of the lanes? Sure, lets rip down the other lane and dodge in and out and around parked cars with their hazzard 'I can park here because I have my hazzard lights don't lights on and between buses who see the quay as a loading bay.

The roadworks are slow, sure we all agree with that. But are the works good? Yes. The island down the middle makes the heart of our city more attractive and reduces the speed of vehicles. It also pushes people to use alternative routes to exit the city. Including trucks and lorries. This makes it safer for pedestrians, cuts down on silly driving and makes it a friendlier place for pedestrians who park on the quay, eat on the quay, stay on the quay, shop on the quay and also allows all of those to move into the city center safer and more comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The white lines are upside down,
    The new trees have no leaves on them,
    The limestone paving comes from Kilkenny.
    So does the fella driving the buggy maniscopic.

Just some suggestions for new whinges about the roadworks on the Quays that have not been mentioned yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

wellboytoo wrote: »

Just some suggestions for new whinges about the roadworks on the Quays that have not been mentioned yet

I had a good laugh at that, thanks! :)

My name is Wellboytoo
    I am a jaywalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was there yesterday and was almost knocked down while crossings Bridge Street, had the lights but of course a diver didn't bother waiting for the left arrow to go green before turning. Not that everyone will do it but it could become very dangerous by having that left hand turn back in place as people will break the filter light. Possibly having a second Red light added and not just the orange and green one may help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Does anyone know if increasing or improving the lighting on the Quays is in the plans?

With the paths now been wider the actual street lighting is further back from the road and the new medium can be difficult to see on a damp night.

Would to nice to see the lighting improved to brighten up the quays in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »

Getting boring now WB2.:D

7upfree wrote: »
    Getting boring now WB2.:D

Attention span of a gnat that's me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if increasing or improving the lighting on the Quays is in the plans?

With the paths now been wider the actual street lighting is further back from the road and the new medium can be difficult to see on a damp night.

Would to nice to see the lighting improved to brighten up the quays in the night.

Plus 1 for this. I went down Balieys new Street to the new Reg on Friday night and it could badly use some decent lightning also. There is also about a dozen wheely bins being stored that just have to be fenced in. They completely take from what is otherwise a beautiful space now.

To divert slightly, the new Reg was very also impressive. Congrats to all involved. Maybe life is beginning to stir again but , please, please, please do whatever it takes to finish off Cathedral Square, Greyfriars before Winterval. I have relatives coming from the UK and Dublin on my recommendation. I won't be able to show my face if the current chaos is still in place. It really has gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Deise Vu wrote: »
    please, please, please do whatever it takes to finish off Cathedral Square, Greyfriars before Winterval. I have relatives coming from the UK and Dublin on my recommendation. I won't be able to show my face if the current chaos is still in place. It really has gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.

I went for a walk here yesterday and Its hard to see how they can have anything other than a temporary finish in place here in time for Winterval (opening in 18 days time), I suppose the can move the stalls but I would imagine the 3d light show is built bespoke to the deanery builing

Just looking at the phenomenal pace of work at the N25 towards the Holy Cross. A sight to behold. Pity this wasn't replicated on the Quay and Bailey's New Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What are they doing out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Putting new footpaths on either side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

There is never a good time to do roadworks. Maybe designed to drive traffic over the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was behind the mayor's car tonight at 5:50 going down the quay, 4 separate sets of people walked out in front of it between the AIB and the Tower. By the Plaza the car was crawling along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

shockwave wrote: »
    Putting new footpaths on either side of the road.

Yea, cos that was badly needed.

mike65 wrote: »
    What are they doing out there?

Footpaths either side. New road surface+kerbing. I'd say one path was needed for pedestrian access to that Business Park before the Holy, Can't understand the need for the one on the other side of the road either. Plus the path is being flared out (traffic calming?).

But the speed they're working at is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Does anybody know what the plan is for Xmas traffic tailbacks into city sq and clock tower car parks? This has caused massive disruption when there were 2 lanes each way on the quay and unless there is a change of direction (up st by gpo?) there'll be carnage.

For what it's worth the quays and the mall will look great when it's all done IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Is there 1 lane or 2 lanes at the bottom of Bridge street now. There used to be 2 lanes but the arrows splitting the traffic into 2 is still there (although part of one arrow is covered). There appears to be room for two lanes still - put is that part of the plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Seriously making some balls of the quay , where's all the cash coming from and its all going out of towntoo, not many locals on the job
    Meanwhile 5 years on the hole in the road outside Kentucky still cries out for a bit of. Tarmac

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Footpaths either side. New road surface+kerbing. I'd say one path was needed for pedestrian access to that Business Park before the Holy, Can't understand the need for the one on the other side of the road either. Plus the path is being flared out (traffic calming?).

But the speed they're working at is phenomenal.

To be fair, its completely different type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was behind the mayor's car tonight at 5:50 going down the quay, 4 separate sets of people walked out in front of it between the AIB and the Tower. By the Plaza the car was crawling along.

He was probably admiring the great job they have done on the quay. They have destroyed the city centre & the main route for the flow of traffic into the city. Idiots every single one of them.

By them I'm of course referring to the city planners, the engineers, the city council & the mayor.

Sully wrote: »
    To be fair, its completely different type of work.

Maybe. But similar in many ways.

Is this round 11 or 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    Is there 1 lane or 2 lanes at the bottom of Bridge street now. There used to be 2 lanes but the arrows splitting the traffic into 2 is still there (although part of one arrow is covered). There appears to be room for two lanes still - put is that part of the plan?

Yes, there will be two lanes eventually, when the work is completed (whenever that will be) - see attached image. They seem to be finished the paving up there now, so hopefully the road will be resurfaced soon and the new lines painted, or at least the trenches filled in properly. It's absolutely knackering my car's suspension.

Just wanted to note that I've had no acknowledgement or reply to the email I sent to the council traffic department on 21 October, regarding the traffic lights on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont know how they think there's room for 2 lanes approaching the bridge from bridge st, you wouldnt fit 2 of my tiny car in that space.

loving the reduced tail back when going up bridge st though, it willbe great when I'll be doing a school run to the gaelscoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Gadgie wrote: »
    Yes, there will be two lanes eventually, when the work is completed (whenever that will be) - see attached image. They seem to be finished the paving up there now, so hopefully the road will be resurfaced soon and the new lines painted, or at least the trenches filled in properly. It's absolutely knackering my car's suspension.

Just wanted to note that I've had no acknowledgement or reply to the email I sent to the council traffic department on 21 October, regarding the traffic lights on the bridge.

There is absolutely no room for 2 lanes on Bridge St unless newly constructed path is dug up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

JPA wrote: »
    There is absolutely no room for 2 lanes on Bridge St unless newly constructed path is dug up.

I disagree. In fact, I saw two cars stopped alongside each other at these lights a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Gadgie wrote: »
    I disagree. In fact, I saw two cars stopped alongside each other at these lights a few days ago.

But it's really not obvious and it doesn't look like 2 cars would fit to the naked eye.

Advertisement