Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Gadgie wrote: »
    I disagree. In fact, I saw two cars stopped alongside each other at these lights a few days ago.

That means nothing, I was stopped at lights the other day, turning right when a car pulled up next to me. Took me a moment to realise that there wasn't a lane there to pull up into, the woman had just gone up onto the footpath. When the lights turned green she took off like Sebastian Vettel. If a Waterford driver wants an extra lane they'll just act like its there, whether it is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

bluesfan wrote: »
    That means nothing, I was stopped at lights the other day, turning right when a car pulled up next to me. Took me a moment to realise that there wasn't a lane there to pull up into, the woman had just gone up onto the footpath. When the lights turned green she took off like Sebastian Vettel. If a Waterford driver wants an extra lane they'll just act like its there, whether it is or not.

Not really relevant here though, is it? Unless you're talking about the lights at the bottom of Bridge Street.

The difference here is that I was behind the two cars, and they were both on the road with plenty of room to spare. There mightn't be enough room for large vehicles like vans or lorries, but two cars are fine.

Anyway, it's not just my opinion - it's what the council plan to do. So any objections to the plan should be directed to them.

JPA wrote: »
    But it's really not obvious and it doesn't look like 2 cars would fit to the naked eye.

Yeah, I pretty much thought the same until I saw it for myself. I'm guessing that's because the old lanes are still painted on the road, and that's stopping people (me included) from picturing the new layout. In fairness, the old lanes were very wide.

It's a bit like when they put in the cycle lanes on the Dunmore Road. I didn't think there would be room, but there is. It's tight, but I find it easy to drive in lane without going into the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

You think the council might do anything about the turning right comin off the bridge? its ridiculous! should be stopped completely. have the turn right down Mary st. not directly on the bridge. Holds up the whole place for any one going up bridge st.

deise08 wrote: »
    You think the council might do anything about the turning right comin off the bridge? its ridiculous! should be stopped completely. have the turn right down Mary st. not directly on the bridge. Holds up the whole place for any one going up bridge st.

They're putting in a right turn lane. See plans in image I attached a few posts back.

When? Who knows. Work seems to have finished up at that end, so it should only be a matter of resurfacing/repairing the road and painting new lines.

Any council employees reading this thread care to comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

They're putting in a right turn lane. See plans in image I attached a few posts back.

When? Who knows. Work seems to have finished up at that end, so it should only be a matter of resurfacing/repairing the road and painting new lines.

On a related note, passed through Ferrybank today. Great to see the divide finally cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Thanks gadgie.prob should've looked at that before posting :) should they do that that would make things much easier :)

7upfree wrote: »
    On a related note, passed through Ferrybank today. Great to see the divide finally cleaned up.

Yes, it looks great. Hopefully it will be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I'ts kind of in operation now - without the lines. There is a right turn arrow on the lights now too.
    The line will help though as cars still are not sure about where they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So it appears we are going to try and convince our vistors that Santa little Helpers use consaws and Kango hammers. Winter Wonderland actually resembles Stalag 17, didn't you know? All those traffic cones are actually elve's hats.

I could weep but I will save it for next year when the good burghers of Galway or / and Cork have a quick word with one of their ministers and organise a €10M budget for a Christmas Festival in their cities that will blow every Christmas Market on the planet into the halfpenny place.

We had a great Harvest Festival and a unique (in this country) Christmasfestival. We have royally ****ed up both of them. Needless to say, nobody will take responsibility either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Deise Vu wrote: »
    So it appears we are going to try and convince our vistors that Santa little Helpers use consaws and Kango hammers. Winter Wonderland actually resembles Stalag 17, didn't you know? All those traffic cones are actually elve's hats.

I could weep but I will save it for next year when the good burghers of Galway or / and Cork have a quick word with one of their ministers and organise a €10M budget for a Christmas Festival in their cities that will blow every Christmas Market on the planet into the halfpenny place.

We had a great Harvest Festival and a unique (in this country) Christmasfestival. We have royally ****ed up both of them. Needless to say, nobody will take responsibility either.

I try to stay positive as much as possible but passing there this morning and seeing things not finished is very disappointing. Winterval is tomorrow so they clearly arent going to be 100% finished by tomorrow. Trees are going into median today but work remaining outside Aoifes cafe, small bit of work needed near kellys, clock tower area. I would like to see what way Cathedral square is, that is Winterval central so having the place not look 100% is a disappointment. they knew about this when contracts went out, knew about urgency months ago and yet the council/contractor didnt measure up. No different to other councils in my experience but as you say Galway and Cork have money to burn compared to here which is worrying.

to be fair, im sure/hope that the areas not done will be concreted over and made safe while work stops in those areas. still not good enough though as construction fencing etc doesnt bring up festive emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cathedral sq is currently a blanket of grit and sand

Gavlor wrote: »
    Cathedral sq is currently a blanket of grit and sand

i think the plan is to have that area (in between bishops palace and cathedral)all in that light yellow grit similar to bishops palace area. Possibly mightnt look as bad as we fear. will be into Winterval saturday anyway so hopefully the place is looking top notch

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They appear to be almost done and moving quickly from what I saw last night compared to Sunday! Trees going in, new paths almost completed snd the area by the reg was completed ages ago.

So while it may briefly impact Winterval, I can't see it being a problem throughout. Which might disappoint people.

Sully wrote: »
    They appear to be almost done and moving quickly from what I saw last night compared to Sunday! Trees going in, new paths almost completed snd the area by the reg was completed ages ago.

So while it may briefly impact Winterval, I can't see it being a problem throughout. Which might disappoint people.

im sure there are some 'hazardous' steps somewhere that people can complain about. not to mention complaints about not all the traders being from Waterford, price of coffee, people walking out in front of cars, traffic and my favourite from last year; complaints about crowds in shops. Plenty for people to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Counted 9 guys lays the paving slabs opposite the clock tower section alone at 6pm last night. Certainly seem to trying hard to get it sorted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thomasm wrote: »
    Counted 9 guys lays the paving slabs opposite the clock tower section alone at 6pm last night. Certainly seem to trying hard to get it sorted.

Are you joking???? 9???? For god sake, can this council not do anything right? Unbelievable. What's it costing us eh? Pathetic. I blame the Germans. And that Hogan fella.

Max Powers wrote: »
    im sure there are some 'hazardous' steps somewhere that people can complain about. not to mention complaints about not all the traders being from Waterford, price of coffee, people walking out in front of cars, traffic and my favourite from last year; complaints about crowds in shops. Plenty for people to complain about.

And then there will be the naysayers. In a permanent state of denial.

thomasm wrote: »

Pity they weren't there all along. The lads on the Cork Road are almost finished. And only started a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Pity they weren't there all along. The lads on the Cork Road are almost finished. And only started a couple of weeks ago.

Mass concrete footpaths with no services under them an unused hard shoulder no pedestrian traffic , compared to the Quay.
    Good man Seacht suas no bother to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The quay does look better tonight, most of the paths from City Square up as far as the clock tower look like they are just drying out and are ready for use.

I dont like like the big sign on the bridge saying avoid the quay due to traffic delays!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The quay does look better tonight, most of the paths from City Square up as far as the clock tower look like they are just drying out and are ready for use.

I dont like like the big sign on the bridge saying avoid the quay due to traffic delays!

That's from the festival, not the road works tho

yep, quay is looking very well indeed, looks like paths are finished and they have the tarmac patched up, trees in and lights on under the ship on stilts which makes it look better. They were busy there at 7.30 this morning near the clock tower. I guess a previous comment about pity they werent as busy all along is a fair comment. Generally there is always a rush on construction projects towards the end, just ask Kevin McCloud:D

hopefully they can finish small bit on the mall and wherever else too.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Mass concrete footpaths with no services under them an unused hard shoulder no pedestrian traffic , compared to the Quay.
    Good man Seacht suas no bother to ya.

Any oul excuse…….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Any oul excuse…….

No you just proving you don't know what you are talking about.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    No you just proving you don't know what you are talking about.

i think most of the complaints have been found to have been without much foundation when talking about these works. the only real complaint here was about the length of time it took.

I cannot believe the place I am reading about in the last few posts is the same City I have just driven and walked through. There are still traffic cones and fencing all the way up the quay, consaws are still active at the bottom of Barronstrand street which is completedly fenced off, fencing is still up around the Bishops Palace area which also boasts a builders containers. The footpath in front of 33 The Mall is still fenced off and nowhere near completion (with consaws blazing still). Baileys New Street which is the only area anywhere near completion still boasts pallets of blocks fenced off.

But shure t'will do won't it? People don't realise how complicated it was to dig up the cobblestones in Cathedral Square and cut down the trees in order that we can put in cobblestones and ...ehhh trees... well sand and grit and maybe the trees can go in next year?

And all of this done at the last minute after 6 mths of snail's progress. T'will do. Isn't it always the way in this country? t'will do sure.

Incidentally, with all the visual clutter on the Quay it was noticeable that every 'foreign' car was in the left lane approaching the clock tower with the drivers anxiously trying to get into the right lane at the last minute. But there all stupid, they didn't read the signs, serves them right bring cars into a town anyway. T'will do sure.

Edit: PS Did I forget to mention the delightful artistic placing of the Portaloo on the median on the Quay. It is one of those modern art placements isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It's the old maxim that prevails: Why do something properly when for a little more effort and money you can do it not quite right?

T'will do. Isn't it always the way in this country? t'will do sure.

Incidentally, with all the visual clutter on the Quay it was noticeable that every 'foreign' car was in the left lane approaching the clock tower with the drivers anxiously trying to get into the right lane at the last minute. But there all stupid, they didn't read the signs, serves them right bring cars into a town anyway. T'will do sure.

I cannot believe the place I am reading about in the last few posts is the same City I have just driven and walked through. There are still traffic cones and fencing all the way up the quay, consaws are still active at the bottom of Barronstrand street which is completedly fenced off, fencing is still up around the Bishops Palace area which also boasts a builders containers. The footpath in front of 33 The Mall is still fenced off and nowhere near completion (with consaws blazing still). Baileys New Street which is the only area anywhere near completion still boasts pallets of blocks fenced off.

But shure t'will do won't it? People don't realise how complicated it was to dig up the cobblestones in Cathedral Square and cut down the trees in order that we can put in cobblestones and ...ehhh trees... well sand and grit and maybe the trees can go in next year?

And all of this done at the last minute after 6 mths of snail's progress. T'will do. Isn't it always the way in this country? t'will do sure.

Edit: PS Did I forget to mention the delightful artistic placing of the Portaloo on the median on the Quay. It is one of those modern art placements isn't it?

calm down and jump down off your elevated equine friend, we were only saying that most of the works on the quays looks done/nearing completion. we all see and mentioned works on mall, clock tower, etc.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    calm down and jump down off your elevated equine friend, we were only saying that most of the works on the quays looks done/nearing completion. we all see and mentioned works on mall, clock tower, etc.

Apologies I must have misinterpreted your post about most of the complaints being unfounded.

Advertisement