Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I cannot believe the place I am reading about in the last few posts is the same City I have just driven and walked through. There are still traffic cones and fencing all the way up the quay, consaws are still active at the bottom of Barronstrand street which is completedly fenced off, fencing is still up around the Bishops Palace area which also boasts a builders containers. The footpath in front of 33 The Mall is still fenced off and nowhere near completion (with consaws blazing still). Baileys New Street which is the only area anywhere near completion still boasts pallets of blocks fenced off.

But shure t'will do won't it? People don't realise how complicated it was to dig up the cobblestones in Cathedral Square and cut down the trees in order that we can put in cobblestones and ...ehhh trees... well sand and grit and maybe the trees can go in next year?

And all of this done at the last minute after 6 mths of snail's progress. T'will do. Isn't it always the way in this country? t'will do sure.

Incidentally, with all the visual clutter on the Quay it was noticeable that every 'foreign' car was in the left lane approaching the clock tower with the drivers anxiously trying to get into the right lane at the last minute. But there all stupid, they didn't read the signs, serves them right bring cars into a town anyway. T'will do sure.

Edit: PS Did I forget to mention the delightful artistic placing of the Portaloo on the median on the Quay. It is one of those modern art placements isn't it?

Ah come on now! Ya can't come in here stating the obvious!!;) Sure where will it all end??!!:D

wellboytoo wrote: »
    No you just proving you don't know what you are talking about.

Sorry, Einstein!:D

On a lighter hope i hope Winterval is as successful as it was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

What do people think of the finished product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Shame they have cut down the big trees on the block by Fieldmaster. Goes against the tree lined route they envisaged. Still looks great over all though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

thomasm wrote: »
    Shame they have cut down the big trees on the block by Fieldmaster. Goes against the tree lined route they envisaged. Still looks great over all though

good stuff.looking forward to having a proper stroll down there this weekend. I think big trees have little place in the city centre, they grow out of hand and dominate the place. smaller neater ones look better i reckon.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    good stuff.looking forward to having a proper stroll down there this weekend. I think big trees have little place in the city centre, they grow out of hand and dominate the place. smaller neater ones look better i reckon.

Trim them back once a year and they would be fine. More mature ones add a bit more character I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

thomasm wrote: »
    Trim them back once a year and they would be fine. More mature ones add a bit more character I think

How do you trim the roots?

tonc76 wrote: »
    How do you trim the roots?

I'm no horticulturist(father in law is though) but afaik the root growth is proportional to tree size. Keep it trimmed and roots won't be an issue at current size.

Having seen them on the way home they have not taken off as much as I thought so perhaps my reasoning is sound

What do people think of the finished product?

Meh.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

is that portable toilet still necessary in the middle of the quay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I think it's looking good, it's a shame it isn't finished 100% for Winterval but looks good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

is that portable toilet still necessary in the middle of the quay?

**** happens

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Looks better alright, especially with the wider path at the bus stop. Makes it much easier getting around with the buggy.

One gripe I have is with the mediam and the round about. The surface used looks terrible, just looks like rough cement, would look much better if the used the paving slabs like they used on the footpaths.

Having said all that it does look better and maybe once the whole quay is finished it will look well and over all plan will make sense

My next gripe is lighting, the lighting on the quay is terrible and I really hope there is something in the plans to improve this. The quay should be bright and vibrant in the night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Looks better alright, especially with the wider path at the bus stop. Makes it much easier getting around with the buggy.

One gripe I have is with the mediam and the round about. The surface used looks terrible, just looks like rough cement, would look much better if the used the paving slabs like they used on the footpaths.

Having said all that it does look better and maybe once the whole quay is finished it will look well and over all plan will make sense

My next gripe is lighting, the lighting on the quay is terrible and I really hope there is something in the plans to improve this. The quay should be bright and vibrant in the night time.

+1

7upfree wrote: »
    Meh.:p

Speechless are ya?

Speechless are ya?
    Me?:p:D

Me?:p:D

We live in hope!

We live in hope!

You first!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Mass concrete footpaths with no services under them an unused hard shoulder no pedestrian traffic , compared to the Quay.
    Good man Seacht suas no bother to ya.

Actually no concrete , it seem to be tar macadam , I think it will be more dangerous for cyclists as previously they could cycle in the hard shoulder.

I wonder did the budget have to get spent before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

CopyofDSC09955_zpsc2fc01ef.jpg

• Advertisement

CopyofDSC09955_zpsc2fc01ef.jpg

Actually doesn't look bad. I hope they don't leave them grow rampant like the ones outside the Tower though. On a similar point, there is still no warning of the lane changes before the Clock Tower. There really is going to be a dbad smash there. One of those portable illuminated trailer signs should be put in place further up the Quay to warn visitors. And quickly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Actually doesn't look bad. I hope they don't leave them grow rampant like the ones outside the Tower though. On a similar point, there is still no warning of the lane changes before the Clock Tower. There really is going to be a dbad smash there. One of those portable illuminated trailer signs should be put in place further up the Quay to warn visitors. And quickly.

Should put Christmas lights on those trees, would look good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

You feeling alright? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Have to agree with 7upfree there is going to be a multitude of accidents on the quay if they dont put up a couple signs about the lanes merging i know the onus is on the driver but that is definitely an accident in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The traffic in the city is a complete joke, who city at a standstill from the bridge back to at least morris's diy after 5 this evening. They might as well do away with all the traffic lights as they are useless and even in the middle of the day the place is at a standstill half the time.

They have made some balls on the Quay. There is zero traffic management in place to deal with it and today being a Sunday. It would easily of taken 30-40 minutes to travel to the bridge.

It feels like the City Centre hasn't even got a bypass again with the mess they have and will continue to make, any easing of traffic that was there is gone now.

Traffic in Dublin City Centre isn't even as bad, I'm glad I don't work in the city and commute everyday.

Waterford will soon take Galway's title as most congested city in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I think there is an issue that when the quay carparks are full, a queue forms along the quay in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The traffic in the city is a complete joke, who city at a standstill from the bridge back to at least morris's diy after 5 this evening. They might as well do away with all the traffic lights as they are useless and even in the middle of the day the place is at a standstill half the time.

They have made some balls on the Quay. There is zero traffic management in place to deal with it and today being a Sunday. It would easily of taken 30-40 minutes to travel to the bridge.

It feels like the City Centre hasn't even got a bypass again with the mess they have and will continue to make, any easing of traffic that was there is gone now.

Traffic in Dublin City Centre isn't even as bad, I'm glad I don't work in the city and commute everyday.

Waterford will soon take Galway's title as most congested city in Ireland.

Without getting into the overall discussion of the merits or lack thereof of the work done on the quay, I'd say that the Winterval tourist train and horse-drawn wagon don't help matters. Two horses pulling a wagon full of thirty people or so, can't expect top speeds. The line of traffic snaking behind the wagon and train stretched back a fair way. Was glad to be heading out of town from the quay at that time, rather than in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

obezyana wrote: »
    Have to agree with 7upfree there is going to be a multitude of accidents on the quay if they dont put up a couple signs about the lanes merging i know the onus is on the driver but that is definitely an accident in waiting.

But it'll be an accident caused by drivers assuming the road layout, people do this even when road markings are in place for months or years.

Examples.
    - The idiots who drove in the wrong lanes at the interchange at the end of the M9 where you go down onto the bypass. (in the end the council just changed the road markings after numerous crashes and near misses)
    - The idiots who still use the left lane to go straight on when driving from the Dunmore road on the Ardkean roundabout, this also happens at numerous other roundabouts with the same more efficient road layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Cabaal wrote: »
    But it'll be an accident caused by drivers assuming the road layout, people do this even when road markings are in place for months or years.

Examples.
    - The idiots who drove in the wrong lanes at the interchange at the end of the M9 where you go down onto the bypass. (in the end the council just changed the road markings after numerous crashes and near misses)
    - The idiots who still use the left lane to go straight on when driving from the Dunmore road on the Ardkean roundabout, this also happens at numerous other roundabouts with the same more efficient road layout.

Yeah i know its all on the driver but the lack of signs gives them an excuse. But to be fair there should be signs as it shouldnt be assumed that people will do the proper things whilst on the road, some folks need guidance :D

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Should put Christmas lights on those trees, would look good!

Hmmm. Not a bad idea.

Advertisement