Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

O Riain wrote: »
    You feeling alright? :D

Never better!!!:D

Cabaal wrote: »
    But it'll be an accident caused by drivers assuming the road layout, people do this even when road markings are in place for months or years.

Examples.
    - The idiots who drove in the wrong lanes at the interchange at the end of the M9 where you go down onto the bypass. (in the end the council just changed the road markings after numerous crashes and near misses)
    - The idiots who still use the left lane to go straight on when driving from the Dunmore road on the Ardkean roundabout, this also happens at numerous other roundabouts with the same more efficient road layout.

Little bit different on the Quay though. There is absolutely zero warning that the lane is ending. None at all. I hope I am wrong, but it is bordering on recklessness not to warn people about it. We all know it's there - but what about the thousands flocking to Winterval?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

After all the rushing to get the roundabout finished and the trees planted for winterval, I was disgusted to look at the state of the roundabout today- surrounded by cones and the gaudiest advertising ever for a retirement service I think, stuck with cable ties onto traffic barriers all around the sculpture in the middle. Imagine if some crowd were to put something like that around the spire, or the clock tower? We should be trying to make the place look good for Winterval.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its a bit odd alright, there's little bells or something on the stand for the ship so I presumed that the company were one of the sponsors for Winterville.

Tonight they are resurfacing the right hand lane outside the Bridge, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Anyone notice in the last two weeks that the traffic lights on bridge street to the quay are alot faster? They only stay on for abt 4.5secs.
    Three times this week in the evenings there has been a traffic cop beconning the traffic on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I have noticed from about 4 pm onwards the lights at the tower hotel to go down the mall change to a sequence that's only allows 3-4 cars at a time go through. Causes some delays

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

thomasm wrote: »
    I have noticed from about 4 pm onwards the lights at the tower hotel to go down the mall change to a sequence that's only allows 3-4 cars at a time go through. Causes some delays

Went into town yesterday about 4pm and didn't hit traffic until the tower hotel,
    Didn't mind as the city centre was bustling, were I did notice a problem was cars turning up to city square where backed onto the main road,
    Again problem caused by Christmas traffic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nypd wrote: »
    Went into town yesterday about 4pm and didn't hit traffic until the tower hotel,
    Didn't mind as the city centre was bustling, were I did notice a problem was cars turning up to city square where backed onto the main road,
    Again problem caused by Christmas traffic.

A problem we have for years too!

Sully wrote: »
    A problem we have for years too!

But now exacerbated. The traffic coming from the bridge wanting to go to City Square has to go to the new roundabout. It can't turn back up the Quay as there is already a queue. It in turn holds up traffic heading towards the Tower Hotel. In the past there was a filter lane so it wasn't an issue. How this was not spotted in advance is truly surreal.

that's what was wrong! I thought there was a crash at the roundabout yesterday, there was nothing moving at all, I managed to do a u-turn and get off the quay.

Right so they now 2 yellow boxes on the roundabout and barrier poles lining the roundabout to stop cars mounting to the footpath to use the post office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    that's what was wrong! I thought there was a crash at the roundabout yesterday, there was nothing moving at all, I managed to do a u-turn and get off the quay.

Right so they now 2 yellow boxes on the roundabout and barrier poles lining the roundabout to stop cars mounting to the footpath to use the post office.
    Funny thing is the "footpath"is now wider than the road at that point ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

It's volume lads nothing else you cannot build a road infrastructure for Christmas week .
    Come back next week and it'll be fine..
    Happy Christmas .

wellboytoo wrote: »
    It's volume lads nothing else you cannot build a road infrastructure for Christmas week .
    Come back next week and it'll be fine..
    Happy Christmas .

I still think that roundabout was a huge mistake. And it will be removed. But Happy Christmas to you and yours too. Hope it's a good one.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    I still think that roundabout was a huge mistake. And it will be removed. But Happy Christmas to you and yours too. Hope it's a good one.:)

I like the idea of the roundabout for stopping traffic blocking up the road turning right into City Square. Personally, I just think its too big and looks ugly.

City Square isn't always so busy that it will result in tailbacks and traffic disruption on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC00329_zps6fab0cab.jpg

7am this morning , but it ain't easy for these 70' trucks to arrive at City Square without some disruption to traffic .

That roundabout must be tight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

DSC00329_zps6fab0cab.jpg

That roundabout must be tight .

only the first time baby.......

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

cant believe how quite it has gone on this thread, all the moaning and now nothing,things must be good on the quay no reports of all the traffic carnage etc, cant wait till the works start on the second phase,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Still think there should be no right turn coming off the bridge. they've even made a right arrow for it now?

I think once they paint the lines at that junction it will me much better, there is room but you have to be in very close to the footpath to make it work.

There is still an issue with Pedestrians crossing all over the place but the council don't seem bothered.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think once they paint the lines at that junction it will me much better, there is room but you have to be in very close to the footpath to make it work.

There is still an issue with Pedestrians crossing all over the place but the council don't seem bothered.

Is it rue that the city Council are meeting some traders with relation to the affect on business of the traffic layout on the Quay?

And also that the 'no left turn' to Bridge Street is to be revoked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There seems to be an increased level of people running red lights but then that's just people, can't blame the layout for that.

7upfree wrote: »
    And also that the 'no left turn' to Bridge Street is to be revoked?

Has that not always been there?

It was always there and everyone turned left especially taxis, but I have never seen so many drivers turning left as do now, I'm pretty sure the pedestrian crossing shows green for pedestrians when the 'do not turn left' light is lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I don't think it has. The arrows still on the road in the left lane still have left, right and straight. I've always turned left there.
    The only no left turn was for the road up the side of Spirit/Emerald Isle.
    Has that not always been there?

http://goo.gl/maps/anhm4

anhm4

Its been no left turn there for a good while, maybe since they made the bus parking bigger for the Bridge the last time.

From this pic it looks like they just erased the left turn arrow! or it usual funny google maps image.

smaoifs wrote: »
    I don't think it has. The arrows still on the road in the left lane still have left, right and straight. I've always turned left there.
    The only no left turn was for the road up the side of Spirit/Emerald Isle.

I can't say I recall any road markings for turning left. I seem to even recall a sign as you approach indicating no left turn. For as long as I can remember, it's always been no left turn.

Nothing to do with the road works, they just made it more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I can't say I recall any road markings for turning left. I seem to even recall a sign as you approach indicating no left turn. For as long as I can remember, it's always been no left turn.

Nothing to do with the road works, they just made it more obvious.

Your right there was never a left turn there, the odd person used to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There wasn't a no left turn there until the recent works. There were road marking showing a left turn. Just a couple of clicks further from the street view image posted above. Although it was worn a bit.
    DUiGfJW.jpg

Kahless wrote: »
    There wasn't a no left turn there until the recent works. There were road marking showing a left turn. Just a couple of clicks further from the street view image posted above. Although it was worn a bit.
    DUiGfJW.jpg

Learn something new every day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Well now you can unlearn it again :p

Advertisement