Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    I can't say I recall any road markings for turning left. I seem to even recall a sign as you approach indicating no left turn. For as long as I can remember, it's always been no left turn.

Nothing to do with the road works, they just made it more obvious.

There was always a left turn into Bridge Street. Been there for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

There definitely used to be a left turn up onto bridge st some of the buses used to take that route it was for a short period tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

Despite all the signs telling you no left turn there is still road markings with arrows showing left rignt and straight on !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I still see people turning left every time I'm at that junction, despite the prominent 'no left turn' signs. Not sure why they rounded the corner of the kerb if they don't want people to turn left.

As a previous poster noted, the pedestrian light now goes green (for a time) for crossing Bridge Street when the traffic lights are green driving off the quay. There'll be an accident someday if the 'no left turn' sign continues to be ignored.

Despite all the signs telling you no left turn there is still road markings with arrows showing left rignt and straight on !

About time they repainted the road markings up there. How many weeks now have the roadworks been 'complete'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gadgie wrote: »
    I still see people turning left every time I'm at that junction, despite the prominent 'no left turn' signs. Not sure why they rounded the corner of the kerb if they don't want people to turn left.

I got to say, anytime I've seen people doing this turn its always been taxi's.

Cabaal wrote: »

Yep, they're some of the worst offenders alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Cabaal wrote: »

I really thought it was just me, cant understand why either, usually I meet them doing a u-turn at the bus station, then they pass the turn up Vulcan st (?)and go up bridge st instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

Road markings changed now. also new road markings ie white lines painted few weeks ago have now been planed off for resurfacing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Road markings changed now. also new road markings ie white lines painted few weeks ago have now been planed off for resurfacing ?

Can anyone explain the logic of this decision? Painted the road markings at the bridge hotel end of the quay and then a week or so later rip them up and re do them (identically from what I can see)

The road markings with the filter lane for going right when you come across the bridge are a huge improvement and so is the light sequence if you are come from Bilberry side in the evenings so all in all I'm happy with the end result just don't understand the activity of the last couple of evenings.

What's the quay like these days at 5.30? Coming in from the Dunmore road side

• Advertisement

I only ever pass the quay between 11pm and 1 am, pity, kinda miss it, but I can save 10 mins by taking a rat run through town.

I felt sorry for the guys working all last week in the heavy rain, much better now that its dry.

I'm glad they have resurfaced the end of bridge st and repainted the markings. Looks like the first go was a dry run!

I was in the outside lane one wet night, going past the Bridge to the station, I kept in to the new lines and the guy on the left of me blew me out of it, thinking I was trying to push him into the left side of the bridge.

Not liking the tiny new bus lane from the new roundabout to just past the zebra crossing, cant see the point other than frustrating non bus traffic. The fact that cyclists have to share this bus lane just looks dangerous.

I finally got a reply form Waterford CC about the risk to pedestrians jaywalking across the road due to the new meridian between the AIB and Befranks, basically the answer was that provision have been made to slow traffic and pedestrians crossing will just slow traffic even more making it safer.

Also even the council are parking just off the roundabout outside the GPO, the footpath will be in bits after a year, seriously need bollards there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Not liking the tiny new bus lane from the new roundabout to just past the zebra crossing, cant see the point other than frustrating non bus traffic. The fact that cyclists have to share this bus lane just looks dangerous.

Shared bus/cycle lanes are the norm in UK and Ireland unfortunately,
    They don't work and are very dangerous for cyclists,

The best cycle lane layout I've seen has to be Amsterdam, it shows just how well things can work

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

What I have noticed with all the work done, is there is no bin on the Quay by the bus stops. There used to be one. There is no place to dispose of litter.

The only place in the world I'd cycle is Amsterdam, its looks like the cyclists and trams came first and they just made a bit of room for cars later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Disappointed nothing has being done on street lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Just some of the "new cycle" lanes on the quay!

If there's not room to do a job right don't do it at all!!!

As for the bus lane at the plaza, pointless

I really cant understand the bus lane at the plaza, is the idea that buses can undertake the traffic between the roundabout and 50m down the road and then the Tramore bus has to merge with the right hand lane.

But all other traffic for the Dunmore Rd has to pile into the right lane and then back over to the left lane 50m later.

Anyway , I never go down the quay anymore so doesnt really made any odds, I just go up Bridge st and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Any idea when they plan on starting the next section - outside the Granville?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Problem: city centre needs to attract more people into the city centre to increase footfall in order to attract more retailers and address the under performance of the city centre in retail and jobs terms.

Solution: Implement a traffic management scheme on the main route through the city centre that is bordering on the ridiculous, makes it more difficult for people to access the city centre and makes accessing the car parks more difficult therefore encouraging people to avoid the city centre and shop elsewhere.

The problem is that the bypass is not being used because it is tolled. Screwing up the Quay with an absurd scheme is not going to change that.

Totally agree, but if the plan to move the car parks to the gas works comes to fruition, then we won't need to ever drive down the quay.

At this stage I'm starting to think they want gridlock on the quay so the CC can scream for another bypass.

I still don't know if I would use the bypass if it was free, I have only used it once since the tall ships! Great for going to cork.... thats it really. Its much faster to go up Bridge st, onto Carrickpherish and join the bypass after Harvey Norman.

Anyway, I'm glad the new roundabout will not mean no St. Patrick's parade going down the quay, where it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Still loving the random appearance of a cycle lane at the Clock Tower, causing every car in the left lane to careen right, whether you let them in or not... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

At this stage I'm starting to think they want gridlock on the quay so the CC can scream for another bypass.

Where??

The bypass has taken lots of HGV's out of the city but the real problem is so many people from Tip, KK, Wexford work in the city and unless they are working the opposite end of the city it's useless.

I don't think the tols are a big issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Implement a traffic management scheme on the main route through the city centre that is bordering on the ridiculous, makes it more difficult for people to access the city centre and makes accessing the car parks more difficult

I find it easier to access the car parks with the new system because I don't have to wait for a gap in traffic to cross the road. Turning right off of Keizer St. is a lot better too.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I don't think the tolls are a big issue here.

Of course they are.

Someone using the bypass twice a day, five days a week, to go to and from work (is the charge €2?) will ad an extra €1040 to their yearly motoring costs. And it's not an issue??

The Quay is truly a disaster. The pan for a bus lane from the GPO to Reginald's Tower defies belief. Let's say the Hillview bus takes the bus lane. It needs to get back out to the outer lane to get back on route. At the same time you have someone needing to take the Dunmore Road lane at the tower wanting to get back into the inner lane.

Absolute and utter madness.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Problem: city centre needs to attract more people into the city centre to increase footfall in order to attract more retailers and address the under performance of the city centre in retail and jobs terms.

Solution: Implement a traffic management scheme on the main route through the city centre that is bordering on the ridiculous, makes it more difficult for people to access the city centre and makes accessing the car parks more difficult therefore encouraging people to avoid the city centre and shop elsewhere.

The problem is that the bypass is not being used because it is tolled. Screwing up the Quay with an absurd scheme is not going to change that.

Agree 100%. Blinkered planning at its very worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

see a ambulance try to filter true the new layout thank god it was only in the parade today

I did see the ambulance try get down from the clock tower to the plaza, it scuffed the meridian, the bus stop at the clock tower was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I really cant understand the bus lane at the plaza, is the idea that buses can undertake the traffic between the roundabout and 50m down the road and then the Tramore bus has to merge with the right hand lane.

But all other traffic for the Dunmore Rd has to pile into the right lane and then back over to the left lane 50m later.

What buses are getting held up by the plaza? None is the answer so why put in a bus lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    Any idea when they plan on starting the next section - outside the Granville?

It's probably too early to start yet in case it might be finished for Spraoi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Supposed to start this week!

Advertisement