Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh that's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I read in a local paper today that a woman and child where hit by a car while crossing the road from Gladstone street thankfully the child was un-hurt but her mother had to be brought to adrkeen i think

Can't find the story, but i'm taking for granted that they were crossing from Gladstone Street across the Quay. If that was the case, why didn't she walk the hundred or so yards left up the Quay to the traffic lights by Flowers by Lucy, or a couple of hundred the other direction towards the lights by the Clock Tower?

I don't want to take away from the seriousness of the incident, and i hope she makes a full recovery, but crossing the Quay there is idiotic, especially with a buggy. It's laziness, and could have been completely avoided.

Again, that's if she was crossing the Quay.

And most accidents involving pedestrians being hit on the Quay are the same, people are too lazy to walk to the nearest, safe pedestrian crossing. I still see people walking down the middle of the Quay, between 4 lanes of traffic, waiting to get across. People need to realise it's the main road, and start treating it as such, and using the pedestrian crossings instead of chancing it. Granted, motorists also need to slow down, but motorists shouldn't have to deal with pedestrians taking chances or walking out from behind parked cars, on top of keeping an eye out for idiotic drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Can't find the story, but i'm taking for granted that they were crossing from Gladstone Street across the Quay. If that was the case, why didn't she walk the hundred or so yards left up the Quay to the traffic lights by Flowers by Lucy, or a couple of hundred the other direction towards the lights by the Clock Tower?

I don't want to take away from the seriousness of the incident, and i hope she makes a full recovery, but crossing the Quay there is idiotic, especially with a buggy. It's laziness, and could have been completely avoided.

Again, that's if she was crossing the Quay.

And most accidents involving pedestrians being hit on the Quay are the same, people are too lazy to walk to the nearest, safe pedestrian crossing. I still see people walking down the middle of the Quay, between 4 lanes of traffic, waiting to get across. People need to realise it's the main road, and start treating it as such, and using the pedestrian crossings instead of chancing it. Granted, motorists also need to slow down, but motorists shouldn't have to deal with pedestrians taking chances or walking out from behind parked cars, on top of keeping an eye out for idiotic drivers.

Saw much the same yesterday - a woman walked straight out under a learner driver under instruction opposite Shaws yesterday. A complete moron. Pure laziness and has nothing to do with the road layout.

Sully wrote: »
    I personally find the quay much nicer than it was before, with the exception of the roundabout which I think is too big and the ugliest construction on our quayside.

I hate to point to the obvious - but the roundabout is not an exception - it is completely out of character and ruins the entire scheme. Won't be there for long I'd say.

I want to visit and use the city centre and I think the changes have made it more difficult, I find the quay is a disaster. Furthermore the changes were actually meant to help people who need to "fly" through the city as well as everyone else, it was meant to be easier and faster to enter and exit the city, couldn't be more unsuccessful. The only place I have seen or heard positive comments regarding the revamped quay is by a small number of posters on boards, very strange indeed.

Not everyone can afford to waste their petrol and take a tour of the outskirts of the city suburbs, not everyone can afford to use the bypass. It may surprise you to read that money is a real issue for many people in Waterford.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Its on page 3 of the news and star it happened at 3:30pm last friday and they were both thrown into the air according to the article

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Does anyone know who to contact about the traffic lights?

I was thinking about the sequencing of the traffic light at Lombard St and the Mall and I think a change in the sequence of the pedestrian crossing would help a lot.

There is a problem for traffic coming from the dunmore road side with the junction being blocked and only 3 or 4 cars getting through on green with traffic backing up to De la Salle at peak times.

Currently the pedestrian light goes after the green from Lombard street to the mall/Quay - however if it was to go before that green light then the traffic from the mall that frequently is blocking this junction would be given time to clear.

Now maybe the problem at the junction would transfer to the traffic coming towards the quay from the Mall but I think it would be worth trying out for a while to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

dougal wrote: »
    Does anyone know who to contact about the traffic lights?

I emailed the traffic department in the (former) city council last year about the sequencing of the lights on the bridge, but never received a response - even an acknowledgement.

You could try contacting the new council (details here), but I emailed them last week (eight days ago) about something else, and they have yet to get back to me. I would ring them, but my network doesn't recognise the 0761 number they have listed.

On a separate note, I see left turns off the quay onto Bridge St are now allowed. The signs have been removed, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gadgie wrote: »
    On a separate note, I see left turns off the quay onto Bridge St are now allowed. The signs have been removed, at least.

Will have to have a look at that later, the new footpath doesn't give much room for turning left, especially not to anything bigger than a hatchback!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Isn't the issue with turning left is if it is backed up going up Bridge St for whatever reason, then all it takes is one douchebag waiting to turn left to block up the quay. It shouldn't be allowed IMO.

• Advertisement

I was mortified to hear on both Newstalk and today Fm this evening about the 'roadworks on the Quay in Waterford'

They just have it as a mention on the AA traffic news even if there is a queue of not.

Hook said, good god, roadworks in Waterford on the quay, its bad enough along there with out roadworks too. Today FM said roadworks on the quay in Waterford and another person commented avoid avoid avoid.

I wouldn't mind but there is no delays yet, all the work is off road or between 10pm and 6am.

The mall s so bad now that if someone told me that a few kids from the squashy couch had hacked the lights and were pissing themselves every evening looking at the 2 cars getting through lights every evening.

It's getting to the point down there were 50% of cars are passing the lights when they are on red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was mortified to hear on both Newstalk and today Fm this evening about the 'roadworks on the Quay in Waterford'

They just have it as a mention on the AA traffic news even if there is a queue of not.

Hook said, good god, roadworks in Waterford on the quay, its bad enough along there with out roadworks too. Today FM said roadworks on the quay in Waterford and another person commented avoid avoid avoid.

I wouldn't mind but there is no delays yet, all the work is off road or between 10pm and 6am.

The mall s so bad now that if someone told me that a few kids from the squashy couch had hacked the lights and were pissing themselves every evening looking at the 2 cars getting through lights every evening.

It's getting to the point down there were 50% of cars are passing the lights when they are on red.

I think wait times are about the same as they always were. It would all probably flow bit better if people obeyed rules of road. Primarily, its hardly a big issue that a radio channel is reporting roadworks that are actually happening. As for avoid avoid avoid, do avoid the area if you can around 9 and 5, just common sense, take a different route.
    I really hope they dont reinstall that left at bridge hotel, silly complaints when all you had to do is turn left 20metres back, people hysterically complaining could now lead to a boo-boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Looking forward to the Spraoi Parade already to see how they manoeuvre their
    way though this. St. Patrick Day should be another good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Looks like it's effected the spraoi parade, as it is turning right at the the clock tower and finishing at the GPO, so it will only be on the Quay for a small stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They wont be going that way.

BtkasuPIUAA8eSC.jpg:large

Trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole again!
    Can you seriously consider the volume of spectators for St. Patrick's Day
    viewing comfortably from the side-lines & the backlog of traffic while
    the performers do their stuff before the Mayor & guests & that's only Patrick's Day!

Trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole again!
    Can you seriously consider the volume of spectators for St. Patrick's Day
    viewing comfortably from the side-lines & the backlog of traffic while
    the performers do their stuff before the Mayor & guests & that's only Patrick's Day!

Someone will be injured or killed!

they'd be better off forgetting about the road and putting the parade through the car parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

This was the parade route last year and thought it was fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

O Riain wrote: »
    This was the parade route last year and thought it was fantastic!

Agree , it was much better for crowd viewing and participation, but when people have an agenda no point letting the truth get in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Agree , it was much better for crowd viewing and participation, but when people have an agenda no point letting the truth get in the way.

These people probably did not even venture into the city last year because of "bad parking" and the "problems on the quay" Gawd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was down home about three weeks ago for the first time and couldn't believe it when I saw the Quay being dug up again, right in the middle of the tourist season as well. I sincerly hope they don't have a repeat of the last debacle where it seemed to go on and on for months.

On my way back out of Waterford I'd normally be going in the night time outside of rush hour. On this occasion I needed to leave around 4.15 was also shocked with the traffic I got caught in coming down by the park down towards Lombard St. It took me at least 20 minutes to get from the petrol station to the Tower Hotel, and I could see the traffic stretching back up the hill to Newtown.

I don't know what's causing that, but they need to sort it quickly. You wouldn't get traffic moving as slowly as that in any other city in Ireland.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I was down home about three weeks ago for the first time and couldn't believe it when I saw the Quay being dug up again, right in the middle of the tourist season as well. I sincerly hope they don't have a repeat of the last debacle where it seemed to go on and on for months.

On my way back out of Waterford I'd normally be going in the night time outside of rush hour. On this occasion I needed to leave around 4.15 was also shocked with the traffic I got caught in coming down by the park down towards Lombard St. It took me at least 20 minutes to get from the petrol station to the Tower Hotel, and I could see the traffic stretching back up the hill to Newtown.

I don't know what's causing that, but they need to sort it quickly. You wouldn't get traffic moving as slowly as that in any other city in Ireland.

Allegedly to continue until February 2015. Allegedly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hardybuck wrote: »
    You wouldn't get traffic moving as slowly as that in any other city in Ireland.

Except Dublin & Cork in my experience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Was driving home from playing football the other night at 10pm and the traffic was backed up to beyond the Theatre Royal all the way down the quay... at 10pm!!!

Anyway I turned around and went back up through Ballybricken and down Bridge Street.

I stupidly forgot to pick something up though in Parcel Motel on the Dunmore Road so had to go back into town straight away. I drove down the quay to see what the hold up was coming out of town and there wasn't a single thing causing the hold up. This is just to be the norm going forward. Rush hour traffic at 10pm at night.

Well played City Council / Planners. Well played

How bad is it down there at actual rush hour? I thankfully don't work on the Dunmore Road anymore so don't have to experience the pain of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Cabaal wrote: »

Don't know if the other cities have intentionally gone out to create slow moving traffic though, unlike Waterford!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

lassykk wrote: »
    Was driving home from playing football the other night at 10pm and the traffic was backed up to beyond the Theatre Royal all the way down the quay... at 10pm!!!

Anyway I turned around and went back up through Ballybricken and down Bridge Street.

I stupidly forgot to pick something up though in Parcel Motel on the Dunmore Road so had to go back into town straight away. I drove down the quay to see what the hold up was coming out of town and there wasn't a single thing causing the hold up. This is just to be the norm going forward. Rush hour traffic at 10pm at night.

Well played City Council / Planners. Well played

How bad is it down there at actual rush hour? I thankfully don't work on the Dunmore Road anymore so don't have to experience the pain of it

The night before last I was on the quay just after 10. It was dead bar a construction truck doing something beside the Post Office.

Last night at 11pm it was also very quiet.

For as long as the roadworks have been ongoing I cannot remember a single night there was a traffic jam. I've also been in the queue of traffic during the day outside the tower hotel to get into City Square and found it moves along fairly swiftly.

Also for the past few months there has been ongoing road works in the heart of Cork City and getting around Cork at the best of times is slow and this just makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

lassykk wrote: »
    Don't know if the other cities have intentionally gone out to create slow moving traffic though, unlike Waterford!

Dublin quays have. Good old 30kmh zones with more lane restrictions planned

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dublin quays have. Good old 30kmh zones with more lane restrictions planned

Even before these came in it was very very far from fast to drive down the quays in Dublin,

A few times I've been in Dublin in taxi's and gotten out of taxi's and walked due to the delays, lets not forget that taxi's can use bus lanes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cabaal wrote: »

Not as bad as this in my experience. Dublin moves. Cork is pretty bad as well, possibly worse than Dublin.

Advertisement