Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

What annoys me about the whole thing is all the work that went into creating the first part the quays and they can't be arsed weeding the beds the new trees went into.
    More or less every single one of them has unsightly weeds growing in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nypd wrote: »
    What annoys me about the whole thing is all the work that went into creating the first part the quays and they can't be arsed weeding the beds the new trees went into.
    More or less every single one of them has unsightly weeds growing in them.

sounds like a job for Eddie Mulligan and the crack-team of street cleaner volunteers......that reads kind of sarcastic, not meant to be, fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cabaal wrote: »
    Which is exactly what you'd see at newlands cross or any other large road improvement scheme.

Its foolish to judge the effectiveness of a new road change when the road change hasn't even been finished.

Imagine if people wanted the red cow interchange stopped on the basis of the problems it caused when it was being built?

Newlands Cross work hasn't really impacted traffic. They moved traffic over to one side during the work - the same amount of lanes are open as far as I can see. They've reduced the speed on the road slightly, but it's moving more or less the way it should. That's something which will speed up traffic also, by removing the last traffic light between Waterford and Belfast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

hardybuck wrote: »
    Newlands Cross work hasn't really impacted traffic. They moved traffic over to one side during the work - the same amount of lanes are open as far as I can see. They've reduced the speed on the road slightly, but it's moving more or less the way it should. That's something which will speed up traffic also, by removing the last traffic light between Waterford and Belfast.

I'd be in Dublin a bit and found the roadworks did impact on traffic in an already congested route during peaktimes. Haven't been up in about a month but up there today & tomorrow, wonder how well it progressed :)

Sully wrote: »
    I'd be in Dublin a bit and found the roadworks did impact on traffic in an already congested route during peaktimes. Haven't been up in about a month but up there today & tomorrow, wonder how well it progressed :)

That is a massive project in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hardybuck wrote: »
    That is a massive project in fairness.

Indeed it is, and on the scale of things in Waterford changing the layout of thew quays is a large project also. We're talking about changing all the lanes and putting in roundabouts.

Its not something that can simply be done overnight and its not something that can be done without having no negative impact on traffic

Roads works impact on traffic, its as simple as that.

And again, judging it's effectiveness before its finished is just silly

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed it is, and on the scale of things in Waterford changing the layout of thew quays is a large project also. We're talking about changing all the lanes and putting in roundabouts.

Its not something that can simply be done overnight and its not something that can be done without having no negative impact on traffic

Roads works impact on traffic, its as simple as that.

And again, judging it's effectiveness before its finished is just silly

Yeah I look to more traffic jams trying to get down to visit the folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I have seen the project myself and i am scratching my head as to whether this roundabout on the quay is really necessary, ripping up the whole road for nothing i reckon, only wasting money. Sure arent the County Councils supposed to spend so much a year anyway on the grounds that they keep receiving their current level of funding from the Government

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I have seen the project myself and i am scratching my head as to whether this roundabout on the quay is really necessary, ripping up the whole road for nothing i reckon, only wasting money. Sure arent the County Councils supposed to spend so much a year anyway on the grounds that they keep receiving their current level of funding from the Government

Why don't you go view the scheme plans then to see the rationale for the second roundabout instead of putting Ill informed comments just as that!!! Or just go back a bit and it is explained, that of course wouldn't fit in with the negative mantra on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whiskeystones

Max Powers wrote: »
    But the work on the quays has been happening since the late summer so do you want it going into next summer if you start in january

Work like this should be done in off peak hours and started in April.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

April would mean it would still start into the tourist season,
    Off peak and overnight working hours would:
    - Cost more
    - Really piss people off living or staying in a hotel on or very near the quays

Doesn't matter when the work started it was going to put in on some people, if you start in the winter the work can be delayed due to weather and it'll also affect already heavy traffic due to schools being on.

If you work during the summer when schools are off and traffic is a little lighter people complain about tourists seeing the work.

If the work starts in the winter and stops during the summer then the place will be an awful mess in between and it could take years to complete the entire quays. Silly silly idea really.

Council can't win,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

And then stopped for June- Sept (peak tourist) restarted in Oct & then stopped for nov-Dec (shopping season) & restarted again! It would take years to complete at that rate - get a life!! Roadworks cause dirruption, there is never a good time to carry them out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funnily enough, on the way to Dublin yesterday I took the route across the quay (I'd usually go over the toll, it comes off my o2 bill each time I use the toll without an admin fee). Arrived at 5pm outside Rapid Cabs, that's further into peak time than my other time report, and it ended up being fairly quick as it was oddly quiet. I got to the Railway Station in 10mins.

It took 10mins to get from Newlands Cross onto the M50 but jesus I ended up on the Southbound Lane when I wanted to go Northbound. Whatever way they changed the lanes at Newlands Cross it's much trickier to cross from the South lane to the North lane as you approach the sliproads as suddenly traffic emerges beside you (they have a wall where there was originally lanes) that wasn't there originally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Facts wrote: »
    Why don't you go view the scheme plans then to see the rationale for the second roundabout instead of putting Ill informed comments just as that!!! Or just go back a bit and it is explained, that of course wouldn't fit in with the negative mantra on this thread!

No negative mantra. People putting their points of view forward. There is no doubt that this arrangement will pay havoc and cause much disruption. Particularly at Christmas with people trying to exit the City Centre from Conduit Lane - and enter it through Exchange Street.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Facts wrote: »

Just making my opinion on the matter, do I care what you think? No I do not and my opinion remains. Mind your own business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    No negative mantra. People putting their points of view forward. There is no doubt that this arrangement will pay havoc and cause much disruption. Particularly at Christmas with people trying to exit the City Centre from Conduit Lane - and enter it through Exchange Street.

Interesting times ahead.

I would dispute that strongly as I think this is where it will be really effective time, as exiting conduit you will Only be able to turn with the traffic and ditto with entering exchange street . So traffic will flow better because no crossing two lanes like we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Traffic backed the whole way from reginalds tower to the bus station coming into the city on Thursday night.
    Very strange I thought.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I would dispute that strongly as I think this is where it will be really effective time, as exiting conduit you will Only be able to turn with the traffic and ditto with entering exchange street . So traffic will flow better because no crossing two lanes like we have at the moment.

And if there's a backup from Exchange Street?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    And if there's a backup from Exchange Street?:confused:[/quote
    step away from the fan! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

hairybelly wrote: »
    Traffic backed the whole way from reginalds tower to the bus station coming into the city on Thursday night.
    Very strange I thought.

That may have been on account of the protest march owing to the conflict in Gaza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

That may have been on account of the protest march owing to the conflict in Gaza.

Ah right. It around 21:30, didnt see anything when I got down to parnell street but possibly.

Was on the quays again today just before 4pm so kept an eye on the time. Took exactly 25mins to get from John Street, down to the railway station and back down to the tower hotel. This is despite the City being at it's busiest and despite the quay being further restricted due to a lane closure to facilitate the music in the Plaza.

In regards to emergency services, last week I saw two ambulances struggle to clear the junction at the Clock Tower. I was waiting to turn into the square so was held up as I spotted the ambulance navigating the narrower lanes to get down. Most cars spread right and left, some mounting the curbing (most didn't have to, about three did) others managed to move into the widening where there were car spaces. Normal driving behaviour on hearing sirens. The ambulances got down quick enough to the clock tower. The first cleared easy and quickly, the second was held up for several seconds as an elderly gentleman simply hadn't a clue what to do and appeared frozen. He had moved into the opening where pedestrians and cars cross over at the tower but in a moment of madness, possibly not knowing there was a second ambulance, he pulled out a little once the first ambulance left and ended up partially blocking the lane. The driver of the second ambulance was clearly fuming at him and despite even me trying to get him to reverse, it took a considerable number of seconds before he acted and moved so the ambulance could move on.

That problem was down to driver error more then the lack of two lanes going down the quay, which had only a minor impact. The old way would have resulted in cars moving out into opposite lanes of traffic to make room down the middle. Now they can't, it's mainly down to drivers on the left to pull into the widening where cars park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Council sent out a message saying the roundabout at Gladstone St. will be operational from Monday 15th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Kahless wrote: »
    Council sent out a message saying the roundabout at Gladstone St. will be operational from Monday 15th.

Its kinda operational now i drove from gladstone street right on to the quay today and they were digging up parts just across from the aib bank today too whatever thats about

anybody know why the mall is closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

anybody know why the mall is closed?

The mall is closed due to the Harvest Festival being on this weekend. Stalls are being set up on the mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Kahless wrote: »

They were working on it at 11.30 last night, about time they got moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

danjo-xx wrote: »
    They were working on it at 11.30 last night, about time they got moving.

They built the Newlands Cross flyover quicker than 2 phases of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

with the millions that have been spent on all this green route nonsense ,

would it not have been a simple idea in hindsight to have made a pedestrian black and white crossing at the creche on the manor as the nearest crossings are too far up ?

wellboytoo wrote: »

Last year the traffic was running tom the entrance to City Square, back down Exchange Street, and back up past Shaws (where the new roundabout is now).

If you have traffic LEAVING City Square and some of tis wants to come back down the Quay at Gladstone Street (and cannot) that will back the traffic back up as far as the exit FROM City Square.

Utter lunacy.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Was on the quays again today just before 4pm so kept an eye on the time. Took exactly 25mins to get from John Street, down to the railway station and back down to the tower hotel. This is despite the City being at it's busiest and despite the quay being further restricted due to a lane closure to facilitate the music in the Plaza.

In regards to emergency services, last week I saw two ambulances struggle to clear the junction at the Clock Tower. I was waiting to turn into the square so was held up as I spotted the ambulance navigating the narrower lanes to get down. Most cars spread right and left, some mounting the curbing (most didn't have to, about three did) others managed to move into the widening where there were car spaces. Normal driving behaviour on hearing sirens. The ambulances got down quick enough to the clock tower. The first cleared easy and quickly, the second was held up for several seconds as an elderly gentleman simply hadn't a clue what to do and appeared frozen. He had moved into the opening where pedestrians and cars cross over at the tower but in a moment of madness, possibly not knowing there was a second ambulance, he pulled out a little once the first ambulance left and ended up partially blocking the lane. The driver of the second ambulance was clearly fuming at him and despite even me trying to get him to reverse, it took a considerable number of seconds before he acted and moved so the ambulance could move on.

That problem was down to driver error more then the lack of two lanes going down the quay, which had only a minor impact. The old way would have resulted in cars moving out into opposite lanes of traffic to make room down the middle. Now they can't, it's mainly down to drivers on the left to pull into the widening where cars park.

Try doing all of that when traffic is backed up at Winterval peak times. Let me know how it works out for you.....

Advertisement