Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

with the millions that have been spent on all this green route nonsense ,

would it not have been a simple idea in hindsight to have made a pedestrian black and white crossing at the creche on the manor as the nearest crossings are too far up ?

I reckon that will happen now. i was just thinking same thing, probably needed there.

The green route will/has make/made the quays which have seen many accidents much safer, it has slowed down the bad drivers who think its a drag strip and swing from one lane to another, diverted some trucks off the quay (hopefully more soon) and generally made it safer and nicer for pedestrians. We can pretty much agree that the 2 lane option wasnt great as people tended to park in one lane making more swerving happen and even more dangerous. People will have to get over the fact that the city centre is a city centre, not some place to tear-thru on their way to somewhere else. I pass it a lot and even with the road works, i dont think passing thru time has increased noticably. Who wants a dual carriage way in the city centre anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    Last year the traffic was running tom the entrance to City Square, back down Exchange Street, and back up past Shaws (where the new roundabout is now).

If you have traffic LEAVING City Square and some of tis wants to come back down the Quay at Gladstone Street (and cannot) that will back the traffic back up as far as the exit FROM City Square.

Utter lunacy.

I hear where your coming from, but at least now you have several escape routes with the roundabouts which you had not before,the whole idea is about traffic flow, in saying that I think it will be next Christmas before it wioll be tweaked enough to be relatively painless.
    So expect pain, or park in Millars marsh or Bolton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I hear where your coming from, but at least now you have several escape routes with the roundabouts which you had not before,the whole idea is about traffic flow, in saying that I think it will be next Christmas before it wioll be tweaked enough to be relatively painless.
    So expect pain, or park in Millars marsh or Bolton street.

I won't be experiencing the pain. But we sure will alienate a lot of visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

7upfree wrote: »
    I won't be experiencing the pain. But we sure will alienate a lot of visitors.

This is my biggest problem with the whole debacle. This is the third Winterval where we will invest thousands to attract people to the city who don't know where they are going in the first place. We will then hit them between the eyes with traffic mayhem yet again. Many won't come back and there is an old rule of thumb in marketing that people who have a bad experience tell about five times as many people about it as people who had a good experience.

As an earlier poster has pointed out they have built a flyover faster at Newland's Cross on the busiest road in the country. When the fucc is this farce going to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 extratime

I have twice recently seen that emergency vehicles were having a problem getting through on the quays. First time an ambulance, and yesterday a fire engine. Larger vehicles have nowhere to go to allow them to pass. The quays are a mess.

• Advertisement

extratime wrote: »
    I have twice recently seen that emergency vehicles were having a problem getting through on the quays. First time an ambulance, and yesterday a fire engine. Larger vehicles have nowhere to go to allow them to pass. The quays are a mess.

Ah but ya see, some will suggest you're imagining this....or that the ambulance could take a longer alternative route............

Deise Vu wrote: »
    As an earlier poster has pointed out they have built a flyover faster at Newland's Cross on the busiest road in the country. When the fucc is this farce going to end?

Who knows? It's a lottery at the minute.

AFAIK the work will stop before December recommence in January and finish In spring when it reaches the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

AFAIK the work will stop before December recommence in January and finish In spring when it reaches the bridge.

There will be about a week with no roadworks and then, when Spraoi is on the horizon, the roads will all be dug up again to put in water meters or to fix water mains or put in broadband or to bury electricity cables because you couldn't possibly be doing these things simultaneously. That would make sense.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    There will be about a week with no roadworks and then, when Spraoi is on the horizon, the roads will all be dug up again to put in water meters or to fix water mains or put in broadband or to bury electricity cables because you couldn't possibly be doing these things simultaneously. That would make sense.

im afriad we are not unique here in Waterford on that front.
    as for the ambulances delay, its pathetic drivers which usually cause the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Max Powers wrote: »
    as for the ambulances delay, its pathetic drivers which usually cause the delay.

I think the issue now is have the cars space to pull over? Probably they do, but it's quite tight in sections.

I was last on the section two weeks ago, and I still find it less than user friendly. I actually have to do more changing of lanes now than before.

I'm prepared to reserve judgement until I see the final product, but I'd say it's caused a hell of a lot of confusion and disruption for tourists and daystippers alike.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the issue now is have the cars space to pull over? Probably they do, but it's quite tight in sections.

I was last on the section two weeks ago, and I still find it less than user friendly. I actually have to do more changing of lanes now than before.

I'm prepared to reserve judgement until I see the final product, but I'd say it's caused a hell of a lot of confusion and disruption for tourists and daystippers alike.

couldnt really be correct when they have removed a large amount of the lanes, only 2 lane bits are either end. as for confusion, i think its the same as the rounadbout between m9 and way into city, bad drivers just cant seem to get it, pick a lane, stay in it until your exit comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

couldnt really be correct when they have removed a large amount of the lanes, only 2 lane bits are either end. as for confusion, i think its the same as the rounadbout between m9 and way into city, bad drivers just cant seem to get it, pick a lane, stay in it until your exit comes around.

No, correct. For example, I used to turn left at the bridge, and stay in the left lane until I reached the tower. Simple. Used to be the same on the way back going to the M9 if people weren't abandoning cars in the left lane.

Now when I turn left coming into Waterford I need to move from the left into a centre lane after Dooleys? After that you come through the last roundabout and I think there is a few metres of left lane before you have the hilariously short bus lane, and then you can go back into the left again.

I know where I'm going. Many tourists and daytrippers don't. The M9 was poorly signposted when it first got up and running, as is the Quay.

No, correct. For example, I used to turn left at the bridge, and stay in the left lane until I reached the tower. Simple. Used to be the same on the way back going to the M9 if people weren't abandoning cars in the left lane.

Now when I turn left coming into Waterford I need to move from the left into a centre lane after Dooleys? After that you come through the last roundabout and I think there is a few metres of left lane before you have the hilariously short bus lane, and then you can go back into the left again.

I know where I'm going. Many tourists and daytrippers don't. The M9 was poorly signposted when it first got up and running, as is the Quay.

Fair enough on frist bit (Bridge to Tower direction), you're right but it was virtually impossible to stay in kerb lane going the other way. I dont think there was an issue with signage on m9, just bad drivers. as for signage on quay, dont know, you could be right, presume it will be sorted on finish if there is lack of signage

?????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

At least wait until it's finished and the new layout is done.

There will be one lane when you come off the bridge until you get to the end of the Plaza. You won't be changing lanes all along there any more. You're imagining the lane before the bus lane too. There's a car park entry/exit there.

Here's a PDF showing the route
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jdetfa00ha1kni/Greenroutes.pdf?dl=0

Kahless wrote: »
    At least wait until it's finished and the new layout is done.

There will be one lane when you come off the bridge until you get to the end of the Plaza. You won't be changing lanes all along there any more. You're imagining the lane before the bus lane too. There's a car park entry/exit there.

Here's a PDF showing the route
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jdetfa00ha1kni/Greenroutes.pdf?dl=0

With a bus which has been forced into the bus lane needing to get back into the outside lane..............

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I see that they are doing resurfacing the next 3 nights from 7pm to 6am (9pm Friday) with stop go signs in operation.
    Gladstone st will be closed at these times also.

They must be nearing completion of this phase in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 extratime

As an observer to what happened, it was not "pathetic drivers" causing the delay. There was nowhere for them to go. That's why I made the comment!

On the other occasion it was a fire engine trying to get through, there is no space for a vehicle of that size to get past vehicles that have nowhere to pull over to.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Was walking down the quay last Sunday and watched as an ambulance made its way up. It didn't exactly fly along but there didn't seem to be any major problems either. The thing that made it stick in my head was seeing a girl pull her car over to the side to allow the ambulance get past and watching the two cars behind her take the opportunity to overtake her.

• Advertisement

extratime wrote: »
    As an observer to what happened, it was not "pathetic drivers" causing the delay. There was nowhere for them to go. That's why I made the comment!

On the other occasion it was a fire engine trying to get through, there is no space for a vehicle of that size to get past vehicles that have nowhere to pull over to.

you will see in my original post that it I say 'usually' pathetic drivers cause delay, i think im correct on that, i would guess that the road is in general wide enough for cars to pull in on left and leave ambulance pass. I could maybe see an issue in some places such as if traffic was in both lanes at the bus lane reginalds tower bit (basically same as it was for years apart from bus designation) but all in all, i reckon it will be easier for ambulances to get thru compared to the mess that the quay was before.

you will see in my original post that it I say 'usually' pathetic drivers cause delay, i think im correct on that, i would guess that the road is in general wide enough for cars to pull in on left and leave ambulance pass. I could maybe see an issue in some places such as if traffic was in both lanes at the bus lane reginalds tower bit (basically same as it was for years apart from bus designation) but all in all, i reckon it will be easier for ambulances to get thru compared to the mess that the quay was before.

That's up there with "pilot error".......

All tarmac laid over night , car parks full traffic flowing nicely still some small works going on. Looking good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All tarmac laid over night , car parks full traffic flowing nicely still some small works going on. Looking good

LIES! You're what's wrong with this country, I tell ya! *shakes fist*

Council should be ASHAMED! I'd do a FAR BETTER JOB!

The Vikings would turn in their grave boi.

PS The emergency services are struggling and this is the only road in the WORLD where emergency services have no room to overtake. Just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Sully wrote: »

PS The emergency services are struggling and this is the only road in the WORLD where emergency services have no room to overtake. Just FYI.

now that's sarcasm.

Could the ambulances fly thru when it was 2 lanes, when one permanently blocked by ignorant drivers? people on here think that having a 2-lane type road in the middle of a city is a good idea. That goes against everything that all cities are at. Do they think the old layout was safer? surely not
    Do they think the old layout looked better and was more friendly to pedestrians and tourists and cyclists? Do they think the quays were a zip-thru zone with no traffic jams? The list is long on how better this is, it just took longer than it should, no arguement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

kw4ec5aea4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Could the ambulances fly thru when it was 2 lanes, when one permanently blocked by ignorant drivers? people on here think that having a 2-lane type road in the middle of a city is a good idea. That goes against everything that all cities are at. Do they think the old layout was safer? surely not
    Do they think the old layout looked better and was more friendly to pedestrians and tourists and cyclists? Do they think the quays were a zip-thru zone with no traffic jams? The list is long on how better this is, it just took longer than it should, no arguement there.

Who cares about these vermin? They shouldn't be on the road - certainly not the quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I recall a wise person once remarking that a Local Authority accepts engineers Private Industry rejects. 'Nuff said!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Minister wrote: »
    I recall a wise person once remarking that a Local Authority accepts engineers Private Industry rejects. 'Nuff said!!

Really now? I'm sure it's that simple all right... a bit like the "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach" boll.ox we had to listen to from those Celtic Tiger Land Cruiser types circa 2005/2006.

Advertisement