Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Minister wrote: »
    I recall a wise person once remarking that a Local Authority accepts engineers Private Industry rejects. 'Nuff said!!

Actually these designs are rarely if ever done in house in a local authority anymore, their engineers would be supervising the works only by and large.

Sully wrote: »
    LIES! You're what's wrong with this country, I tell ya! *shakes fist*

Council should be ASHAMED! I'd do a FAR BETTER JOB!

The Vikings would turn in their grave boi.

PS The emergency services are struggling and this is the only road in the WORLD where emergency services have no room to overtake. Just FYI.

You're Colm Williamson aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

padraig.od wrote: »
    now that's sarcasm.

Anything to take the focus off FG I suppose............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »
    Could the ambulances fly thru when it was 2 lanes, when one permanently blocked by ignorant drivers? people on here think that having a 2-lane type road in the middle of a city is a good idea. That goes against everything that all cities are at. Do they think the old layout was safer? surely not
    Do they think the old layout looked better and was more friendly to pedestrians and tourists and cyclists? Do they think the quays were a zip-thru zone with no traffic jams? The list is long on how better this is, it just took longer than it should, no arguement there.

Completely disagree with you. The problem is not just how long it is taking. I cycle about 200km a week and walk around the city centre a lot so nobody would benefit more than me by the city centre being friendlier to pedestrians and cyclists, not to mention the driving I do. However this project is just so ill-conceived and based on illogical thinking. It completely smacks of there was finding available and they when ahead with it without really assessing its suitability in the current context of the city centre.

They could have put a centre island the whole length of The Quay and maintained two lanes in both directions. This would prevent the creation of the bottle-necks they have created. What possible benefit is it to anybody or anything to have traffic backed up because cars can’t get past cars queuing to go into the car parks on The Quay? The roundabouts are needed but the way they have been built is a shambles. They are not suitable for the volume of traffic that uses The Quay which leads me to the next problem. Hypothetically speaking if all the through traffic used the bypass The Quay would still be a busy road, it needs the two lanes in each direction. Also, what in the name of god is the way they did outside Fieldmaster about?

This project is being built in the context that attempts are being made to increase the number of people shopping in the city centre. People come in cars and the city council are reducing the capacity of the city centre to move cars in. Not to mention it is creating an incentive for locals to avoid the city centre.

Also this is not what all cities are at. I have been in a lot to cycling and pedestrian friendly cities around Europe they have none of this carry on.

Millions are being spent on this project and it does not do one thing to address the real problem with The Quay that it is all car parks. The city council already compulsory purchased one of the car park a few years back. These millions would be better spent on compulsory purchasing the rest and turning them into a river front park which all cities with river fronts have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

[quote="BBM77;9323These millions would be better spent on compulsory purchasing the rest and turning them into a river front park which all cities with river fronts have done.[/quote]

Like Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It was carnage today. I came down from Dublin this morn and when I hit the bridge it was gridlock all down the quay. Turned around by shaws and went to Parnell st via ballybricken. I also didn't notice any signs for a winterval park and ride on the ferrybank side of town. Not particularly appealing from anybody travelling in from the motorway.

Edit: it's not even aesthetically nice. It looks really muddled together

Like Where?

St Louis and Pittsburgh to name two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

BBM77 wrote: »
    St Louis and Pittsburgh to name two examples.

Thats not compairing like with like really is it? 50,000 people in waterford, 2.1million in st louis, 1.7 million in pittsburg.

You cant just get rid of half the citys car parks and build a green area because its pretty.

Thats not compairing like with like really is it? 50,000 people in waterford, 2.1million in st louis, 1.7 million in pittsburg.

You cant just get rid of half the citys car parks and build a green area because its pretty.

I’m not comparing Waterford with these cities you are. I gave these as examples of how river frontage can be better presented. I made no reference to anything were population is of significance. What are you trying to say, that a city has to be in the population scale of two million people in order to plant a green area on the river front?

Of course you can’t just get rid of car parks without replacing them but that is no reason to do nothing. In most cities car parks are multi-storey and hidden behind other buildings. Apart from the entrance you would hardly know they are there. In Waterford we have them stretched out flat over a mile creating an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I deal with business visitors in work and tourists in my friend's b&B, a lot are returning to Waterford after a break of 6 years or more.

The majority hate the quay.

I could count on one hand the few that have said it was a good idea or came back from a days touring without mentioning the quay.

During the Summer everyone was trying to get from the Bridge hotel to the coast. It was a nightmare. We recommended the bypass to everyone. They were not impressed but most came home that way after going to Tramore through town.

We have printed out a map for them to avoid the quay. They are very grateful, they don't want to spend their time stuck in traffic. You'll only do that once.

2lu8mz9.jpg

We also have the printout of how the Green Route will look. Most cannot understand why you would do this when there is no other route through town. Most say it will just look like New Ross. Some ask why the road was downgraded, is it a sign of the reduced size of the town! Even a cyclist who cycled from Dublin said he took one look at the quay and cycled through the car parks.

We can either stick our heads in the sand and say it will be grand or we can listen to the feedback from visitors.

I just never go down there unless its 11pm at night. I couldn't even tell a visitor what shops were on the quay by the Viking triangle because I never drive past them when they are open.

I have seen ambulances stuck on the quay, but they keep using that route so it much be the best available.

I hope they do make the pavement in the center, a full one from start to finish as all I see now, are cars driving into red lights at the zebra crossing while doing u turns.

Cars permanently drive through the lights at the AIB as the get caught between the two sets in slow moving traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Like Where?

Nong Kai in northeast Thailand pop. aprox 40 / 50 thousand has a boardwalk along the Mekong river about the same length as the Quay with a bandstand which is actually the correct size for a brass band (unlike the one on ballybricken green) every evening you can sit and people watch and drink a cold beer as the sun goes down, or walk across the friendship bridge into Laos and after a 20 min taxi ride to Vientiane where they have the same idea.

Ironic, then, that they call this a "green route".

BBM77 wrote: »
    I’m not comparing Waterford with these cities you are. I gave these as examples of how river frontage can be better presented. I made no reference to anything were population is of significance. What are you trying to say, that a city has to be in the population scale of two million people in order to plant a green area on the river front?

Of course you can’t just get rid of car parks without replacing them but that is no reason to do nothing. In most cities car parks are multi-storey and hidden behind other buildings. Apart from the entrance you would hardly know they are there. In Waterford we have them stretched out flat over a mile creating an eyesore.

Great points. The madness that is now the Quay is, in the main, accommodating Car Park entrances.

* A slip after the GPO coming from the Tower to enter a car park, but none for Exchange Street?

* A roundabout at Gladstone Street which should have been put at Conduit Lane.

* The central meridian that is encouraging people to dash onto it to cross the road.

And just wait for the backup at Winterval peak times, where you will have traffic backed up from the roundabout at the GPO back as far as the roundabout at Gladstone Street, where there will then be a backup along the the Quay back as far as conduit Lane, up into Arundel Square, etc.

Absolute lunacy.

And as for the lights at AIB - what purpose do they now actually serve, given that the mantra is "the Quay is now a safer place for pedestrians"??!!

7upfree wrote: »

And as for the lights at AIB - what purpose do they now actually serve, given that the mantra is "the Quay is now a safer place for pedestrians"??!!

would they be a pedestrian crossing?

Wouldn't a flashing orange light there really make it a safer place for pedestrians?

Actually flashing orange lights at all unofficial crossings like the lowered pavements at the roundabouts, Like High st in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll never understand pedestrian crossings at/on roundabouts. One of the most dangerous things i've ever seen. It just boggles the mind that you have to stop coming off a roundabout. Thank God the roundabouts here don't have crossings too near them. Still doesn't stop some muppets not using the proper crossings.

I was on and off the quays yesterday from 3 until 6 o clock, a huge amount of people around town, but traffic flowed all day, some issues but these were volume related only.
    It works and works well, the flows in and out of the carparks are smooth and effective, they are working on closing off the old crossover point opposite the Ulster bank, so the odd fool does not turn the wrong way out of the car park and block the whole quay.
    I think a lot of people on here maybe having humble pie for Christmas.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I was on and off the quays yesterday from 3 until 6 o clock, a huge amount of people around town, but traffic flowed all day, some issues but these were volume related only.
    It works and works well, the flows in and out of the carparks are smooth and effective, they are working on closing off the old crossover point opposite the Ulster bank, so the odd fool does not turn the wrong way out of the car park and block the whole quay.
    I think a lot of people on here maybe having humble pie for Christmas.

Doubt it. Yesterday they were closing off the slip into the car park from the GPO side. And digging the newly-finished works up. AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That was closed off much longer than just yesterday. And they're not just digging up works, but extending the central median across there as there is no longer access to the car park from that side. It'll be from the other lane only. The gap in the median was only temporary.

Kahless wrote: »
    That was closed off much longer than just yesterday. And they're not just digging up works, but extending the central median across there as there is no longer access to the car park from that side. It'll be from the other lane only. The gap in the median was only temporary.

Eloquently put, essentially what I said but if it was said as Gailge it would still fall on deaf ears to those that don't want to hear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Kahless wrote: »

Thats great, good idea to prevent people turning right there near ulster bank, using the roundabout is preferable to creating a line trying to turn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I was down on the quay yesterday evening traffic was slow moving from the bus station towards the Tower hotel, as i got nearer the bus stop beyond the clock tower i seen it was some car pulled in by the kerb in front of the bus stop. The bus pulling out had to mount the central medium to get past.......if things like that keep happening the quay will be a nightmare to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

as above.. if people park like idiots.. its going to be a nightmare...

I personally don't consider the traffic to be on the quays to be bad at all...
    I moved here from Dublin and think the traffic down here is lovely.... no real problems

I like what they have done on the quays, I think it looks well and works fine...

Its great to hear that you think it looks nice, thats really encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

On Saturday last I was on the quay in waterford. An ambulance came from the New Ross side of the bridge on to the quays with full blue's and two's. From the Bus Staion until the GPO it was stuck in a queue of traffic and unable to make space to overtake traffic. I was on my bicycle and was faster. So, where is the common sense from the designers/council etc?

So what are you saying every road should be built with a passing lane?

It is Friday 3 weeks before Christmas with Winterval in full flow, it's called volume, you cannot build roads to cater for that, The Ambulance driver had other option's , ie over the top of town, or if he was coming from New Ross as you say, the new bridge, get over it.
    I was in town at lunch time the traffic was flowing smoothly and slowly, exactly as designed.
    I'm afraid all the whingers and knockers were proven to be wrong, and the only thing they can hang on to is the Ambulance bit, which is a total red herring, as the same applies to nearly every street in Waterford with it's narrow Medieval layout.
    The Quay looks infinitely better than before, the traffic flow is working well, and it works, it is safer for Pedestrians, and drivers.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I think it is a huge improvement, much safer for pedestrians and not much of a hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

The biggest problem here is how drivers react when they hear an ambulance coming from behind. Some drivers are unaware what to do. I have seen emergency vehicles pass other vehicles with the new layout no problem. It's just some drivers panic and just sit there like a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its great to hear that you think it looks nice, thats really encouraging.
    I am here a few years now.... but it is agreat improvement on what it was before...

Sure the way people parked on it you might as well had one lane....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

wellboytoo wrote: »
    So what are you saying every road should be built with a passing lane?

It is Friday 3 weeks before Christmas with Winterval in full flow, it's called volume, you cannot build roads to cater for that, The Ambulance driver had other option's , ie over the top of town, or if he was coming from New Ross as you say, the new bridge, get over it.
    I was in town at lunch time the traffic was flowing smoothly and slowly, exactly as designed.
    I'm afraid all the whingers and knockers were proven to be wrong, and the only thing they can hang on to is the Ambulance bit, which is a total red herring, as the same applies to nearly every street in Waterford with it's narrow Medieval layout.
    The Quay looks infinitely better than before, the traffic flow is working well, and it works, it is safer for Pedestrians, and drivers.

I

You seem very invested in this project if you don't mind me saying?

Advertisement