Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

cgcsb wrote: »
    That's making a sort of emotive ransom really. Ambulances in all cities generally know where the busiest spots are and how best to avoid them, e.g. by going the wrong way down one way systems, driving up on the foot path etc. If it were as big an issue as you claim, would you be opposed to another lane being added for emergency service vehicles only? Or is it just that the ambulances provide a justification for ploughing a dual carriageway through the river front.

Wow. Great plans. Instead of leaving the access to the hospital (which was fine) alone, let's drive on paths and the wrong way down one way streets. It'll be ever so safe. :roll eyes:

As for "emotive ransom' you would't be saying that if it was one of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

plenty of room for emergency services topass cars..

problem is the citizens of waterford parking like idiots and making that impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    No-one's "hanging onto" anything. This scheme is hair-brained. They haven't closed off the end of Conduit Lane yet. For obvious reasons.

Whoa there, without trawling back through your many posts on this matter, you were very sure it would not work as far as traffic flow was concerned, namely cars backed up all the way down exchange street onto the Quays, and many other examples.
    We are now in the busiest traffic period of the year and none of this has happened, traffic is flowing smoothly, slowly at times due to those damned pedestrians crossing the street but flowing all the time.
    It looks well the trees are going to be lovely in leaf, the roundabouts allow you to do a 180 on the Quay without holding up traffic, the perception of being nearer the water works.
    As regards Conduit lane, it will never be closed off, as someone with your extensive knowledge of traffic would know, there is not enough space to swing an artic left onto the Quay, so it will always be there,
    So what exactly is "hair brained" about it now please do tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Remember the fire service also. It can be particularly awkward for them to traverse the city and traffic given their physical structure.

The firepersons (see I can do PC!!) are driving trucks; and having driven trucks for years I can assure you getting around the centre of town streets in a 18 tonne rigid can be awkward given that Waterford is a Medieval city, in parts, and also because of its topography - not to mention drivers who panic! They are also slowed down because of the layout on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The mail had been hit on the head.

Can't quote on the phone but whi ever said better road equals more traffic is spot on. We now have worse road and a hope that less traffic will use it.

But the issue is, what are the alternatives?

For shoping, I used to take the bus but now that takes ages....... Due to delays in the quay and Dunmore road. A ten minutes journey takes 20 once the bus arrives.

If I'm traveling through town, I go up ballybricken and down all the side steets, weaving through residential areas.

If I really need to go shopping I just drive to lisduggan shopping center and forget about town.

I have to drive through town every day add the busses no longer run by the time I finish work, Waterford cc have changed my behavior.......... By driving me out of the town.

I'm not the only one. In work the other night we could.'t name one of the new shops that opened on the quay in the last year because none of us pass there anymore. We are all from Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wow. Great plans. Instead of leaving the access to the hospital (which was fine) alone, let's drive on paths and the wrong way down one way streets. It'll be ever so safe. :roll eyes:

Ambulances do that all the time and people get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Can't quote on the phone but whi ever said better road equals more traffic is spot on. We now have worse road and a hope that less traffic will use it.

For shoping, I used to take the bus but now that takes ages....... Due to delays in the quay and Dunmore road. A ten minutes journey takes 20 once the bus arrives.

If I'm traveling through town, I go up ballybricken and down all the side steets, weaving through residential areas.

If I really need to go shopping I just drive to lisduggan shopping center and forget about town.

I have to drive through town every day add the busses no longer run by the time I finish work, Waterford cc have changed my behavior.......... By driving me out of the town.

I'm not the only one. In work the other night we could.'t name one of the new shops that opened on the quay in the last year because none of us pass there anymore. We are all from Waterford.

So more bus priority and a more frequent service? perhaps a bus only quay side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Indeed, I have shortened the quote to reflect the effect, as I see it, of the changes to the traffic flow on the quay.

I know I have spoken of the effects on emergency services.

But, there are people who work in the city centre affected. I try to avoid driving in town during the day and avoid the quay altogether. If I must go into town I cycle. But that means, I cannot do much shopping. Cycling is faster than the bus from Ferrybank.

If others also do this, then the businesses in the city centre will suffer and ultimately jobs will be lost. When driving, it is quicker and cheaper for me to go to the suburbs and get what I need or my business done. Banks are out there, post offices, coffee shops etc. Also, I will use email and online shopping to avoid going in to the centre of town.

WMPDD3, if I am correct, alludes to the economic effects. I agree that this will be a negative situation for people employed in town.

Minister wrote: »
    Indeed, I have shortened the quote to reflect the effect, as I see it, of the changes to the traffic flow on the quay.

I know I have spoken of the effects on emergency services.

But, there are people who work in the city centre affected. I try to avoid driving in town during the day and avoid the quay altogether. If I must go into town I cycle. But that means, I cannot do much shopping. Cycling is faster than the bus from Ferrybank.

If others also do this, then the businesses in the city centre will suffer and ultimately jobs will be lost. When driving, it is quicker and cheaper for me to go to the suburbs and get what I need or my business done. Banks are out there, post offices, coffee shops etc. Also, I will use email and online shopping to avoid going in to the centre of town.

WMPDD3, if I am correct, alludes to the economic effects. I agree that this will be a negative situation for people employed in town.

The problem is that the ones responsible for this abomination haven't factored in the modern issues you list above.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Whoa there, without trawling back through your many posts on this matter, you were very sure it would not work as far as traffic flow was concerned, namely cars backed up all the way down exchange street onto the Quays, and many other examples.
    We are now in the busiest traffic period of the year and none of this has happened, traffic is flowing smoothly, slowly at times due to those damned pedestrians crossing the street but flowing all the time.
    It looks well the trees are going to be lovely in leaf, the roundabouts allow you to do a 180 on the Quay without holding up traffic, the perception of being nearer the water works.
    As regards Conduit lane, it will never be closed off, as someone with your extensive knowledge of traffic would know, there is not enough space to swing an artic left onto the Quay, so it will always be there,
    So what exactly is "hair brained" about it now please do tell?

They haven't closed off Conduit Lane,. For obvious reasons. Ergo the traffic is still flowing. The exit from Conduit lane across the Quay will be closed off as part of the madness that is "the green route".

As for hair-brained, I've noted - on several occasions - pedestrians using the island in the middle to cross the road. On a scheme adjudged to be "making things safer".:roll eyes:

But I suppose the diehards will continue to defend this farce.

• Advertisement

As for hair-brained, I've noted - on several occasions - pedestrians using the island in the middle to cross the road. On a scheme adjudged to be "making things safer".:roll eyes:

But I suppose the diehards will continue to defend this farce.

Oh now I get you, it's people are the real problem,we should have put an eight foot high pallisade fence down the middle of the Quay to stop them crossing, because that is the only way you will, no matter what design you put in there.

You are against everything but for nothing, what would you have done with it?, and leave it as it was is not an answer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd like to remind everyone that if you have a problem with another users post then report it, it is not your place to back seat mod.

I've removed a number of off-topic de-railing posts from this thread,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of people over the years before the changes on the quays try to cross four lanes of traffic, utterly insane really....lucky alot of people haven't been killed especially given the speed motorists were doing.

People using the middle island when the traffic is slower then it used to be is FAR FAR safer then the old layout of the quays, unless you think its actually more dangerous now that the traffic is slower?

Yes people crossing in this manner is illegal (jaywalking is illegal in Ireland after all), but thats the fault of the people doing it...not the council.

The only solution to stop these people is either 1. enforce the law or 2. Build a 7 foot high fence in the middle of the road....or secret option number 3 which most Irish people have a serious issue with...obey the law when it comes to road use.

Now of course if you're going to claim that the Gardai need to crack down on jaywalkers on the quays then to be fair they need to crack down on it everywhere. Its a far far bigger issue in Dublin then Waterford, so they can start there perhaps. :D

Ask yourself, when was the last time you crossed a road illegally? Are you going to turn yourself for a jaywalking fine? ;)

Oh now I get you, it's people are the real problem,we should have put an eight foot high pallisade fence down the middle of the Quay to stop them crossing, because that is the only way you will, no matter what design you put in there.

You are against everything but for nothing, what would you have done with it?, and leave it as it was is not an answer.

The obvious thing. Not put it there in the first place. And I suppose your font of knowledge supersedes everyone else on here?

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd like to remind everyone that if you have a problem with another users post then report it, it is not your place to back seat mod.

I've removed a number of off-topic de-railing posts from this thread,

Hopefully that applies across the board. Including mods.

I contacted the council about the island over a year ago as I nearly hit someone using the one outside the Cantec / Irish cancer shop, they said the island is pretty much there for that reason.

If that is the case, put in orange flashing lights like kilkenny and let pedestrians cross safely.

I have just given up walking there at all. the last issue was a person who did a u turn at the clock tower back into the pedestrian crossing. Couldnt do that when it was two lanes.

The obvious thing. Not put it there in the first place. And I suppose your font of knowledge supersedes everyone else on here?

Still smarting from that rub I see, but no answer as usual , you should join Sinn Fein against everything with no counter proposals.
    I give up and will not converse with you on this subject again as it is a one way street.

Still smarting from that rub I see, but no answer as usual , you should join Sinn Fein against everything with no counter proposals.
    I give up and will not converse with you on this subject again as it is a one way street.

Lol! "Still smarting"? Hard to believe you can be that arrogant really.

I contacted the council about the island over a year ago as I nearly hit someone using the one outside the Cantec / Irish cancer shop, they said the island is pretty much there for that reason.

If that is the case, put in orange flashing lights like kilkenny and let pedestrians cross safely.

I have just given up walking there at all. the last issue was a person who did a u turn at the clock tower back into the pedestrian crossing. Couldnt do that when it was two lanes.

But it's "safer now" doncha know.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Drove over and back the quay today , and noticed a lack of pedestrian crossings .

There were a few pedestrians crossing the road in front of me , but not at the designated places .

• Advertisement

Lol! "Still smarting"? Hard to believe you can be that arrogant really.

Bmhl, the definition of irony, being called arrogant by 7upfree!

Bmhl, the definition of irony, being called arrogant by 7upfree!

Takes one to know one.:D

Not really part of it, but I love the new lights on the bridge, that are beautiful .

All week there have been workers in cherry pickers after midnight fixing them. They were so brave to hover above the side of the bridge.

The Phoenix column in this week's News and Star makes good reading on this subject and other topical issues here, they say some things I would like to say here but would probably get me an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The Phoenix column in this week's News and Star makes good reading on this subject and other topical issues here, they say some things I would like to say here but would probably get me an infraction.

yeah, read that this morning, good. There are a few on here and out in public that think that the old road was better.....i think that is pure lunacy

Somebody posted about the lights on Rice bridge, totally agree, they do look great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see that people are ignoring the advanced warning signs and road markings when you're coming from the bridge into Waterford. Left lane is for left only into the car park and the right lane is for straight on. Seeing as people can't grasp that on a lot of roads around Waterford (such as the roundabout at Slieverue for New Ross or the Ballindud roundabout on the Tramore Road), I really don't know what you are going to do to educate drivers to open their eyes! There is lots of space despite it being a single carriageway for a large amount, and this space is still being used to 'double park' by couriers and people in their cars without a care in the world.

Same for pedestrians, there are three sets of pedestrian lights on the quays (excluding the one at the bridge) and yet people insist on ignoring these and continue to just jwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

Lads,

Don't know what anybody is whinging about. Haven't been in town in a while.. but drove down the quays today... No bother at all... and at peak lunchtime...Had a choice of parking spaces...didn't see any problem with traffic

Highpath

highpath wrote: »
    Lads,

Don't know what anybody is whinging about. Haven't been in town in a while.. but drove down the quays today... No bother at all... and at peak lunchtime...Had a choice of parking spaces...didn't see any problem with traffic

Highpath

Lol :D

highpath wrote: »
    Lads,

Highpath

Brilliant!

Had you a good choice of shops too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

That's the worrying bit.

Have to kind of agree that things aren't looking great for the city....Had some job trying to get something to eat. Eventually found a spot with a few auld codgers getting a feed. Joined in , but then went I went to pay the wans dishin up the grub wouldn't take any money.

Now I'm no Bill gates but I think you have to charge to stay in business...plus you should really open up your shops.

Highpath

Advertisement