Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

That's because the vast majority of London streets have red lines on the road side which indicates that you cannot under any circumstances park or stop there and it is strictly enforced. Over here we don't give a f**k where we leave the car as long as we can do our little errand.

so agree the problem is the driver!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That's because the vast majority of London streets have red lines on the road side which indicates that you cannot under any circumstances park or stop there and it is strictly enforced. Over here we don't give a f**k where we leave the car as long as we can do our little errand.

And you wont know anything about it until you receive a letter with a photo of you driving or parked in the lane taken from a permanent camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Here's the emergency services navigating the quay in Waterford this evening . - The delay was mainly caused by a silly car driver been slow to move in to let them pass , rather than the buses been in the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Started cycling over the bridge and along the Quay to work about 2 weeks ago because I was fed up sitting in traffic both ways. Three times already I've had near misses even with the cycle lanes.

First was old guy pulling across cycle lane just after over taking me to get in parking spot outside fieldmaster. Second was guy in land rover pulling out of quick park on quay who only seemed to see car that passed me going towards post office and not me with light and high ves and pulled right out in front of me, missed hitting him by about 3 feet. Third was car at shaws roundabout who for some reason needed to move full into the cycle lane going bridge direction to get around roundabout. This happens with most cars I've now noticed and unless they check side mirror some cyclist is going to get hit.

Drivers seem to have no awareness of cyclists in cycle lanes on Quay. Combination of bad design and drivers in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Seems like most complaints on here are directly related to stupid drivers.

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    Started cycling over the bridge and along the Quay to work about 2 weeks ago because I was fed up sitting in traffic both ways. Three times already I've had near misses even with the cycle lanes.

First was old guy pulling across cycle lane just after over taking me to get in parking spot outside fieldmaster. Second was guy in land rover pulling out of quick park on quay who only seemed to see car that passed me going towards post office and not me with light and high ves and pulled right out in front of me, missed hitting him by about 3 feet. Third was car at shaws roundabout who for some reason needed to move full into the cycle lane going bridge direction to get around roundabout. This happens with most cars I've now noticed and unless they check side mirror some cyclist is going to get hit.

Drivers seem to have no awareness of cyclists in cycle lanes on Quay. Combination of bad design and drivers in my opinion

All your 3 issues are silly drivers not road design

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

For the sake of those that have never seen , I will post it here now .

In the first-half of the quay , there is a cycle lane - a bus lane and a car park lane - all on the same track .

Does that make sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Max Powers wrote: »
    All your 3 issues are silly drivers not road design

First 2 are driver issues fir sure, the third I'm not so sure. Have a look yourself next time your driving down Quay. The position of the roundabout and your approach to it in a car means you need to cross into cycle lane. Feels to me like they roundabouts should be a couple of feet less in diameter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

thomasm wrote: »

What's stupid was the need to keep the cycle lane on the road! They could have just done up the path along the river and kept the bikes off the road altogether. This is not because I have a problem with cyclists being on the road but it's a total mess the way it is and makes it dangerous. Plenty of cities have separate cycle paths from roads and here it would have made total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I travel the quays every morning going into work and this week gone i seen a bus driver do the most idiotic thing.

An ambulance was coming across the bridge heading toward the quay, he was halfway across when from the layby across from the bridge hotel this big coach decided it would be ok for him to pull out just before the ambulance got to the traffic lights which meant by the time the abulance got behind him the ambulance could not pass, this was at 840 so the quays were busy. It took the ambulance 10 mins to get down the quay because of the idiotic bus driver and the jammed traffic didnt help its cause either.

The back up from traffic on the ferrybank side and sallypark side since the change is worse. I have to leave at 815 if i go the ferrybank way and 825 if i go the sallypark way....im only going to the centre of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I leave the school in Dunkitt at 8:50 every morning and most mornings I am in across the bridge and on the quay by 9am, obviously Im coming in via sally park, I travel all the way in sallypark in the left hand lane and continue on to the bridge and turn left on to the quay, where I then head up Thomas Street, if as you say the quay has caused worse delays in Ferrybank and SallyPark, Im certainly not experiencing it.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I leave the school in Dunkitt at 8:50 every morning and most mornings I am in across the bridge and on the quay by 9am, obviously Im coming in via sally park, I travel all the way in sallypark in the left hand lane and continue on to the bridge and turn left on to the quay, where I then head up Thomas Street, if as you say the quay has caused worse delays in Ferrybank and SallyPark, Im certainly not experiencing it.

Try coming in earlier. Up until this year i didnt need to be i town until 915 and like you i hit sallypark around 845 850 and the traffic was light enough and tbf i did mention the times i find it backed up maybe you missed it???????

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Can anyone tell me about how long it takes to get from the end of the m9 to around the tower hotel in the mornings, say around 8-8.30am kinda time?

Can anyone tell me about how long it takes to get from the end of the m9 to around the tower hotel in the mornings, say around 8-8.30am kinda time?

10 - 15 mins id guess. If your leaving the M9 at 8ish id say 10mins any later than 815ish then add 5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Jesus that's nothing, is traffic not very bad along the quays in the mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Jesus that's nothing, is traffic not very bad along the quays in the mornings?

Depends on where you from, if you from any other major city its not bad at all... if you from Waterford its a nightmare....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robtri wrote: »
    Depends on where you from, if you from any other major city its not bad at all... if you from Waterford its a nightmare....

I basically live out in the country and I can honestly say the only time I've thought traffic in Waterford was a nightmare was during a big event like Spree or something.

It basically can be a pain sometimes, mostly its made worse by total idiots who can't drive or obey rules of the road properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Saw an Ambulance going down the quay this morning. Sirens on, people moved out of the way, no one mounted the footpaths, ambulance carried loads of speed,no dickhead drivers holding it up, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I read earlier that the next move is to stop traffic turning from Grafton quay onto the bridge. Lunacy. Summerhill will be absolutely mental at busy times now

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

KevIRL wrote: »
    I read earlier that the next move is to stop traffic turning from Grafton quay onto the bridge. Lunacy. Summerhill will be absolutely mental at busy times now

There planning a reduced two way system as far as the old foundry entrance, then single lane for the remainder.

Full details are on the council's website (sorry on mobile so can't shorten link)

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/public-consultations/bilberry/Proposed%2520Changes%2520to%2520Traffic%2520Arrangements%2520to%2520Bilberry%2520Road%2520and%2520Quarry%2520Road%2520and%2520Associated%2520Works.docx&ved=0ahUKEwjFqqDfitHPAhWGKsAKHY1NAawQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNEFVyZMSxca0YY9VnEe0NlalORvvg&sig2=O-rTyxWAnMjXuX8f9oQUXg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Jambo wrote: »

This is even more stupid than their other hair brained plans.

Good luck to anyone getting down summrhill every evening with all the extra traffic.

All so people can walk or cycle down past a halting site and some factories. Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sounds like perfect plans to get us all to start using the toll!

This is the icing on the cake.

I'll be forming my submission to the council tomorrow night.

How does this move fit into the 'green way plan'?

From the site notice:
    The proposed development will consist of
    1. the making of Bilberry Road from one way from a point approximately 900m north of Rice Bridge to a point approximately 80m south of the Junction with Quarry Road. The direction of travel will be northbound. The road will be narrowed and the remaining space set aside for the extension of the Waterford Greenway along this portion of the road.
    2. On the section of Bilberry Road and Grattan Quay from Rice Bridge to the point where the road is to be made one way, the road will remain two way but shall be narrowed and a shared footpath / cycle way shall be provided.
    3. On Quarry Road, at the junction with Gracedieu Road, the road shall be narrowed and the provision of a footpath linking Bowefield and Gracedieu Road shall be provided. Traffic lights will be installed to implement a shuttle traffic flow on the narrowed section.

Taken from 'Waterford City Development Plan 2013 - 2019'
    1.5.6 Transport and Access
    The PLUTS seeks to implement an integrated land use and transportation strategy for
    the city and its environs. The development of alternative means of transport to the use
    of the private car is a major element of PLUTS and national transportation guidance.
    This requires continuing commitment to the provision of infrastructure to facilitate
    such modal change, with consequent impacts on access by private transport. In
    curtailing private transport there are inherent conflicts between policy objectives for
    growth/regeneration of the City economy on the one hand and traffic restraint/demand
    management on the other
    . The challenge lies in striking an appropriate balance
    between parking provision and public transport. As parking interacts with many
    planning, transport and development issues it needs to be treated in a strategic manner.
    Providing greater connectivity between North and South Quays remains an ongoing
    challenge, naturally requiring commitment to provision of additional infrastructure
    provision which will facilitate same.

In real terms, I live in Ferrybank, if I need something in the supermarket at 2pm in the day, I can just about manage to get to the Hypermarket and back inside half an hour as it is by using Bilberry on the way back.

If this happens, it will be easier to go to New Ross.

At 3:50, its a no brainer. Aldi or forget about it!

If they make Waterford any less accessible, there will be more development on the Ferrybank side as there will be no appetite for crossing the bridge.

There is a handy centra in ferry bank, why not go there instead of what seem like way over the mark threats to go a long way to new ross to get something in the shop.

Its a Spar and it's more of a convenience store. I think the Centra is in Abbey park, but I havent been there in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

So this biggest issue is getting to the shop in less then 10 mins? That's a pretty lame reason to object.

I live in Grace dieu and some days the traffic racing up bilberry is insane, the road is way to narrow for the volume of traffic it gets.

So this biggest issue is getting to the shop in less then 10 mins? That's a pretty lame reason to object.

I live in Grace dieu and some days the traffic racing up bilberry is insane, the road is way to narrow for the volume of traffic it gets.

Agree, unless the road can be widened/made safer, I support changes.whatever happens, it needs renovating if its the city start of greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Well for some its not just going to the shops that's the concern.

Having to go via Bilberry morning and evening for work means that this new proposal is going to be a disaster. And before anyone says to use the new bridge I don't have €800 floating around to allow me to do that twice a day for a working year.

If the council can't afford the land to make this happen without changing the current structure of the road layout then it shouldn't happen.

Summerhill / Gracedieu and all the areas in between will be absolute mayhem when this happens.

But I do agree with the poster who mentioned the shopping in other areas. I will definitely favour going to Kilkenny for shopping rather than Waterford if this is the crap we will have to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

To me this is the elephant in the room when it comes to traffic in Waterford. It is completely ridiculous having a toll on the bypass. No matter what way you layout the roads in Waterford traffic problems are not going to improve until you start to get the cars that don’t need to be in the city out of the city. I know the bypass is a public private partnership project but if you want to improve something you have to work to reality. The reality is most people just can’t afford to spend €800 a year on tolls that is why people are not using the bypass in the numbers they could be. If the traffic problems in Waterford are going to be addressed this needs to be addressed first.

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    Well for some its not just going to the shops that's the concern.

Having to go via Bilberry morning and evening for work means that this new proposal is going to be a disaster. And before anyone says to use the new bridge I don't have €800 floating around to allow me to do that twice a day for a working year.

If the council can't afford the land to make this happen without changing the current structure of the road layout then it shouldn't happen.

Summerhill / Gracedieu and all the areas in between will be absolute mayhem when this happens.

But I do agree with the poster who mentioned the shopping in other areas. I will definitely favour going to Kilkenny for shopping rather than Waterford if this is the crap we will have to face.

Frankly, these hysterical threats are ridiculous, drive 50+kms to kk and what expect zero traffic there, silly talk and also silly talk from locals who need to and meant to support their city for their and their families benefit. Quit these silly illogical threats people

Advertisement