Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Cabaal wrote: »
    Didn't think a person laying cobble in his garden would need to put in proper kerbs, ducts for lighting, ducts for other utils, any utility covers, proper road crossings etc. Ensure tarmac to the kerb is suitable for heavy road traffic (not just a driveway)

Must be some garden if he had to install all of those, on the level required on a main street.

Bit of a joke to compare such a small residential job to work on the quays and the requirements for the job on the quays to meet certain standards.

In saying that the job itself does "appear" to be taking a long time but its still unfair to make such a silly comparison.

Max, the joke is there for all to behold on the quay. So a pipe has to be laid for electrics along the path of the trees. Wow! Rocket science indeed.:rolleyes:
    Not such a silly comparison. It's a very straightforward job. Look at again. Some kebning, ducting, and cabling. Feck's sake have you ever seen the pace at which it is laid when new housing estates were being build? The lads who laid the new gas main on the Cork Road resurfaced one side of the N25 in a couple of nights.

How's that for a comparison? Or is that also silly? There are far too many apologists for that debacle on the jay. It is beyond a joke really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Max, the joke is there for all to behold on the quay. So a pipe has to be laid for electrics along the path of the trees. Wow! Rocket science indeed.:rolleyes:
    Not such a silly comparison. It's a very straightforward job. Look at again. Some kebning, ducting, and cabling. Feck's sake have you ever seen the pace at which it is laid when new housing estates were being build? The lads who laid the new gas main on the Cork Road resurfaced one side of the N25 in a couple of nights.

How's that for a comparison? Or is that also silly? There are far too many apologists for that debacle on the jay. It is beyond a joke really.

You should step in and tell the council you will do it and it will be done within the day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

theres alot more stuff under that road than a new housing estate road, the quay has had traffic for a couple of hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Sully wrote: »
    You should step in and tell the council you will do it and it will be done within the day. :)

Good one. :rolleyes:

I think complaints about the pace of work scheduled to be completed almost three weeks ago, and which still remain unfinished, are valid and could do without the sarcasm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gadgie wrote: »
    Good one. :rolleyes:

I think complaints about the pace of work scheduled to be completed almost three weeks ago, and which still remain unfinished, are valid and could do without the sarcasm.

To be fair, 7up seems to think it should be done in a few days and has already in another thread dismissed the notion that a specific type of contractor has to do this job.

These contractors are not the original contractors. There has been at least two delays and two different contractors since the whole project started due to companies going bust, IIRC. That has a huge impact on the delay.

• Advertisement

I realise this thread was started a while ago, but I'm only referring to the works that were scheduled for six weeks from 10 June to 19 July on the Quay and the junction with Bridge Street.

I understand the contractors went on holidays after the deadline passed. Are they back at work yet? I haven't been down the Quay yet this week. There doesn't appear to have been any work done on Bridge Street at all this week.

I realise this thread was started a while ago, but I'm only referring to the works that were scheduled for six weeks from 10 June to 19 July on the Quay and the junction with Bridge Street.

I understand the contractors went on holidays after the deadline passed. Are they back at work yet? I haven't been down the Quay yet this week. There doesn't appear to have been any work done on Bridge Street at all this week.

There back working alright, saw them there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

They were working there today.!

On another related note Tracey's have really capitalised on the extended footpath with their new picnic benches, imo the council should have put in a coach parking space so that the hotel could unload their guests there rather than at the front entrance blocking one lane of the quay as frequently happens.

Just last weekend there was a coach parked for quite a while beside this new footpath reducing the already reduced Bridge Street to two lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Jambo wrote: »
    They were working there today.!

On another related note Tracey's have really capitalised on the extended footpath with their new picnic benches, imo the council should have put in a coach parking space so that the hotel could unload their guests there rather than at the front entrance blocking one lane of the quay as frequently happens.

Just last weekend there was a coach parked for quite a while beside this new footpath reducing the already reduced Bridge Street to two lanes
    has to be one of the ugliest footpaths laid in the county , but it could be a temporary job so they are bringing out the path on the other side too reducing bridge st to 1 lane at the lights causing more tailbacks up the glen ....tards.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    has to be one of the ugliest footpaths laid in the county , but it could be a temporary job so they are bringing out the path on the other side too reducing bridge st to 1 lane at the lights causing more tailbacks up the glen ....tards.

True - ugly mass concrete - a shame when you see all the work that went into putting down the stone paving at the front of the Bridge Hotel you would hope the same thing is planned for here, but then have a look at the roundabout at the GPO the part of it that is finished is a similar concrete finish rather than paving - and what make me think it is the actual finish is that there are set stones/ small paver's laid into it in a somewhat pattern- they would not have went to that trouble if it was a temp finish.

A shame when you see the quality of work on the surrounding paths and nearby island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Hoffmans wrote: »

Have to agree with you the path is dire. As for Treacys placing the picnic tables on it, c'mon are you really going to take up a seat there to enjoy a drink?

Does anyone have a link to the plans for how Bridge street is suppose to look once works are finished? Couldn't find it on the City Council website.

Reducing it to one lane will be a complete nightmare come September and the schools are back. It'll just end up with people cutting across the upper yellow road, congress place, gracedieu etc. and down bilberry to avoid the tailbacks and get onto the bridge quicker.

wendydoll wrote: »
    c'mon are you really going to take up a seat there to enjoy a drink?.

Id say its more the smokers it will attract - Tracey's obviously had enough faith in their success as the tables may not have been cheap plus the councils licence fee of €125 per table per annum is not cheap either

To be fair, 7up seems to think it should be done in a few days and has already in another thread dismissed the notion that a specific type of contractor has to do this job.

These contractors are not the original contractors. There has been at least two delays and two different contractors since the whole project started due to companies going bust, IIRC. That has a huge impact on the delay.

No-one's saying a few days. What people are saying is that it should have been started post-Christmas and finished end May. It's kerbing, some ducting, cabling, and a few trees. You can dress it up any way you like but that's the long and the short of it.

If people like you (or the council) cannot see plain business sense then there is no hope. This thread seems to consist of two camps, 1. Realists (myself included) and 2. Dreamers/excusers with whom those who should crack the whip cannot do any wrong.

The job is a complete and utter farce. The Quay, Bailey's new Street, and Cathedral Square decimated. At the height of the tourist season. And the Spraoi. It truly beggars belief.

There back working alright, saw them there today.

Oh joy. Let's have a part to celebrate.:rolleyes:

No-one's saying a few days.

That's interesting because you appeared to be suggesting that earlier with this gem of a post;
    I saw a guY take out an entire front garden recently and lay a cobblelock drive - in three days.
    What people are saying is that it should have been started post-Christmas and finished end May. It's kerbing, some ducting, cabling, and a few trees. You can dress it up any way you like but that's the long and the short of it.

It was, possibly a bit longer. But the firm went bust. Another firm seemed to come in for a tidy up and then left while finally this particular firm restarted the whole process.

If people like you (or the council) cannot see plain business sense then there is no hope. This thread seems to consist of two camps, 1. Realists (myself included) and 2. Dreamers/excusers with whom those who should crack the whip cannot do any wrong.

The job is a complete and utter farce. The Quay, Bailey's new Street, and Cathedral Square decimated. At the height of the tourist season. And the Spraoi. It truly beggars belief.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting because you appeared to be suggesting that earlier with this gem of a post;

It was, possibly a bit longer. But the firm went bust. Another firm seemed to come in for a tidy up and then left while finally this particular firm restarted the whole process.

The job is a complete and utter farce. The Quay, Bailey's new Street, and Cathedral Square decimated. At the height of the tourist season. And the Spraoi. It truly beggars belief.
    [/QUOTE]

Firstly, you need to learn how to use the quote buttons.:)

Secondly, and I know it's probably hard for you to grasp, if you extrapolate the three days across the works being done on the quay (very similar works) and multiply it by the amount of people involved, you should arrive at a timeframe of around five months.

That's allowing the proper resources are deployed and that the council strictly enforce penalty clauses. And demand that holidays be staggered.

Firstly, you need to learn how to use the quote buttons.:)

Coming from the fella who managed to just made a complete balls of the quote tags? :P :D
    Secondly, and I know it's probably hard for you to grasp, if you extrapolate the three days across the works being done on the quay (very similar works) and multiply it by the amount of people involved, you should arrive at a timeframe of around five months.

That's allowing the proper resources are deployed and that the council strictly enforce penalty clauses. And demand that holidays be staggered.

You have completely missed the fact that there have been at least two different contractors, if not three, working on this project. The first one went bust apparently, the second one came after a period of a break to clean things up and it appears the current contractor is the main replacement contractor to complete all works.

Drove past there today, and couldn't see what work has actually been done since a couple of weeks ago. The soil's been down so long, there are large weeds growing in it already.

Also, they haven't finished one side of Bridge Street, and they've already dug up the other?

Drove past there today, and couldn't see what work has actually been done since a couple of weeks ago. The soil's been down so long, there are large weeds growing in it already.

Also, they haven't finished one side of Bridge Street, and they've already dug up the other?

Dug up ground by the clock tower and work on the roundabout a little bit.

Coming from the fella who managed to just made a complete balls of the quote tags? :P :D

Not quite the balls up you made though!:D

You
    completely missed the fact that there have been at least two different contractors, if not three, working on this project. The first one went bust apparently, the second one came after a period of a break to clean things up and it appears the current contractor is the main replacement contractor to complete all works.

And you have completely missed the point that a job which should have taken - at most - four to five months (off-peak) now appears to be rolling towards November. In the middle of a tourist season. You and people like you are why Waterford is where it is today. You are prepared to settle for seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I like that they've created a traffic bottleneck where there wasn't one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I like that they've created a traffic bottleneck where there wasn't one before.

Eh.... and slowed down vehicles??

Have you ever seen any of the injuries caused to pedestrians crossing that road- I have.

This was needed long ago. Hopefully it will also stop the HGVs using the quay.

And you have completely missed the point that a job which should have taken - at most - four to five months (off-peak) now appears to be rolling towards November. In the middle of a tourist season. You and people like you are why Waterford is where it is today. You are prepared to settle for seconds.

They started in late June, did they not? That's what, a month and a bit doing the project excluding the holiday period?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chiparus wrote: »
    Eh.... and slowed down vehicles??

Have you ever seen any of the injuries caused to pedestrians crossing that road- I have.

This was needed long ago. Hopefully it will also stop the HGVs using the quay.

Well there are 4 pedestrian crossings on the quay, the pedestrians who don't use them are the ones endangering themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I really think the end product will be worth the hassle both aesthetically and traffic flow wise, yes it was a ball's up of a construction job for loads of reasons but some maybe prooved wrong when we see the finished product....
    Next year!

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Next year!

One can only hope... :D

They'll probably be tipping away at it until the week before the next Tall Ships, then there'll be a rush to finish it and they'll get it done with a day to spare... cue self-congratulatory back-patting! ;)

I was looking this evening and there doesn't appear to be much else done (in appearance at least) since they started back. Apart from the digging of the new sections and what appears to be the start of the wall for some - that's all I can see.

The other road by Reginald's Tower has to be the slowest but it goes all the way up into the square. They appear to have curbing going up one side and there working on the building beside the tower. But it seems very slow progress, much like the whole scheme. Should be nearly done by now I would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

JPA wrote: »
    Well there are 4 pedestrian crossings on the quay, the pedestrians who don't use them are the ones endangering themselves.

Lots of pedestrians have been seriously injured crossing at the pedestrian crossings as well as the jay walkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

You and people like you are why Waterford is where it is today. You are prepared to settle for seconds.

think your bang out of order there and incorrect, whatever about Sullys political leanings, he does more for Waterford than the average person on here. Everyone on here wants the best for Waterford, jobs infrastructure etc but get into the real world, settling for second best? delayed public work is common around all of Ireland, some things mightnt be the best possible but more often than not, they are the best that can be done with the money that we have got. If that is the case, we shouldnt settle for a runway extension until its the best one, capable of taking airbus a380s, terminal improvements also. Fact is, at the moment, we would have to settle for second or even third best option if we were lucky and that would be a runway capable of taking smaller jets.

The works down on the Quays will be top class when done, majority on here recognise that. We have already said on here, if the works (even taking into account delays) were on mostly during school term then some would be complaining should be done in summer. We all know time line for this seems to be generous and something should be done about this being common practice. What have you done about it, have you been onto your councillors, sent letter to city manager??

Advertisement