Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Max Powers wrote: »
    think your bang out of order there and incorrect, whatever about Sullys political leanings, he does more for Waterford than the average person on here.

DO enlighten me!!!!!:D
    Everyone on here wants the best for Waterford, jobs infrastructure etc but get into the real world, settling for second best? delayed public work is common around all of Ireland, some things mightnt be the best possible but more often than not, they are the best that can be done with the money that we have got.

You've hit the nail on the head Max. You query why I question it, and then admit it exists?? So we should just accept it then?? As I said - seconds.

If that is the case, we shouldnt settle for a runway extension until its the best one, capable of taking airbus a380s, terminal improvements also. Fact is, at the moment, we would have to settle for second or even third best option if we were lucky and that would be a runway capable of taking smaller jets.

Not a very valid comparison really. The runway is not being laid on the quay. In the middle of a tourist season.
    The works down on the Quays will be top class when done, majority on here recognise that. We have already said on here, if the works (even taking into account delays) were on mostly during school term then some would be complaining should be done in summer. We all know time line for this seems to be generous and something should be done about this being common practice. What have you done about it, have you been onto your councillors, sent letter to city manager??

Yes and yes.

But it makes little difference really. Traders were told it was going ahead and that was it apparently. If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected. Were the traders consulted? Were their concerns taken on board?

As for the time line being generous - it's more ludicrous.

Sully wrote: »
    I was looking this evening and there doesn't appear to be much else done (in appearance at least) since they started back. Apart from the digging of the new sections and what appears to be the start of the wall for some - that's all I can see.

The other road by Reginald's Tower has to be the slowest but it goes all the way up into the square. They appear to have curbing going up one side and there working on the building beside the tower. But it seems very slow progress, much like the whole scheme. Should be nearly done by now I would have expected.

Something we both agree on. Realistically resources and manpower should have been poured into this. Sadly they weren't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This phase of road works are due to be completed in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

7upfree wrote: »

You've hit the nail on the head Max. You query why I question it, and then admit it exists?? So we should just accept it then?? As I said - seconds.

the examples are numerous over over run projects, over spent, under budgeted, poor work, poor design (port tunnel, terminal 2 etc). it shouldnt be accepted but shouting about the quay projects like they are uniquely running over time is just disingenuous. What have you done to not accept the status quo?

The runway is a perfect example, we would like the 10million extension but everyone including the main man out there recently said that unlikely to get that or second best option (5-6 mill) and that third best option is probably best we can do for now (couple mill). So would you accept second third best here, its not the best but it would allow a good few jets to land?

the examples are numerous over over run projects, over spent, under budgeted, poor work, poor design (port tunnel, terminal 2 etc). it shouldnt be accepted but shouting about the quay projects like they are uniquely running over time is just disingenuous. What have you done to not accept the status quo?

The runway is a perfect example, we would like the 10million extension but everyone including the main man out there recently said that unlikely to get that or second best option (5-6 mill) and that third best option is probably best we can do for now (couple mill). So would you accept second third best here, its not the best but it would allow a good few jets to land?

As I said Max, they're not building the runway on the Quay. In the middle of a tourist season. With a few lads and two mini diggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC08802_zps66e15498.jpg

Replica ship under construction on the quay roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Someone donated a buggy to the cause there this evening, didne seem to be any work going on there this evening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

fine crop of weeds growing in the undisturbed soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

What a ridiculous thing that little ship is.

How stupid.

Wonder how much money was wasted on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I'm going to take a stab at 8 grand. I would of thought roundabouts should be free of serious distractions to drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jayboi wrote: »
    I'm going to take a stab at 8 grand. I would of thought roundabouts should be free of serious distractions to drivers.

Pretty sure it was donated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Someone donated a buggy to the cause there this evening, didne seem to be any work going on there this evening at all.

Lots of work going on down the lower end of the quay by Tracey's Hotel and the Brewery last week late evening. They also did some surfacing on the first of the new islands, leaving just the area with the pipes and soil to be finished in that area. The second island needs more work.

It was donated to the council. Though 8k in public service terms would have been a bargain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

What a ridiculous thing that little ship is.

How stupid.

Agree 100%, hopefully someone will rob it and sell it for scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It may have been donated, but installing it will cost probably 20k.

But that's OK, it will bring in the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The quay should not have been re vamped in the middle of the busiest tourist season in the year - its stupidity of the highest order to carry out this type of work in the middle of the summer season. Waterford should be in bloom, it should have been spruced up for summer. Spraoi is our time to show off the city and lessons should have learned from the mess made with Gladstone
    street many years ago.

Lots of building projects in Ireland do run over budget and seriously suffer from long delays however if proper penalty clauses were written into public contracts, as they are in private contracts, delays and overspends would be quickly stamped out. Its never ever an excuse to say it always happens, its about time it stopped happening, if the people on charge worked for most private companies they would be sacked and rightly so.

Some people are stating that parking and access to Waterford City are a turn off, these are the facts as they see it, its pointless not to recognise that for some these are issues which need to be addressed.

Until Waterford City can attract the shops like H and M and New Look, shops that are cheap to shop in, people will continue to shop in Kilkenny, etc.
    Until access and parking and other problems are addressed Waterford won't attract the business it needs, either for the shop owners or the shoppers.

We need jobs, people need to have money to spend in town, its useless just walking around with no money in your pocket. Some things are out of the hands of the ordinary person, they just don't have the power to bring about the radical change needed - change can happen but our city and town councillors really need to step up to the plate locally - our TDs, the IDA and anyone with ability to lobby and have their voice heard will need to shout as loudly and effectively as they can; it would be handy if we could all shout the same message and not make excuses for bad management. Waterford City is finished as the regional capital until change is forthcoming.

The quay should not have been re vamped in the middle of the busiest tourist season in the year - its stupidity of the highest order to carry out this type of work in the middle of the summer season. Waterford should be in bloom, it should have been spruced up for summer. Spraoi is our time to show off the city and lessons should have learned from the mess made with Gladstone
    street many years ago.

Lots of building projects in Ireland do run over budget and seriously suffer from long delays however if proper penalty clauses were written into public contracts, as they are in private contracts, delays and overspends would be quickly stamped out. Its never ever an excuse to say it always happens, its about time it stopped happening, if the people on charge worked for most private companies they would be sacked and rightly so.

Some people are stating that parking and access to Waterford City are a turn off, these are the facts as they see it, its pointless not to recognise that for some these are issues which need to be addresses.

Until Waterford City can attract the shops like H and M and New Look, shops that are cheap to shop in, people will continue to shop in Kilkenny, etc.
    Until access and parking and other problems are addressed Waterford won't attract the business it needs, either for the shop owners or the shoppers.

We need jobs, people need to have money to spend in town, its useless just walking around with no money in your pocket. Some things are out of the hands of the ordinary person, they just don't have the power to bring about the radical change needed - change can happen but our city and town councillors really need to step up to the plate locally - our TDs, the IDA and anyone with ability to lobby and have their voice heard will need to shout as loudly and effectively as they can; it would be handy if we could all shout the same message and not make excuses for bad management. Waterford City is finished as the regional capital until change is forthcoming.

You can't do some of that work in bad weather, so that partly rules winter out. Plus you have schools back during the winter so the roads are a lot busier. No matter what time you do major road works, chaos will be caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

A thought - there is unusually bad traffic going to and from the quay lately and the excuse seems to blamed on the construction however all the construction has done is close off one lane each direction no more than the planed changes to the quay are due to do.
    I would worry then that chronic traffic is to be a permanent fixture of the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

A thought - there is unusually bad traffic going to and from the quay lately and the excuse seems to blamed on the construction however all the construction has done is close off one lane each direction no more than the planed changes to the quay are due to do.
    I would worry then that chronic traffic is to be a permanent fixture of the quay.

You're right that the construction isn't really doing much beyond what will be the situation after the works are finished; however, I think everybody will get used to it eventually and traffic will flow decently well. Heard on wlrfm someone saying that zebra crossings should have been done rather than lights for pedestrians - that probably would be better as I see lots of traffic backing up each time one pedestrian wants to cross. Anyway, I still think the new layout is better than having people veering across several lanes of traffic in order to make a turn.

Personally I don't like that there are parking lots all along the riverfront to start with, but with the parking situation as it is I don't see that disappearing anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

...I would worry then that chronic traffic is to be a permanent fixture of the quay.

Oh it will be.

You grant planning permissions to allow the urban fabric to be utterly centred around the motor car and then make it difficult to use said motor car.

So when you're sitting in traffic or wondering why the Dunmore Road is festooned with even more traffic lights - you'll know it's the latest wacky philosophy at play adhered to with gusto by the local government drones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The amount of people giving out is hilarious. I always zip up through ballybricken and avoid the quay altogether with great success. Would people not think to try a different route rather than sit in traffic for what seems to be a very long time....

• Advertisement

Lots of work going on down the lower end of the quay by Tracey's Hotel and the Brewery last week late evening. They also did some surfacing on the first of the new islands, leaving just the area with the pipes and soil to be finished in that area. The second island needs more work.

Buggies dumped. Weeds growing. The only place where buses could unload in Bridge Street paved over. You couldn't make this stuff up.:mad:

You can't do some of that work in bad weather, so that partly rules winter out. Plus you have schools back during the winter so the roads are a lot busier. No matter what time you do major road works, chaos will be caused.

I've bolded the key words. The Council seems to have folded its arms, sat back, and let the contractor proceed willy nilly. That's how it looks anyway.

These are MAJOR road works. Which should have been completed in the shortest time possible. As it is it looks like some lads doing a garden whenever they can get to it.

7upfree wrote: »
    I've bolded the key words. The Council seems to have folded its arms, sat back, and let the contractor proceed willy nilly. That's how it looks anyway.

Doubt it. This would all have been planned put. Its not due to be completed until November (this whole phase of works).
    These are MAJOR road works. Which should have been completed in the shortest time possible. As it is it looks like some lads doing a garden whenever they can get to it.

Heh? They work every day, bar weekends I think, from morning till evening and some nights work late evening.

I have no idea why its slow, I am no construction expert but I assume its all above board and well planned out with the council. Quay nearly finished by the looks of progress, even though its going at a horrendous pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

they are working on the rice bridge section from 7pm-midnight monday to this thurs.

Causing chaos and framing our city as a building site all summer can't be excused or reasoned away - it was and is inexcusible.

Bad weather; I know we're the gentle county but I wonder how they manage in the Baltic countries or in a typical Irish summer.

Maybe people in Waterford accept to little and never question enough.

Causing chaos and framing our city as a building site all summer can't be excused or reasoned away - it was and is inexcusible.

Tourists don't expect Waterford to be like this all year. There not stupid.
    Bad weather, I wonder how they manage in the Baltic countries or a typical Irish summer.

I have no idea, but this was what I was always told when it came to certain road works. It has to be done in the good weather, it doesn't go well in the bad weather. Even this summer when I was pushing an issue here in Tramore about lack of council workers attending the bins, I was told they were working on roads as its the best weather for it.

Tourists don't expect Waterford to be like this all
    year. There not stupid.
    =]
    I doubt they think about what Waterford is like all year; when most people go on holidays if their destination of choice does not live up to their expectation they just don't come back. They don't recommend it to others and they may even go on sites like this one and Tripadvisor etc etc and discourage others from coming here.

Everyone wants Waterford blossom but we all have to raise our game if this is going to happen. Its a top down situation purely because the people at the top are getting paid to do the substantive work effectively, if they are doing what they are paid to do effectively there should be a trickle down affect.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - sadly very few buying desert here -
    we need action not excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

^^^Your post has made me hungry... :(

=]
    I doubt they think about what Waterford is like all year; when most people go on holidays if their destination of choice does not live up to their expectation they just don't come back. They don't recommend it to others and they may even go on sites like this one and Tripadvisor etc etc and discourage others from coming here.

Yes but road works in a city centre that are designed to improve it are not something people focus on in their reviews. They focus on the city itself, the shops, things to do, food, service, friendliness, cleanliness and so on.
    Everyone wants Waterford blossom but we all have to raise our game if this is going to happen. Its a top down situation purely because the people at the top are getting paid to do the substantive work effectively, if they are doing what they are paid to do effectively there should be a trickle down affect.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - sadly very few buying desert here -
    we need action not excuses.

Waterford has been on its knees well before the road works so business being poor cannot be related to it. It appears that the businesses are in favour of this also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yes but road works in a city centre that are designed to improve it are not something people focus on in their reviews. They focus on the city itself, the shops, things to do, food, service, friendliness, cleanliness and so on.

Sparking Sea you're right in the thrust of your argument, but I think Sully is right about roadworks - I don't think I've ever worried too much about them in any city I've visited. They're just a part of city life, and for me it's nice to see that a city is investing in its future.

Far more of a worry would be bad food, bad accommodation and surly staff in restaurants, hotels and museums. Also any sort of general air of decay, or threatening atmosphere (particularly if you have fairly empty streets with only dodgy characters walking around) would be a big thing for me. The antidote to that is to have plenty of life and buzz around a place.

Advertisement