Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terraced property, avoid?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm continuing my search. Is there anything to fear from terraced property if I want to move on in a few years?. I've heard that apartments won't be part of the next boom,is there any danger that terraced houses could go the same way?.

The property I'm thinking of is about 45 years old in a fairly good Limerick City suburb,but there's elements everywhere,nowhere is entirely clean now. I would post a pic but there's always the off chance that the owner could be hovering around. Asking price is E150k,the auctioneer said less would be accepted,I'm thinking of around E100K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I've heard that apartments won't be part of the next boom,is there any danger that terraced houses could go the same way?.

This is soooo not going to end well........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't really see what being terraced has to do with it.. what is your worry? The majority of houses in this country are terraced houses I would think. If you're buying in a city, they make up the vast majority of house options. If you wanted to steer clear of terraces you would be leaving yourself far less choice of property to purchase.

You mention apartments- thousands of poorly built shoe boxes were constructed in under populated places during the 2000's and were bought by people as a 'step on the property ladder,' not as family homes for the future. Now apartments have a reputation for being poorly built during the boom and most people don't want to raise children in an apartment, hence the problems with selling them now. Nothing of this scale has happened to houses, terraced or otherwise..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Nothing wrong with a terraced house if the soundproofing is good. Some houses you can hear everything nextdoors, others (like mine) can't hear anything.

Houses if well built and well located (and with gardens) will stay desirable - for whatever the going rate is whenever you want to sell it.

To be honest being terraced saves you having to insulate 2 sides of the house.

True- my terraced house is a lot warmer and easier to heat than my old semi detached!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Terrace properties have a two problems.
    • Noise
    • Access to the back gardenn (this means bins come through the house )
    Benifits can be :
    • Less heating(in poorly insulated property)
    • Attic conversions can have more room
    Noise can really effect your enjoyment of a home. Some terrace properties have lanes meaning you have access to the back without going through the house. I hated living in a terrace mostly due to the access to the back.
    Noise wasn't bad but that was the person not the building.

People do value them less for a reason, as they do with north facing back gardens. Some things will always be better. Location is always the key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Noise problems depend on build quality. Many (but by no means all) newer terraced houses have poor sound insulation; most (but by no means all) older houses have good sound insulation.

Access to the back garden is a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I lived in a terraced house in Crumlin and the noise from one side (the side where our living room and theirs were adjacent) was terrible, as in we could hear EVERYTHING that happened in there.

Fights, stereos, TVs, alarm clocks in the morning, the lot, if you are sensitive to noise be very careful about a terraced house.

I live in a terraced house that was built in 1930, it's completely insulated and dry-lined and I can hear nothing from either side. I think it definitely depends on the quality of the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Me too. My house was built in the 30s, no wall insulation, but can only very rarely hear anything at all from next-doors on either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I lived in a terraced house in Crumlin and the noise from one side (the side where our living room and theirs were adjacent) was terrible, as in we could hear EVERYTHING that happened in there.

Fights, stereos, TVs, alarm clocks in the morning, the lot, if you are sensitive to noise be very careful about a terraced house.

Could be exactly the same with a semi - just one side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Freiheit wrote: »
    I've heard that apartments won't be part of the next boom
    Do you think that you will still be around if or when that happens?

Advertisement