Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social houses in my estate

Options
  • 12-12-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Bought a house in a estate, 4 bed detached home. Over the last week there has been 8 estate houses in my estate given out as social housing. These houses were originally down as affordable housing but the council have now given them out as social,

Is my house now worth less because of these social houses??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No. Your house is worth less because of the state of the housing market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Who knows really I suppose it depends who moves in to them as not all social housing tenants will devalue an estate!! Affordable social or private someone dodgy could move in to any of them wouldn't be exclusive to social housing. And a buyer won't necessarily know what house is privately owned rented or social

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

Not at all. There's social housing in every estate now

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crimebuster

what about one of the new social housing people who moved his 3 cars, that are not roadworthy into pubilc car parking spaces in the estate!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

what about one of the new social housing people who moved his 3 cars, that are not roadworthy into pubilc car parking spaces in the estate!!!!!!!
    Speak to the council's housing department about it. Or I suppose you could speak to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Yeah, ring the guards and tell them someone has parked a car in public car parking spaces and let us know what they say. :rolleyes:

I highly doubt social housing tenants are affecting the value of your house one way or the other. If anything, it's likely they're helping you out. A prospective buyer would be much more put off by a large section of the estate being unoccupied and falling into disrepair. Social housing, if managed well, is completely indistinguishable from any other housing.

how about no tax on any of the cars and only 3 wheels on one of them!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

how about no tax on any of the cars and only 3 wheels on one of them!!!
    Heaven's to betsy, pretty soon you'll have black neighbours too! :eek: :rolleyes:

Really, what's the point in whinging? Your house is probably worth a lot less than what you've paid for it, some social housing dotted around the estate isn't going to make much of a difference.

it must be nice paying 30 euro a week for the same house i pay over 1000 euro a month for, i take it that you are on the gravy train too!!

it must be nice paying 30 euro a week for the same house i pay over 1000 euro a month for, i take it that you are on the gravy train too!!
    And most of that €1000 is probably interest, sucks to be you!

• Advertisement

ah beats being a scrounger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Yes it must be:rolleyes:

Fact is people are entitled to these because of their situation and to them that €120 per month is probably just as hard to pay as your €1000 a month. get on with your life and stop moaning about your neighbours who have done nothing wrong because that last post makes you sound like a dick head.

The house 2 doors away from me(mine is rented) is a social house, we didnt know untill we were living there 2 years and our kids became good friends, no one would ever know unless they were told

No "gravy train" here before you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

They're still allowed park there and you would probably have no problem with them whatsoever if they were private owners.

Look, this is clearly nothing to do with house prices. You're p****d off that they're paying social housing rent (often a lot more than €30pw by the way) and you're paying off an over-inflated mortgage.

My advice would be to let it go. Don't think about it as you'll only end up resenting your neighbours (more than you already do) and hating where you live. It's not worth it.

there 120 euro is hard to pay, come out of the fog.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Wait til your mortgage is paid off - you'll have an extra E1K pm as disposable income and those "scroungers" will still be paying E30 pw - sucks to be them.

no fog around here, do you know their situation? may not be hard for you but your really not in a position to comment on anyone else without knowing the facts and as another poster pointed out its usually a fair bit more than €30, i know a girl in a small 2 bed apt and her rent is €45 pw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Why is everyone so bitter towards crimebuster, he's after paying top dollar for his house from money he has worked had to earn then someone down the road gets a free house for a couple of euro a week. It's not that hard to understand his frustration.

As for the value of his house, without doubt it has down valued his house. If I was buying in an estate I'd perfer not to take the chance that I could be next door to nackers. I've seen where this has happened and the estate's have been practically ruined and I pity the people who are still paying big mortgages on houses on area's that have gotten bad reputations.

I know that everyone in social housing aren't like this, bla, bla, bla but I've seen enough of scumbags wreck a place because they know the council will re-house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Because of course what we should do is take everyone who needs council housing and ghettoise them. Nothing ill can come of that.

They're renting, you've bought. You're not in the same situation, so don't bother comparing.

**** sake lads Knackers and scum bags can buy houses next door to you too.
    I know that everyone in social housing aren't like this, bla, bla, bla but I've seen enough of scumbags wreck a place because they know the council will re-house them
    could just as easily happen with privatly owned houses anywhere in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You'd probably be a much happier (and less unpleasant) person if you didn't worry about what other people have and how much they're paying for it. If they're paying €30 or €30,000 per week, it really shouldn't make any difference to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Survival of the fittest no longer applies.
    In olden days a man could reap rewards based upon effort but now everyman get the same reward regardless of effort.
    Now you will be lambasted for even questioning how somehow a person that pays a little gets the same as you.

ah beats being a scrounger
    lol, keep telling yourself that. I'm sure given the same choice again of paying your mortgage and pissing away thousands of euro or paying a few euro a week for the same house, you'd choose the mortgage. Because it ''beats being a scrounger''. :rolleyes:

Zamboni wrote: »
    Survival of the fittest no longer applies.
    In olden days a man could reap rewards based upon effort but now everyman get the same reward regardless of effort.
    Now you will be lambasted for even questioning how somehow a person that pays a little gets the same as you.
    and is that not much better than having kids brought up in complete poverty:confused:

worry about yourselves not anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The ignorance of some people.
    Just because someone is on the dole doesn't make them a scrounger, lazy or any less of a person.
    There is some among them who are bad apples but there is probably more bad apples out there that are not on the dole.

People who claim social benefits in this country are getting an unfair bad reputation. Joan Burton really makes them out to be a bunch of no good nicks.

Paying a 1000 euro on a cardboard cut out house on an soulless estate is not summit people should be made aspire to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

Wake up and stop being so nasty....... My wife died 2 years ago, I had to give up work to be there for my two young daughters as we have NO ONE, we lost everything and im struggling to see us through the winter let alone xmas on 160 euro a week out of which 35 goes to rent, YES that 140 a month is crippling to me, id swap your poxy 1000 euro a month mortgage for my life back and to see my girls smile again..... Oh and yes im on the social housing list........THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN................ HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

Yay let's all thank the random emotive post.

and is that not much better than having kids brought up in complete poverty:confused:

There is nothing wrong with social housing to help those in genuine need but surely a citizen who has paid taxes, and put in years of work should have better accomodation than a citizen who doesn't work or pay taxes?

Zamboni wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with social housing to help those in genuine need but surely a citizen who has paid taxes, and put in years of work should have better accomodation than a citizen who doesn't work or pay taxes?
    You realise not everyone in social housing is a 'scrounger'? The majority of them also pay taxes and put in years of work.

You realise not everyone in social housing is a 'scrounger'? The majority of them also pay taxes and put in years of work.

Of course I realise that but do they really need to be in the same level of accomodation?
    Because by doing so, we remove one of the incentives to work and have a career.

• Advertisement

so who pays the new house tax of 100 euro a year for these social house??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement