Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social houses in my estate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Zamboni wrote: »
    Survival of the fittest no longer applies.
    In olden days a man could reap rewards based upon effort but now everyman get the same reward regardless of effort.
    Now you will be lambasted for even questioning how somehow a person that pays a little gets the same as you.
    Yea, and in the 'olden days' we had ghettos in our cities with families of 10 living in one or two rooms. We had a social gap, where hundred's of thousands of people who had the potential to be leaders, innovators and inventors never realised that opportunity because they couldn't afford an education, or had health problems because of lack of public healthcare. Society as a whole loses out when you move to a 'survival of the fittest' model. Humans are so successful because we're social creatures and have evolved to work together because it benefits everyone overall, rather than fighting amongst ourselves.

More equal societies are better for everyone. Yes, you need to take the bitter pill that some people will abuse the system, but you don't design a system based on the few folks who abuse it, you design a system to get the desired outcome, which is a better society for everyone.
    http://understandingsociety.blogspot.com/2011/07/income-inequalities-and-social-ills.html

Ever been to Scandinavia, it's nice to have a place without scumbags. For you, for your friends, for your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

p wrote: »
    Yea, and in the 'olden days' we had ghettos in our cities with families of 10 living in one or two rooms. We had a social gap, where hundred's of thousands of people who had the potential to be leaders, innovators and inventors never realised that opportunity because they couldn't afford an education, or had health problems because of lack of public healthcare. Society as a whole loses out when you move to a 'survival of the fittest' model. Humans are so successful because we're social creatures and have evolved to work together because it benefits everyone overall, rather than fighting amongst ourselves.

I'm all for social housing.
    I just believe the basics should be covered and no more.
    p wrote: »
    More equal societies are better for everyone. Yes, you need to take the bitter pill that some people will abuse the system, but you don't design a system based on the few folks who abuse it, you design a system to get the desired outcome, which is a better society for everyone.
    http://understandingsociety.blogspot.com/2011/07/income-inequalities-and-social-ills.html

No, you design a system that incentivises achieving the highest level of education, work and contributing to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

ronan45 wrote: »
    What irks him is that while he sweats about paying his mortgage each month he comes home and theres his neighbours chilling out in the sun with cans having a whale of a time lol
    I'm sure that this is a very regular occurrence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So what's the solution then? Leave these houses empty to protect the mortgage holder's feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

So what's the solution then? Leave these houses empty to protect the mortgage holder's feelings?

Nope, what we need to do is build a huge bridge and stick all the trolls under it. Then the rest of us can get on with our lives without being annoyed by these petty/ignorant/jealous creatures!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

The governments aim in relation to housing is to enable every household to have available an affordable dwelling of good quality, suited to its needs, in a good environment.

The general strategy is for people who can afford to provide their own housing for themselves do so, and those that cant would have access to social housing or income support to rent private housing.

I dont think someone on Social Welfare should be made live in a sub standard house and to say they should is a bit silly. While it might be annoying for the OP to see someone living in the same house as him for 120 per month and him paying 1000 per month the OP made the choice to buy and didnt choose to wait for a Social House to become available and therefore now must pay the mortgage.

Chances are if you buy a house in an estate built in the last 8 or 9 years you will be living in an estate with a mix of private, affordable and social housing, so its up to you which one you choose to try acquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ArseBook

Yeah I agree, no one who has the brains to get a house from the council for a small rent should have to share an estate with people who were/are idiotic enough to buy hundreds of thousands worth of negative equity. It must be embarrassing for the council tenants to have to share an estate with such morons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's more about protecting the mortgage holder's investment, which to be fair, is not the job of the government. It's the job of a house-buyer to try to account for all potential situations that might affect the value of the property.

I do feel sorry for the OP (well, I did at first). Undoubtedly his house will go down even more in value due to the presence of social housing.

I would also be livid if someone was hogging limited spaces with untaxed pieces of crap, though the council should be called about sorting that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Just hope the OP never falls on hard times.

Karma is a ***** after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

just thinking this myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would people be able to tell the difference between an estate exclusively of social housing vs a private one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

donalg1 wrote: »
    The governments aim in relation to housing is to enable every household to have available an affordable dwelling of good quality, suited to its needs, in a good environment

Now WHEN I get back to work i'll be buying a small piece of land and building myself one of these :). Cheap to build, and energy efficient, now if the government is looking to make available affordable dwellings of good quality and in a good environment..... then here's the answer...... far more appealing than all the cardboard boxes thrown up in the boom ;)

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Cob+houses&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KnfnTszBOdCBhQf11cW3Cg&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

bubbuz wrote: »
    Now WHEN I get back to work i'll be buying a small piece of land and building myself one of these :). Cheap to build, and energy efficient, now if the government is looking to make available affordable dwellings of good quality and in a good environment..... then here's the answer...... far more appealing than all the cardboard boxes thrown up in the boom ;)

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Cob+houses&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KnfnTszBOdCBhQf11cW3Cg&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

I like it Frodo, but where will Samwise live?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 skinsuit

I live beside a block of social housing and I wouldn't really notice it to be honest. Except for Christmas, of course, when the entire block becomes a giant oddity with neon Jesus heads poking out over balconies and 10 foot Santis climbing up the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I like it Frodo, but where will Samwise live?

But would it attract trolls though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

BostonB wrote: »
    But would it attract trolls though? :)

Orcs can eat the trolls. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zamboni wrote: »
    Survival of the fittest no longer applies.
    In olden days a man could reap rewards based upon effort but now everyman get the same reward regardless of effort.
    Now you will be lambasted for even questioning how somehow a person that pays a little gets the same as you.

Not true. REALLY! tell that to pensioners. Trying to stay alive in this bitter cold.

News for you; Ireland is a welfare state. You don't like it? Bye bye! Welfare state means that those who cannot work etc get cared for.

Alternatives? Old man last week, homeless, died in the cold in Dublin.

I know no pensioners who live in any luxury. Who have more than the basics.

Before you say it, this cheap laptop was a gift. The begrudgery here is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true. REALLY! tell that to pensioners. Trying to stay alive in this bitter cold.

News for you; Ireland is a welfare state. You don't like it? Bye bye! Welfare state means that those who cannot work etc get cared for.

Before you say it, this cheap laptop was a gift. The begrudgery here is a disgrace.

Control yourself. It's embarrassing.
    I haven't made any statement on pensioners or homeless people.
    There is no begrudegery from me either. I hate the game, not the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

OP, people in social housing are livin there as they cannot afford to rent privately. There are very little employment opportunities in Ireland at the minute. If these people weren't provided with a rent supplement, they would be homeless. That's the reality. Is this what you would prefer? Thousands and thousands of homeless men,women and children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

ElleEm wrote: »
    OP, people in social housing are livin there as they cannot afford to rent privately. There are very little employment opportunities in Ireland at the minute. If these people weren't provided with a rent supplement, they would be homeless. That's the reality. Is this what you would prefer? Thousands and thousands of homeless men,women and children?

I think its a case of the NIMBYS

"Not in my back yard syndrome"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

One of the (many) problems that lead to our economic collapse was moving the wealth from the working generation to the retired/retiring generation (through exorbitant property prices ).Now by all means not every "pensioner" took advantage of this or was in a postion to take advantage,but many did.

I believe we should look after our pensioners ,sure me own Da falls into that category.But to say that generation as a whole lives only on basics is very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

He was a 46 year old alcoholic who got drunk and fell asleep. As he was homeless and Slovakian, I have no idea if he was entitled to any help from the welfare in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

Op I feel for your situation, while you have to go out and work hard everyday for your new house some other sloppy git is basically given one for free and making a mess of the place. The welfare system (in principle) of this country is something I am proud of as an Irish man, when your neighbor falls on hard times you help him out.. its the widespread abuse and poor administration of it that I have a serious problem with. There are career welfare cheats up and down this country getting away with some laughable sh!t.. generations of them all the same, career single mothers with 4+ kids, more kids = more welfare and a bigger house, men who never done in a tap even in the good times but they are simply let away with it and the system is easily played, add to that the sense of entitlement, the country is a laughing joke and a gold mine for a lot of eastern Europeans. I was paying top dollar for a renting a nice apartment until a bunch of pikeys were moved in to another unit under some social housing scheme.. all driving 2009 cars btw but no one asks a question or connects the dots, needless to say I moved out when the burglaries started. If I were looking to buy a house and I went to view one on a nice estate but that estate had a few unsavory looking types housed there with knackered out cars lying about the place it would put me off buying so I guess yes it could effect the value of your home unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

OP - 8 families in a week or 2 does seem like a bit of an onslaught!

House price will depend on your location and how things develop over the next few years in the estate upkeep, could turn out quite well with great neighbours, wudnt get too upset over it, feic all now you can do and as people say its the same with most estates today and will be even more so in the next few years, 'integration' is the buzz word for forseeable future.

Very easy for people to critise you for your opinion but the same thing would be going through my head if some fella dumped 3 cars in the few spaces available..not exactly the best of introductions..report the cars they will get dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bgo1 wrote: »
    OP - 8 families in a week or 2 does seem like a bit of an onslaught!

House price will depend on your location and how things develop over the next few years in the estate upkeep, could turn out quite well with great neighbours, wudnt get too upset over it, feic all now you can do and as people say its the same with most estates today and will be even more so in the next few years, 'integration' is the buzz word for forseeable future.

Very easy for people to critise you for your opinion but the same thing would be going through my head if some fella dumped 3 cars in the few spaces available..not exactly the best of introductions..report the cars they will get dealt with.

+1

Where I live a percentage of the houses were allocated as social housing with strict rules on who got them.The people living in them are grand,better than some of those who are renting houses.In fact the community spirit is actually better.I prefer to see the houses occupied than having a ghost estate.

The only problem with the allocation of the social housing was that they were meant to be all together in one area but when the recession bit the builder sold houses to the council in any part of the estate he could.I was pissed off at the time but feck it,sod all I can do now plus it won't affect my house price as it's already at rock bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Bought a house in a estate, 4 bed detached home. Over the last week there has been 8 estate houses in my estate given out as social housing. These houses were originally down as affordable housing but the council have now given them out as social,

Is my house now worth less because of these social houses??

Yes, it's worth less because of it. There may be alot of undesirables hanging around all day in the estate now. Some may only leave the estate to sign on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

op i see your point, imo its devalued as a direct result and will be hard to shake the resulting implications that 'generally' social housing brings with it. Raw deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crimebuster

nope no Karma here, can afford what i bought

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crimebuster

alphanine wrote: »
    Yes, it's worth less because of it. There may be alot of undesirables hanging around all day in the estate now. Some may only leave the estate to sign on.
    thank god there is someone out there with a bit of cop on, thank you;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bubbuz wrote: »
    Wake up and stop being so nasty....... My wife died 2 years ago, I had to give up work to be there for my two young daughters as we have NO ONE, we lost everything and im struggling to see us through the winter let alone xmas on 160 euro a week out of which 35 goes to rent, YES that 140 a month is crippling to me, id swap your poxy 1000 euro a month mortgage for my life back and to see my girls smile again..... Oh and yes im on the social housing list........THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN................ HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

i'm sorry but you should be on
    unemployment....at 1/2 rate.......195/2=92
    widowers.........................................193
    childrens allowance...................280/4.3=60 something
    so thats 340

check with social they are messing you around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement