Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social houses in my estate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 taytoRking?

how many people would be getn social houses if the goverment got off thier backsides and made unemployed people do min 6 hrs a day doing courses to upskill????

4/6 hrs a day = 188 a week

or

8 hrs a day working honestly = 400 a week.....a no brainer something sadly our yellow skinned td's dont have the neck to put in place..........

and b4 people slag me off im unemployed since feb and dont think i should get money for nothing....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

how many people would be getn social houses if the goverment got off thier backsides and made unemployed people do min 6 hrs a day doing courses to upskill????

or

8 hrs a day working honestly = 400 a week.....a no brainer something sadly our yellow skinned td's dont have the neck to put in place..........

and b4 people slag me off im unemployed since feb and dont think i should get money for nothing....
    You think the government should provide a minimum of 6 hours of courses for half a million people every day?

I'm afraid I can't make head nor tail of the rest of your post, are you saying we should spend the 188 per week on the courses instead giving it to people, or we should give people the choice of courses for 6 hours or working for 8?

Really, I have no clue what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

nope no Karma here, can afford what i bought

Er, that's not what i mean. Your circumstances are NEVER guaranteed.

I'm sure there's a lot of people living round the country that would never have dreamt of having to exist on social welfare, but such is the current state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

or

So let's all upskill so there's even more educated unemployed, just super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

You think the government should provide a minimum of 6 hours of courses for half a million people every day?

I'm afraid I can't make head nor tail of the rest of your post, are you saying we should spend the 188 per week on the courses instead giving it to people, or we should give people the choice of courses for 6 hours or working for 8?

Really, I have no clue what you're on about.
    How much do you think thats gonna cost????!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭busymom31

training is very expensive

tutors dont come free
    rent for classrooms
    heat for classrooms
    materials to teach with

even a part time training course costs 1000's a month. nothing is free

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

scrounger
    nackers
    scumbags
    Can we ease off on such comments please?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zamboni wrote: »
    Of course I realise that but do they really need to be in the same level of accomodation?
    Because by doing so, we remove one of the incentives to work and have a career.

What utter rubbish.... So because I am old and disabled I should have junk accommodation? Punish the sick? ( I do have that anyways!!!)

SAME LEVEL!!! Jeepers!

Penalise the many who cannot get a job in these hard times?

Well, thanks to lls who refuse RA that is what many of us have.

Wondering how YOU would feel if you were disabled, out of work etc? Have your tried managing on what the sick and unemployed get?

Work these days is a privilege.

Control yourself. It's embarrassing.
    I haven't made any statement on pensioners or homeless people.
    There is no begrudegery from me either. I hate the game, not the player.

Funny guy! I am perfectly in control thank you.

And you generalise also... We are all on social welfare after all.

NB there is no game without the players... We are the game.

And your posts reek of begrudgery. Reminds me of the old days when anyone asking V de P and others for help ahd to hide even the blankets off the beds as they would be told no money when you have something left to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Dades wrote: »
    It's more about protecting the mortgage holder's investment, which to be fair, is not the job of the government.

It is now.

• Advertisement

Oddjob wrote: »
    He was a 46 year old alcoholic who got drunk and fell asleep. As he was homeless and Slovakian, I have no idea if he was entitled to any help from the welfare in this country

Poor old soul; poor man. To die alone in a strange country with no one to help him... shame on Ireland. Yes he was entitled as he was EU. Shame on Dublin.

ElleEm wrote: »
    OP, people in social housing are livin there as they cannot afford to rent privately. There are very little employment opportunities in Ireland at the minute. If these people weren't provided with a rent supplement, they would be homeless. That's the reality. Is this what you would prefer? Thousands and thousands of homeless men,women and children?

We have family who work with the homeless in Canada and this is the situation there because they stopped paying help.

In one town alone, they feed over 600 a day. Every day.

Sure if that is what you want to see here? Women raising their kids in cars? Men found on a winter morning curled up dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

You realise not everyone in social housing is a 'scrounger'? The majority of them also pay taxes and put in years of work.

Of course I realise that but do they really need to be in the same level of accomodation?
    Because by doing so, we remove one of the incentives to work and have a career.

As opposed to taking everyone who's been dealt a lousy hand, sticling them in a ghetto and then wondering why they seem alienated and hostile twenty years later?

And it wasn't a "random emotive post", it was a highly specific demolition of patronising garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

there 120 euro is hard to pay, come out of the fog.

income 400 euro pcm

120 social housing or 200-280 single room rent
    50 bills
    40 internet
    180 food*

=400
    *cut back on food to spend on bus ticket and college expenses.

clothes ?
    incidental cost?
    college expenditure? (as little as possible 20-30)
    travel? (82)
    heat?
    entertainment?
    savings?
    dental?

Such a gravy train ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

Graces7 wrote: »
    Poor old soul; poor man. To die alone in a strange country with no one to help him... shame on Ireland. Yes he was entitled as he was EU. Shame on Dublin.

What? He never tried to get into a hostel, probably because he wanted to get drunk. It was his choice to move to Ireland where he had no accommodation, his choice to sit in a field to get drunk, his choice not to seek a hostel.

Should the homeless be rounded up every night and forced into hostels?

He made his choices, and there's nobody to blame but him.

Oddjob wrote: »
    What? He never tried to get into a hostel, probably because he wanted to get drunk. It was his choice to move to Ireland where he had no accommodation, his choice to sit in a field to get drunk, his choice not to seek a hostel.

Should the homeless be rounded up every night and forced into hostels?

He made his choices, and there's nobody to blame but him.
    agree you Cant help someone if they dont want help. Its there for them but they must look for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Tordelback wrote: »
    It is now.

Its not and to think that is a perfect example of what a mammy state can do to peoples preception of social services

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Graces7 wrote: »
    What utter rubbish.... So because I am old and disabled I should have junk accommodation? Punish the sick? ( I do have that anyways!!!)

SAME LEVEL!!! Jeepers!

Penalise the many who cannot get a job in these hard times?

Well, thanks to lls who refuse RA that is what many of us have.

Wondering how YOU would feel if you were disabled, out of work etc? Have your tried managing on what the sick and unemployed get?

Work these days is a privilege.

I believe that anyone in genuine need of social housing should be treated with dignity and given safe accomodation that meets their needs.
    There is nowhere in this thread I have said anything to the contrary.

PS: I would respectfully ask that you stop inferring what you think I mean.

I believe that anyone in genuine need of social housing should be treated with dignity and given safe accomodation that meets their needs.
    There is nowhere in this thread I have said anything to the contrary.

PS: I would respectfully ask that you stop inferring what you think I mean.
    but you have said they dont deserve as nice a house as yours. Really who gives a toss? You own yours and were lucky enough to be able to afford to buy, Thats great. These people dont own theirs they just rent. For someone who comes off as financially comfortable and in a good position them selves you are far to bothered about what other people are getting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

but you have said they dont deserve as nice a house as yours. Really who gives a toss? You own yours and were lucky enough to be able to afford to buy, Thats great. These people dont own theirs they just rent. For someone who comes off as financially comfortable and in a good position them selves you are far to bothered about what other people are getting imo

The telepathy in this thread is becoming rather humorous.
    How on earth have you come the conclusion that I
    a) am well off?
    b) own my own house?

Oh and
    but you have said they dont deserve as nice a house as yours.
    No I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think you need to reread this thread and stop changing people comments to suit your arguement

The telepathy in this thread is becoming rather humorous.
    How on earth have you come the conclusion that I
    a) am well off?
    b) own my own house?
    From the way you were speaking i assumed you did and i never said you were well off i said you came accross to me as being comfortable.
    Oh and

No I didn't
    ok but you did say
    There is nothing wrong with social housing to help those in genuine need but surely a citizen who has paid taxes, and put in years of work should have better accomodation than a citizen who doesn't work or pay taxes
    do they really need to be in the same level of accomodation?
    The only people who deserve a nice house are the people who put the graft in and earned one.
    the first 3 imo are begrudging and imo who cares!? like i said before you should worry about yourself and what you have and not what anyone else has
    I'm all for social housing.
    I just believe the basics should be covered and no more.
    explain basics? 4 walls and a roof????

They get what is available. if a 4 bed house in dalky happens to end up in state ownership for some reason and there is a family in the area that needs it why not let them have it???

If i got you wrong i apologise but thats just how you came across to me on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm sorry but you should be on
    unemployment....at 1/2 rate.......195/2=92
    widowers.........................................193
    childrens allowance...................280/4.3=60 something
    so thats 340

check with social they are messing you around

Thank you Tigger, I will be in touch with them today and pray to god that you're right as all I am recieving is 160 widowers payment and 35 of that is used towards my rent leaving me 125 pw. I do however get the childrens allowance 0f 280 a month which I forgot to include. But if your correct in saying that I should be entitled to an extra 33 pw widowers AND 92pw half rate unemployment then that would be a life savour. Sure their are men I used to work with who still live with their parents, no kids, no bills or rent and getting 30 euro a week more than me :confused::confused::confused:. Really appreciate your post tigger, many thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

it must be nice paying 30 euro a week for the same house i pay over 1000 euro a month for, i take it that you are on the gravy train too!!

And you'll be asked to pay the household charge while those
    in council housing won't!!
    You'ld really wonder why you bothered buying your own
    property & not being dependent on the state!

And you'll be asked to pay the household charge while those
    in council housing won't!!
    You'ld really wonder why you bothered buying your own
    property & not being dependent on the state!

Exactly why most people in other country's rent their homes rather than buy, because they're more sensible than to be throwing their money away at new government charges every time the governments feel fit to introduce another.
    It's a known fact that Irish and English people are more hell bent on owning their own house than many other country's. :confused::confused::confused:

The only people who gain out of home ownership is governments,banks and builders, people really need to open their eyes to the big rosey " ownership " thing , it's the biggest scam ever.

bubbuz wrote: »
    The only people who gain out of home ownership is governments,banks and builders, people really need to open their eyes to the big rosey " ownership " thing , it's the biggest scam ever.

And then you STILL have to ask permission if you want to carry out work on your property..... and PAY for that permission....:confused::confused:....it's mad as people still keep buying, lining the pockets of the rich and hanging themselves with a crippling mortgage....:confused::confused::confused:
    Just so they can say....... Well I OWN my house

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Because of course what we should do is take everyone who needs council housing and ghettoise them. Nothing ill can come of that.

They're renting, you've bought. You're not in the same situation, so don't bother comparing.

Surely its only a ghetto if the people make it in to one? If they are all lovely people that are fine to be housed in a private estate then what harm will them living next to each other do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Bought a house in a estate, 4 bed detached home. Over the last week there has been 8 estate houses in my estate given out as social housing. These houses were originally down as affordable housing but the council have now given them out as social,

Is my house now worth less because of these social houses??

What a muppet you must be, why don't you go have a word with your new neighbours instead of having a wasted rant on the internet;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

My thoughts exactly !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement