Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped out, initially CAO, now mature student.

Options
  • 12-12-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I know, yet another one of these threads, i made a new one because none of the other threads had the same circumstances or answers i was looking for.

So i went to college in Carlow, done first year in 2007/2008. Came back for second year and after about a week had to go home due to a combination of money and health issues. I had intended to go back when they were resolved but time passed and i had eventually missed too much and was forced to drop out.

I want to restart the course i was doing, electronic engineering, as i really enjoyed it, but i can't find any information about how to restart the same course. There is a lot of information about how to start a new course after dropping out, which makes finding stuff even harder.

To make it even more complicated i'm 23 now so i qualify for mature students, so i'm not even sure who to talk to about this. The CAO? The college itself? Education minister? :P

I'm not even sure if i should go directly into second year as it's been so long i've forgotten a lot of things i learned. I still have all my notes and books and i'm sure if i spent some time with them i'd remember most things very quickly, but there's still the worry of having to spend the whole year playing catch up and trying to learn new things too.

Anyway, this post is already too long. If anyone has any advice or experience with anything above it would really be appriciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you want to re-apply for the course and you have the points, there is no problem applying again through the CAO - just because you are 23 or over doesn't automatically mean having to apply as a mature student. However, as you did one year already, you'll probably have to pay fees for the first year if you repeat it. Get in touch with the college and ask them for advice on whether or not to repeat the year - there is a chance modules could have changed etc so it's best to be fully informed before deciding what to do. They should be able to help you out (or at least will point you in the direction of someone who will!) with applying and stuff :)

Advertisement