Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance claim no NCT

• 12-12-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I fouud a post relating to this but no outcome. PM'd original poster but no reply yet so forgive me if this is a faq!

My wife and daughter had a car crash last week. The car has been written off. The car was not NCT'd. Will this nullify the insurance? Car was in great nick and recently serviced. No other car was involved. Car spun on black ice. Direct experience in this matter would be great. I have had all the theories but its facts I need!

Thanks folks

Greg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

dont have a clue of car insurance as i dont drive but the only reason that it would be void if the they felt that the car wasnt safe to drive in the first place,ie you had no nct on the vehicle to prove that it was road worthy.excuse my lack of knowledge on this if i am wrong but thats what i would think:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

To be fair, only your insurer can give you facts. Even if another poster went through a similar situation it won't necessarily apply to your specific situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If an NCT could have prevented this matter then they can decline any own damage claims and attempt to recover any third party claims they pay out on from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Really don't no to be honest.maybe try put a cert off your own car in the window and hope for the best.i no that wrong info to be giving but u sound in a bit of bother.but seriously having ur wife and daughter driving a car with no nct is crazy were u just waiting for a test.or just not botherd to get it tested if u were waiting on a test u might have some hope.as u said the car was recently serviced hope all goes well for u.

• Advertisement

swhyte027 wrote: »
    Really don't no to be honest.maybe try put a cert off your own car in the window and hope for the best.i no that wrong info to be giving but u sound in a bit of bother.but seriously having ur wife and daughter driving a car with no nct is crazy were u just waiting for a test.or just not botherd to get it tested if u were waiting on a test u might have some hope.as u said the car was recently serviced hope all goes well for u.

Are you for real? Not only is that illegal, Insurers aren't thick.... cop on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

seriously bad advise, its like digging a deeper hole than u are already in and iirc carries a penalty points an a fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MugMugs wrote: »
    If an NCT could have prevented this matter then they can decline any own damage claims and attempt to recover any third party claims they pay out on from you.

They can try, but they have no grounds. If your car is assessed by them and found to be in noteworthy condition, pre- crash, they would have to pay up. Failing that, and found not to be, your payment can be mitigated due to contributory factors.

Not having NCT is a matter for the State to enforce, and a private company has no authority to attempt to, nor draw any inference from its absence. This is why they still have assessors.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »

They can try, but they have no grounds. If your car is assessed by them and found to be in noteworthy condition, pre- crash, they would have to pay up. Failing that, and found not to be, your payment can be mitigated due to contributory factors.

Not having NCT is a matter for the State to enforce, and a private company has no authority to attempt to, nor draw any inference from its absence. This is why they still have assessors.......

Allow me to spell it out

If an Nct could have prevented this matter.... then they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I know one company that stated in my policy that they MAY refuse to pay out if the car is not roadworthy,eg no NCT (this one was with Asgard). Don't know if they stick to it, as I didn't have any claims.
    Aviva asked me once for NCT certificate along with other documents, before sending out policy, but again, no claims so don't know if they check it after claim.
    Best bet is to make a claim, and see, what happens next. Hope you won't learn hard way. Accident itself is bad enopugh experience. As MugMugs mentioned, don't take any advice in here - as trying to hide facts from insurer may get you in trouble, hiding discs itself may only draw their attention, apart from legality, etc.
    Just make a claim, and let ins company do what they need to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Don't give advice like that in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They can if the wish not pay out if that's what they have in the small print, I know some insurers insist on cars over 10 years having a roadworthiness certificate or possibly NCT will be sufficient. Anything you will hit will be covered regardless but your car could be an optional payout for them, it's a get out clause if they wish should it be in the small print of their policy documentation.

How long was the car out of NCT, if it was years out they are unlikely to look favourably on it, if it was me I wouldn't mention it if it's a couple of months and if they mention it bring evidence of where it was serviced and this may help your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

I stated on my post that it was wrong to say that but I was making a point my apologies won't happen again.i also stated that car shouldn't be on the road if it isn't ncted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

I stated on my post that it was wrong to say that but I was making a point my apologies won't happen again.i also stated that car shouldn't be on the road if it isn't ncted

just wondering to myself

what if the cars nct was out of date but was booked in for an nct

and lets say the car crashed on the way to the test centre

how would it apply there?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Only insurer knows. The best thing to do is to book Nct in advance, and avoid situations like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

evosteo wrote: »
    just wondering to myself

what if the cars nct was out of date but was booked in for an nct

and lets say the car crashed on the way to the test centre

how would it apply there?????????

The lawful thing would be to bring it to the test center on a trailer.
    It is illegal to drive without NCT cert. Doesn't matter if the car is booked for NCT or is on it's way to the NCT center.
    Think about it - this could be 20 year old pile of rust with no brakes bald tires and broken lights. Just because it's "booked in" for an NCT doesn't make it road legal.

However, the Garda will most likely let you off if you can prove them that you have your car booked in for an NCT and the car appears to be roadworthy. Then again, they will most likely let you off even if it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Thanks for all the responses.

Ok, daft advise aside you add insult by suggesting I have my wife and child driving around in an unsafe car! I am not my wifes keeper!

The car is/was a 06 Focus in excellent condition and we have had it from new. It has a full service history and had tyres replaced less than 6 months ago. It slid on black ice, not a car defect. I don't need to be told it should have an NCT or preached about the fact it didn't. These are things I know. (My wife unfortunatley genuinely overlooked the test. Interestingly she was not asked for it when insuring the car! My insurers always ask for mine.) I was meerly seeking others past similiar experiences. Prior to this thread my wife had reported the incident to her insurance company and an assessor had been to the garage to see it. He had put his value on it pre crash and was sending his report to the insurance company.

Once again thanks for the feedback and to the few that PM'd me your experiences have been useful.

I'll update and close the link once the matter is resolved.

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

but43r wrote: »
    The lawful thing would be to bring it to the test center on a trailer.
    It is illegal to drive without NCT cert. Doesn't matter if the car is booked for NCT or is on it's way to the NCT center.
    Think about it - this could be 20 year old pile of rust with no brakes bald tires and broken lights. Just because it's "booked in" for an NCT doesn't make it road legal.

However, the Garda will most likely let you off if you can prove them that you have your car booked in for an NCT and the car appears to be roadworthy. Then again, they will most likely let you off even if it's not...
    I think you'll find that you are permitted to drive a car with no NCT on the day that it is booked.
    You can drive there, fail, and drive home, all legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Ok all! Insurance paid out full amount less the excess! Phew! That is a weight of out minds!

Thanks for the input!

Greg

Advertisement