Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, my phone has gone for repair 6times and needs a 7th one

Options
  • 12-12-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I bought an LG Optimus GT540 from 02 in November last year, every couple of months I've had to send it back for repair.

Summary
    1. Phone started turning off randomly.
    2. Headphone jack stopped working.
    3. Phone started getting extremely hot, hot cup of tea hot.
    4. Insides were replaced, physical buttons broke.
    5. Phone returned unfixed, I was blamed for configuring my phone badly..
    6. Phone replaced, new screen not fitted, white lines around edges.
    7. Phone came back today, same issue as before. Screen not fitted.

I've talked to shop clerks and the manager, seems the only thing they are allowed to do is return the phone to the manufacturer for repairs. I contacted Customer Support and they just told me to talk to my retailer about it and repeated the same statement. Seem's a bit crap though.

I've actually left 02 since as a result of this shoddiness. Just annoying how nothing was ever done, I miss the old days where companies just gave you a refund or let you pick out another model of equal value.

But yeah, anyone know if there's anything I can do? I mean technically the phone ran out of warranty in mid-novemeber and I left network so I'm guessing not. But still, I want redemption.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

dont send it away for repair,they have offered you a repair 6 times and still no luck,replacement all the way,be polite if there saying no and ask for the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

skinny90 wrote: »
    dont send it away for repair,they have offered you a repair 6 times and still no luck,replacement all the way,be polite if there saying no and ask for the manager.

It's been replaced twice now.. Well everything is new except for the back-panel and battery. They just didn't do a good job of putting the thing back together.

But yeah, I think I'll just go in tomorrow and demand a brand new phone or refund to compensate. Not sending this phone in a 7th time.

demand?try handle the situation in a peaceful mannor and do not stamp your feet and go in all guns blazing

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

If a retailer sells a product it must be fit for the purpose for which it was sold. As a consumer you are entitled to assume that much.

If the product does not work the retailer can repair the item, however if following repair it is still not fit for the purpose it was sold then you are entitled to a refund/replacement.

I had similar problems in the past, my union offers free legal advice and this is what they told me, when I rang and told them the this information and that I would be reporting them to a consumer agency I had a replacement the following day.

You do have to keep calm though or you get staff's back up. At this stage they will try to tell you that it's out of warranty, if they do try that, tell them that as the faults were down to the manufacturer the warranty restarted with each repair.

Best of Luck, let us know how it goes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

First things first, it's a 2 year warranty but that's not the issue here.

It matters not that you are not on O2 anymore, your contract of sale is with the O2 store. Send a registered letter to O2 stating your issue in detail and stressing that you will not accept another repair and only a new replacement/refund will suffice. State that you will give them 10 working days to respond and you will issue SCC proceedings if satisfactory response is not forthcoming. If nothing happens, on to the SCC with you, it's simple to do through the web site.

By the way, those phones were shockingly bad for issues. I'm sure if you search online there will be an abundance of problems similar to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Glazun wrote: »
    It's been replaced twice now.. Well everything is new except for the back-panel and battery. They just didn't do a good job of putting the thing back together.

But yeah, I think I'll just go in tomorrow and demand a brand new phone or refund to compensate. Not sending this phone in a 7th time.

worked in cpw for for years that phone should have been replaced the 4th time it should have gone for 3 repairs then replace if you have full packaging then you scan choose a phone if not its the same phone

Yea, noticed that alright! Hence I kept asking for a refund. I think I'll go with that plan anyway.

goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Frowzy wrote: »
    ... At this stage they will try to tell you that it's out of warranty, if they do try that, tell them that as the faults were down to the manufacturer the warranty restarted with each repair....

Disagree.

Disagree.

How come? The two year warranty thing? Yea I'm pretty sure its just one year from sale. I know FoneMenders have their own 3month warranty, but thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All electronic goods sold in the EU have a 2 year warranty. It's in the consumer right's law.

All electronic goods sold in the EU have a 2 year warranty. It's in the consumer right's law.

Wait.. since when? I did wonder why my laptop came with a 24month warranty, but I just assumed it was something Asus do..

... just realised the amount of things I've owned that broke after the first year of use and I just threw them away.. fawk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As stated before, legally your phone has to be fit for purpose and last a reasonable time given its use and cost etc so this high end phone should last a number of years. Your STATUTORY RIGHTS superceed any manufacturer or shop warranty or guarantee.

Any repair should be permenant so only one repair should be accepted, even if they say it is a different fault this time around you can claim that due to the number of faults you reject the item as being not fit for purpose!

It is usually one repair then a replacement and then if the replacement becomes faulty a refund! You should not have to send a replacement or the original off for repair more than once!

If the shop dispute this just walk out and get the forms from the small claims court and send them in, these shoddy phone dealers shops usually capitulate when they get the first letter from the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

The SCC worked for me in a similar situation, I eventually got a refund so I was happy with that. It was really easy to apply. I know how frustrating it is though. Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

caspa307 wrote: »
    worked in cpw for for years that phone should have been replaced the 4th time it should have gone for 3 repairs then replace if you have full packaging then you scan choose a phone if not its the same phone

3 times? I thought that if the retailer offered a repair it had to be permanent?

Tell them you want a refund or a replacement of a different model phone.

Is there not something that can be done for consumers in these situations? Retailers get to make all the decisions, the only comeback the consumer has is to go to the Small Claims Court which isn't always the dream solution it's made out to be (speaking from experience).

Advertisement