Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup & Dog :-/

• 12-12-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

I'm posting as I'm lost as to what to do with my new pup and my dog.

We have our new Boxer pup a week now (Bonnie) and she's 13 weeks old. Bailey my dog is 3 in March (also a Boxer).

They've been really good for the most part but the constant 'fighting' is begining to worry me. Bonnie keeps going for Bailey's legs and bites the side of her face. I think some of it is play fight but then it just gets too physical and nothing will stop them.

We've resorted to picking up the pup and making Bailey go up on her chair but they are CONSTANTLY at eachother. They sleep together perfectly, no hassle there. After a bout of 'fighting' they will both lie on the mat and curl up but during waking hours they just bite and nip!

What can I do? How do I stop this? Bailey hardly gives Bonnie a chance to chew on her toys or even just walk up and down the hall... she gets no peace but Bonnie will also annoy Bailey.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

I would say it's all about hierarchy in the house.
    I have 2 cats(I know, I know) but when I got the second one well for me they seemed to hate each other. Couldn't stay in the same room, constant hissing and fighting. After a few months we noticed improvement - less fighting, they can be even spotted cleaning each other.
    I would give it time, your older dog can feel threatened with a newcomer and your puppy needs to adjust to a new house and its inhabitants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi Aoife, i'm currently going through this also now with my 2 Rottweiler's Buddy is 15mths Izzy is almost 5 mths. This is play fighting with my 2 and I'm sure its the same with your's.

I will try get a video of mine doing it later and see if it is the same. Whenever Buddy gets too pissed off he walks away or twice in the last 2 months he's changed his grumble and she knows to leave him. The same applies with Izzy except she goes nuts at him when she's done playing and she's tiny in comparison!

I would not worry at all and wouldnt stop either of them "biting" its only play. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Its normal, they are just settling in. 3 weeks it usually takes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Aw Garkane thanks! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has 'mental' dogs (not that your's are mental but you know what I mean!)

See, Bailey has never been aggressive and has always submitted to any other dog she's met, so she's not let the 'back the f**k off' bark or growl. Bonnie on the other hand will walk away probably because she's only small and needs a breather but then two seconds later she pounces on Bailey again!

I'll try getting a video of mine also and we can compare lol!
    They're also not reacting to anything we do while they're 'fighting' to try and stop them except like I said my OH picks up the pup and we send Bailey to her chair... Ahhh!!

Ah it definitely sounds like my 2 crazies!

My oh when first seeing them do this start freaking thinking they were about to kill each other, biting, teeth showing the lot, but then I told her to just watch them and you realise they are not actually doing anything at all, more noise, growls snorts and always ending in a bit of kissing between them, I'll post that video too :p

• Advertisement

Bonnie actually pulls on Bailey's face which makes her squeak sometimes but usually it's the growling, snarling, etc etc.. Eugh! It really is exhausting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Hi I have 2 boxers,they can be very rough and mouthy as pups.While its normal for them to play "rough" I would step in if the older one is being hurt and not telling the pup no.My 11 month old boxer can get VERY rough with poor Jessie who is about 9 and most of the time she just sits and lets a yelp so I clap my hands loudly and say "NO",If he ignores me Ill remove him from the room for a minute or so.Now I only have to say NO and he stops(most of the time) hehe.Boxers need a kind but firm hand :)Ive seen loads of people nearly crack up because they boxers were "mental".Best of luck with your puppy,any pics:)

Thanks! Aw, Bailey was a pleasure as a pup compared to this new rascal!

Aw! Your dogs are lovely garkane!

Trying to get my video uploaded so I can post it for you to see! Had no leccy yesterday with the storm so sorry for late post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Just watched the vids. I wouldn't be too worried as neither are really showing true aggression.

Pups are so full of life and can really annoy older dogs! The older dog will be spending allot of its time trying to pup the pup in its place!

I would expect this behaviour until the pup matures a little or until he starts to learn what behaviour the other dog finds acceptable.

Unless it really gets out of hand (which I don't think it will) its probably better to let them sort it out between themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think this is fairly normal for younger dogs. When my parents two JRT brothers were young they were always play fighting. At around 18 months old, it was almost constant for about 6 months. They couldn't walk past eachother without launching into a scrap, and at times it would sound like they were killing eachother. They settled down again though and are best buds once more.
    So I think in the same way that teenagers fight with the parents and amongst themselves, the same is true for adolescent dogs.

I think it's worth remembering that if the bigger dog was actually angry and wanted to end it, he/she could do it in a heartbeat. Vocalisations are all part of playing, so it sounds way worse than it is. When your dog is really pissed off, both you and the other dog will know it, and the other dog will back off.
    It's no harm to assert your authority every now and again by breaking them up when they're getting on your nerves, but unless there's actual physical injury being caused, I don't think there's any need for concern.

The 13 week old in particular I think will spend a few months at this biting and nipping and playing lark, before settling down again for a few months before her adolescence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Took me ages to get used to this with our two.

But be assured as I was that if they were really fighting there would be blood all over the place! "Just talking " I was told. And yes, the cheek biting.

They never hurt each other; just dominance issues. Meant to be scary. All talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

aoife2k wrote: »
    Thanks! Aw, Bailey was a pleasure as a pup compared to this new rascal!

And now I have the puppy broodiness...

Finally got around to getting the video up.. This one is particularly mild to how they usually are. They get so loud sometimes that we have to turn the tv up full...

I've had the flu since Wednesday night and my partner had to go away for a few days... being a worrier I was really stressing about how I was guna manage them with being sick aswell but hey presto! I've figured them out finally!

I just let them 'fight' then Bonnie comes over for a break and they sleep.. out for pees&poos.. and the cycle begins again. It still worries me tho when Bailey tries pinning her down at the neck. I've fallen in love with Bonnie all over again :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LJif7UXCc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, just looks like normal playing to me, particularly the biting of the cheek and nipping at the back legs. Looks like Bailey is the one doing all the winding up, not the pup!

The size differential is big. If Bailey was in any way angry about it, you would know about it very quickly.

Even pinning them down and holding the neck, again perfectly normal. Think of it in the same way that two boys will wrestle and attempt to pin eachother down. Actually managing the pin means that one "wins" and they also both get to take a quick breather before they kick off again.

I always get broody for a second staffie when I see videos like yours, but we just don't have the room :/

Thanks everyone! I can see now that it is playing with them... I was just worried that with Bonnie being so small Bailey might actually hurt her.

Bailey was definitly the instigator in that video but since, Bonnie has learned how to jump on the couch and launch herself at Bailey who's waiting on the mat... absolute hilarity!

Thank you all for your comments.. Happy Christmas! :-)

Advertisement