Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG vs FF - Sabre Rattling

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

finisklin wrote: »
    Good to see that you are a student of History as well as Local Political Science! ;)

ddint realise there was such a discipline:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Not quite sure how you could stretch what I said to that, but then again you seem to be capable of stretching MM's abilities to being an effective public rep and that is quite a stretch.

She's effective in so far as she caught DC with his pants down and he hasn't clarified the Rapid funding that he announced in a blaze of glory 2 years ago, which still hasn't materialised?

Whether or not she delivers anything for the area is another matter entirely, the jury is out on that one. Ringer seems to have caught the headlines recently with his cycling lanes, not sure if that's a claim to fame or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

finisklin wrote: »
    She's effective in so far as she caught DC with his pants down and he hasn't clarified the Rapid funding that he announced in a blaze of glory 2 years ago, which still hasn't materialised?

Whether or not she delivers anything for the area is another matter entirely, the jury is out on that one. Ringer seems to have caught the headlines recently with his cycling lanes, not sure if that's a claim to fame or not.

I have no idea who is right or wrong in this story - the only obvious thing to me is that if Mulherin is unable to secure the €250k herself for her home town while a Mayo man is Taoiseach, and instead feels the need to go and attack a clueless gombeen like Calleary over this funding, it shows just how lowly her position within the party really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

I have no idea who is right or wrong in this story - the only obvious thing to me is that if Mulherin is unable to secure the €250k herself for her home town while a Mayo man is Taoiseach, and instead feels the need to go and attack a clueless gombeen like Calleary over this funding, it shows just how lowly her position within the party really is.

He is a clueless gombeen why exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

He is a clueless gombeen why exactly?

He stuck with Cowan until the last, long after the it was obvious that FF had thrown away our independence. Then, after briefly (and unbelievably) throwing out feelers about going for the leadership, he started sucking up to Martin when he saw that he was the winning ticket. Clearly a latecoming member of the old FF brigade, that party has no future in government until every FF TD in the last government has been moved along, Calleary included. He's only still there himself because of pure luck on three fronts:

1) He had no realistic competition from within the party in Mayo;
    2) Mayo happens to be a five seater constituency with a strong block of older generation FF voters who would vote for a monkey in a suit if said monkey was on a FF ticket;
    3) His main local rival in Ballina is almost as useless.

Calleary is exactly the kind of brainless self-serving politician that this country doesn't need either now or at any time in the future.

• Advertisement

Then, after briefly (and unbelievably) throwing out feelers about going for the leadership, he started sucking up to Martin when he saw that he was the winning ticket.

Brazen.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I disagree iwth Kosmokramer.

I know both the Ballina T.D.s. Both are comparatively young. They are able representatives.. Both have potential to go further in politics

He stuck with Cowan until the last, long after the it was obvious that FF had thrown away our independence. Then, after briefly (and unbelievably) throwing out feelers about going for the leadership, he started sucking up to Martin when he saw that he was the winning ticket. Clearly a latecoming member of the old FF brigade, that party has no future in government until every FF TD in the last government has been moved along, Calleary included. He's only still there himself because of pure luck on three fronts:

1) He had no realistic competition from within the party in Mayo;
    2) Mayo happens to be a five seater constituency with a strong block of older generation FF voters who would vote for a monkey in a suit if said monkey was on a FF ticket;
    3) His main local rival in Ballina is almost as useless.

Calleary is exactly the kind of brainless self-serving politician that this country doesn't need either now or at any time in the future.

At no point did he put out feelers for the leadership, the Irish Times mentioned him in its young guns article. He had no desire for the leadership.

I also know plenty of people in the 20 to 40 age bracket who voted FF in the last election so a little inaccurate in thaassessment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

At no point did he put out feelers for the leadership, the Irish Times mentioned him in its young guns article. He had no desire for the leadership.

I also know plenty of people in the 20 to 40 age bracket who voted FF in the last election so a little inaccurate in thaassessment too.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0105/1224286780525.html

"MINISTER OF State for Labour Affairs Dara Calleary has joined other junior ministers in calling for the leadership of Fianna Fáil to pass to a new generation when a vacancy arises."

"Mr Calleary (37), who represents Mayo, said the leadership should pass to what he called the “Ogra generation”, which had emerged from Fianna Fáil’s youth wing, in a post-general election scenario."

neiphin wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0105/1224286780525.html

"MINISTER OF State for Labour Affairs Dara Calleary has joined other junior ministers in calling for the leadership of Fianna Fáil to pass to a new generation when a vacancy arises."

"Mr Calleary (37), who represents Mayo, said the leadership should pass to what he called the “Ogra generation”, which had emerged from Fianna Fáil’s youth wing, in a post-general election scenario."

And in that article somewhere it says that he is interested in the leadership? When I say Alex ferguson needs to buy a midfielder in January does that mean I think he should buy me?

• Advertisement

Looks like the FF led Ballina Trades Council has been put to the sword (or is it sabre? :rolleyes:) by Mulhearn with the District Hopsital beds remaining open.

Fair play to the staff for having to put up with this PR stuff in the background. I hope that this facility remains open in the future.
    Beds to remain open at Ballina District Hospital

Mayo Advertiser, February 17, 2012.
    The 12 beds at Ballina District Hospital that were threatened with closure will now remain open after the HSE released the funds to ensure their continued operation.

“I’m pleased to announce that the 12 beds that were in danger will not be closing,” Fine Gael Dep Michelle Mulherin said yesterday. “It’s good to see that a common sense solution was found between the HSE, the unions and the staff involved in the issue and the HSE have found the funds needed to maintain that the remain open. I’d like to thank everyone who was involved in the whole process of ensuring this happened. A lot of hard work was done by a lot of people on this issue.”

From here.....
    http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/49620/beds-to-remain-open-at-ballina-district-hospital

Advertisement