Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

options available if i return early

Options
  • 12-12-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I've been in oz for the past 3months and I'm really not feeling it anymore, I was in Melbourne for the first half with a girl however we finnished and I moved Sydney. I have a job with a great waGe nd living with sound Irish people however I just can't get out of this mental hole I'm in.

Is just like to know does anybody know what options I would have available to me if I decide to head home in January? Is also be lookin to head college in September again, I'm 22 now, 23 in September, would there be any government help in regards to goin college?

I know I should be delighted over ere but I can't seem to shake this feeling, and people will say cope on its the oppurtunity of a lifetime and I realise that but its to draining to be here at this moment in time

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Harden up Princess, throw your stuff in a bag and start travelling up the coast, your in Oz at the start of summer and you want to go home.

FFS :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Zambia wrote: »
    Harden up Princess, throw your stuff in a bag and start travelling up the coast, your in Oz at the start of summer and you want to go home.

FFS :-)
    Ha believe me it sounds just as ridiculous to me, I'm not even homesick either

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Personally I agree with Zambia, the amount of people I know who have come out and gone home before the 4 month mark is ridiculous. The majority end up regretting it, and it is a waste of a working holiday visa.

If I could have skipped working on a farm (well i wouldn't of because it was a great experience) and just taken your wasted visa I'd be on cloud nine. The amount of people who want to stay and you're thinking of giving up a good visa to go home early... Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Were you going out with the girl for long? Anyway it seems the fall out didn't do you any good. If you were at home, you'd feel just as bad.
    Stick it out. There's nothing in Ireland right now. Maybe books some trip or something in the next while to take your mind off the whole thing. You'll have something to look forward to and you'll have a great time. Chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

This time of year here is tough, but you got to remember that January in Ireland is absolutely grim, and the last place in the world you would want to be.

Do some travelling. It's insane the amount of Irish who come here and don't leave Bondi Junction or St Kilda. Get out to the West and travel up the coast. The scenery is immense. Stop off in Broome for awhile. You will definetely adore the place. Go through the Kimberleys and visit the Bungle Bungles. Get into the real Outback and check out Uluru, Kings Canyon, Kata Tjuta, Flinders Ranges, Coober Pedy. Get yourself down the Great Ocean Road. Leave Australia with nothing but good memories. Don't me one of those who goes home after 4 months, has seen nothing, and then blabs away to your mates about how "sh1te" Australia is, when you haven't seen anything outside of the cities!

You can do the East yourself but for the rest of Australia check out these guys:

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/

I've travelled on 5 trips with them now (Adelaide to Alice, Great Ocean Road & Grampians, Perth to Broome, Broome to Darwin, and the 3 day Kakadu trip). Have nothing but great experience and have met many great people from all over the world through it. Very fond memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I think its fair to say I haven done the holiday aspect of the whv, maybe the time off at Xmas will change things, if I do go travelling in January is be lookin to comin back after that I'd say,as the thoughts of up rooting again n starting fresh seem a bit scary, generally I'm a strong and indepent character, but I don't feel like myself ere at all...as I said I don't really have anything to complain about, I'm making great money and meeting great people ,no home sickness or anything, just think oz isn't really for me...the only times I feel any sort of indifference to my surroundings is after a few brews , which may get out of hand after a while ha ..ha I sound like a right miserable eejit I know

Thanks for the replies to!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not in Oz but i can kind of relate. Ill be there on friday and im already feeling nervous about it, been with a girlfriend 4 and a half years and dunno if we will stay together over there. But at the end of the day im just gonna dive in and do the year and see how i feel. If ya have been with the girlfriend a long time it could be just you adapting to not having her around. Its a shock to the system and its probably getting ya down. Give yourself a goal for the next couple of weeks (Gym, Sports, Activities etc) and it will take your mind of her and may help ya to sink into normal life again.

Its hard now aswell around christmas but just live for the moment, hope you feel better about it soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

04072511 wrote: »
    http://www.adventuretours.com.au/

I've travelled on 5 trips with them now (Adelaide to Alice, Great Ocean Road & Grampians, Perth to Broome, Broome to Darwin, and the 3 day Kakadu trip). Have nothing but great experience and have met many great people from all over the world through it. Very fond memories.

Any recommendations? You do them all on your own?

Any recommendations? You do them all on your own?

With the exception of the 3 day Great Ocean/Grampians tour when I was with a mate, I did them all on my own. It matters little as the tour groups are usually made up of young people in their 20's and 30's, from many different countries, though mostly European/GB/Ireland (though not too many Irish which is nice). Every one of the trips were incredible but the most enjoyable was the 10 day tour from Perth to Broome. With the exception of a strange German man in his 40's who kept to himself, the rest of the group was between the ages of 18 and 37, and serious craic was had. IIRC we had 6 Irish, around 6 English, a Welsh girl, 2 Swiss, 4 Germans, a French girl, and a Canadian, and almost all of the group were solo travellers, with just one couple, and then 2 pairs of friends. Sessions every single night around campfires, on the beaches, on the bus even. The scenery is out of this world. Isolated beaches that are up there with the best Hawai'i and Brazil have to offer. Wildlife everywhere. Great gorges, hikes etc in Karijini National Park. In general just a class experience travelling such a remote area.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Sounds like you're not over this girl yet.
    You need to try and get out of this frame of mind which can take anything from weeks to months.

With a negative or subdued mindset, it's unlikely you will be happy anywhere right now. And especially not after a night out on a gut full of beer.

Speak to any close friends/family that will listen. Failing that, if your wage is alright consider a professional, like a counsellor. You may only need to see them once.

Set yourself goals, aim to do something by the end of this week. Do the same monthly and even try and set your sights on something for Christmas next year.

It's up to you where you do it. Ireland won't be going anywhere in a hurry and it's going through its own negative phase so I wouldn't be relying on it for pulling me out of a mental hole. If ireland is where your heart is, you'll make your way regardless of what's said here, but I wouldn't be expecting the Govt to give that much Uni help, save your AUD$ or start saving it now. You may need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

04072511 wrote: »
    . Every one of the trips were incredible but the most enjoyable was the 10 day tour from Perth to Broome. .

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to bug you (and hijack the thread!) but what time of year did you do this?

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to bug you (and hijack the thread!) but what time of year did you do this?

No problem at all. I love talking about the West. It makes my day when I convince somebody to travel it instead of the East. :)

I went in July. It's the best time to go as once you get further north there is no such thing as Winter and Summer, but rather Dry Season and Wet Season. You really don't want to be going to Kairijini and Broome among other places in the Wet Season. Dry season runs from April to October-ish. This is even more important if you decide to travel the Kimberleys from Broome to Darwin, as the Gibb River Road and Bungle Bungles are closed during the Wet Season, and the Darwin region is a humid hellhole that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did tours with adventure. Great experience. It's not high class level but a wonderful way to see places. I did it on my own and tbh I think to get the best out of it you have to do it on your own. You bring all the food in the van, come evening after a great day's travelling you all get together to prepare and cook the food. Everyone has to get stuck in. I remember those kangaroo steaks and buffalo burgers! OP you would meet a huge amount of people and see some amazing places. It was great around the campfire at night with a beer and everyone having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Go do regional work, it'll help you clear your head and get a totally new experience plus ul have ur second year in the bag.

Dont do fruitpicking or the like but try and get a job on a sheep or dairy farm where ur bed and board is included. Having a family-like experience will calm any homesickness u have and is actually quite a bit of fun!

Batgurl wrote: »
    Dont do fruitpicking or the like but try and get a job on a sheep or dairy farm where ur bed and board is included. Having a family-like experience will calm any homesickness u have and is actually quite a bit of fun!

Eh, objection your honour. Do NOT do WWOOFing on your own. If you take one piece of advice let this be it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75862840

By all means do the regional work if you want a second year, but doing the whole farm stay thing on your own will not make you feel better one bit. It's a dreadfully lonely existance.

Travel is the best thing to do. Save up as much over the next 2 months. Take off and see the West, Centre, East or wherever. Then if you enjoyed it, then you may decide you dont want to leave after all, and THEN you can do your regional work.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Do NOT do WWOOFing on your own. If you take one piece of advice let this be it.

I did WWOOFING on my own for half the 3-4 months earlier this year and there was nothing wrong with. Though depends on the person. Went to 3 seperate farms in South Australia. Mind you 1 farm had a moody farmers wife. Best to do research on farm and ask questions before you head off.
    Good experience though and a change from city life.

OP hang in there, I know it can be tough at the start and you feel like giving up but trust me you will get used to it as time passes. It is a normal feeling even for me doing the WHV 2nd time round! 1st 2 months in NZ I felt that same uncomfortable fed up homesick feeling but stuck it out. Try and do some tours, see places, get out and meet people even if you can get work on a farm or vineyard the experience will have an effect. Every now and then write down what would you be doing if you went back home early if you gave up this far into the WHV. When you see your answers hopefully it will give you something to reflect on and keep at here. Good luck.

Advertisement