Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board games

Options
  • 21-01-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to start up a board game club in Galway. First off I wanted to know does such a thing already exist, it would save me the trouble of setting one up if it was already there. Secondly, assuming one does not already exist, does anyone know of a good venue in Galway (city preferably) they could recommend? Just so you know what i am talking about - previously I had set up a board games club in Carraroe, a small town west of Galway city, a local cafe hosted us and it worked out really well. Unfortunately the cafe closed down and the club kind of dried up.

FYI, I had kind of asked this here, but I don't want to totally hi-jack someone elses thread so i decided to start a new thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056136178

So, does anyone own or even just know of a venue we might be able to use? All that would be involved is a bunch of us sitting around playing a few board games. I'd rather a public venue rather than someones house because I'd like this to be open for anyone to join, so someones home wouldn't be suitable for this. Currently I have spoken to Buskers pub in town, they were OK with us meeting on Mon/Tues/Wed evenings and said if we were in the habit of buying a few drinks they wouldn't charge us anything for using the venue, but i'd like to hear any other suggestions for venues if possible...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Puteq,it may be of benefit to post this also on the Galway City Forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475 ,if you wish you can place a link on a thread there back to this thread or I could move the thread to there if you like.Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Oh OK Arnhem44, would you mind moving it for me please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Ok then,moved this one to the Galway City Forum,might get more answers here on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Great idea! Maybe try Kellys or the Skeff I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What type of 'boardgames' do you mean?

There's a decent chess club in the city, and I recall seeing an ad for a Go club somewhere. FanSci in the college are very active and seem to meet almost every night of the week for Magick, D&D and god knows what else.
    If you're talking Scrabble or possibly Monopoly, I'm interested.

The Salthouse and The Cottage both have boardgames available for use, so I'd assume they might be willing to accommodate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who buys the game sets? Would you be looking for the pub to store the games for you between times? Would you mind if other people used them? (remember Galway = student town = people likely to think it would funny to remove one piece from a set).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I'd be interested in taking part. The cottage or pjs would both be open to this I'd say. Surely people can just bring a set with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ludo FTW

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ludo FTW

Frustration is great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I would be so up for a Boardgames club. I love them, but unfortunately my friends do not, so I'm forced to play Monopoly and Trival Pursuit against my laptop.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

It was only last week when i played Connect 4, Draughts and Scrabble in the Oslo!!
    Awesome fun :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Frustration is the perfect sort of game to play with a pint or two. The board game fan inside me immediately roared "RISK!!!!" but that wouldn't be too practical at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The board game fan inside me immediately roared "RISK!!!!"

:-| I'm not joining if he is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ficheall wrote: »
    :-| I'm not joining if he is...

1279052383758.jpg?1279054176

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

JustMary wrote: »
    (remember Galway = student town = people likely to think it would funny to remove one piece from a set).
    Depends on the pub. I've never met any of the younger students who even know where pubs like The Salthouse are.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

My girlfriend and i might be interested in this idea.We have loads of board games in our apartment and enjoy just playing eachother in Trivial Pursuit,Game of Life,Connect 4,Discovering Europe amoung others:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Would love to join, love Scrabble 'n those games but alas only in the city occasionally. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just played Monopoly yesterday. Good fun (when you win) :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We used to have epic drunken games of Balderdash.

Oh! Cranium!!! Anyone ever play it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Oh! Cranium!!! Anyone ever play it?
    Have you thought about setting up the cinema club again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CrazyKatie

Articulate is great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anyone remember Quandary ?

I used to be very partial to backgammon too.

Just an update on this to anyone who expressed interest. The Board Games Club is now set up, and will be meeting every Thursday at 7pm. Location of the meeting is at the 091 labs, here:

http://snipurl.com/244x8k

Basically, this is across from the Radisson hotel, on the corner. The building looks like an unfinished construction building from the outside (but dont worry it is really nice inside!) so maybe not a bad idea for your first trip there to have the mobile number of someone else who is going who knows where it is and they can come outside and meet you if necessary. PM me if you are interested and worry you might not find the place, i'll give you my number!

To answer other questions that came up - myself or other members who run it would look after the board games (bring them to the place and home again after). Games are purchased by the club on club funds - every member pays 2 euro every week, and 100% of this goes towards the club. All the details of this are on the clubs facebook page, just look up 'Board Games Club Galway' on facebook - and 'like' it if you want to keep up-to-date on any news, or to have an input on what new games we would be buying etc.

Feel free to pass this on to anyone you know who might be interested, this is open to all members of the public. The Board Games club will be meeting every Thursday at 7. Oh, and one thing - no alcohol permitted, sorry. I would advise everyone to come along to at least one session just to check it out, its a great way to meet new people, and have a bit of fun

Might see ye there,
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

HIT! you sunk my battleship!

man i remember playing drunken "battleship" in the living room years ago shot of whiskey for the 800 brave souls who went down with the carrier on grid D6! :D

LOL dont worry hal9000, THEY LIVE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Cranium FTW!!!!!!
    Used to play it in my old boarding school. 30-40 of us, split between 4 teams. Epic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

If you like board games, try this

Bit hard to get hold of here, i got mine in the US (Banes&Noble) think it can be got on Amazon. Very entertaining but simple.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46213/telestrations

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jocular

Hi, I'm just wondering if this board game club is still going??

Thx.

• Advertisement

Jocular wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if this board game club is still going??

Thx.

Glad you asked, yes this is still going alright, and you are welcome to come along and check it out any Thursday, at 7pm. All the info is on facebook (don't worry even if you don't have an account you can still look it up):

http://www.facebook.com/boardgamesgalway

One thing to note - our old venue (which i mentioned in a previous post on this thread) is no longer our home, we are currently looking for somewhere new, but in the meantime we meet in Squareyes (the gaming cafe in the city centre). Again, all this info is in the 'discussions' section of our facebook page. Hope to see you there!

Advertisement