Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board games

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

We look forward to inviting ye back to 091 Labs once we find a new home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Jocular wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if this board game club is still going??

Thx.

Just to confirm once again for everyone, this board games club is still happening - we'll be meeting at 19:00hrs this evening in Squareyes if you want to come along. just head downstairs there and you can't miss us! It'll be happening there every Thursday at that time until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Board game club sounds funky!
    I've just got myself a room in galway(well once the chick moves out I can move in) so I shall have to check it out when I get settled in :D

Just an update on this for anyone who might be interested - We have a new venue again hooray! Forevermore we will be meeting here:

www.091labs.com/about/

The instructions in the above link are very good at describing how to get there, and its right in the middle of the city centre. It is the home of the 091 labs, a great bunch of people - you can read about them in the above link as well if you like.

If you want to come along and check out the Board Games Club, remember we meet every Thursday at 19:00hrs and everyones first visit is free so theres no reason why not come along and see!

If you are interested you can keep tabs on the Board Games Club on facebook or twitter here:

www.facebook.com/BoardGamesGalway
    www.twitter.com/BoardGamesGWY

Feel free to PM me with any questions etc you might have

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ponyo

Hi there!

I was wondering if there was any board games club in town or places to find proper games like pubs or cafe. I know Blue note has some in it's place that we can use but I'd be looking more for unusual games like:
    Jungle speed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Speed
    Time's up:
    http://www.educationallearninggames.com/how-to-play-times-up-game-rules.asp
    the werewolves of thiercelieux:
    http://mediaplan.ovh.net/~objectif/loups-garous/base/htmA/accueilR.htm

If none, would anyone be interested into meeting in a cafe or in a pub to play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a thread on this topic this summer, I'll merge them so you can read that and maybe it'll pick up again.

cheers for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blastfurnace

This is a brilliant idea. Myself and my girlfriend are looking to get involved with some clubs in Galway. When is it on? Deatils please :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Holyhole

yer im up for a bit of this also.. im a keen munchkin player and am gaging to play war of the ring

This is a brilliant idea. Myself and my girlfriend are looking to get involved with some clubs in Galway. When is it on? Deatils please :D:D

The group has a FB page and give details on it. There was an open day I think a week ago, i missed it...
    I don't know what type of board game you're looking for but I haven't been at the end as I wasn't interested by the games they have.

• Advertisement

Hi, my apologies to the last 4 posters asking about this, don't know how but i missed my email updates about your posts! anyway, we meet every Thursday at 19:00hrs. The best description of where we meet is in this link, but basically if you know Galway, its right above Kennedys bar on Eyre Square:

www.091labs.com/about/

Info on the club is here, though we really mainly use facebook rather than Twitter:

www.facebook.com/BoardGamesGalway
    www.twitter.com/BoardGamesGWY

Feel free to PM me with any questions etc you might have. We already have Munchkin, but since every member contributes 2 euro every week, we keep buying new games. And the decision of what games to get is made collectively by members, so if you want war of the Rings or any other games, just join up and cast your vote!

Hope to see you there

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blastfurnace

WHat is the selection of games currently available?

Is this like scrabble and snakes and ladders thing or more dungeons and dragons??

Current games list is linked here, but i'll list them in case my link doesnt work:

http://tinyurl.com/brqkeog

the games, listed by popularity, is as follows:

Battlestar Galactica
    Cyclades
    Munchkin
    Dominion
    Lunch Money
    Last Night on Earth
    Carcasonne
    Ninja Burger
    Scrabble

However, this only begins to cover it, members can always bring in their own games, we currently have members who bring in a variant of RISK based on Metal Gear Solid, a Terry Pratchet game (I cant quite remember the name), and the most popular game at the moment belongs to one of our members, Game of Thrones. You may be unfamiliar with all of these games (I was before this Board Games Club) but they really are quite good, and the advantage of going to a club like this is someone explains the rules to you rather than having to study an instructions manual for ages before playing!

I guess really long lasting games (like Axis and Allies, and maybe Dungeons and Dragons if you classify that as a board game) we tend to avoid, for no other reason than we start on Thursday at 19:00, and people will want to get to bed at some point during the night, so short(ish) games are preferred. However there have been a few 'games days' happen on a Saturday which allow for longer games, but these only happen every now and again. If you 'Like' the facebook page you will be informed of these events anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

Hi there? Are you guys still active?
    I recently got into board games myself (and I'm not talking about monopoly/risk/cluedo, but rather boardgamegeek.com top 500) and am always looking for people to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Yes they are indeed active. They still meet here in 091 Labs on Thursdays from 7pm.

A few links:

https://www.facebook.com/BoardGamesGalway

http://091labs.com/about/ has a map to show were it is. The address is 6 Commerce House, Flood Street (Halfway between Old Charcoal Grill and Cactus Jacks and across the road - we have feck all signage so the streetview might help)

I attend every so often and it's always good fun. They have a bunch of different games which range in difficulty from dead simple to table flip. People are always welcome to bring along a few new games too. I have to say my favourite is by far Game of Thrones though - it's awesome =)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 capt fantastic

Hi from board games Galway here.

Were still around and were still in 091 labs.

We meet every Friday at 7.

The links above are still relevant if you are looking to contact us.

Everyone is welcome to join us.

Advertisement