Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different broadband speed between neighbours

Options
  • 12-12-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

At my house an eircom line speed test shows a max speed of 12MB

site=Res&lineSpeed=12288

My in-laws next door get a max speed of 24MB
    site=Res&lineSpeed=24576
    They are quite happy with 3MB package which they have. I would like to switch to the eircom 24 MB package and get 24MB (or as close as possible) rather that 12 MB.

Is it possible that eircom could switch the lines between the houses so that I get the higher speed. What other reasons could explain why I get 12MB and they get 24MB?. They are slightly closer to the exchange that I am (perhaps a couple of hundred meters)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

westide wrote: »
    Hi there,

site=Res&lineSpeed=12288

site=Res&lineSpeed=24576
    They are quite happy with 3MB package which they have. I would like to switch to the eircom 24 MB package and get 24MB (or as close as possible) rather that 12 MB.

Is it possible that eircom could switch the lines between the houses so that I get the higher speed. What other reasons could explain why I get 12MB and they get 24MB?. They are slightly closer to the exchange that I am (perhaps a couple of hundred meters)

No doubt eircom can switch lines but wheather they will is another thing. You won't be guaranteed the same speeds either.

What are the stats from router, can you post them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Eircoms line grading data is a mess, often out of date or just plain incorrect. Unfortunately once they have graded your line, that is the max profile that any ISP can apply to your line, whether the data is correct or not.....extremely frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

westide wrote: »
    Hi there,

site=Res&lineSpeed=12288

site=Res&lineSpeed=24576

Hi westide

Can I confirm you are - declancu who contacted us on the eircom online forum as well?

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement