Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable tv that can receive saorview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It absolutely will NOT work.

The "MPEG4" on that product is only the PC ROM files on a disc. Not even the same codec.

You can buy a 16" set.

I don't know of any smaller. There are cheap small adaptors but none are certified so they can be a waste of money in 11 months time if some additional feature is implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 patrick126

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone know where I can get one? Looking for something smaller than 16" if possible as it has to fit on a dash.

you can't legally have a TV on a dash. It has to be somewhere the driver can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 patrick126

I know that its for when he's on a stop over not to watch when driving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

watty wrote: »
    you can't legally have a TV on a dash. It has to be somewhere the driver can't see it.

It worries me Watty that I've seen TV/games units that with screens that CAN be seen by the driver - they slot in to exactly where the car radio used to be:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorised-800x400-Touchscreen-Picture-VT-D1709GT/dp/B002YABVEI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1323814700&sr=8-9

51VfF0GKUnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

7" DIGITAL(800*480) TFT Motorised Touchscreen
    Built In GPS & Built DVB-T Freeview TV
    V-6 Disc Changer (6 Disc Music can be store on internal memory)
    IPOD Control, Picture in Picture (PiP)

I assume these are not supposed to operate if the car is moving - dead easy to defeat this feature, it seems? I fear there are boyracers whizzing round the country playing DVDs (and playing games?) - and they could be coming in my direction .......

• Advertisement

I think it's only a matter of time before there is an accident involved and sale of these are banned Europe wide as well as use.

Inherently if you use such a device with screen out you could be prosecuted for Dangerous driving. Before the specific phone ban was brought in you could be and people were prosecuted for using one hand to drive and the other for the phone.

patrick126 wrote: »
    I know that its for when he's on a stop over not to watch when driving!!

I had assumed so, which is why I suggested a 16", it's about similar to a 4:3 12" so modest size and a bracket to mount can be used and then it safely stowed away while driving.

Even if none of the 16" I've seen are 12V or 24V an inverter is inexpensive for the power. I think price in Hardly Normal is about €129, however we were looking at the €499 LG 42LK450U which gives a good picture and Saorview certified with 3 x HDMI, SCART, Component, Composite, USB playback and RS232 PC control (why?) and VGA in too.

Advertisement