Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lil bit of an upgrade

Options
  • 12-12-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

So going to build a new pc over the next few months, I have an old dell pc for the case, psu, hard drive and disk drive. Going to replace these and get a gpu in a few months time. For now i'm just getting the mobo, ram and cpu. This is what i'm looking at.

item|price
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile|33.18
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3|98.93
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box|194.87
    total + 30 for shipping|326.98

Any better options for in and around the same price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This is a cookie cutter setup for any gaming pc. Best value for money you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

This works out slightly cheaper. Not much in the difference either way, but hey.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €343.18 (inc delivery Free!)
    Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz LGA1155 6MB|€210.98
    Corsair Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz 240-pin DIMM CL9|€39.59
    Asus P8Z68-V LX S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX|€92.61

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

yeah was looking at that motherboard but it doesn't have a pci e 3.0 slot

i want that extra bit of future proofing

It won't make any real difference, to be honest.

Even an overclocked 590 doesn't saturate the PCI-E 2.0 spec bandwidth yet. Odds are that even if you're going for a top-end card in a while, you'll be fine for at least a year with a PCI-E 2.0 board.

Having said that, if you plan on keeping your board longer than that, then by all means look into a 3.0 board.

hmm yeah
    what about going down the amd road, THIS looks like a nice little package, seeing as what you said, not having pci 3 doesnt really bother me.

• Advertisement

wow yeah that review is off putting to say the least......all the other reviews i read had it on par with the 2500k, disappointing because i love that mobo

Looking at getting a MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) mobo now with the same ram and the 2500k all of komplett.

Just a quick question though. If i have windows installed on the hardrive (well two hd's in raid) of my old pc will it still work with all the upgrades?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Serephucus wrote: »
    It won't make any real difference, to be honest.

Even an overclocked 590 doesn't saturate the PCI-E 2.0 spec bandwidth yet. Odds are that even if you're going for a top-end card in a while, you'll be fine for at least a year with a PCI-E 2.0 board.

Having said that, if you plan on keeping your board longer than that, then by all means look into a 3.0 board.

That board only has x4 crossfire and doesn't support SLI btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

some of them dell cases can be a bit temperamental, http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=32897&agid=631

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    some of them dell cases can be a bit temperamental, http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=32897&agid=631

the dell case is only going to temporary

daz801 wrote: »
    the dell case is only going to temporary

problem is dell cases have unique connections or places. so standart boards might not fit in or get properly wired.

Just a quick question though. If i have windows installed on the hardrive (well two hd's in raid) of my old pc will it still work with all the upgrades?
    any help with this

Ordered on Saturday night off komplett, ended up going with an i5 2500k, an msi z68a-g45 and 8gb of corsair ram.

They don't have the i5 in stock at the moment so does anyone know if they'll ship the mobo and ram first and then the i5 when in comes into stock, or will it all be shipped at once when it comes in.

Also still need to know if the copy of windows that is on my old hardrive will still work or if i need to get a new copy.

Ordered on Saturday night off komplett, ended up going with an i5 2500k, an msi z68a-g45 and 8gb of corsair ram.

They don't have the i5 in stock at the moment so does anyone know if they'll ship the mobo and ram first and then the i5 when in comes into stock, or will it all be shipped at once when it comes in.

Also still need to know if the copy of windows that is on my old hardrive will still work or if i need to get a new copy.

good mobo, but has very bitchy sata connections as they go UP, not to the side.

if your GPU will be a bit on a bigger side, then it will be in your way. Was really annoying when i was puting in my 3 slot GPU inside on same board.

As long as you have only one dual-slot card, you'll be fine. SLI could be a bit tricky though.

Serephucus wrote: »
    As long as you have only one dual-slot card, you'll be fine. SLI could be a bit tricky though.

indeed. thats what i am afraid of in the future.

i will have to get those bent sata cables too if i will want sli.

its not fatal problem, but just something to know in the future.

you think this will cause any issues?

Nope. That's dual slot. You'll be fine.

you should be grand.

• Advertisement

Thinking about getting this case and this psu. Anything better in your opinion for about the same price? Prefer an irish site or anywhere else with free shipping

Advertisement