Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulitpacks in pubs?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just a quick question, if a publican purchases supermarket multipack beer to resell, is this illegal or just slightly bad practice. Assuming the beer is bought and sold through the pubs books and the price charged corresponds with the bottle size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Definitely illegal. Says not for resale on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

how much where they charging???...i often see if i got a bottle for 1.50 or 2 euro in a pub its generally a multipack,wouldnt complain if the price is below what it should,if there charging the same amount then yes,if you a right to feel pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I see it in off licences sometimes. They were doing the 8 bulmers for €12 boxes and all the cans were out seperatley. All multipack ones with the red strip on the top of the can. Well I brought 8 up and the lad tried charging me full whack per can. I said the price is there 8 for 12 and he said thats only for the packs. I told him to look at the cans and it took him a few seconds then he says "Oh right" then gives them to me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Africa wrote: »

Not illegal at all unfortunately, although the pubs suppliers may be interested in knowing ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Thats just printed by bottler not govt, that message does not make it illegal

• Advertisement

well well well... I stand corrected!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Just had a long debate with friends about this over the weekend and we couldn't come to a conclusion would appreciate a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not illegal at all - more the case of the publican trying to save a few bob or make a few bob extra.

Most publicans have to buy their splits and soft drinks from certain distributors. This ties them into expensive pricing. By taking advantage of retail offers, they can save a few quid. It's up to them whether or not they pass that pricing onto the punter.

The publican may be breaking arrangements with his distributor by selling products sourced elsewhere, but it's not illegal.

Very interesting... having an interesting debate with the manager of a large and popular venue in Dublin about prices and how to cut corners. He said it was illegal and I took the word, will be good to go back to him with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The euro shops do this too though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Definately NOT illegal.

The manufacturer can mark whatever they like on the stock and it not worth the ink its printed with.

I am currently selling 6 pks of evian 2l marked not for multipack sale.

Its none of their business.

Advertisement