Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

husky and new baby

• 12-12-2011 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

i have a husky pup she is stunning :D but veery attached to me i mean she will follow me every where toilet even if i sit she wants to be on my lap she eeven sleeps withone eye open to watch me when i go to bed she will try follow me i close the door and tell her its night time but she will winge out side the door till she falls asleep

she is getting to scoclise with other pepole as my husband and 3 kids r in the house to but she has no intrest in them at all when im not in the room but they r she will compleaty ignore then and sleep no matter how much they try play ect

she wont even eat her food unless i give it to her

what has me worried is im pregnant and worried my dog wont take to the new baby ill obviously have time for her ass she is like my child but even if im in the room and my hubby r kids r beside me she will winge if they r to close to me r nudge them away fomr me

any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Wow uve got a lot on your plate there! I've no advice for you but, husky pups at hard work. I have a 13 week old now and she is the was the same with trying to climb on me. It just took alot of persistence. But when I'm driving, when i stop at traffic lights she will try, it just takes alot of doing the same thing over and over. Like a kid!

As for the new baby, I dunno. I walk the dog and my niece at the same time. Shes only 1 and the pup loves here. They are always tryin to play with each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ann26

IK09 wrote: »
    Wow uve got a lot on your plate there! I've no advice for you but, husky pups at hard work. I have a 13 week old now and she is the was the same with trying to climb on me. It just took alot of persistence. But when I'm driving, when i stop at traffic lights she will try, it just takes alot of doing the same thing over and over. Like a kid!

As for the new baby, I dunno. I walk the dog and my niece at the same time. Shes only 1 and the pup loves here. They are always tryin to play with each other!

id say she will be fine with the baby once she know they boundrys like....she is fine with my other 3 if im not their but if im around no one eles matters to her

ill just have to incourporait the baby and dog :) in to all i do so they get along fantastic dogs tho very clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

OP, there have been quite a few threads about this over the past while. I was able to find one here.

Also, I'd suggest firing off a PM to TooManyDogs who has six dogs and a baby and all are living quite happy and contentedly together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

LucyBliss wrote: »
    OP, there have been quite a few threads about this over the past while. I was able to find one here.

Also, I'd suggest firing off a PM to TooManyDogs who has six dogs and a baby and all are living quite happy and contentedly together!

Will gladly answer a pm, I'd say everyone here is tired of hearing about my motley crew :D

Latest is my little girl shoved her finger up Púca's bum, and if that wasn't bad enough she then sucked them before I could wash her hands :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I'm not tired of hearing about it, I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Latest is my little girl shoved her finger up Púca's bum, and if that wasn't bad enough she then sucked them before I could wash her hands :eek:

Oh that made me laugh and feel a bit sick at the same time!! Mmmm tasty!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh my god that is gross!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

ann26 wrote: »

husky veery attached

she wants to be on my lap

she will winge out side the door till she falls asleep

what has me worried is im pregnant and worried my dog wont take to the new baby ill obviously have time for her ass she is like my child but even if im in the room and my hubby r kids r beside me she will winge if they r to close to me r nudge them away fomr me

I'm sure TMD is sorting you out but here's my tuppence....

Regardless of breed dogs as group loving animals can get very attached to that which gives them the most attention, and this can lead to attention seeking, sulking, tantrums (barking, whining, go off her food in front of you, push others away that try to get attention from you), all sorts of stuff.

It won't be the dogs reaction to the baby that a trainer will be concerned about, they will welcome any new addition to the "group"....nearly said it.......it is your reaction to the dog around the baby. Also the dog can pick up on the extra stress in the house and that, together with her increased boredom and god forbid lack of attention, may cause her to challenge a bit, push that bit harder for her slice of the pie. I haven't seen this taken out on a baby but you see it a lot with that gobsh1te ignorant freak Caesar Milan where a new partner in the house is kept at bay by a ferocious lap dog, unused to sharing the love!! He recommends holding the dog by the scruff to get him to submit around the partner which adds insurmountably to the problem when Mummys not around!

Anyway this is all taken as the dog not liking the baby / new partner.

While the old "dominance" thing is tarred with a very sticky brush (dogs don't live in packs they live in groups, is a doozy) you could look at this as you would a really spoilt kid! Time to start thinking like super nanny!

You need to wean her off you a bit like you would an over attached child, and bring in some boundaries to get her to chill out. Boundaries that are reinforced with discipline (not the Caesar variety) and consistency. She'll be so much happier and relaxed as a result, not as a result of her "decrease in dominance" just because she will be taught there's no need for that behaviour. I am the youngest of 5 boys, spoilt rotten initially so I remember that lesson!!

Keep her off your lap for awhile, it's a bit of a protective position which is unneccessary and can instil funny ideas, especially while she is acting up.

She doesn't need to follow you to the toilet or bedroom. These are your spaces. You will need to wean her off this action though, slowly slowly catchy monkey, so close door for 2 seconds, come back in and treat (sausage). Then close door for 5 seconds, 10...etc.

She needs to have her space where she can settle / you can put her when things get hairy with the baby. This is really important as a dog around your feet is not only dangerous but you will give her a lot of negative shoves and commands to move her. Get a piece of carpet (that looks different to the one already there), put it in a nice warm spot with a great view of the room. Teach her to sit and wait on her mat. Never put her here as a punishment or in anger, it's not a naughty step. It should be a happy place. Teach her sit and wait with sausages while you are watchin a dvd. It will take you a good while the first few times (as soon as she gets us say "Felix NO" firm but fair, bring her back to her mat, ask her to sit, then immediately "Good Girl!" and a big fuss but no treat (or she'll break the command just to get another one!!).

Ignore her nose butts for attention and instruct others to do the same. This is the dog shouting for what it wants. Tell her no once. If and when she repeats calmly put her on the other side of whatever door you are on. Never any need for a cross word. This separation is the biggest and most telling punishment for a dog. Leave her there for 20 seconds / minutes (likely the latter initially) throwin a fit. When she calms open the door, ask her to sit with a "good girl!" and friendly face then bring her back in. She may repeat her nose butts once, maybe twice, never a third. Here you are giving her the complete opposite to what she wants, instead of attention you have removed her. Dogs are smart. She'll be thinking "That's not what I mean at all!!" and the behaviour will diminish.
    Instead call her to you on your terms then ask her to sit on her mat and get others to practice this also.

Remember don't stress. Calmness and consistency.

Damn I always go on. It's like an illness. All trainers are the same!

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ann26

DogsFirst wrote: »
    I'm sure TMD is sorting you out but here's my tuppence....

Regardless of breed dogs as group loving animals can get very attached to that which gives them the most attention, and this can lead to attention seeking, sulking, tantrums (barking, whining, go off her food in front of you, push others away that try to get attention from you), all sorts of stuff.

It won't be the dogs reaction to the baby that a trainer will be concerned about, they will welcome any new addition to the "group"....nearly said it.......it is your reaction to the dog around the baby. Also the dog can pick up on the extra stress in the house and that, together with her increased boredom and god forbid lack of attention, may cause her to challenge a bit, push that bit harder for her slice of the pie. I haven't seen this taken out on a baby but you see it a lot with that gobsh1te ignorant freak Caesar Milan where a new partner in the house is kept at bay by a ferocious lap dog, unused to sharing the love!! He recommends holding the dog by the scruff to get him to submit around the partner which adds insurmountably to the problem when Mummys not around!

Anyway this is all taken as the dog not liking the baby / new partner.

While the old "dominance" thing is tarred with a very sticky brush (dogs don't live in packs they live in groups, is a doozy) you could look at this as you would a really spoilt kid! Time to start thinking like super nanny!

You need to wean her off you a bit like you would an over attached child, and bring in some boundaries to get her to chill out. Boundaries that are reinforced with discipline (not the Caesar variety) and consistency. She'll be so much happier and relaxed as a result, not as a result of her "decrease in dominance" just because she will be taught there's no need for that behaviour. I am the youngest of 5 boys, spoilt rotten initially so I remember that lesson!!

Keep her off your lap for awhile, it's a bit of a protective position which is unneccessary and can instil funny ideas, especially while she is acting up.

She doesn't need to follow you to the toilet or bedroom. These are your spaces. You will need to wean her off this action though, slowly slowly catchy monkey, so close door for 2 seconds, come back in and treat (sausage). Then close door for 5 seconds, 10...etc.

She needs to have her space where she can settle / you can put her when things get hairy with the baby. This is really important as a dog around your feet is not only dangerous but you will give her a lot of negative shoves and commands to move her. Get a piece of carpet (that looks different to the one already there), put it in a nice warm spot with a great view of the room. Teach her to sit and wait on her mat. Never put her here as a punishment or in anger, it's not a naughty step. It should be a happy place. Teach her sit and wait with sausages while you are watchin a dvd. It will take you a good while the first few times (as soon as she gets us say "Felix NO" firm but fair, bring her back to her mat, ask her to sit, then immediately "Good Girl!" and a big fuss but no treat (or she'll break the command just to get another one!!).

Ignore her nose butts for attention and instruct others to do the same. This is the dog shouting for what it wants. Tell her no once. If and when she repeats calmly put her on the other side of whatever door you are on. Never any need for a cross word. This separation is the biggest and most telling punishment for a dog. Leave her there for 20 seconds / minutes (likely the latter initially) throwin a fit. When she calms open the door, ask her to sit with a "good girl!" and friendly face then bring her back in. She may repeat her nose butts once, maybe twice, never a third. Here you are giving her the complete opposite to what she wants, instead of attention you have removed her. Dogs are smart. She'll be thinking "That's not what I mean at all!!" and the behaviour will diminish.
    Instead call her to you on your terms then ask her to sit on her mat and get others to practice this also.

Remember don't stress. Calmness and consistency.

Damn I always go on. It's like an illness. All trainers are the same!

Best of luck.
    thanks very mch for your reply :D i have already started to put you advice to use

Advertisement