Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

In London the Met Police have been using Hyundai i30s for a couple of years and have recently bought new ones. It must be suitable for police work.

Not going by what a lot of them say on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Might be better than yer avenais foreign;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

any example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Thats what I thought. Really clever thinking isn't it!

Talk about stupidity - so one arm of the state (Gardaí) pay another arm of the state (revenue - I assume) VRT.

States not really gaining anything - except that valuable funds from the Garda budget go to revenue :rolleyes:.

And with no benefit to the state :rolleyes: - since the state is having to fund the garda cars - and that includes VRT.

I suppose it does answer a question I had in my mind - could you get the great deals I hear about that UK police get on BMWs - over here for BMW garda cars.

I guess that if VRT is being charged - the answer is no :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Regarding any 'good' cars such as BMW's etc there'd 1) Be a media outcry over the cost, no matter how much discount was got 2) Managment might look at the accident stats for state vehicles and say that there's nobody fit in the force to be let drive good cars :eek: 3) Maintainence/repair costs for Skoda's/Hyundai's might be 50% less than BMW's so the bean counters get their way 4) IF there are good drivers out there, they'll get their target no matter what they're driving ( Murphy's law - if there's an Evo VII to be chased on the M50, the BMW 535 might be on the M9, are they to station BMW's in every division / station :rolleyes: )

There's a few Superbs / Estates in unmarked use for at least 1 year now, parked around Hatch/ Harcourt st's sometimes.

Maybe the UK Skoda got an exemption to be here - anyway, WHO'S going to object or pull it, it'll always be assumed it's got the go-ahead to be here :rolleyes:

Capri wrote: »
    Regarding any 'good' cars such as BMW's etc there'd 1) Be a media outcry over the cost, no matter how much discount was got 2) Managment might look at the accident stats for state vehicles and say that there's nobody fit in the force to be let drive good cars :eek: 3) Maintainence/repair costs for Skoda's/Hyundai's might be 50% less than BMW's so the bean counters get their way 4) IF there are good drivers out there, they'll get their target no matter what they're driving ( Murphy's law - if there's an Evo VII to be chased on the M50, the BMW 535 might be on the M9, are they to station BMW's in every division / station :rolleyes: )

There's a few Superbs / Estates in unmarked use for at least 1 year now, parked around Hatch/ Harcourt st's sometimes.

Maybe the UK Skoda got an exemption to be here - anyway, WHO'S going to object or pull it, it'll always be assumed it's got the go-ahead to be here :rolleyes:

Writing off a BMW (imo) is no different to writing off a Mondeo - the results the same. And bear in mind while - everyone thinks of big 530ds when they think of BMW police cars (due to the Uk police using said 530ds for traffic) - BMW have more cars in their range then simply 530ds.

You have the option of stuff like 320d or 520ds for example - for normal non traffic type work.

And leaving aside BMWs for a moment - there really isn't justification for a 1.6 tdci Focus for traffic corps use.

Even if you have to stay mainstream - there are other options available - Ford themselves offer stuff like the 1.6 ecoboost 180 ps turbocharged petrol.

Skoda do the VRS as mentioned and even something like a 170 tdi yeti can move a bit - and would have 4wd.

Yeah I know the Yeti isn't the first car to spring to mind as a Garda car - but I would say that on paper it could have potential.

Boots probably a bit small though - compared to the Focus estate.

And if Mazda have finally figured out how to make a diesel engine that doesn't break every 80,000 miles* - then the new 6 is a potential option too.

*the later 2.2 is supposed to be better then the original 2.0 commonrail turbodiesel - and im told the 2.2 on the new 6 is a completely new engine anyway. Could take one on trial - work it hard and see how it gets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Old diesel wrote: »
    Writing off a BMW (imo) is no different to writing off a Mondeo - the results the same. And bear in mind while - everyone thinks of big 530ds when they think of BMW police cars (due to the Uk police using said 530ds for traffic) - BMW have more cars in their range then simply 530ds.

You have the option of stuff like 320d or 520ds for example - for normal non traffic type work.

And leaving aside BMWs for a moment - there really isn't justification for a 1.6 tdci Focus for traffic corps use.

Even if you have to stay mainstream - there are other options available - Ford themselves offer stuff like the 1.6 ecoboost 180 ps turbocharged petrol.

Skoda do the VRS as mentioned and even something like a 170 tdi yeti can move a bit - and would have 4wd.

Yeah I know the Yeti isn't the first car to spring to mind as a Garda car - but I would say that on paper it could have potential.

Boots probably a bit small though - compared to the Focus estate.

And if Mazda have finally figured out how to make a diesel engine that doesn't break every 80,000 miles* - then the new 6 is a potential option too.

*the later 2.2 is supposed to be better then the original 2.0 commonrail turbodiesel - and im told the 2.2 on the new 6 is a completely new engine anyway. Could take one on trial - work it hard and see how it gets on.

Re: the Mazda you could say the same about the 2.0l diesel bmws too, known to be very troublesome.

Are the new 2.2 Mondeos the 175bhp or 200bhp ? Think i saw one the other day down by the criminal courts, the drl led's made it look different to the others.

saw one of the new 2.2 mondeo petrol estate there tonight at checkpoint, light package is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Re: the Mazda you could say the same about the 2.0l diesel bmws too, known to be very troublesome.

Are the new 2.2 Mondeos the 175bhp or 200bhp ? Think i saw one the other day down by the criminal courts, the drl led's made it look different to the others.

198 bhp. Nice bus but could do with a little more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

sorry now but can someone tell me what 'drl' stands for plz? thnks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

D Trent wrote: »

Daytime Running Lights, turn on automatically when the engine is switched on

Hooch wrote: »

Sounds sweet, replacing the 3.0l Mondeo's I imagine ?
    D Trent wrote: »

As said above Daytime Running Lamps, lost of new cars these days have them, there kind of an extra with some cars like the way front fogs are. Some are just standard halogen lights while others are bright white/blue LED's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Sounds sweet, replacing the 3.0l Mondeo's I imagine ?

As said above Daytime Running Lamps, lost of new cars these days have them, there kind of an extra with some cars like the way front fogs are. Some are just standard halogen lights while others are bright white/blue LED's.

Any pic as an example ?

any example?

Not without going through months of tweets of people I follow but have seen plenty of criticism of them.

Not without going through months of tweets of people I follow but have seen plenty of criticism of them.

Then I do not believe that they are worse than the Astra which they replace.

• Advertisement

Then I do not believe that they are worse than the Astra which they replace.

Haven't heard criticism of them but not saying there isn't any. Could it be because they were the diesel models?

Hooch wrote: »

Hooch I think you would prefer this :p

Haven't heard criticism of them but not saying there isn't any. Could it be because they were the diesel models?

They seemed universally disliked by those I know who were driving them. I believe that there was disappointment at the introduction of Hyundai but once people got behind the wheel they realised that their prejudices were unfounded.

Humberside Police were using Protons which, from an image perspective, make Hyundais seem like pure luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Something about the Focus ST demo model
    Developed and engineered at Ford Special Vehicle Preparations (SVP) in Earls Colne, Essex, and equipped as a compact traffic car, it meets the latest National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA) standards for fast response vehicles inside and out. The light bar on the roof is all-LED, and the dashboard is fitted with a mobile data terminal (MDT) and screen to illustrate the Focus ST’s versatility for multi-role police use

Cutbacks ?
    http://www.npia.police.uk/

The NPIA was closed on 7 October 2013
    The functions have transferred to successor bodies

US recommendations (despite Hendon title )

http://www.hendonpub.com/pvdc/guidelines

http://www.hendonpub.com/police_fleet_manager

Hubcaps on a Titanium model Ford that probably cost nearly 35 grand (ford dont even advertise the 2.2) ? Bit unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I thought as much myself imo hubcaps spoil the car esp if one goes missing which is an all too common sight on a garda car. The 1.6 focus estates that are on the run now, have alloy wheels as opposed to hubcaps. what's that about

Capri wrote: »
    Something about the Focus ST demo model

Cutbacks ?

US recommendations (despite Hendon title )

http://www.hendonpub.com/pvdc/guidelines

http://www.hendonpub.com/police_fleet_manager

Still don't get why Focus ST estates are completely off the agenda if they can be bough fully kitted out :(

Hubcaps on a Titanium model Ford that probably cost nearly 35 grand (ford dont even advertise the 2.2) ? Bit unusual.

They took them off in the depot they come with alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

NAS mondeo's kept there alloys. Personally would chose steel wheels for safety (alloys crack?) but also for the mobile tyre fitters for when a tyre blows on the road alot easier to change a steel rim.

http://youtu.be/1pKn1StN4B8

http://youtu.be/h_AoJ7MZQSs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Cheaper to replace a steel rim too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

That was a seriously bad crash. I hope noone was in the van at the time? That's 3 newish vehicles i'v seen crashed in the last few months..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jamesr123 wrote: »
    That was a seriously bad crash. I hope noone was in the van at the time? That's 3 newish vehicles i'v seen crashed in the last few months..
    What the hell happened ? More importantly are the members ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Have I missed something here? What crash?

Zambia wrote: »

suprised a crash like that wasnt on the news??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Have I missed something here? What crash?

Look at the latest post in the gallery

• Advertisement

suprised a crash like that wasnt on the news??

Well it never made the Australian news :-)

This still shocks me from couple years ago RSU xc70 & PO van in RTC on south link

Even looking at this gives me awful feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

POGAN wrote: »
    This still shocks me from couple years ago RSU xc70 & PO van in RTC on south link

Even looking at this gives me awful feeling

It could have been a lot worse, imagine if it had been a Mondeo instead of a Volvo.

kub wrote: »
    It could have been a lot worse, imagine if it had been a Mondeo instead of a Volvo.

Fell sorry for the lads in the PO unit

Zambia wrote: »

Your average Garda is a very robust sort. Could walk away from a crash like that with no issues at all.

Your average Garda is a very robust sort. Could walk away from a crash like that with no issues at all.

Seriously? We're not superhuman. We suffer the same consequences because of collisions and some members never return to the front line and have even lost their lives in collisions.

Completely stupid post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

foreign wrote: »
    Seriously? We're not superhuman. We suffer the same consequences because of collisions and some members never return to the front line and have even lost their lives in collisions.

Completely stupid post.

I can think of four straight off.

Completely stupid post.

What I mean is that the same sort of event which will have your average man in the street out of work for six weeks on stress leave, wearing a surgical collar or have them renouncing driving is bread and butter to your average Garda.

I'd reckon that by the looks of that damage, the Garda has put the Connect between the scum and where he has wanted to go. Post impact he'll have been more worried about arresting the bastard than a bit of whiplash that most people would put in a €10k claim for.

What I mean is that the same sort of event which will have your average man in the street out of work for six weeks on stress leave, wearing a surgical collar or have them renouncing driving is bread and butter to your average Garda.

I'd reckon that by the looks of that damage, the Garda has put the Connect between the scum and where he has wanted to go. Post impact he'll have been more worried about arresting the bastard than a bit of whiplash that most people would put in a €10k claim for.

Jaysus!! Major cringe reading that ****e... no one seems to know what happened to that van why jump to such a stupid conclusion? and I guarantee a claim will be put in.....

• Advertisement

Is it me - or did that connect not hold up to the side impact at all well.

Wouldn't have liked to be sat in the drivers seat of that at all.

Gardaí are only human at the end of the day - but they do a tough job that most of their critics wouldn't do if you
    paid them 500 k a year

Jaysus!! Major cringe reading that ****e... no one seems to know what happened to that van why jump to such a stupid conclusion? and I guarantee a claim will be put in.....

Someone broke a red light went into the side of it

POGAN wrote: »
    Someone broke a red light went into the side of it

So not the heroic bull**** that 'terrontress' was on about.. Hopefully the members are ok. If it was me i'd be claiming that persons insurance. Of all the things to crash into a van with high vis stickers and lights on top lol..

So not the heroic bull**** that 'terrontress' was on about.. Hopefully the members are ok. If it was me i'd be claiming that persons insurance. Of all the things to crash into a van with high vis stickers and lights on top lol..

I have to say, I am very uncomfortable with Gardai claiming personal injury compensation off people for what happens while on duty.

Oh this won't end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I have to say, I am very uncomfortable with Gardai claiming personal injury compensation off people for what happens while on duty.

Indeed, they get paid enough as it is, how dare they seek compensation for being shot, beaten, stabbed, spat at, had boiling cooking oil thrown at while on duty.
    Sure an ordinary member of the public is at the exact same risk every day and would never seek compensation if such a thing were to happen to them.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Indeed, they get paid enough as it is, how dare they seek compensation for being shot, beaten, stabbed, spat at, had boiling cooking oil thrown at while on duty.
    Sure an ordinary member of the public is at the exact same risk every day and would never seek compensation if such a thing were to happen to them.

:rolleyes:
    Out of interest why would you claim for being spat at. Genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

lighterman wrote: »
    Out of interest why would you claim for being spat at. Genuine question

I would imagine because it's assault? Wouldn't a member of the public try and sue a member of the Gardaí if they spat at them?

Or, should Gardaí be expected to be spat at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

swiftblade wrote: »
    I would imagine because it's assault? Wouldn't a member of the public try and sue a member of the Gardaí if they spat at them?

Or, should Gardaí be expected to be spat at?

No they shouldnt as yes as you stated it is assault but neither do i expect it as a security guard.

Maybe you should talk to the guards who advised me and talked me out of pressing charges against a man with Hepatitis C who spat in my face which got in to my mouth.I was told it wouldnt be worth it as it was only a i believe told a section 3 assault and wouldnt be worth the time bringing him to court.

I asked would the fact he knowingly had Hep C and the fact i had to do the 3 month tests to get the all clear which i did and i was told no.

So is it a different law for guards and the general public.

(Careful stepping down off that horse)

And how do you know the Garda in that collision has not/is not out for the same time or longer? We still get injured the same as anybody else. The job gives us legal powers, not super powers.

Why shouldn't they? They are down earnings, have the same medical fees and traumas as everybody else.

And how do you know the Garda in that collision has not/is not out for the same time or longer? We still get injured the same as anybody else. The job gives us legal powers, not super powers.

Why shouldn't they? They are down earnings, have the same medical fees and traumas as everybody else.

I think that the GS should compensate them and, if appropriate, pursue the liable party.

• Advertisement
Advertisement