Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

kub wrote: »
    Well don't the Hyundai's look good compared with the look of those yolks. I suppose though having said that, they do remind me of those Lada cars that arrived here in the late 80's. It seemed that they had very long lives, I wonder will those Dacia's be the same?

The Lada was the 1966 Fiat 124 but modified for Russian roads, the Lada's seem to go on for ever compared with the rust plagued Fiats.

The Army had a flirtration with Romanian Aro's back in the 80's, don't see any around the country now.

File:Romania_stamp_-_1975_-_55B_-_ARO_240.jpg

Those Dacias are sold as Nissan Terranos in India so if AGS said they were buying Nissans instead of Dacias would the reaction be as negative :confused:

Further to my Dacia Duster post, I wonder if AGS considered the Skoda Yeti as a suitable 2/4WD vehicle http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/yeti/84836/2014-skoda-yeti-4x4-review?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

On another topic, vehicle 'battenberg' markings, are they any more effective than reflective 'POLICE / GARDA' lettering would be on a plain white car ,they must cost a few bob compared with just a few reflective letters :confused:

6143860453_cf62740478_n.jpg

vesti-skoda%20yeti.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Capri wrote: »
    Further to my Dacia Duster post, I wonder if AGS considered the Skoda Yeti as a suitable 2/4WD vehicle http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/yeti/84836/2014-skoda-yeti-4x4-review?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

On another topic, vehicle 'battenberg' markings, are they any more effective than reflective 'POLICE / GARDA' lettering would be on a plain white car ,they must cost a few bob compared with just a few reflective letters :confused:

vesti-skoda%20yeti.jpg

They are on the small side as a 4 x 4 - but as a standard regular patrol car - theyd have potential I think - as say a 170 tdi 4 x 4 - or even the 1.8 tsi with 4 x 4.

Boot may be a little small though - but they have a reputation for handling very well from what ive heard.

Not a bad choice I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

They look horrible.

Wheres my Hyundais :o . . . Especially the Santa fee 4x4 :D

vesti-skoda%20yeti.jpg

It was up in the depot last year for testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

RSU need new cars they might do great deal for the AGS possible

foreign wrote: »
    It was up in the depot last year for testing.

Would love to spend a day in the mind of someone who takes something like a Skoda Yeti 170 tdi 4 x 4 on test.

And then decides - I know - lets buy 1.7 Hyundai i40s:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Old diesel wrote: »
    Would love to spend a day in the mind of someone who takes something like a Skoda Yeti 170 tdi 4 x 4 on test.

The testers make the recommendations, the bean counters make the final decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

source wrote: »
    The testers make the recommendations, the bean counters make the final decision.

It depends how the weighting process was formulated. What weighting did cost have over other characteristics.

A 4x4 would require members to undergo the 4x4 course. Won't work for those on chiefs or who have the standard car course done.

This is the one that was doing the rounds.

8077179524_828e110c8e_m.jpg

A 4x4 would require members to undergo the 4x4 course. Won't work for those on chiefs or who have the standard car course done.

No worries - I would have thought if a 4 x 4 course would have to be done - it would be for a Land Cruiser type machine.

Yeti is basically a normal car with the 4 x 4 type look - and with 4 wheel drive on some versions.

How do the powers that be define when a 4 x 4 course needs to be done.

For example - would you need to do a 4 x 4 course to drive an Audi A4 saloon with Quattro.

I realise obviously that if the latter was been used in traffic youd need training for that obviously - but is the 4 x 4 course needed simply because its 4 wheel drive :confused:.

I can see the logic behind it in that the car will handle differently on account of it been 4 wheel drive rather then 2 wheel drive.

Just courious as to how you can drive a car with 2 wheel drive with no training whatsowever - but its necessary to be special 4 x 4 training in the same model of car when its 4 x 4.

Would an untrained driver be safer (I wonder) in say an Audi A4 with Quattro rather then a 2 wheel drive Avensis.

Not having a go - just wondering out of couriousity

Bilko, that Volvo has a decorative star in the rear window so probably not a patrol car.

Bilko, that Volvo has a decorative star in the rear window so probably not a patrol car.

Looks like an old picture, the Vectras must have been pensioned off by now :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Looks like an old picture, the Vectras must have been pensioned off by now :confused:

They are not Traffic in Cork city still have one. I cannot make out the sign in the background but
    that place looks like the N71 westbound, ie Cork to Bandon before the Ballinhassig turn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Still plenty of vectras about some 05 to 07. Seen some yesterday and another today both traffic and regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Re: carzony post yet it will still get repaired at a higher cost than it would to purchase a new car considering the mileage that would be on that ('08 focus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Re: carzony post yet it will still get repaired at a higher cost than it would to purchase a new car considering the mileage that would be on that ('08 focus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

that's a 10 focus. don't see many of them that shape in an estate version..

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    They are not Traffic in Cork city still have one. I cannot make out the sign in the background but
    that place looks like the N71 westbound, ie Cork to Bandon before the Ballinhassig turn off.

Cork traffic have one on the road even anpr still in it so bit mileage in here even tho they got two new mondeos last couple months

It's was near ballinhassig alrite

carzony wrote: »

There only one 10 marked focus estate purchased in 2010 station in DMR

Nothing writing off in the Gardas anymore everything is repairable even when the cost out ways the value of the car

POGAN wrote: »

Nothing writing off in the Gardas anymore everything is repairable even when the cost out ways the value of the car

I personally think the way forward - is for the maintenance budget - to be changed - so it could also be used to buy some cars.

put 12 grand into cars with 250,000 miles - and you are a long way towards the cost of a new car with 300,000 kms life left in it.

Do it really cleverly - and someone could "accidentally" buy decent a traffic car to replace the 2011 Avensis traffic corps car with 280,000 miles on the clock

I mean yes commissioner - the Audi A4 Quattro Estate really was the only car we could get in on short notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Consy90

Any sign of anything new out on the roads yet, or pic of the fiat in cork?

Consy90 wrote: »
    Any sign of anything new out on the roads yet, or pic of the fiat in cork?

No pictures yet of nothing new. Il try get photo of the van it's like the new PO van in DMR great light package

And that must have been it so? :o:o

It was one of the trial cars befor we went with the Avensis.

It was one of the trial cars befor we went with the Avensis.

would they have been better than the avensis? I drove a 1.6 turbo diesel focus a few weeks ago and thought it was a nice little drive.. not very reliable though..

would they have been better than the avensis? I drove a 1.6 turbo diesel focus a few weeks ago and thought it was a nice little drive.. not very reliable though..

Yes they would have been the better buy

Yes they would have been the better buy

Was there any reason why the petrol Avensis was not chosen, even for the regular units ? Probably cheaper per unit compared to diesel, more reliable, less expensive to maintain no worries of DPF, DMF.

Diesels are only cheaper to run when they are driven and looked after properly and many of the diesels I see been driven are drove as if they were petrols i.e engine screaming. Which is a bit pointless as their power range is different to that of a petrol.

Also regarding the 1.6 focus's, it would be a hard one to call imo, those peugeot/citroen engines are known to be very troublesome.

• Advertisement

http://youtu.be/jUs7yglqd_Y

nice shots of cork city traffic corp mondeo 2,0 and 2,2 mondeo estate

Was there any reason why the petrol Avensis was not chosen, even for the regular units ? Probably cheaper per unit compared to diesel, more reliable, less expensive to maintain no worries of DPF, DMF.

Diesels are only cheaper to run when they are driven and looked after properly and many of the diesels I see been driven are drove as if they were petrols i.e engine screaming. Which is a bit pointless as their power range is different to that of a petrol.

Also regarding the 1.6 focus's, it would be a hard one to call imo, those peugeot/citroen engines are known to be very troublesome.

unmarked cars are 1.6 petrol mostly along with pearse street marked traffic car is petrol 1.6 estate.

all goes down to money

While the 1.6 PSA engine has had a reputation for been troublesome - some of this is down (imo) to the sheer volume of cars it was fitted to.

Its been used in Volvo S40, BMW MINI, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Peugeot 307, 407, 308, 508 Citroens - Berlingo Van (and Pug Partner), C4, C5, and others i probably can't think off.

The fact that the Focus uses it accounts for a huge amount of them on its own given how popular Focuses are.

They aren't the best engine ever made tbh - but the Internet probably makes them sound worse then they are in reality

While the 1.6 PSA engine has had a reputation for been troublesome - some of this is down (imo) to the sheer volume of cars it was fitted to.

Its been used in Volvo S40, BMW MINI, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Peugeot 307, 407, 308, 508 Citroens - Berlingo Van (and Pug Partner), C4, C5, and others i probably can't think off.

The fact that the Focus uses it accounts for a huge amount of them on its own given how popular Focuses are.

They aren't the best engine ever made tbh - but the Internet probably makes them sound worse then they are in reality

I still wouldn't have specced that engine for Garda cars though tbh.

Do Ford do the 2.0 PSA engines used in Mondeos - on the Focus estate in right hand drive.

That would have been a much better option in the Focus estate if available - even if they had to be special order.

Which is something that should be possible to do - i recall that the army bought Nissan Patrols at one stage at a time - mid 90s if i recall - when Nissan had stopped offering Patrols to the general public - this been at around the time they bought out the Terrano over here.

Think the fact theres a 1.6 diesel Focus on traffic says it all really :rolleyes: about the attitude of garda management towards the vehicle fleet.

Speaking of 1.6 Focuses - another option to consider would be the 180 ps Ecoboost petrol engine.

Could have been a nice option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

@ POGAN

that's the laois/offaly NAS rrv, so probably not cork police motors.

Happy & safe Christmas to all ES personnel & their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BC1987

@EIREGUN:

In your picture of the M1 Motorway Checkpoint, you point out the Trooper. There is a marked Traffic trooper in the DMR Blanch afaik. Also, is the white focus in front of the motor signage truck an official vehicle?

BC1987 wrote: »
    @EIREGUN:

In your picture of the M1 Motorway Checkpoint, you point out the Trooper. There is a marked Traffic trooper in the DMR Blanch afaik. Also, is the white focus in front of the motor signage truck an official vehicle?

Trooper???? :eek:

latest plate ive ever seen on an Isuzu trooper in Ireland was an early 05 plate - 04 seems to have been the last year Troopers seemed to have been sold here.

What mileage limits are on the jeeps???? :(

latest plate ive ever seen on an Isuzu trooper in Ireland was an early 05 plate - 04 seems to have been the last year Troopers seemed to have been sold here.

More than the cars. They aren't used the same way, no hard response driving. Same with vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭EireGun

BC1987 wrote: »
    @EIREGUN:

Yes, I've seen the marked Traffic Corps Trooper(s) before come to think of it, didn't know they were still in use. 05 plate I think.
    I'm not sure about the white Ford Focus, caught my attention too, but could have been from another agency besides AGS. Not much point in having a white 'unmarked' Focus, would stick out like a sore thumb!

• Advertisement

Seen a white unmarked Mondeo before also based out of Blanch. Haven't seen it in donkeys either crashed, marked up or retired I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

TC in Galway (Oranmore) still use a Trooper. I think it's an 03 plate (not 100% on this). It looks like such a heap at this stage I don't know how its still allowed on the road.

ratracer wrote: »
    TC in Galway (Oranmore) still use a Trooper. I think it's an 03 plate (not 100% on this). It looks like such a heap at this stage I don't know how its still allowed on the road.

I know I shouldn't have been surprised :rolleyes: but I was just amazed that they still had Troopers given that the newest Trooper is 8 years old (reg plate) at this stage.

What engine is in garda Troopers - if its the 3.0 diesel - im even more amazed since a lot of those 3 litre Troopers gave bother in normal civilian service.

Never mind garda service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There's a marked up trooper thats parked in Croke Park on match days, not a clue what station its from.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robo10

Tramore garda have a white unmarked mondeo 2007 you would spot it a mile away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd say the 120bhp 1.6 diesel is plenty fast in the connect, I've driven the Parter version and it's a quick little van.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    There's a marked up trooper thats parked in Croke Park on match days, not a clue what station its from.

Don't the Horse unit have one?

Don't the Horse unit have one?

Yep, but its not that one afaik. Horse unit parks in Clonliffe College, this is always parked either in the service tunnel below the Cusack or outside the Museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

You sure its not the '06 Terrano you're thinking of?? Was attached to Fitz street and used as the "sandwich van" on match days.

You sure its not the '06 Terrano you're thinking of?? Was attached to Fitz street and used as the "sandwich van" on match days.

100% sure, I'll take a snap of it if its there next time I'm in (could be a while....)

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I'd say the 120bhp 1.6 diesel is plenty fast in the connect, I've driven the Parter version and it's a quick little van.

The connect uses the Ford 1.8, not the french 1.6.

• Advertisement
Advertisement