Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

foreign wrote: »
    Nope. Still people on the old system.

You'd think during the 2000's when money was there to invest they'd train as many drivers as possible. Seems a huge amount aren't/weren't sent on these courses. :o

under 2L? So you couldn't drive the big transits or anything like that.

carzony wrote: »

under 2L? So you couldn't drive the big transits or anything like that.

You applied for the car or van. You'd only get the van if there was a very good case for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Two i30 tourers in Limerick, apart from the dash light you really wouldn't know they were unmarked patrol cars.

You applied for the car or van. You'd only get the van if there was a very good case for it.

Have to say seems very strict considering any fool with a full license or even provisional could drive a transit with no trouble.

I suppose, the garda transit may have to be driven quite fast though..

Tell me what do you need to drive a yaris or fiesta :P:P (joke)

Thick skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭kub

Have to say seems very strict considering any fool with a full license or even provisional could drive a transit with no trouble.

I suppose, the garda transit may have to be driven quite fast though..

I would like to see them parallel parking one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Has genuinely always amazed me how the chiefs permission has never bankrupted the state in claims. A person walks into the chiefs office as a regular license holder with the same training as the next paddy in the street and leaves bestowed with a piece of paper that imparts the same knowledge and expertise that should take 3 weeks to learn.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Has genuinely always amazed me how the chiefs permission has never bankrupted the state in claims. A person walks into the chiefs office as a regular license holder with the same training as the next paddy in the street and leaves bestowed with a piece of paper that imparts the same knowledge and expertise that should take 3 weeks to learn.

Well, even after the 3 weeks you are still driving on your own licence and can still be prosecuted/found responsible for incidents.

Just as well that the general fleet cars are just family saloons so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Well I'm on chief the last few years and haven't had as much as a near miss so I think your comment is a bit unfair.

Sometimes cars will get damaged because of driver error but others are the victims of other drivers and deliberate acts. What happens the car after purchase should not be a deciding factor in purchasing. It should be member safety, appropriateness for the role and performance.

Do we have a place for i30's? Yes. Is it for frontline responders? No.

-snip-.

when you say -snip-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is to be no release of internal Garda code or rules and regulations, as per charter.

This includes driving related discussion with regard to Chiefs permission or CPD driver training.

I have had to edit a few posts to remove certain material

No more discussion on Garda rules and regulations with regard to driving, that are not already in the public domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Why is it that AGS does not provide driver training for new recruits? Regardless of whether they hold a license or not. Surely it limits them in their duty if they cannot drive a vehicle. Also what is the bike situation? I believe they were testing BMWs and Kawasakis a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

redout wrote: »
    Why is it that AGS does not provide driver training for new recruits? Regardless of whether they hold a license or not. Surely it limits them in their duty if they cannot drive a vehicle.

Well for three reasons really;
    1. Cost
    2. Cost
    and
    3. Cost

Why is it that AGS does not provide driver training for new recruits? Regardless of whether they hold a license or not. Surely it limits them in their duty if they cannot drive a vehicle. Also what is the bike situation? I believe they were testing BMWs and Kawasakis a few months ago.

I'm open to correction, but I believe the new syllabus includes driver training, and all new applicants must have a full B licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

source wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I believe the new syllabus includes driver training, and all new applicants must have a full B licence.

Incorrect - no driving licence was required for recruitment this year.

It was only a proposal.

Well, even after the 3 weeks you are still driving on your own licence and can still be prosecuted/found responsible for incidents.

I know you still drive on your own license, but it's much the same as giving chiefs permission for the firearms ticket on the strength of you having a rifle at home. You either need a 3 week driving course or you don't.
    It's not a criticism of the people driving on chiefs permission, it's a reflection of successive governments and management that allowed this to continue. Irish solution to an irish problem.

Wrong on both accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Also what is the bike situation? I believe they were testing BMWs and Kawasakis a few months ago.

Supposed to be 35 Honda Deauvilles 700cc's coming next month......

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Consy90

May sound stupid but would it b possible for the state to bulk buy vehicles for state agency's. Seen a lot of new OPW jeeps on the road also irish water ways have new ford ranger jeeps and then the Esb have a lot of transits on the road.

Would it not make sense to include Garda vehicles in these orders ?

Not sure if I'm making sense :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

I believe they were testing BMWs and Kawasakis a few months ago.

Be nice to see some Concours on the streets, although I do still love the FJR?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satrow/8416660279/lightbox/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

infacteh wrote: »
    Supposed to be 35 Honda Deauvilles 700cc's coming next month......

I suppose its better than nothing though I think the Deauvilles are not powerful enough in fairness. Really hoped they were gonna go for the BMWs. There was 3/4 over in Joe Duffys about 3 months back all done up in the Garda livery going out for testing.
    Be nice to see some Concours on the streets, although I do still love the FJR?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satrow/8416660279/lightbox/

Aye, the FJR is a beaut and well capable.

Consy90 wrote: »
    May sound stupid but would it b possible for the state to bulk buy vehicles for state agency's. Seen a lot of new OPW jeeps on the road also irish water ways have new ford ranger jeeps and then the Esb have a lot of transits on the road.

Would it not make sense to include Garda vehicles in these orders ?

Not sure if I'm making sense :)

Economies of scale as they say in economics? That sort of organisation requires what those who do, just don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

to be fair the 680cc Deauvilles aren't bad bikes, ultra reliable machine. Not as quick as the Beamers but not a slouch either. Meant to be easy about town too.

My credibility in The Gardai always goes up a notch when i see guys like this in action: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y6rOhy4SNdEqMcK512VuA/videos

Thanks to the poster over on the picture thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

kub wrote: »
    My credibility in The Gardai always goes up a notch when i see guys like this in action: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y6rOhy4SNdEqMcK512VuA/videos

Thanks to the poster over on the picture thread.

I knew a few on this would like it ! Wait till you realise what bibing is !!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

NAS officers have unmarked versions of those Subaru AP cars. Beggars belief...

donvito99 wrote: »
    NAS officers have unmarked versions of those Subaru AP cars. Beggars belief...

In an ideal world id rather services like East Cork Rapid response and West Cork Rapid response get the cars.

However - if officers in NAS are managers - its not uncommon imo for managers to get company cars as part of their job.

I can see why though that it would be annoying - if the managers got the cars on the basis that they could use them for going to calls - but they don't actually go to calls.

That would be VERY annoying.

If they do go to calls regularly - then I have no issue with them getting a car for responding to those calls

Is taking 10 vehicles (that we can see, could be more, I suppose) off the road not a bit of a silly reaction to that event? Surely it'd have been better to get a little tent set up and a doctor inside to assess people?

• Advertisement

Is taking 10 vehicles (that we can see, could be more, I suppose) off the road not a bit of a silly reaction to that event? Surely it'd have been better to get a little tent set up and a doctor inside to assess people?

How effective would a tent be in dealing with possible chemical burns or breathing difficulties? And the fact we have no responding doctors other than ecrr and wcrr.

Also, why bother having multiple ambulances if they can't respond to a multiple casualty incident? Just leave the one go back and forth to the hospital.

And still six in hospital at the moment. So yes, a silly event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

With 25 casualties at first I'd say a major incident probably was called and a triage tent set up fairly quickly, personally I'd be thinking why only 10 vehicle's as opposed to 10 being overkill with it being an airborne chemical incident that there could have well been even more hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't that kind of the point of a major incident plan,
    As soon as you know you have a major incident you go with the plan,
    No point in finding out the kids should have been in hospital an hour ago but are still at the pool cos it's chaos...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Kub -
    Ever drive one ?

Long time ago, before better spec (?) Transits / Sprinters came along. The HiAce reminds me of these entry level Chinese cheapo commercials . The modern EU stuff has all the bells and whistles along with multiple configuration options and special build options :cool:

How effective would a tent be in dealing with possible chemical burns or breathing difficulties? And the fact we have no responding doctors other than ecrr and wcrr.

The having no responding doctors is an issue alright - but on the wider point - is there merit in what hes saying in having a doctor on scene assessing patients.

Getting back to the having no responding doctors aside from the Cork ones - i think this is something which definitely merits been addressed.

I understand that London has it set up with the air ambulance that the doctors are NHS funded (which would be like the HSE funding doctors over here).

This is possibly something that could be looked into here more.

Would be handy too - if the likes of GPs and local Nurses could be trained as pre hospital emergency responders - i always find the idea that an Ambulance crew could have to dash 40 mins to a scene - but theres a doctor in a surgery dealing with less urgent things* 10 mins down the road.

Obviously of course the best solutions is to resource the Ambulance service properly - but that's the sort of thing that might be considered as a back up to a PROPERLY RESOURCED Ambulance service

*i mean non life treatning stuff - like colds/sore troats etc

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    The having no responding doctors is an issue alright - but on the wider point - is there merit in what hes saying in having a doctor on scene assessing patients.

Getting back to the having no responding doctors aside from the Cork ones - i think this is something which definitely merits been addressed.

I understand that London has it set up with the air ambulance that the doctors are NHS funded (which would be like the HSE funding doctors over here).

This is possibly something that could be looked into here more.

Would be handy too - if the likes of GPs and local Nurses could be trained as pre hospital emergency responders - i always find the idea that an Ambulance crew could have to dash 40 mins to a scene - but theres a doctor in a surgery dealing with less urgent things* 10 mins down the road.

Obviously of course the best solutions is to resource the Ambulance service properly - but that's the sort of thing that might be considered as a back up to a PROPERLY RESOURCED Ambulance service

*i mean non life treatning stuff - like colds/sore troats etc

Think the ecrr and wcrr won a prize last year which will allow expansion.

Actually just watching An Hour to Save Your Life. The doctor response needs the right teams at hospitals to take over. Interesting stuff.

Think the ecrr and wcrr won a prize last year which will allow expansion.

Actually just watching An Hour to Save Your Life. The doctor response needs the right teams at hospitals to take over. Interesting stuff.

fair point on the expansion.

however - while the likes of Jason Van de Velde and Dr Hugh Doran - do amazing work.

I happen to personally think that's whats expected of them - is too much for a volunteer.

So i happen to think that this pre hospital doctor thing - is too good an idea to be simply voluntary - and that there should be funding for it.

I wonder if say you take the primary care centre idea - if a pre hospital doctor was a member of the team - would that work????

Goes without saying they need the training for pre hospital care - in fact part of the reason i think whats expected of pre hospital doctors as volunteers - is the colossal amount of training and skills they need simply for the pre hospital role - which is voluntary.

In Uk - i understand that pre hospital emergency medicine is getting to the point its a subspeciality in its own right.

The thinking behind that is pretty sound imo - but you can't have something that's almost a speciality in its own right - and expect it to be

Anyway - that's all for now - and apologies for the off topic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yesterday on local radio /media in Galway the politicians were looking or votes by highlighting the lack of patrol cars and paddy wagons in the Salthill district. Hey presto last night the tooth fairy from Garda HQ, or whoever, delivers a new marked Hyundai in the middle of the night to the station. According to local radio, the car had been earmarked for Dundrum but it has now ended up in Galway. Went by the station this morning to see if I could get a pic, but alas the much needed car was out on patrol. I'll keep an eye out in the next few days and see if I can get pics of it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

ratracer wrote: »
    Yesterday on local radio /media in Galway the politicians were looking or votes by highlighting the lack of patrol cars and paddy wagons in the Salthill district. Hey presto last night the tooth fairy from Garda HQ, or whoever, delivers a new marked Hyundai in the middle of the night to the station. According to local radio, the car had been earmarked for Dundrum but it has now ended up in Galway. Went by the station this morning to see if I could get a pic, but alas the much needed car was out on patrol. I'll keep an eye out in the next few days and see if I can get pics of it up here.

There good few ready to go depot they will be a lot out for paddys day parades show the public they look nice marked in regular markings the ones I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

If anyone gets a pic of a marked Hyundai please dont forget to post it up here :D !!

• Advertisement

can't believe it's taken so long to capture one...

can't believe it's taken so long to capture one...

There only marking them up in last two weeks all unmarked since start of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

In his best David Attenborough voice..

"And meanwhile, in the depths of the Phoenix Park rainforest, dedicated researchers crouch in their camouflaged hides, zoom lenses at the ready, eager to catch a first glimpse of the fabled Lesser Spotted Hye-yun-Dai bird in it's full mating plumage..."

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chief87

Are the new cars out in operation yet? I thought they were going to be out by the en of last year?

I suppose it's a real sign of the times that people are getting excited about a new patrol car that if you were handed the keys of at a rental desk you would beg to change and sulk for the rest of your holiday if you couldn't.It's a bottom of the range, budget ****e heap that is stark proof that accountants now run the public service and cost now trumps every other consideration.

Chief87 wrote: »
    Are the new cars out in operation yet? I thought they were going to be out by the en of last year?

That's more PR bull!!! The marked cars out this week

I suppose it's a real sign of the times that people are getting excited about a new patrol car that if you were handed the keys of at a rental desk you would beg to change and sulk for the rest of your holiday if you couldn't.It's a bottom of the range, budget ****e heap that is stark proof that accountants now run the public service and cost now trumps every other consideration.

Its an interesting point Rawhead - i don't think id be turning down the keys of a Hyundai or other such car at the rental desk.

BUT.

The interesting point is that if you were to pick your ideal patrol car with the following criteria in mind

1) Very good performance/roadholding - remembering that the car will be for emergency services use and thus will be driven quickly at times, driving to emergencies on all sorts of road conditions in varying weather conditions

2) It would be expected to do 180,000 miles potentially before been changed

3) Should be very user friendly in terms of been a good machine to work with when your responding to 999 calls - at the end off a long 12 hour shift

4) Be capable of the specific task its been asked to do - so no 1.6 diesel on a job like RSU and traffic (remember criteria one)

Would you pick a Hyundai 1.7 diesel with above criteria in mind or something else.

To put it all in perspective though - there is a shortage of cars - so for many just the fact that theres something with 4 wheels been given out is handy.

A Hyundai 1.7 diesel as unsuited as it would seem to emergency services use - is a lot better then been a car down which otherwise would have been the case.

Fully understand where your coming from and actually agree

Is that the i30 hatchback or tourer?

Is that the i30 hatchback or tourer?

Tourer

Blanchardstown station?

• Advertisement
Advertisement