Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

D Trent wrote: »
    Note the camera on the Garda outriders helmet.

Would it be for evidence in court or for a TV program such as Traffic Blues?
    Is it owned by the Garda himself or AGS?
    Why is he the only one in the photo with a camera on his helmet

And what's the red thing stuck in his boot?
    BTW - does the state pay for sunglasses or would they have to buy their own?
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

It's a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Is that an i40 not an i30 tourer ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

3fullback wrote: »
    Is that an i40 not an i30 tourer ya ?

i40, though from that angle they're very similar. The i30 has a straighter rear side window, the i40's has a convex curve.

I wonder will the i35 sante fee jeeps get into the fleet ?

Ps. Any more pics of the i40 would be appreciated ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭kiteman

zapata wrote: »
    And what's the red thing stuck in his boot?
    BTW - does the state pay for sunglasses or would they have to buy their own?
    :confused:

I expect sunglasses would be supplied from a health and safety point of view.
    As anyone who has ridden a motorbike will know how downright dangerous it would be not to wear them, specially in morning and evening sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

I wonder will the i35 sante fee jeeps get into the fleet ?

Ps. Any more pics of the i40 would be appreciated ! :D

No thank god no i35 possible Santa fe

What the hell ?? Filming something maybe ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

What the hell ?? Filming something maybe ????

M50 northbound, probably filming in Ardmore or Ashford studios back down the M11

• Advertisement

Just looking at the last of the old Mondeos before the new one comes - maybe Ford might do a run-out 'police special' with these engines to shift the old models.

The most powerful engine in the Ford Mondeo range is the 2.0-litre 238bhp EcoBoost which is available on the Titanium X Sport model. Despite having a top speed of 152mph, it achieves 36.7mpg plus CO2 emissions of 179g/km.

The most efficient engine in the Ford Mondeo range is the 1.6-litre 114bhp TDCi, which returns 67.3mpg and emits 109g/km of CO2. This is available on the entry level Edge, mid-range Zetec Business and higher end Titanium X Business cars.

There is also another 1.6-litre engine available, but it's a turbocharged petrol EcoBoost unit that generates 158bhp. It returns 44.1mpg with CO2 emissions of 149g/km and can be specified on Zetec Business and Titanium X Business models.

The Ford Mondeo is also available with a 2.0-litre diesel engine, which can be specified with either 138 or 161bhp. The 138bhp unit is available on Zetec Business and Titanium X Business models and it achieves 62.8mpg plus 119g/km of CO2 with the six-speed manual gearbox. When mated to Ford's six-speed Powershift Automatic gearbox, its emissions increase to 136g/km of CO2 and it achieves 54.3mpg.

The 161bhp 2.0-litre diesel is available as either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic. All models with either transmission achieve the same mpg and CO2 emissions as their 138bhp counterpart.

The other diesel engine in the range is a 2.2-litre unit, which is available on the flagship model in the Ford Mondeo range - the Titanium X Sport. It emits 159g/km of CO2 and returns 47.1mpg. When fitted with the automatic gearbox, its emissions rise to 173g/km and its fuel economy drops marginally to 55.1mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I'd be surprised to see them going back to petrol anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I'd be surprised to see them going back to petrol anytime soon.

If they buy the right car - then it being petrol or diesel isn't overly relevant - but what it DOES highlight - is that even if you can't/won't have Audis or BMWs - you can still get something suitable from the likes of Ford.

Its just a case of having the right specification on the cars for what you want them to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Not in the gallery, but what is the Paljero with markings but no lights on it? Has what looks to be 2 flat dishes on top. Came up behind me with wig wags but no bles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I like those new fiat vans.. are they any good though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

carzony wrote: »
    I like those new fiat vans.. are they any good though?

They are Fiats, rubbish.

Dog units should have 4 wheel drive jeeps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Not in the gallery, but what is the Paljero with markings but no lights on it? Has what looks to be 2 flat dishes on top. Came up behind me with wig wags but no bles.

Dog unit 4x4

New Dog Unit.

But what's with the combi setup, 3/4 dogs plus handlers all in one van :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Capri wrote: »
    But what's with the combi setup, 3/4 dogs plus handlers all in one van :confused:

That is so that the public can see the dogs attacking the scum on the way to the station......

Good news for Garda fleet !

"Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald has got the green light for a significant investment in new garda vehicles. In discussions with Mr Howlin, Ms Fitzgerald has voiced concern about the need to replace the "ageing fleet"."

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/budget-2015-revealed-1000-new-teachers-and-1pc-tax-cut-in-budget-30655482.html

Replace them with what I wonder ?

• Advertisement

Replace them with what I wonder ?

Fiats ?

Good news for Garda fleet !

"Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald has got the green light for a significant investment in new garda vehicles. In discussions with Mr Howlin, Ms Fitzgerald has voiced concern about the need to replace the "ageing fleet"."

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/budget-2015-revealed-1000-new-teachers-and-1pc-tax-cut-in-budget-30655482.html

New RSU fleet please god

more connects, focus and hyundai... sure what else would they be buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

POGAN wrote: »
    New RSU fleet please god

Aren't their second hand ex UK Police vehicles on the way?

kub wrote: »
    Aren't their second hand ex UK Police vehicles on the way?

Only 4 of them coming in nothing to write home about

If the brains in HQ were wise they'd of put in an order for the outgoing model of the Mondeo while there's going cheap.

If the brains in HQ were wise they'd of put in an order for the outgoing model of the Mondeo while there's going cheap.

Afaik - the new Mondeo is about 2 years late arriving in Europe

So I wonder if there are actually many/any old ones left - to me it feels like its been on runout period for quite some time

Old diesel wrote: »

So I wonder if there are actually many/any old ones left - to me it feels like its been on runout period for quite some time

I'd say there still quite a few between here and the uk. Wouldn't even have to be white, is not often you see an unmarked car past 07 these days with the odd exception of a Focus or Avensis.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/mondeo/first-drives/2014-ford-mondeo-first-drive-review
    This is the all-new Ford Mondeo. The fleet favourite is new from the ground up, sharing most of its architecture and tech with the US-built Fusion saloon. However, the European Mondeo is arriving here a full three years after its American cousin went on sale, due to alterations to production plans.

It also arrives after what we’re told is significant revisions to make it palatable for a European audience. This ‘tailoring’ in Ford-speak includes substantial changes to the chassis, improvements to interior quality, new engine options and additional body styles.

It will go on sale in January as a five-door hatch, saloon and estate. At launch we’ll have the choice of a 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine, in two outputs, plus 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre petrol turbo EcoBoost engines, all allied to either a six-speed manual gearbox or an optional six-speed automatic

Minister Fitzgerald today announced that the Government is providing an additional €7 million in 2014 and €3 million in 2015 to allow the procurement and fit-out of approximately 400 new Garda vehicles. The vehicles will begin to come on stream in early 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Minister Fitzgerald today announced that the Government is providing an additional €7 million in 2014 and €3 million in 2015 to allow the procurement and fit-out of approximately 400 new Garda vehicles. The vehicles will begin to come on stream in early 2015.

It'll be the same crap though, no mobile data terminals, no anpr on district patrol cars, family saloons/estates with a blue light on the roof.

It'll be the same crap though, no mobile data terminals, no anpr on district patrol cars, family saloons/estates with a blue light on the roof.

So we taken bets on some fiat vans, more Hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DAVE1972

seen a marked i40 estate in cork last week . they look a pretty decent car in fairness not quite a mondeo but still better than i30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

So now that they have been on the run for a while, how are the Hyundai's holding up on the job in terms of reliability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The newer Hyundais and Focus's seem to be fairly widespread by now, must have replaced the 07 stuff for the most part.

Buying more of those is useless though, they need to get inventive and tender for a Garda special spec, something multi-purpose and adaptable with all the modern digital information options, and with at least 220 bhp to allow for rapid acceleration and reasonable open road pursuit prospects. Motorway traffic cars should be in the 260-300 bhp range.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The newer Hyundais and Focus's seem to be fairly widespread by now, must have replaced the 07 stuff for the most part.

Buying more of those is useless though, they need to get inventive and tender for a Garda special spec, something multi-purpose and adaptable with all the modern digital information options, and with at least 220 bhp to allow for rapid acceleration and reasonable open road pursuit prospects. Motorway traffic cars should be in the 260-300 bhp range.

I think the fleet needs more capability - or at least a certain proportion of it NEEDS more capability then what Hyundai cars or Fiat vans can provide.

The question is though - what capability is needed - and why - and what are the benefits of the extra capability.

For example - there are afaik - 2.2 diesel Mondeo estates on the fleet - 197 ps. How capable are these - what are their shortcomings.

Or put it another way - would (for example) VRS Octavias be capable enough????.

Part of the issue I think is one of mindset - ie just get cars (any car0 on the road.

I do think there is potential scope to have a certain amount of higher performance cars - especially unmarked cars.

The thing with stuff like Audis is that something like an A4 Quattro can just look like your typical 2.0 tdi 140 ps as used by premium badge lovers all over Ireland.

But hiding some 3 litre, its actually a cop car type surprises :D

But such a car needs to be able to justify its presence in the fleet by delivering advantages in terms of catching criminals and more effective policing etc etc.

You not going to put Audis, BMWs etc on the fleet to look nice - they would or should be there to do a particular role - and in doing that role provide an extra tool for fighting crime/enforcing the law.

Otherwise not much point having them.

I do think there is benefit in having such cars - but im not the person buying them - and more importantly - using them

DAVE1972 wrote: »
    seen a marked i40 estate in cork last week . they look a pretty decent car in fairness not quite a mondeo but still better than i30

Yup it's nice Alrite attached to regular unit on north side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's more to policing then just Traffic, you know. And it's day to day work that's being hampered by inadequate vehicles.

I'd have to say the mindset of the brass is strange. :rolleyes:
    On the 2 wheel side you only have FJR's and Deauvilles, no scooters or 250's,(Scooters would be ideal for city work, as quick as the Deauvilles in traffic ) yet on the 4 wheel side they're buying i30's and i40's, the 4 wheel equiv. of scooters , so are they hoping all chases will be aided by the bikes as 'scouts' to keep up with the perps until they're trapped/stuck in traffic and the regular units catch up :o
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/man-drove-wrong-way-down-motorway-1.1963522

......Judge Patrick Durcan praised Garda motorcyclist John Reidy for risking his life in a high-speed chase of Cotter.....Garda Reidy said that he caught up with Cotter as he was driving in the correct northbound direction near Ennis. “I pulled level with him and the speed I was doing at the time was 180km per hour. I looked at him and he looked at me . . . The window was down in his car and he was smoking a cigarette.”
    Garda Reidy kept up the chase for 16km and said that Cotter’s driving was “highly dangerous”.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

He received a 30-year driving ban in 2012 at Limerick Circuit Court. His 208 previous convictions include 19 offences for drink-driving and nine hit-and-run offences.

A new record for me jesus.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

flazio wrote: »
    There's more to policing then just Traffic, you know. And it's day to day work that's being hampered by inadequate vehicles.

Fair point.

Accepting that the Hyundai offering aren't up to the job - what sort of vehicle would be needed????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Fair point.

Accepting that the Hyundai offering aren't up to the job - what sort of vehicle would be needed????

Something comfortable, reliable, stable and with a bit of power... Mondeo or Octavia!

Both good cars, neither overly expensive.

Oh and if DOJ didn't have to pay VRT on the AGS fleet, they'd get a lot more for their money!

source wrote: »
    Something comfortable, reliable, stable and with a bit of power... Mondeo or Octavia!

Both good cars, neither overly expensive.

Oh and if DOJ didn't have to pay VRT on the AGS fleet, they'd get a lot more for their money!

Mondeo at least, think i40s will be grand car tho

Another angle to the 'buy the best cars' argument
    Police spend £127million on car maintenance

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88992/police-spend-127million-on-car-maintenance

UK police forces have spent £127.5million on maintaining and repairing their vehicle fleets since 2011/12, according to an exclusive Auto Express investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Capri wrote: »
    Another angle to the 'buy the best cars' argument

Triggers broom ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

that fiat is tragic. be great undercover yoke i suppose..

I've said this before and I'll say it again, just because a private car is parked in an official Garda parking spot doesn't make it an official Garda vehicle, it may well be a Guard's own private car or some eejit who thinks if they have business in the station they can park there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've said this before and I'll say it again, just because a private car is parked in an official Garda parking spot doesn't make it an official Garda vehicle, it may well be a Guard's own private car or some eejit who thinks if they have business in the station they can park there.

It's a unmarked they have a gold one among another load of very old vehicles even some these days have other county reg's

I think that Transit belongs to Motorway Services rather then AGS

I think that Transit belongs to Motorway Services rather then AGS

It is a Garda one. I think it's DMR East SOC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement