Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

aaronc182 wrote: »
    are they i40/i30s really that bad? what makes them so poor out of interest?

It’s not just me, the lads in the depot don’t like them either, its like using a computer with constant lag, if you are unfortunate enough to try stop someone and they make off at speed let’s say, if I drop a gear it’s like as if the clutch just doesn’t let you select a gear easy enough, can’t find it grind it as they say. Another thing I found with the hyundais they are opposite to the insignia that has horrendous over steer where as the idirty has bad under steer. When you’re in pursuit nothing in the car sits right there’s always something banging or screeching in it, I actually liked the avensis, more specifically the silver one, it could pull when it needed too, I think got moved to pearse street it was in santry when I was there.

About the i30 though, One of the lads was single crewed on the Ashbourne to finglas road and a car failed to stop, he pushed the ptt and it didn’t work because the wires dislodged in the dash. They are horrendous machines all round.
    Made like the job likes, cheap and have a door to stick the logo on there’s your hi vis policing. Now I’m the one on a rant! Lol

What's the alternative for them though? Take a bike out instead ?

Waiting list for a bike Course I’d nearly have my 30 done. Alternatively, anything that is proven to work by a garda driver not an accountant. Me personally I like VWs you have great selection for city policing compol PO vans to high performance machines all by one manufacturer. That could be all included in a tender agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Hyundai are a good looking car but thats about it with them. Its a pity they are not fit for purpose. Surely theres some sort of test they do with them first to see will they cope? I know it was because of the money but how they thought they would be ok for the job is mind boggling. Skodas would be class. Its great when you see a few of the oldies still floating around seen an unmarked navy fiesta yesterday still hacking on. Good few of them still left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Waiting list for a bike Course I’d nearly have my 30 done. Alternatively, anything that is proven to work by a garda driver not an accountant. Me personally I like VWs you have great selection for city policing compol PO vans to high performance machines all by one manufacturer. That could be all included in a tender agreement.

I literally meant then and there. As in if they didn't want to use an i40, could they actually refuse ? Only other alternative is the Tuscon, Insignia or Ranger if memory serves me right.

Yeah I agree. VAG, Ford (though the mk5 Mondeo isn't considered the drivers car like the previous ones) and BMW would be the best options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Borgo wrote: »
    Hyundai are a good looking car but thats about it with them. Its a pity they are not fit for purpose. Surely theres some sort of test they do with them first to see will they cope? I know it was because of the money but how they thought they would be ok for the job is mind boggling. Skodas would be class. Its great when you see a few of the oldies still floating around seen an unmarked navy fiesta yesterday still hacking on. Good few of them still left.

I always wondered why more MK4 Mondeos were not bought at the time or why they never went with any of the 2.5 turbos either. I know the country was in **** at the time but still.

As somebody said here recently don't be surprised if Peugeot is the next mass fleet purchase as there everywhere in the UK now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

I always wondered why more MK4 Mondeos were not bought at the time or why they never went with any of the 2.5 turbos either. I know the country was in **** at the time but still.

As somebody said here recently don't be surprised if Peugeot is the next mass fleet purchase as there everywhere in the UK now.

What’s the thing with Peugeot.. they don’t have enough garages in Ireland same is why bmw got s*** deal too won’t happen 4 years of Hyundai to come anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Peugeot won the last tender for large vans, Public Order Unit vans, so that could be the start of it......

BaronVon wrote: »
    Peugeot won the last tender for large vans, Public Order Unit vans, so that could be the start of it......

Limited purchase tender

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Yeah good few countries use Peugeot the french love them for their unmarked fleet of course. Probably better than the Hyundai but theres obviously better options out there for us, they can never think logically with this its always to do with money. Id say the Gards who get to bring the ST or the Golf on their spins do be like kids on Christmas morning.

About the i30 though, One of the lads was single crewed on the Ashbourne to finglas road and a car failed to stop, he pushed the ptt and it didn’t work because the wires dislodged in the dash. They are horrendous machines all round.
    Made like the job likes, cheap and have a door to stick the logo on there’s your hi vis policing. Now I’m the one on a rant! Lol

sounds like whoever was responsible for tendering had never even sat in a hyundai or just went for cheapest option?..the i40's are nice looking yokes though but not fit for purpose by the sounds of it...
    .i always wondered why a car manufacturer hasn't produced a vehicle from scratch specifically for policing designed and built for the abuse they'd be put through rather than sticking lights on a family saloon or modifying normal cars ...maybe wouldn't be cost effective

• Advertisement

i always wondered why a car manufacturer hasn't produced a vehicle from scratch specifically for policing designed and built for the abuse they'd be put through rather than sticking lights on a family saloon or modifying normal cars ...maybe wouldn't be cost effective

I know Ford do a lot of Police stuff, and market cars for sale specifically to the Police in the US, and have them made up accordingly:

https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/

I believe they have cars that are 'based' on their normal range of cars, but are factory-modified for the police service...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Police_Interceptor_(variant)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus_(sixth_generation)#Police_Interceptor_Sedan

When the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (CVPI) ended production in late 2011, a variant of the sixth-generation Taurus was offered to police forces... Ford is referring to the new police car simply as the "Police Interceptor Sedan", rather than a Taurus. The standard engine is taken from the Ford Mustang and not available on the non-law enforcement Ford Taurus... The Police Interceptor includes much of Ford's latest safety technology... and have desirable CVPI features unavailable on the (non-police) Taurus like a column-shifted automatic added back in.

sounds like whoever was responsible for tendering had never even sat in a hyundai or just went for cheapest option?..the i40's are nice looking yokes though but not fit for purpose by the sounds of it...
    .i always wondered why a car manufacturer hasn't produced a vehicle from scratch specifically for policing designed and built for the abuse they'd be put through rather than sticking lights on a family saloon or modifying normal cars ...maybe wouldn't be cost effective

Money money... i40 is going to be here for awhile large purchase coming get rid of old stock.

I seeing new 201 Skoda in DA yesterday looks well pity branch have it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aaron1416

POGAN wrote: »
    Money money... i40 is going to be here for awhile large purchase coming get rid of old stock.

Seen a lovely gold 530d parked outside CCJ,
    The marked ones parked up in the college is such a shame, the roads marking on them look the part, I assume they are CBD 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Aaron1416 wrote: »
    The marked ones parked up in the college is such a shame, the roads marking on them look the part, I assume they are CBD 3?

Any photos going of the marked up ones?

skodas seem to be a popular choice in other European countries.

Ya there 5 them in college 162 some with less than 10k on them... being deployed at moment for covid 19...

Yes cbd3 they are being used on the asu course last few years

Hogzy wrote: »
    Any photos going of the marked up ones?

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

Why are the 530s being used in the college instead of in the traffic units? Surely it makes more sense to have i40s in the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

EI321 wrote: »
    Why are the 530s being used in the college instead of in the traffic units? Surely it makes more sense to have i40s in the college.

They need to be type training for special units, hence why so little km on them, rarely used but are essential of course....

Really these courses should be 24hr running around the clock and get more drivers up to code....

Shocking really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

There was a BMW X5 E53 model that was seized and used for a while. Is that still in use?

• Advertisement

They need to be type training for special units, hence why so little km on them, rarely used but are essential of course....

Really these courses should be 24hr running around the clock and get more drivers up to code....

Shocking really.

Not enough trained driver, no cbd3 course other than ASU and cbd2 course is core at moment not enough regular with it so can’t use the blues at all. That course is now 3 weeks -class members do cbd2, Tucson day and van course within it better than what it was...

Some lads 12/15 years without a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I would have thought those Vectras were well past their service by now.
    Surprised to see they still run them.

carzony wrote: »

It is the last one on the Merseyside fleet only 221k on it..It’s a vxr so they’ve taken good care of it by all accounts

It is the last one on the Merseyside fleet only 221k on it..It’s a vxr so they’ve taken good care of it by all accounts

I remember them from road wars on sky, must be nearly 10 years ago now.

I remember them from road wars on sky, must be nearly 10 years ago now.

The omegas were my favourite.... Rear wheel drive v6s.....

Oh it's longer then 10 years.....

The omegas were my favourite.... Rear wheel drive v6s.....

Oh it's longer then 10 years.....

I haven’t the IV, silver vectra in quite awhile,

Think it was a Vectra opc given down from PSNI, I love the style and shape of them!

The OPC one?

I haven’t the IV, silver vectra in quite awhile,

Think it was a Vectra opc given down from PSNI, I love the style and shape of them!

It was crash during a chase recently.. it’s police spec so goes 500,000 km Like ASU and vans

Would the ST's be on normal patrol duties?

• Advertisement

Would the ST's be on normal patrol duties?

Op creeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Anyone remember that Seat Ateca R that was going around north Dublin with a Garda sticker on the boot and LEDs etc? I saw it yesterday and the sticker seems to be gone, wonder if he got pulled about it or what.

On another note too I saw a 161 beige/gold Focus hatch around Inchicore, unmarked car (I know this because two detectives jumped out of it right in front of me and chased after a group of lads who scattered) but I noticed a dealer sticker and dealer plates on it. Don't even ask me how I noticed them, but they definitely stuck out. Whats the story with that? I thought Garda cars never came with them (worth mentioning that the car had light/sirens/extra aerials and the guards driving were wearing Garda jackets)

Op creeper

Nope

Nope

DOCB night time patrols, or something similar to that, very sound lads to be fair! Wouldn’t be a bad gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone remember that Seat Ateca R that was going around north Dublin with a Garda sticker on the boot and LEDs etc? I saw it yesterday and the sticker seems to be gone, wonder if he got pulled about it or what.

I believe he got a visit of some description alright. Lad that owns that was sick last I heard so he might not still own it. BTW he works in the same office as me but he’s been off for a good while.

On another note too I saw a 161 beige/gold Focus hatch around Inchicore, unmarked car (I know this because two detectives jumped out of it right in front of me and chased after a group of lads who scattered) but I noticed a dealer sticker and dealer plates on it. Don't even ask me how I noticed them, but they definitely stuck out. Whats the story with that? I thought Garda cars never came with them (worth mentioning that the car had light/sirens/extra aerials and the guards driving were wearing Garda jackets)

Some stick them on to try make them blend in more, similar to fitting the insurance and NCT holder and putting in discs off other cars.... Out of date mind but most likely a confiscated car.

Seen some of the Skoda have surrounds on them and finglas motors use to be a well used one too.

• Advertisement

Belfast Stephen it is a silver 2006 OPC that came from the north.....

Belfast Stephen it is a silver 2006 OPC that came from the north.....

It did the lads love that car

Audi Q, golfs all unmarked on the Gucci units few other new things out there too🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

We're the Garda not give a Vectra VXR by the PSNI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

We're the Garda not give a Vectra VXR by the PSNI

Vectra VXR and OPC are the same car depending on whether it's sold in the UK or the rest of Europe. I guess it would have been branded Vauxhall and VXR if the PSNI had owned it first. But there won't be any difference other than badges.

Them OPC are nuts, great fun to be had, drove a few of the Astra's and one 06 Vectra that had a checkered owner, fun car even though they didn't handle like a scubby.....

They really need some more of these proper decent cars recession or not....

I cringe, really cringe every time I see an i30 or 40 marked up as roads policing.....

I could leave them for dead.... Yes I know the radio yada yada but just saying...

Oh I've seen the Vectra at least twice and love the sound.....

• Advertisement

Them OPC are nuts, great fun to be had, drove a few of the Astra's and one 06 Vectra that had a checkered owner, fun car even though they didn't handle like a scubby.....

They really need some more of these proper decent cars recession or not....

I cringe, really cringe every time I see an i30 or 40 marked up as roads policing.....

I could leave them for dead.... Yes I know the radio yada yada but just saying...

Oh I've seen the Vectra at least twice and love the sound.....

I had a vxr myself they are amazing to get speed out off, I sold it two years ago and got the mondeo ST220

@Capri those Alfa’s are unbelievable, considering i lived in Bologna for three years. I had the pleasure of seeing the older versions in use. They are amazing the sound of them is something else...

https://twitter.com/gmptraffic/status/1253572135106289664?s=21

Have a watch of this, Manchester police tactical contact on a stolen Nissan! And then for their chief to tweet out in support of them!

Will we ever see the this here?

https://twitter.com/gmptraffic/status/1253572135106289664?s=21

Have a watch of this, Manchester police tactical contact on a stolen Nissan! And then for their chief to tweet out in support of them!

Will we ever see the this here?

Similar incident happened about two months ago when the golf pursued a Mercedes and they made tactical contact. I hear it a was less tactical and more brute force but it was similar. I can’t imagine it will be publicly applauded here, ever. as we have too many do gooders in the ranks and in Leinster house who would jump on the opportunity to say it’s heavy handed.

Honestly that's exactly what the cars are for they are a tool and not the be all or the end of all.....

The workmen or women use the tools to get the job done and if that means ruin a vehicle to save lives then hands down that a big plus.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

PSNI officer injured after car rammed off motorway https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52431544

And that’s an A6 could you imagine if it was a Hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

kooga wrote: »
    PSNI officer injured after car rammed off motorway https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52431544

And that’s an A6 could you imagine if it was a Hyundai

That Audi A6 is not even a year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

That Audi A6 is not even a year old

'Police garage' TV series had a BMW 530 wrecjked after a few weeks..expensive but 'public money' so they don't worry?

Have to say them 508 look the business, absolutely loving the styling.

Handle wise couldn't say but they must be somewhat good if armed units are now using.

Has it upgrades?

Have to say them 508 look the business, absolutely loving the styling.

Handle wise couldn't say but they must be somewhat good if armed units are now using.

Has it upgrades?

I’ll see if he can photos of the inside

• Advertisement
Advertisement