Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best eCig available now?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a bit sick of the hit & miss nature of my tornado, plus it looks like one of my batteries has died.

So if you were to start over and get a new eCig now, which one would it be - taking into account the flavour, throat hit, battery life and importantly - the consistency? (and one that doesn't include lots of DIY stuff).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I'd go with the Lavtube;

http://www.irishvapers.ie/33-lavatube

In depth review here;

http://www.e-cig-reviews.com/lavatube.html

Difficult to get hold of right at the moment but if you don't mind the wait this is the best device available at a very reasonable price. Does pretty much everything that very expensive devices like the Provari will give you and has a 510 connection. They're a lot fatter than the Ego but if you don't mind compromising size department (ooh er) then they're a brilliant all round device.

These also work very nicely with standard resistance Ego atomisers if you have a 510 to Ego adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

10Motives is a brand of disposable e-cig currently available from a few tesco's in Dublin, has anyone tried them ?

Disposables are pretty nasty but good to see Tesco stocking anything vaguely like an ecig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I think they are pretty good.

I tried one once - like sucking a straw.
    You be better off with a 510 and they kind of suck too after all the advances in ecig technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

If starting from scratch, I would still go with an automatic 510 with cartridge, which is what I did. They are reliable and easy to use for a beginner. But, that is if I was starting from scratch, which I'm not.

Although this vaping thing is still very new, there is I feel a natural progression one has to go through before moving onto Egos, ego T's, LR Cartomisers, Smokeymizers etc.

I'd say start at a higher level and save yourself some time and money.
    Get a Lavatube and some good cartos, bump your voltage when you feel you can handle it.

I skipped the 510 phase and went straight to an Ego - still wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I'd say start at a higher level and save yourself some time and money.
    Agree , although it is not a bad idea to get 1 or 2 genuine joyetech EGO-T 900 batteries as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I suppose its all relative to each individual but the disposable cartridge jobs are going to cost you a lot more in the long run. I saw two dudes have a stall set up outside Tesco Maynooth selling them.

I started with Ego-T batteries and Dual Coil Cartos. My Cuz was experimenting with tanks and atomisers. Still a smoker, I used to try them but it wasn't until he got the dual coil carto's that I decided I'd give it a go.

There was no effort and I haven't looked back since.

The 2 batteries are faultless, over 6 months in. I could get a month out of a carto but after 3 weeks the liquid starts looking a bit dark and dirty. Keep the carto wet and it wont burn out. The fall off in quality is only noticable when you put a fresh one on and its not much at that.

So yeah, I wouldn't change my set up. Took a while but I found my flavour too and its USA mix with Caramel, I'm mega happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you could get a month out of a dcc?

how often do you vape

• Advertisement

Easily, Sir Digby. I've done it with at least 2 of them. I tend to drop a few squirts of liquid in every 3 hours to keep it wet. As long as it doesn't dry out, it wont lose flavour. It may lose volume and vapour but it's so gradual that its only noticable towards the end of the 4th week.

Its hard to gague how much I vape. I suppose I take a couple of pulls every 15 mins. That said I could go for an hour or so without touching it. I used to smoke 20 a day but I reckon thats been reduced as I can go without 1st thing in the morning for an hour.

I must mention though that I'm not really into the strong throat hit thing.

i guess i'm a metric ****ton pickier than you, I vape around the same amount an I generally bin mine after a week

At the end of the week, how do you find the carto?

it depends, sometimes the vapour/flavour just drops off to a level where I say "**** it, i have 4 more of these things" and sometimers the flavour/vapour stays ok but it just *eats* juice at a crazy rate, more than it did when i first started using it

the one ive been uwsing for the past week is like that now.. I refilled this thing 3 times already today and it's already kinda tasting dry

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velocivaper

I can usually get average two weeks+ from a DCC keeping it wet and flushing it out once or twice. Some cartos of the same make last longer & some "taste" better than others. Maybe I'm not as fussy, after all I did spent 30 years inhaling burning leaves !

by flushing it out, you boil it a few times till the steam/water is clear of the flavour>?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry, when I meant start from scratch - I don't mean if you were a beginner, I just mean not caring if you couldn't use any of the stuff you already have, other than juice.

I'm happy to spend some cash on a totally new device; once it's consistent etc. The tornado has been OK, but if I can get something better which involves having two sets of chargers and carts etc, I'm OK with that.

I'm sick and tired of getting horizontal carts which are crap (bought 4 or 5 and binned them all), or DCCs/ Mega carts which are very hit & miss.

Plus two of my four batteries have died recently (have tried them with 3 different chargers), so now is a good as any time to try something new.

by flushing it out, you boil it a few times till the steam/water is clear of the flavour>?
    The way I do it is attach a piece of clear plastic pipe to the drip tip, put the terminal end of the atty into a glass of very hot water, and carefully ! suck on the end of the tube till the water is half way up, and blow it out into the sink, repeat till the water runs clear, sometimes if I have it I'll finish with a bit of vodka in a clean glass, I think It helps it dry quicker. Put the atty on the rad for a few minutes to dry out.

Eoin wrote: »
    Plus two of my four batteries have died recently (have tried them with 3 different chargers), so now is a good as any time to try something new.
    How long did you get from them? just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i guess i'm a metric ****ton pickier than you, I vape around the same amount an I generally bin mine after a week

Exact same here, I get about a week out of one before the flavour etc gets a bit manky for me and I switch to a new one. Don't mind, at €2 a go they're not too expensive.

• Advertisement

eoin, lavatube or provari I guess and some boge carto's

nesf, aye. 2 euro a week is still way cheaper than cigs, so no hassle.

nesf, aye. 2 euro a week is still way cheaper than cigs, so no hassle.

I'm on both atm. :(

:(

quitting aid or harm reduction, at least the ecigs are still doing something for you

:(

quitting aid or harm reduction, at least the ecigs are still doing something for you

Yeah fewer cigs a day. So I'm happy enough to be honest. The e-cig is useful in delaying that next cig etc.

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah fewer cigs a day. So I'm happy enough to be honest. The e-cig is useful in delaying that next cig etc.

How many were you smoking before started vaping?

Of the people I got started on vaping, half faltered and the other half love them.

BTW, I'm still in work and my battery just died.:p Only an hour to go!!

I was thinking about this best ecig debate today (ie not very busy) and from what I can see most of the development appears to be in the battery and voltage control side of things, the "business " end i.e. the atomizer would seem to be a bit of a poor relation wrt improving the technology.
    Personally I need some thing I can fill once a day, doesn't leak or otherwise disintegrate in my pocket, and delivers good value, ease of use, reliable performance, satisfying vapour production and taste.
    The taste end of things is obviously subjective.The 510 atty with "wool" filled cartridge doesn't have the capacity, the tank attys I've used have mostly all leaked and then faded badly after about a week of use, plus are expensive @€;5-€6 a go. I have not tried the horizontal cartos, but they don't seem to get good reviews on this forum. I'm tempted to try the Smokymizer but I'm not gone on the plastic construction. This leaves the DCC xl which I use or get one of the rebuildable attys which I'd love to fiddle with but are a bit expensive for an impulse purchase. The LR DCC ticks most of the boxes, I havent got a dud one yet, but I bought a good few of them a couple of months ago so maybe the quality control has fallen since.
    This is just my tuppence worth into the debate.

How many were you smoking before started vaping?

40+. 20 now on a bad day. 10 on a good day. Varies a lot.

How long did you get from them? just curious.

One battery lasted 4 months, the other maybe 3/4 weeks. I'll double check them across the different chargers again to be sure.

I'll check out those other ones - thanks for the tips.

Thats a lot of bad luck with batteries, came across this on the screwdriver site: http://www.cavecom.com/screwdriver/forum/showthread.php?t=21251 Seems to implicate some out of spec atty connections crushing the insulating washer at the business end of the battery leading to a short circuit. I have a eGo-T branded battery and a non branded, the attys dont screw as far into the branded battery before I start to feel it tighten, the difference is literally a fraction of a millimeter. Just a thought..

• Advertisement

As it happened, I just found the battery I thought I lost a couple of months ago - and it still seems to have a full charge!

The technology is still immature, so I sort of expect the equipment to be quite flaky at times.

I don't know if it's worth getting a new device though, if it's just changing the battery. If I'm still stuck with the inconsistent atomisers, then it might not be worth my while.

Advertisement