Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I grow my own xmas trees??

• 12-12-2011 11:42pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of planting a couple of xmas trees in the garden, I don't really want to spend out the money for the ones I've seen - 60euro for a 6ft potted tree. can I buy small trees, and are they fast or slow growing?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I was thinking of planting a couple of xmas trees in the garden, I don't really want to spend out the money for the ones I've seen - 60euro for a 6ft potted tree. can I buy small trees, and are they fast or slow growing?
    thanks

Gardeners World had an interview with Britain best Xmas tree grower. He said its 6-7 years of growth and you trim the tree to shape it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

If you were to plant 20, how much space would be recommended for each one? Would 5-6 feet be enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kerosene wrote: »
    If you were to plant 20, how much space would be recommended for each one? Would 5-6 feet be enough?

5 to 6 feet would easily be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have 2 2 year old ones in my garden. got them in superquiinn for 12 quid each. they still have them. I need to move it out from the wall actually i should probably do that now as its right up against it. silly planting it so close but i suppose its dormant right now.

If you were to grow a christmas tree from seed, would it be best to grow it a greenhouse or polytunnel to begin with for the 1st year prehaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Damascena

You could plant the seed in a cold frame perhaps but many seeds need a cold period to break dormancy before they will germinate. If you plant them out now they should recieve adaquate natural conditions to stimulate gemination naturally. However I wouldn't expect the seeds to germinate untill the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Seen potted trees in homebase this year about 2ft tall for 30 quid. Guidelines with tree said 'That tree could be planted in garden after xmas and dug up year after year' Dont know much about pine trees but cant see them survive such treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nathalie lighting

the speed of the growth would be slow, the space, 5 to 6 feet would easily be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluespruce

hi! just reading up on yer thread ui bought 3 of them and planted them at 1.2metres apart bought them for 45 i think of a crowd in roscommon www.hedges.ie not too bad they delivered aswell

I never got around to growing a xmas tree yet. If i were to buy a small potted tree (9-12 inches). and wanted to keep growing the tree in a pot. How often would I need to repot it? and what size of pot would you need if it grew to 5-5.5 feet.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement