Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60gb SSD enough for a gaming pc?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    So I like many people have been caught trying to build a new pc in the hdd shortage, which has caused me serious problems as I was hoping to build this pc on the cheap. I have roughly €100 to spend on some form of storage drive
    ( which in itself is too much to be paying on storage IMO[on a budget] but anyway..).

My question is: Am I as well off buy an overpriced hdd now for something that will be half price or less in a few months, or buy a 60gb ssd and buy a hdd when they're cheap again? is 60gb enough? (my current steam folder is 80gb by itself, but with a heap of stuff I don't play installed)

All opinions welcome, but I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has/ had a 60gb ssd in their gaming rig.

And BTW, I'm fully sold on the benefits of SSd's and I think they're great, but just wanted to know is it worth it in my case! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It can be done, but you have to be careful with managing your space. Both in games and otherwise. If you stick to a bare few games, you'd get by. But if you're installing something new every week, you'll be finding yourself doing a lot of uninstalling. Be careful which drive you buy. Some of the 60GB drives are only 55GB (not taking into consideration the different measurements of 1GB = 2^30 vs 10^9 which will further reduce your capacity).

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

You will be fine with having a few games installed at a time, installing/uninstalling games will be very fast (ssd dependent) anyway so if you don't mind doing that...

Lots of room can be saved be turning off unneeded features if using windows, google will lead the way.

Another option i have personally done is to v-lite your windows installation disc. I made a full featured windows 7 ultimate iso 1.5 GB in size easily enough, using this tool which, when installed, took up only 5.6 GB of drive space.

Get this and you will be very pleased. Prepare to be amazed by the speed of boot and application load times. Bear in mind sata 3 support is needed to achieve maximum read/write speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not expect hdd prices to go down for atleast 1.5 year. There were few good articles posted here before.

So I would suggest buying 120gb ssd and you will be sorted for awile if you plan on gaming only. You can always buy external hdd later ( which are cheaper, don't ask why lol ) if you need storage or movies etc.

It depends what sort of gamer you are. 60gb can be enough or not. If you plan to have 1-3 games and no other stuff, thn you can live with it for awile. If you plan to install more, then gl to you.

Remember that new games have stupid size patches. Wow, lol, bf3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

I use a 60GB SSD for Windows and a 2TB drive for everything else and it all works fine. You just have to make sure to install everything to the larger drive as I have a consistent 6 GB free on the SSD which doesn't leave room for anything aside from the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I have a 64 (Really 63GB) SSD, and I have Windows 7 on it, all the very important Windows Updates, Google Chrome, Minecraft, lots of mods and texture packs, and TF2 (which is 10GB) and I still have 16GB of space left so I'm pretty happy with that.
    What I recommend is that you burn your games onto a disc if you download them that way you can easily uninstall/re-install them without having to download them again, really handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

while I love SSDs, I don't think at 60gb will be enough unfortunately. my windows install is 21gb. a game can take loads. the latest BF3 patch is 3.6gb. you probably have at least 10gb of music or movies, so you're stuck with 1 or 2 games and several save files. I if you had a 250gb+ external or something, it'd be bareable.

I've got an 80gb SSD and loads of junction points and all documents etc moved to the HDD, and 3 games (ACR, BF3, B:AC) and I'm down to 5gb free. a few program updates and its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I couldn't live with just 60GB. My Steam folder would be 180GB and I haven't bothered to install all my games yet. And that's without taking into account my Origin folder which takes up another 20-30GB. So around 200GB taken up with definitely more to be taken up in the next year.

Then, I tend to like having quite a few games ready and waiting to be played. I can be quite capricious about what game I'll play at night etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Pointless having the likes of Steam & Origin game folders on the SSD. If you are a big gamer you are always going to be struggling for space on the SSD. I have a 60GB Crucial M4 SSD which I'm delighted with due to the rapid booting and fast Windows performance. Games are installed on a seperate drive which is primarily for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

60GB just for OS and drivers maybe.

But your logic is flawed.

You state that you're trying to build on a budget - yet want an SSD. That makes no sense. Sure, HDD's have gone up in price, but you still get a LOT more storage for your money.

Hitachi Desktstar 500GB €82.70

^ would serve you a LOT better than a 60GB SSD on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Have the prices for internal SATA drives gone up recently ?
    I bought a 500gb one in peats about 6 months ago i believe it was like 55 euro. Now all i see online is 80 euro +

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    I bought a 500gb one in peats about 6 months ago i believe it was like 55 euro. Now all i see online is 80 euro +

Yep, there's a platter shortage or something causing the prices to rise dramatically the past while.

30 quid is not the end of the world...

We might aswell stick this to AH forum "stingiest thing people do " thread...

They won't go down in price for a good year. So just bend over, buy 500gb, then when you get your wages buy ssd. Done

30 quid is not the emd of the world...

We might aswell stick this to AH forum "stingiest thing people do " thread...

They won't go down in price for a good year. So just bend over, buy 500gb, then when you get your wages buy ssd. Dome

That post was a bit unwarranted wasn't it?? Not only were you not addressing the OP, but considering a 1TB drive was ~€50 a month or two ago, nearly double that for half the storage is quite a jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Flooding in Thailand has caused
    a platter shortage or something
    so normal HDDs have gone up in price. I think SSD's have stayed the same, though?

I think they I read that December to February is going to be rough, as there won't be fresh stock coming in.

/edit
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/02/us-westerndigitalcorp-idUSTRE7B106G20111202
    Western Digital on Friday said it partly resumed production ahead of schedule and raised its outlook for the December quarter, prompting at least three brokerages to raise their price targets on the stock.

Seagate was the least hit among hard disk drive makers and its factories were running at full capacity after the floods.

Pictures from October: http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/10/27/wd_flooded_factory/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

SSD prices have been indirectly affected as well. The demand for them has gone up, so prices have risen about 5-10%.

@Shadowhearth, I dunno where you're getting those numbers. Indications are that by this time next year prices will have normalised somewhat. They're already coming down a bit. 2TB drives were €200, they're now about €150.

Serephucus wrote: »
    SSD prices have been indirectly affected as well. The demand for them has gone up, so prices have risen about 5-10%.

@Shadowhearth, I dunno where you're getting those numbers. Indications are that by this time next year prices will have normalised somewhat. They're already coming down a bit. 2TB drives were €200, they're now about €150.

thats what was linked in other thread:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222522/Impact_of_hard_drive_shortage_to_linger_through_2013

No one can predict when they will go to normal pricing ( same as no one can predict loto numbers ), but thats what it says in this article. Article might be wrong too.

@dublin_gunner We all can Moan and bitch about prices, but in the end of the day, if you need hard drive, you will go and buy one. I biult PC a week ago and i got 60ssd and 500gb hdd, because i could not afford bigger one. For the sake of that extra few quid i will just buy that over priced HDD and enjoy my games and space, then sit with small SSD or no SSD and small HDD and have a finger sticking out in the sky and expect better prices for HDDs... When they will drop more in price i will just get one more 256GB SSD for my games and external HDD for all my Por..... i mean fotos, movies and music.

thats what was linked in other thread:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222522/Impact_of_hard_drive_shortage_to_linger_through_2013

No one can predict when they will go to normal pricing ( same as no one can predict loto numbers ), but thats what it says in this article. Article might be wrong too.

@dublin_gunner We all can Moan and bitch about prices, but in the end of the day, if you need hard drive, you will go and buy one. I biult PC a week ago and i got 60ssd and 500gb hdd, because i could not afford bigger one. For the sake of that extra few quid i will just buy that over priced HDD and enjoy my games and space, then sit with small SSD or no SSD and small HDD and have a finger sticking out in the sky and expect better prices for HDDs... When they will drop more in price i will just get one more 256GB SSD for my games and external HDD for all my Por..... i mean fotos, movies and music.

lol I'm not arguing with you! It was just the tone of your post I thought was a bit un-called for!

Obviously, noone can do anything about the current HDD prices, the prices are what they are - and to be honest we've been extremely lucky the past year or 2 with the amazingly affordable storage that has been on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

SSD is great for your main drive but you need something to supplement it for actual storage. I have an 80gb with terrabytes of storage and the SSD is always threatening lack of space.

Everything defaults to the C drive so programs will be slowly eating up it's space in the background with updates without you realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I dunno if it has been said but...
    If you have a newer Z68 motherboard it may have Intel Smart Response Tech.
    It basically will use a small SSD as a cache for your most used apps/games.
    It means you can have your OS/games and everything installed on your normal HDD but with the benefits of SSD speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

30 quid is not the end of the world...

Of course not, just the first time i've ever seen an increase in a computer part price, rather than decrease.

• Advertisement

Of course not, just the first time i've ever seen an increase in a computer part price, rather than decrease.
    The parts do go up and down a fair bit, I've seen stuff go up in the past. It's just like the stock market.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The parts do go up and down a fair bit, I've seen stuff go up in the past. It's just like the stock market.

In general, prices drop for computer parts as time goes on. Usually, you'll find it parts that have been phased out that increase in price.

In general, prices drop for computer parts as time goes on. Usually, you'll find it parts that have been phased out that increase in price.

Explain ddr2 then.

It costs double of DDR3 and is way slower, older. In fact all ram are effected by it. Older parts get more expencive as it gets more rare. Same with older gen mobos and CPUs.

Parts newer just drop in price. The post earlyer gave a very good example: it's like stock market.

For example: I had 2500k CPU in my basket for few days, when I finnaly was going to place my order it went up 5 quid up...

Edit: lol my bad, you said same thing.

Explain ddr2 then.

It costs double of DDR3 and is way slower, older. In fact all ram are effected by it. Older parts get more expencive as it gets more rare. Same with older gen mobos and CPUs.

Parts newer just drop in price. The post earlyer gave a very good example: it's like stock market.

For example: I had 2500k CPU in my basket for few days, when I finnaly was going to place my order it went up 5 quid up...

Edit: lol my bad, you said same thing.

That's exactly what I said. DDR2 has been phased out, and is far more expensive than DDR3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I'm going down the 60gb SSD route simply because it's the only SSD I can afford at the moment and with the platter shortage it doesn't look like they're going to get cheaper in the next six months. It's one of those drives that's really 55gb though, toss on 21gb for windows and that leaves me with a bit under 34gb to play with. Really should leave 5-10gb free for swap space so that's down to 24gb now. Add in steam and that space is gobbled up so a 60gb SSD on it's own for gaming isn't really worth it unless you only play one game. I'll have a 500gb drive sitting beside it so that will handle it and some network attached storage for music/movies.

There should be some guides out there that allow you to install steam on the SSD and have the games reside on the other drive, a handy feature I might take advantage of if I want to have more than one or two games available to play.

Mantel wrote: »
    There should be some guides out there that allow you to install steam on the SSD and have the games reside on the other drive, a handy feature I might take advantage of if I want to have more than one or two games available to play.
    you can change that in steams settings you can have change where the download and install folders go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

ScumLord wrote: »
    you can change that in steams settings you can have change where the download and install folders go to.

I wasn't aware this could be done, and I can't see it in settings anywhere. Link/proof, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I wasn't aware this could be done, and I can't see it in settings anywhere. Link/proof, etc.?

Move everything in your steam folder to a different drive, delete everything in there other than steam.exe and your steamapps folder, open steam, it will update, and all downloads from there in will end up in the new location.

EDIT: From the mouth of valve

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-TDLC-0426
    1. Log out and exit Steam
    2. Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
    3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
    4. Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
    5. Launch Steam
    6. Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
    7. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Move everything in your steam folder to a different drive, delete everything in there other than steam.exe and your steamapps folder, open steam, it will update, and all downloads from there in will end up in the new location.

That's moving Steam though, not changing the install directory from within Steam. From what I know you have to move Steam you can't put the Steam exe in one drive and have games install in another.

Advertisement