Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60gb SSD enough for a gaming pc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

nesf wrote: »
    That's moving Steam though, not changing the install directory from within Steam. From what I know you have to move Steam you can't put the Steam exe in one drive and have games install in another.

Hardly an issue though.

I never install anything to my OS drive personally, so not an issue for me. Its a practice most people should observe if you have an OS and a storage drive.

OS drive only for OS & drivers, storage drive for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hardly an issue though.

I never install anything to my OS drive personally, so not an issue for me. Its a practice most people should observe if you have an OS and a storage drive.

OS drive only for OS & drivers, storage drive for everything else.

Sure, I'd be the same but the point made was:
    There should be some guides out there that allow you to install steam on the SSD and have the games reside on the other drive, a handy feature I might take advantage of if I want to have more than one or two games available to play.

I agree, its a bit silly. Any other program that downloads files has the option to choose where they store them, from download managers, to even the crappyness that is Origin.

I agree, its a bit silly. Any other program that downloads files has the option to choose where they store them, from download managers, to even the crappyness that is Origin.

Yup, extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's not what he was asking. He wants to install Steam somewhere, and having games (some or all, I'm not sure) on another drive. AFAIK, this can't be done*.

*Unless you want to start using junction points or something, but I don't know how Steam would handle this, as some files would still be in the common folder, necessary for certain games to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

junction points work well at that. I don't fully understand it or use them, but NTMK uses them to move steam games around depending on which games hes playing and it works well. you don't have the problem with app data because as far as windows cares its still on your C drive which is the beauty of it.

EDIT:

for the annoying problem of stuff automatically installing to your SSD without prompting you, you can do a regedit that changes your default installation drive. google is your friend.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's not what he was asking. He wants to install Steam somewhere, and having games (some or all, I'm not sure) on another drive. AFAIK, this can't be done*.

*Unless you want to start using junction points or something, but I don't know how Steam would handle this, as some files would still be in the common folder, necessary for certain games to work.

No, not exactly, but the end result is the same - freeing up space on the OS drive.

It only takes a minute to do, and to the end user, everything is exactly the same, but games stored on the storage drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Doesn't steam give you the option initially to install it where you want to? This would have the same result as just moving to a different drive. I've never had it on the C-Drive so it must give you the option.

You can move the sub folders for the individual games using junction points as Serephucus/TB points out and this program will make it easy for you.
    http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover/

Monotype wrote: »

That is an absolutely kick-ass little app!

You can move the sub folders for the individual games using junction points as Serephucus/TB points out and this program will make it easy for you.

Thank you very much. :)

Edit: Bah doesn't work with Skyrim on my machine for some reason. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Someone pointed me to SteamTool before, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for its reliability. The guy who pointed me to it says it works well though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Nice one, thanks Monotype.

Wonder how much hassle it would be to have a game or two on the SSD and the rest on the HDD. I'll have a good play around once the SSD arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Have a 160GB SSD for OS and 3DS Max, everything fits fine.
    Steam folder and other progs go on a WD Black SATAIII which more than does the trick. Have a slower 2TB drive for movies, music etc.

Could easily do without the 2TB drive if I burnt things to disk more often, and I could do without the SSD. Having enough space on the faster HDD is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Anybody know if ssd prices are going to fall at all? Thinking of buying a 128gb for my hp but they're just so expensive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I doubt we will see anything drastic pricing wise.

Nothing out there that would make it faster or bigger. Still huge demand and reletively new thing in pc world.

128gb is not that much. You ca get one for 150eu ish? Well worth it for what it is.

Actually for the M4, it's closer to €170-€180, but you can get SF3 drives for around that, yeah.

Unlikely that we'll see much drop any time soon. I'd say demand is good with hard drives being so dear.

I haven't heard of any big releases on the horizon so not much pressure there.

It wouldn't be in any manufacturer's interest to cut prices by a lot as the others would follow and everyone would be worse off (apart from the consumer). They don't make huge margins on the drives anyway and it's likely that the ones using the sandforce controllers need to make some money back with all the returns and problems.

A few months down the road, hard drive pricing should be back to normal and we may see a new series of HDDs. Demand for SSDs might drop off and with a price decrease accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Anybody know if ssd prices are going to fall at all? Thinking of buying a 128gb for my hp but they're just so expensive:(
    I asked the same question before Christmas and Mono gave an answer that was dead on. So I would listen to what he is saying now again.

On the other hand the Crucial M4 is now €2.59 cheaper than it was before Christmas!! :O

I found dabs to be the cheapest by far(ish) for a Crucial M4.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-128gb-m4-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7GL1.html?refs=56350000-50090&src=3

Okay, think i'm going to purchase a crucial m4 because from lurking around the pc building and upgrading forum they seem to be best and most reliable:pfrom dabs they're even cheaper than amazon! it wouldn't be worth ordering from hwvs just for an ssd would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Probably not, unless it was +€30 cheaper.

Also Steam Mover, in case it hasn't been mentioned.
    Installed Steam + games on my 250GB HDD and moved Skyrim over to my SSD to get crazy fast load times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

There is two on hwvs
    €157.99
    €172.19
    Adding €30 to that neither of them come near dabs price.

I checked every site I could think of when I was looking and the only way I could beat dabs price was to buy from America/Canada but you'd get screwed on import duties if you do that. So if you know someone travelling from America/Canada you might get it cheaper if they buy one and carry it over, other than that, dabs will be very hard to beat on price, when you consider shipping/import duties/VAT.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    There is two on hwvs
    €157.99
    €172.19
    Adding €30 to that neither of them come near dabs price.

I checked every site I could think of when I was looking and the only way I could beat dabs price was to buy from America/Canada but you'd get screwed on import duties if you do that. So if you know someone travelling from America/Canada you might get it cheaper if they buy one and carry it over, other than that, dabs will be very hard to beat on price, when you consider shipping/import duties/VAT.
    my aunt is going to new york at the end of march.. but dont think its really worth the hassle she wouldn't have much of a clue about computer hardware:p

think it would make a massive difference to a hp g61 ?

They'll be inching their way very slowly down. Looking at the prices now, they're back around to what they were before the hard drive shortage (after generally increasing a little). If it's big drops we're talking about like €10, you'd be looking at 3-4 months spread across small decrements. Nothing much happening to give it a big drop.

Here's graphs of the 64 & 128 pricing on amazon.co.uk
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Crucial-CT064M4SSD2-64GB-M4-SSD/product/B004W2JKWG
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Crucial-CT128M4SSD2-128GB-M4-SSD/product/B004W2JKZI

If you had someone going to the US, you could look up the item on best buy or whatever, print it out and tell the to get what's on the page. You might want to add restrictions such as not buying if the price has increased by $10. Also watch out for tax which may be added afterwards. Some states has low/no tax on computer parts although I don't know if this would apply to the retailers.

It would certainly make a big difference in a laptop - fast boots and all your programs open very fast. It's likely though that it only has SATA 3Gbps so you wouldn't be getting the best out of it in terms of sequential speeds.

anybody know what speed this board supports?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RYFKkVBbJb1H5t1ca60mleI

SATA-II 3.0Gb/s

You'd still get the best feature which is fast access but unfortunately you wouldn't be getting full speeds when reading large amounts of information. It depends on how you use the drive. You could still reuse the drive down the road later. Alternatively, you could stay on the lookout for good value SATA II drives or buy from people upgrading to 6Gbps drives. BTW, '6Gbps' isn't the actual speed, more of a speed limit.

SATA-II 3.0Gb/s

You'd still get the best feature which is fast access but unfortunately you wouldn't be getting full speeds when reading large amounts of information. It depends on how you use the drive. You could still reuse the drive down the road later. Alternatively, you could stay on the lookout for good value SATA II drives or buy from people upgrading to 6Gbps drives. BTW, '6Gbps' isn't the actual speed, more of a speed limit.
    yeah i get what ya mean man. Think i'll buy anyway can always re-use in something else as you said, wouldn't make sense buying a sata II driveby the looks of things,I saw one on adverts for similiar money to the crucial m4. probably will be building a new pc or getting a newer laptop before the end of the year anyway:).
    thanks for the info everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hey Guys,
    So I like many people have been caught trying to build a new pc in the hdd shortage, which has caused me serious problems as I was hoping to build this pc on the cheap. I have roughly €100 to spend on some form of storage drive
    ( which in itself is too much to be paying on storage IMO[on a budget] but anyway..).

My question is: Am I as well off buy an overpriced hdd now for something that will be half price or less in a few months, or buy a 60gb ssd and buy a hdd when they're cheap again? is 60gb enough? (my current steam folder is 80gb by itself, but with a heap of stuff I don't play installed)

All opinions welcome, but I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has/ had a 60gb ssd in their gaming rig.

And BTW, I'm fully sold on the benefits of SSd's and I think they're great, but just wanted to know is it worth it in my case! Thanks :)

i'd advise you to invest a lil more and get an 120gb drive just to be sure

there is one ocz 120gb sata 3.0gb/s for €120 http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11199755/art/ocz/vertex-plus-series-2-5-in.html

or an ocz 90gb sata 6.0gb/s for €125 but its twice as fast as the 120gb one http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10816091/art/ocz/agility-3-series-solid-st.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I bought a 60gb SSD 2 weeks ago and usin it for program's and gaming (until I can save up for a large Sata HDD)

60 is loads for programs and windows, and temporarily for gaming. Well that's what I'm doing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I bought a 60gb SSD 2 weeks ago and usin it for program's and gaming (until I can save up for a large Sata HDD)

60 is loads for programs and windows, and temporarily for gaming. Well that's what I'm doing :)

Thats what I did too for about a month.
    I just kept watching adverts for a good priced 1TB HDD and I was fine with waiting until then.
    Although it did get annoying as I was without a large HDD over the Steam Christmas Sales so even though I continued buying games because of how cheap they were, I couldn't play them :pac:

Advertisement