Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"though I still haven’t managed to get prints"

• 13-12-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Irish Times - How I fell in love with iPhotography

"though I still haven't managed to get prints"

*sigh*

This is a problem. Well not a *problem* albeit maybe a first world one, but there is something in pulling a parcel of prints out of the cupboard, the attic, from under the bed, or off the shelf, an immersing yourself that is just immensely enjoyable. Getting lost in treasure for hours with no other purpose than simply to remember. It is no wonder that so many people, after their family, would save their photos from their house if it were burning.

Love photography. Do more prints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Couldn't agree more. A photo is one of the very few things that only ever increases in value as it ages. No matter how crap the pic is, whats in the background etc, it triggers memories!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i saw elsewhere

a photograph is only a photograph when its printed, until then its just an image

i do agree do more prints :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wouldnt it be great if you could print from an iphone to alittle polaroid type printer - not sure if it already exists ? kerching

it does barry. infact there are even companies that will make you a photobook from your iphone pics etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

thebaz wrote: »
    wouldnt it be great if you could print from an iphone to alittle polaroid type printer - not sure if it already exists ? kerching

it does and I have one.
    polaroid make it and it is called a pogo. its a thermal printer too, so you don't have to buy ink cartridges.

picture quality is decent but not exactly 4000dpi, its a great toy for 50€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

In the 'old' days (15 years ago) people paid a lot to print photos, looked at them maybe once or twice and then put them away.
    It was expensive but there was an obvious joy, excitement to seeing what your pictures turned out like.

I think people don't print because
    a. they've seen the photo on their camera
    b. they've seen the photo on their laptop/comupter
    c. there's no major excitement in printing them off becuase of a and b
    d. in general photos don't get hung up so what's the point in printing them people think.

Nowdays printing is very easy, cheap and quick. You can pop into your local Tesco, pharmacy and print off straight from your memory card.

What could be interesting if people want the excitement of printing back is cover your camera screen so you don't see the photo, take photos and print them off (better still get someone else to do it).
    Obviously I wouldn't do this all the time but it could be fun, especially if the photos are from a 'gathering'/party etc.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have some paper for that looking for a good home, if you want it?
    mawk wrote: »
    thebaz wrote: »

it does and I have one.
    polaroid make it and it is called a pogo. its a thermal printer too, so you don't have to buy ink cartridges.

picture quality is decent but not exactly 4000dpi, its a great toy for 50€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

sineadw wrote: »

Are they any good, i just bought one for my wee sister for xmas.

I agree in terms of prints though, there's nothing better than recieving a batch of prints through the mail. They seem to become a lot more "real".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Got a major dose of sentimentality over the weekend... took some old film gear from college days out from storage to re-home, didn't think I'd care about passing it on.

Memories came flooding back of shots taken of people long gone, the prints and negs remain. Don't feel like that about any of my digital gear or raw files, being one step further removed from the creation process seems to have taken something from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dinneenp wrote: »
    I think people don't print because
    a. they've seen the photo on their camera
    b. they've seen the photo on their laptop/comupter
    c. there's no major excitement in printing them off becuase of a and b
    d. in general photos don't get hung up so what's the point in printing them people think.
    IMO, it's because of A and B, people no longer have to print the picture to see the picture.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »

Are they any good, i just bought one for my wee sister for xmas.

I agree in terms of prints though, there's nothing better than recieving a batch of prints through the mail. They seem to become a lot more "real".

I have no idea tbh. Long story :) you want the paper?

And the only thing better than getting prints in the post is making them yourself :D

or going to a pro to get them :D:D:D:D:D

If you have good photo paper; how much do you want for it?

But not the cheap photo paper. My Epson 700 gets jammed on the cheap photo paper, and only prints the good photo paper, and/or Epson photo paper. It's driven me up the wall after a few hours on many occasion when trying to print out stuff with it (this is probably why I print pictures myself so little).

the_syco wrote: »
    If you have good photo paper; how much do you want for it?

But not the cheap photo paper. My Epson 700 gets jammed on the cheap photo paper, and only prints the good photo paper, and/or Epson photo paper. It's driven me up the wall after a few hours on many occasion when trying to print out stuff with it (this is probably why I print pictures myself so little).

No sorry, this is specific paper for the little pogo printer :) My epson paper is staying firmly put!

No sorry, this is specific paper for the little pogo printer :) My epson paper is staying firmly put!
    Ah. No worries. But whilst on the subject, where do you get your Epson paper? Any good deals about?

Advertisement