Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

GerB40 wrote: »
    I just found this thread and I'm delighted I did. I never played it until around three weeks ago and a friend warned me to play it on hard. Hard wasn't too bad so I'm playing it now on grounded. Fúck me it's next to impossible.. But I like to get my moneys worth out of a game so I ain't complaining..

The story isn't at all what I expected from a "zombie" game. The infected, though a complete pain in the arse, are really just a plot device for a beautiful, heartbreaking story. Even though Joel seems like a complete bollox to Ellie sometimes, the prologue pretty much justifies why he acts the way he does. The ending is beautiful too.
    I didn't understand why he lied the first time I saw it but I get it now. Humanity is fúcked and whether there's infected or not, the damage is done. All he has left is Ellie and the knowledge that his morals justified his actions. He found the peace of mind he's been looking for since his daughter died.
    Games don't have such powerful storylines anymore.

Once I have grounded (and maybe grounded +) completed I'll be giving multiplayer a go. I hear good things about it so doubtless I'll be looking for advice so I don't get destroyed for being a noob..

Well said. Literally just finished my 3rd replay last night... a mix of grounded and hard (literally found parts too difficult without the listen mode). The ending really hit me this time. It's so masterfully done, the tiny attention to detail such as the body movements etc in the last scene are unreal.
    The little conflict between the two characters before settling with each other's answers is amazing.

Might be worth spoiler tagging your OP tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

.ak wrote: »
    Well said. Literally just finished my 3rd replay last night... a mix of grounded and hard (literally found parts too difficult without the listen mode). The ending really hit me this time. It's so masterfully done, the tiny attention to detail such as the body movements etc in the last scene are unreal.
    The little conflict between the two characters before settling with each other's answers is amazing.

Might be worth spoiler tagging your OP tho!

I didn't even think about spoilering my comment, too late now.. Shyte, I hope it's cryptic enough not to give too much away.. But yeah, even tiny things like eye movements and shoulder shrugs replacing actual words make a great difference. In real life you can tell emotions through peoples eyes and body movements, The Last of Us uses this magnificently..

Finally got around to playing the Left Behind dlc. Brilliant, the character development takes another step, it truly is a masterful bit of story telling. The connection between Ellie and her friend is portrayed so strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

.ak wrote: »
    Finally got around to playing the Left Behind dlc. Brilliant, the character development takes another step, it truly is a masterful bit of story telling. The connection between Ellie and her friend is portrayed so strongly.

Possibly my favourite part of the game, don't think it even needed the combat sequences but I suppose they were put in to beef it up. It still gets me just thinking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Right, so the 4th / 5th time I'm trying to get back into TLOU.

I've just got past the part where we get a car with help from Joels mate, and then get smashed into by some bus and we are trying to get to a bridge.

My questions ,

Do I have much much longer left in the game ?
    Are upgrades REALLY that important ? ...they seem a bit tacked on tbh.

Some of the sections with clickers and people who can see are extremely frustrating, the game still hasn't gripped me like it did everyone else. But I am trying as obviously everyone else likes it for some reason, so I'm waiting for that moment to hit me.

The story is good, just the shooting parts drive me up the wall, as I never really enjoyed any kind of shooting using a controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Do I have much much longer left in the game?
    You're only about a quarter of the way through.

Concentrate on weapon sway and health for the skill upgrades. For the weapon upgrades holsters are a must and I like to get reload speed increase and magazine capacity for the weapons.

What difficulty are you on?

Evade wrote: »
    You're only about a quarter of the way through.

Concentrate on weapon sway and health for the skill upgrades. For the weapon upgrades holsters are a must and I like to get reload speed increase and magazine capacity for the weapons.

What difficulty are you on?

I couldn't tell ye, just got past the part with the 2 brothers, they're no longer with me. Was more enjoyable due to lack of clickers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I couldn't tell ye, just got past the part with the 2 brothers, they're no longer with me. Was more enjoyable due to lack of clickers :D
    Clickers can be easy once you get used to them. Sneaking behind and shiving them is the best way to get rid of them. If one is running towards you you can throw a brick at them which stuns them and lets you do melee attacks on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The holsters are a must. Most people get them super early but I've watched playthroughs where some people just "miss" crafting them until late in the game which is a mistake so get them if you havent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Some of the sections with clickers and people who can see are extremely frustrating, the game still hasn't gripped me like it did everyone else. But I am trying as obviously everyone else likes it for some reason, so I'm waiting for that moment to hit me.

Well, if you haven't taken to the game at this point, then it probably not going to happen. Most of us were invested after that exciting intro sequence, and you're much further in.

• Advertisement

Right, so the 4th / 5th time I'm trying to get back into TLOU.

I've just got past the part where we get a car with help from Joels mate, and then get smashed into by some bus and we are trying to get to a bridge.

My questions ,

Do I have much much longer left in the game ?

The story is good, just the shooting parts drive me up the wall, as I never really enjoyed any kind of shooting using a controller.

Not all games are for everyone. One of my favourite games is GTA San Andreas but I can't stand GTA V. There's nothing wrong with not liking something everyone else seems to like. If I were you I'd just buy another game..

GerB40 wrote: »
    Not all games are for everyone. One of my favourite games is GTA San Andreas but I can't stand GTA V. There's nothing wrong with not liking something everyone else seems to like. If I were you I'd just buy another game..

Ahh I'm enjoying the story, just the gameplay is very much like Uncharted (which is to be expected obviously) ...and I had played through all 3 of them just before starting this.

No, I didn't get holster upgrade yet, I'll get that next so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I just finished it there and I advise upgrading the gun with the sights so you get the armour piercing bullets as it it comes in handy for the end game

also I upgraded my shiv so that it doesn't break but by the time i did that I never faced any more clickers :rolleyes::D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ahh I'm enjoying the story, just the gameplay is very much like Uncharted (which is to be expected obviously) ...and I had played through all 3 of them just before starting this.

Just lower the difficulty to easy and enjoy the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Are you playing it stealthily or do you find yourself in lots of firefights? Cos honestly I didn't find the gameplay similar to Uncharted at all, but I tried to conserve my ammo whenever possible which would be the opposite to how I played Uncharted.

Are you playing it stealthily or do you find yourself in lots of firefights? Cos honestly I didn't find the gameplay similar to Uncharted at all, but I tried to conserve my ammo whenever possible which would be the opposite to how I played Uncharted.

Some of the most recent sections were pretty firefight orientated.
    The sewers when they all rush you, and making your way to the sniper in the house

Some of the most recent sections were pretty firefight orientated.
    The sewers when they all rush you, and making your way to the sniper in the house

When you're with Sam? I got so sick of trying to do that the "right" way I eventually just ran through to the end and met up with Ellie and Henry. It took a good few attempts but I saved a load of ammo which is essential for the next part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I played Uncharted 2 right after TLOU recently and I felt right at home with some of the sneaking around, cover-shooting and climbing/surveying the environment. So I think there's some similarities, although I wouldn't overstate them.

So I finally finished the Last of Us last night.
    I wasn't disappointed, there were some very good moments.
    I definitely enjoyed the 2nd half of the game a lot more than the first, and I was happy with the ending.

I can see why there was so much acclaim for the voice acting from the main duo.

But outside of that I don't know why everyone has their pants up in a bunch calling it the greatest game ever, yeah the story was good, and the acting was great and the atmosphere was very good but the gameplay wasn't revolutionary or anything, it was solid, and the inventory/upgrade system was a bit crap, as there wasn't a need for many things or upgrades (I think I played on Hard btw)

Did it receive such universal praise on PS3 because there were no other amazing games at the time on the console ?

Anyways, was a good game, don't think I'd play through it again though.

Also, I was slightly annoyed at Ellie being such a d1ck to the guy with the deer after they save each others lives, he let her go and everything even though he knew she killed his mates in the past. Granted you find out a dirty secret later, but at that point you don't know and she is still a b1tch to him.
    I enjoyed playing the parts as Elly, but it was a bit unbelievable being Rambo the whole time, and how she has the unbreakable stealth kill Knife....whereas Joel is making fall-apart-in-1-go shivs all game (LOOK IN A DRAWER IN A HOUSE FOR A KNIFE DUDE !!)

Also, I was slightly annoyed at Ellie being such a d1ck to the guy with the deer after they save each others lives, he let her go and everything even though he knew she killed his mates in the past. Granted you find out a dirty secret later, but at that point you don't know and she is still a b1tch to him.

I think that might be the most.....unique interpretation of that encounter I've ever read. :P

You're right! David is the hero of this tale. Just a good samaritan trying to help a young girl make her way in the world. Ungrateful strumpet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

Right so...i purchased the last of us about a year ago and have played through to the part where joel gets hung and starts shooting the zombies upside down...

I find this game to be very boring and mundane and the controls are very clunky and im surprised it has got rave reviews

Love theese types of games normally...but just cant get into it..

Does it pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You're still only starting really. When you go to the next city is when it moves up a gear. Best game on the PS3 imo, with Uncharted 2 a close second.

If you are not enjoying it by now then the game is just not for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's definitely a bit of a lull in the game a bit later on but you're nowhere near that. It picks up again soon after.

The game's acts are split up into the seasons. I found it best played slowly taking a few weeks break between each season. The story is excellent, the gameplay is a bit samey.

The controls aren't FPS tight but they are pretty true to the characters they protray. Joel is just some guy. Combat is often frantically clumsy and you'll easily **** up many an encounter.

People have different tastes I suppose. The game play isn't ground breaking but let's be honest, that's not why it gets rave reviews. It's just the whole package - suspense, solid engine and gameplay, amazing attention to detail and atmosphere (the animations in game are still the best I've seen) and ofcourse easily the best story told in any game, ever. On that basis I'm not sure what lull there is in the game, at any point? But maybe it just hit all the right spots for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I keep hearing the gameplay is average but I loved the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tok9 wrote: »
    I keep hearing the gameplay is average but I loved the gameplay.

I loved the hand to hand combat, as it feels brutal and raw. It's all a real struggle and you feel every hit. The fact that a head shot is a head shot and an instant drop I also like, not like most games where multiple headshots are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If the gameplay wasn't that good or just average I wouldn't have been playing the MP for so long afterwards.

Only issue now is there are so many games I want to play I've little time for MP.

So Nolan North accidentally confirmed a sequel is in the works!

Huzzah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I think it was bullsh1t that we had to pay for a higher difficulty level, grounded mode should be free to ps3 users who aren't arsed getting the ps4 remastered. Anyone finished the game on grounded?? Might give it a go just to say i completed all modes.

• Advertisement

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I think it was bullsh1t that we had to pay for a higher difficulty level, grounded mode should be free to ps3 users who aren't arsed getting the ps4 remastered. Anyone finished the game on grounded?? Might give it a go just to say i completed all modes.

Wasn't Grounded mode on the PS3? It's the best incentive to replay the game in my opinion, seems a bit unfair that PS3 users didn't get this. And yeah, I finished it on Grounded. The magic vision Loel had on easier modes but didn't have on grounded should never have been in it at all. Of course it's handy but it would've made the whole game more difficult if you had to sit in a spot for a while working out enimies routes and using bricks and bottles to distract enemies.

Not complaining, it's a true masterpiece with a marvellous story but no "magic vision" at all would've put a lot of extra hours onto the first few plays..

Advertisement