Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Whens the demo from GoW going to be playable does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Big Knox wrote: »
    Whens the demo from GoW going to be playable does anyone know?

tomorrow apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had a look a the trophies, what's with all the +s on the difficulty levels. There's 2 of each difficulty but one has a + and both earn a silver or Gold.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    tomorrow apparently

Oh nice, can't wait to try it. Definitely my most anticipated console game since Journey!

Varik wrote: »
    Had a look a the trophies, what's with all the +s on the difficulty levels. There's 2 of each difficulty but one has a + and both earn a silver or Gold.

It looks as if the difficulties are easy, medium, hard and survivor. Clearing one will unlock the same difficulty with +. I'm guessing that unlocking Survivor + will unlock + in the easier ones too. Further guessing, I'd say game + is a harder version with no 'Listening' and enemies have different patterns.
    Big Knox wrote: »
    Oh nice, can't wait to try it. Definitely my most anticipated console game since Journey!

I really need to play Journey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where have ye pre ordered from?I was thinking I'd pre order with gamesnash.

Where have ye pre ordered from?I was thinking I'd pre order with gamesnash.

Haven't pre-ordered yet, waiting to see what comes my way for the ol' birthday :D

Good price on Gamesnash tho for 47.99 euro

http://gamesnash.ie/ps3-all-new-games-c-58_28/the-last-of-us-ps3-pre-order-with-lowest-price-guarantee-p-2759.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I could do the gamestop trade in trick and get it for 30.... or go for the Ellie edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I find it strange that I just can't get excited for this game. From what I've seen I just think the game isn't for me. Looks like a lot of stealth and a scarcity of resources like ammo etc... I loved the Uncharted series and I'm sure the characters, story, environments and graphics will all be amazing. I just wish the type of game it looks like was more to my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I find it strange that I just can't get excited for this game. From what I've seen I just think the game isn't for me. Looks like a lot of stealth and a scarcity of resources like ammo etc... I loved the Uncharted series and I'm sure the characters, story, environments and graphics will all be amazing. I just wish the type of game it looks like was more to my liking.

I'm kinda the same. I can see myself getting stuck in a room somewhere with 10 enemies outside and only 2 bullets in my gun or something, I'll not be able to take them all out and I'll give up.

It's going to get ridiculous reviews though, everyone will rant and rave about how good it is, and I'll probably buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It's almost the exact opposite of Uncharted and that's why I'm interested in it. I felt like I was ploughing through almost the same game 3 times in a row with Uncharted, coldly committing mass murder against literally hundreds of guys in a totally linear fashion and getting less surprised each time Drake grabs onto something and it breaks. The whole thing felt horribly inconsequential and there was little consistency between the story of the game and the story of the cut-scenes, and the story really did suffer from the writing process of "set-piece first, then story to fit that" imo.

This game looks like it will address all those problems. It looks like a rare game where you actually have to be wise with resource and where shooting a person actually holds some weight. It also looks like you have the chance to be a lot more creative in how you approach enemies than "here's an area with a bunch of guys, take cover at a chest-high wall and shoot them all one by one".

Obviously I haven't played it yet and maybe it will just turn into a regular shooting game with a lead character who has enough durability and skill to be realistically considered super-human but this is the impression I get from the game so far.

I can't see the game getting bad reviews but I wouldn't necessarily bank on a 90+ Metascore either. We'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Empire released a review of it and have since removed it. This is the story about he review from The Gaming Liberty. Called it a masterpiece and the game of this generation.

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2013/05/masterpiece-game-of-the-generation-empires-first-review-heaps-unanimous-praise-on-the-last-of-us/

Despite The Last of Us actually being on international review embargo until next week, someone over at Empire didn’t get the memo and went ahead and published their review anyway. Now, while we don’t usually reference reviews by other game and game related outlets on TGL, it would be remiss of us to not reference this first The Last of Us review, not least because it refers to Naughty Dog’s latest as “easy contender for the best game of this console generation” and possibly gaming’s “Citizen Kane moment”.
    Empire’s review (since removed) awarded the game a perfect score of 5/5 and heaped unanimous praise on the title;
    “The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming’s Citizen Kane moment,” reads the review, “a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades.”
    The Last of Us releases June 14th exclusively to PlayStation 3. If you have a copy of God of War: Ascension, you should be able to play a demo of The Last of Us later today.
    Excited much?
    Here’s the review in full. It’s spoiler free.
    “A fungal plague has devastated humanity, reducing the infected to brutal, mis-shapen wrecks. Two decades on from the outbreak, you play Joel, an emotionally haunted survivor as he guides the young Ellie to a safehouse on the other side of wasteland America. On the surface, the set-up could be pitched as ‘Ico meets The Walking Dead’ but the execution makes it so much more than that.
    The world you’ll be travelling is fraught with danger – more often from other humans than from the Infected – but is unerringly beautiful. Nature has reclaimed urban spaces, and the results are stunning. Colour and lighting change with the seasons as the story progresses, and characters’ appearances become worn and tired with time. This is easily the best-looking game on PS3.
    The gameplay itself could easily have been a disappointment – broadly a mix of stealth and action, with innumerable sections of waist-high cover shooting, it doesn’t immediately offer anything new. Played with a shooter mindset, it doesn’t, in fact. However, it’s in avoiding combat when possible, incapacitating foes and only killing when absolutely, unavoidably necessary that the game stands apart. You’ll pause, consider options, listen, always aware that a mis-timed charge into action will prove fatal. You’re not playing a superhero, or even anyone as tough as Nathan Drake from Naughty Dog’s earlier Uncharted games – you’re playing a human, as fragile and vulnerable as any of us. When you are forced to fight, it’s short, sharp, shocking, and the game treats violence with almost disgust – necessary evils.
    At the heart of the game is the almost parental relationship between Joel and his charge, one brought to life through the best vocal performances yet heard in a video game. The production quality of the game is spectacular but the actors are working at another level. The score, the first Brokeback Mountain’s Gustavo Santolalla has composed for games, is also superb, ratcheting up the tension and underscoring the solitude of the world through use of silence as much as bold orchestral moments. There are many cinematic influences at work throughout the game, but it avoids feeling like an interactive movie.
    The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming’s Citizen Kane moment – a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades.”
    Thanks to Videogamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cool! Though I rarely put much faith in Empire's reviews. After all they gave Goldeneye a bad review back when it was released. They even acknowledged that was a mistake in one of their big anniversary issues years later.

And I rarely have faith in their movie reviews. After all, my 3 least favourite movies got 3 stars, 4 stars and 5 stars from them respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Cool! Though I rarely put much faith in Empire's reviews. After all they gave Goldeneye a bad review back when it was released. They even acknowledged that was a mistake in one of their big anniversary issues years later.

And I rarely have faith in their movie reviews. After all, my 3 least favourite movies got 3 stars, 4 stars and 5 stars from them respectively.

They still make it sound amazing.. Now I want it even more :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Demo is live now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

132MB initial download.

Screen%20shot%202012-01-18%20at%205.28.23%20PM.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it anygood?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Otacon wrote: »
    132MB initial download.

Does that mean the demo is on the disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The initial download is only a portal to the actual download. The full download is closer to 2Gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT ITS LIKE BEFORE I DIE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Playthrough of the demo on Eurogamer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The initial download is only a portal to the actual download. The full download is closer to 2Gb.

Indeed it is. After installing the 132MB file, it opens and then downloads the rest.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT ITS LIKE BEFORE I DIE

I thought it was really good. The fighting is frenetic but fluid; it doesn't feel like it jumps from one canned animation to another but rather that the tussle is changing dynamically. The exploration is similar to Uncharted. Never overly taxing but the section is well laid out so you know exactly where you need to go at all times. Visually, it is stunning but the sound design is where its at. F U clickers! F U!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    132MB initial download.

Screen%20shot%202012-01-18%20at%205.28.23%20PM.png

The last of us is the first game to have a feature that will be part of all PS4 games when that releases, even the full game won't require a full download.

You'll download the main part of the game and then the first few levels with the rest downloading while the network is idle. The Last of Us full game is said to need around 50% of the download to be playable but PS4 games will only need a much smaller part.

Remember the easter egg in Uncharted 3 below? Turns out Naught Dog had been expecting to announce TLOU before Uncharted 3 released but the reveal was delayed and they forgot to take out thee newspaper. IGN have a story about the devs finding out about it neogaf, I think, and realising their mistake haha

uncharted%203%20newspaper.jpg

Enjoyed the demo, it's just a short introduction to the characters and combat. A word of advice, play the demo on Hard or else you will have a very short experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Is the demo on the store? can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is the demo on the store? can't seem to find it.

You have to have the GOW ascension game to be able to play the demo iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If any Dublin people badly want to play the demo, I could possibly lend my GOW ascension :p

Mc Love wrote: »
    You have to have the GOW ascension game to be able to play the demo iirc

Damn :).

Ah well its only what,less than 2 wks away:)?

• Advertisement

Multiplayer details found from the demo code. Not sure how the training work but i does sound different from the generic run and gun MP.
    SURVIVE 12 WEEKS
    “A small group of Infected have been spotted heading in our direction. Improve the training of the clan to fight off the Infected and attract new members.”
    “You gained [A] clan members by fighting off the Infected attack.”
    “You were able to partially improve the training of your clan. You gained some clan members by fighting off the attack.
    “You were able to dramatically improve the training of your clan before the Infected attacked. As a result, you gained the maximum new clan members. Marauders have been raiding camps in the area. Improve the training of the group to fight off the Marauders and attract new members.”
    Now check out the Multiplayer Summary:
    • New feature called “Clans”
    • The clan-based system and recruiting is essential to survive hordes of infected (possibly AI or player based clans)
    • Possibly free-roam / Big open maps
    • You can Craft weapons / Items in Multiplayer from all the supplies you gather
    • The Multiplayer has certain random events (sort of like RDR) that happen in your playthrough. Some of which can threaten or help your clan
    • The Multiplayer has mini-missions structured for you like surviving a certain amount of time, etc
    • You can train Clan members (in what way, its still not clear)
    • Depending on how well you train your clan members, you can do rescue missions to free hostages taken during the outbreak
    • You’ll need to gather supplies to survive (your clan can gather supplies too to be well equipped)
    • You can aquire medicines / antibiotics from looting dead bodies throughout your playthrough
    • You have 3 matches to complete a Mission (how this works its still unclear)
    • Uncharted 3-like, Loadouts makes a comback
    • Character Customization possibly back too
    • Crouching makes you more accurate by reducing weapon sway
    • Mission performance determines how many people you gain or lose
    • Mission performance also determines how many One-Use Boosters you earn
    • You can spawn next to your teammates
    • Boosters are back from UC3, but completeely redesigned and works in a colossaly different way (non-spammable and some are one-time use)
    • There might be certain parts of the maps that are contaminated with viruses, you’ll need to search/loot for masks or risk getting infected
    • Your teammates / Clan members can get infected
    Summary (-TLDR):
    “You are in this possibly huge/ free-roam map, filled with hordes of infected. You set camp around the map with clan members (basically spawn points). In this map, exists various multiplayer Missions that you can tackle of which will reward you and your teammates greatly.
    The world is always active, so you have to do your best to get well equipped by looting everything you can find, and crafting the best weapons to prepare for Clickers/Runners invasions. Ammo is limited and stealth is the prime focus.”

Advertisement