Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

'Quarter to three' gave the game it's first "Mixed" review on MetaCritic. 68 positives and 1 mixed. I hate "Quarter to Three"

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

mystic86 wrote: »
    I've been waiting 18 months for this moment... :)

Here we go

I'm jealous

I want it to be tomorrow already :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

traded in bioshock infinite there for 35 store credit in xtravision.........................stack of "the last of us" in its shiny new packets on the floor, at least 50............................. chanced my arm, sure ill buy that game now lad ???? little fecker wouldnt give me a copy ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Im gonna be grinding my teeth in my sleep.

• Advertisement

4 hours in, just got to the part from the trailer where
    Joel gets someones severed arm on his foot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Okay spoilers in. Im unfollowing. HAPPY GAMING ALL! TIS A GLORIOUS DAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

4 hours in, just got to the part from the trailer where
    Joel gets someones severed arm on his foot :)
    When they are pounding on the door and the characters back away its fricking spooky !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Seeing it's the same engine, does it feel like Uncharted? I hate games that feel like their predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Here we go

18 Months???
    I know other pizza joints that promise "40 Minutes or Free"!

Alas, I'll be waiting until tomorrow to pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seeing it's the same engine, does it feel like Uncharted? I hate games that feel like their predecessors.

Yes and No to give a very vague answer !

It is the same engine, it is third person you get into cover and shoot bad guys with a similar mechanic to Uncharted but in saying all that the "game & story" feel nothing like Uncharted. It is far more open and far more mature.

First 4 hours I didn't really notice how different it was but after that it takes on a style of its own. I honestly can't recommend it enough if you like post apocalypse games.

If you liked the book or film The Road you will like this. Naughty dog have said that 28 days later and The Road are major influences.

I'm just over 5 hours in and I just realised not a single trophy has popped for me yet, what about the rest of ye that are playing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There are no progress trophies, just one for finishing it

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Apparently the trophies are fairly trickey, they were saying on the ign podcast that they only unlocked a few by the time they finished the game.

OK so I'm stuck doing the same part over and over and over!!!
    I'm hanging upside down and I need to kill the runners, which is fine, but the clicker - I just can't get the fuc*er!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

ShaneU wrote: »
    There are no progress trophies, just one for finishing it

Good. In a game like this there's nothing worse for breaking immersion than a god damn trophy pop up every 10 minutes.

Loving this so far, won't say much more than that for now!

OK so I'm stuck doing the same part over and over and over!!!
    I'm hanging upside down and I need to kill the runners, which is fine, but the clicker - I just can't get the fuc*er!!

Nevermind, got it in the very next go!!

OK, leaving it there for tonight, have tomorrow booked off so I will resume in the morning! :)

Just over 6 hours in and
    I'm just setting off to find spare parts so Bill can get a car working for me
    ... how does that compare to other peoples pace/progress - sound about right? I'm usually slower than most..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah the trophies are mainly all for the collectables and finishing the game on each difficulty and new game+ modes. There are only 24 which is lowish. I can confidently say I won't be getting a platinum in this with survivor mode. Can't wait for this now.

Nevermind, got it in the very next go!!

OK, leaving it there for tonight, have tomorrow booked off so I will resume in the morning! :)

Just over 6 hours in and
    I'm just setting off to find spare parts so Bill can get a car working for me
    ... how does that compare to other peoples pace/progress - sound about right? I'm usually slower than most..

I'm just at the 6 hour mark now too, I think I was at that section about 2 hours ago so you are definitely taking your time. I've been going slow myself, checking absolutely every inch of each area for supplies so you really must be taking your time!! :P

Are you playing it on hard also? I'm wrecked so hitting the bed and will pick it up tomorrow night.

Yeah the trophies are mainly all for the collectables and finishing the game on each difficulty and new game+ modes. There are only 24 which is lowish. I can confidently say I won't be getting a platinum in this with survivor mode. Can't wait for this now.

I wouldn't say that just yet. Hard has been easy going for the most part so far, granted I'm only 6 hours in but I've only had to re-do some sections once or twice at the most. I expected it to be a lot tougher. Will definitely do a survivor play-through after this!

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    I'm just at the 6 hour mark now too, I think I was at that section about 2 hours ago so you are definitely taking your time. I've been going slow myself, checking absolutely every inch of each area for supplies so you really must be taking your time!! :P

Are you playing it on hard also? I'm wrecked so hitting the bed and will pick it up tomorrow night.

Let me get this right, you got to the point I'm at, playing on normal difficulty after 6 hours, after 4 hours and on hard difficulty?!

What the hell?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

3 or 4 hours in. I can't wait to get an upgraded shiv.
    That room with all the clickers is a nightmare and if they grab you its game over. Would be nice to be able to stab them off you. Did the rest of you open the safe? I cleared them all out so I could.

Having great fun. You feel pretty powerful when you are at full ammo for both your guns, two shivs, a Molotov and an iron bar. And then when the ammo runs out and your shivs and bar is broken........you feel totally helpless. Typical. :P

Also, the bit in the sewer with all the smog where you use the raft.....I have a feeling a missed something down there but I was just so uncomfortable in the water and not being able to see anything....I just legged it out of there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Here we go

But the game was only announce 12 months and 10 days ago :confused:
    Just over 6 hours in and Spoiler: I'm just setting off to find spare parts so Bill can get a car working for me... how does that compare to other peoples pace/progress - sound about right? I'm usually slower than most..

This is exactly where I stopped too, seemed like a good spot to wrap up and head to bed. I played for about 3 or 4 hours last night, although I'm quite slow due to the fact that I try to scour every room for supplies :rolleyes: I must not be as thorough as you though.

First impressions are that this is a very good game. The script, voice acting and graphics are all very good and the gameplay is tight for the most part. The opening sequence in particular is very well done and powerful and is only the second video game ever (after Shadow of the Colossus) that made me want to cry, based on just a few minutes of characterisation. I also have to commend the game for having excellent sound design and feedback when using guns. It's the first game I've ever played where the gunshots sound real and have some solid impact, even if they aren't quite as weighty as I was hoping for. It's not like Uncharted where you can charge at an enemy with a gun and just shrug off the shots to punch him in the face, getting shot knocks Joel back and has some real impact.

I did notice some pretty serious glitches in the game though that I was surprised to see. There was a section in which you have to sneak around stealthily to avoid enemies who have highly sensitive hearing so I spent the section crouched and moving around at a snail's pace. My AI partner didn't do the same though and kept sprinting around from place to place, actually running into one of the enemies more than once. It seems that AI partners can neither alert enemies nor get hurt which is kind of nice in that you don't have to babysit them but is a bit disappointing considering I was just expecting their AI to be good enough to not need the babysitting. There were some glitches too when trying to climb onto a ledge. If I tried to climb up before somebody else, it would be impossible and I would just keep running into it. More of an inconvenience in normal gameplay but very frustrating when being chased by a horde of zombies and Joel won't hop up onto the ledge.

Gameplay isn't quite as revolutionary yet as I was expecting. Near the beginning there was a scene where I saw chest-high walls and knew there was about to be a fight and a lot of the early section involves strangling guards who all stand still and have no line of sight with each other. After that though, it got a bit better with an emphasis on avoiding any confrontation at all if possible. There are parts where a squad of guards or a pack of zombies will be in the area and it's just not viable to try to fight them so you have to slip by which I think is a nice change.

Anyway, looking forward to getting into it again later after work, despite problems above I would definitely still recommend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

It's always the same on release day. Get in to work about now, pop around to Gamestop on Henry street to pick up my pre order around 9 o'clock,then wait the whole day to play it.

Torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

C14N wrote: »
    But the game was only announce 12 months and 10 days ago :confused:

You are way off on that one. there was a trailer at E3 2011. That was two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads, I know it's highly unlikely but did any of ye try the MP yet?

Also, I remember looking at the trophies before and thought it was really weird there were only 24 trophies instead of the usual 50. Looking at them again, they are all collect ALL this, collect ALL that and 8 trophies for clearing it on different difficulties.

Actually really good move from naughty dog to help not break the immersion of the game, I hate the uncharted trophies but they understood this is a very different game than that. Classy move ND.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kirby wrote: »
    You are way off on that one. there was a trailer at E3 2011. That was two years ago.

I thought it was first shown at E3 2012 but I looked it up and found that the first trailer was during the Spike Video Game Awards in November 2011 so I guess that's pretty close to 18 months like the guy I was replying to said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

C14N wrote: »
    I thought it was first shown at E3 2012 but I looked it up and found that the first trailer was during the Spike Video Game Awards in November 2011 so I guess that's pretty close to 18 months like the guy I was replying to said.

Yeah it was supposed to be revealed before Uncharted 3 came out, but the reveal was pushed back. I remember they had left in a newspaper in Uncharted 3 that talked about a fungal outbreak, that was supposed to be an easter egg after the reveal, but Uncharted came out before the reveal and people found it and guessed it was their next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Yeah it was supposed to be revealed before Uncharted 3 came out, but the reveal was pushed back. I remember they had left in a newspaper in Uncharted 3 that talked about a fungal outbreak, that was supposed to be an easter egg after the reveal, but Uncharted came out before the reveal and people found it and guessed it was their next game.

I almost prefer it that way.

Picked up the game this morning. Alas, my job is stopping me from playing it until 4pm today. But then... Oh yes!!!

• Advertisement

Let me get this right, you got to the point I'm at, playing on normal difficulty after 6 hours, after 4 hours and on hard difficulty?!

What the hell?!

The difficulty hasn't really been a factor, I've rarely had to re-do sections I fail more than once but I'm expecting it to ramp up soon with the introduction of the
    human hunters.
    Hey be glad man, the longer you can get out of this the better. :)
    Kirby wrote: »
    3 or 4 hours in. I can't wait to get an upgraded shiv.
    That room with all the clickers is a nightmare and if they grab you its game over. Would be nice to be able to stab them off you. Did the rest of you open the safe? I cleared them all out so I could.

Having great fun. You feel pretty powerful when you are at full ammo for both your guns, two shivs, a Molotov and an iron bar. And then when the ammo runs out and your shivs and bar is broken........you feel totally helpless. Typical. :P

Also, the bit in the sewer with all the smog where you use the raft.....I have a feeling a missed something down there but I was just so uncomfortable in the water and not being able to see anything....I just legged it out of there. :p
    That's the one thing about the game I love. I literally search everywhere and you can then at times feel invincible with all your maxed ammo, multiple shivs and molotovs / nail bombs then 2 minutes later you can come out of an encounter with no health and no supplies left wondering WTF just happened!!

That clicker room I just by passed. I usually use my bow to take out the runners silently so they don't alert the clickers then just creep past the clickers unnoticed. The clickers are a bit of a non issue if you do it this way.

Oh yeah one of the supplement upgrades is the ability to shiv off a clicker before they can bite.

Advertisement