Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

so should I play it online or offline now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Sold out everywhere in Galway. Would places like Extra Vision, Tesco or Smyths get more stock over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ran into clicker from the demo - he killed me :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Playable intro thing was really engrossing. Epic!
    Your username is genius. Love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Just loading it up for the first time, do I download the update? Or is that the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Omg that opening is unreal.......the graphics are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Sold out everywhere in Galway. Would places like Extra Vision, Tesco or Smyths get more stock over the weekend?

Nope. Stores only will get another delivery middle of next week.

Have you tried Argos? I got mine there and you can check online and reserve it if they have stock in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

mutley18 wrote: »
    Just loading it up for the first time, do I download the update? Or is that the problem?

No problems anymore. Glitch has been fixed. Boot her up and play away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Ugh, I caved and bought the digital version that has no resale value. Thought Sony were supposed to be the good guys now?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Getting into multiplayer now. Nice and stealthy. Be good to get a team together. Add me: Shreddedloops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

el dude wrote: »
    Ugh, I caved and bought the digital version that has no resale value. Thought Sony were supposed to be the good guys now?

How are you ment to trade in a digital download anyways. You can't be serious surly.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

I need this game naow

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

LOL I have the game but no Playstation at the moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I have to say I'm very disappointed with this game. Feels more like a bad stealth game than a survival game. The emphasis on restarting checkpoints feels like very bad design to me.

Bout 5 hours in, apart from the very start of the game it's been tedious all the way. Huge letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Watch out for the auto save bug!

In the pause menu 'Autosave in progress' or similar appears and never goes off and theres no way to save or exit to menu.

Just ran into it there. Dont know how much progress I lost yet.

I've been playing this most of the time since I got home from work today at about 3pm and only checked in on Boards now. Thankfully I seem to have missed this completely (but I did install the 1.01 update). I'm glad I made frequent manual saves using new profiles each time, they said I was crazy but I showed em!

Sounds like it's gone now anyway.
    So is it any good and worth all the hype and 10/10 reviews??

A good purchase or one to rent for a week?

Thanks!

Well I don't think it's any of our places to say as a fact that it deserves or doesn't deserve the praise it's gotten. So far, I have to say I think it's a very good game, more because it's unbelievably tense than anything. I'm still shaking now from playing it. It's the kind of game where you have to be very careful because although you might survive a scrape with a few guys, you don't want to make it a habit.

There's loads of loot and stuff just lying around and I usually found myself at max ammo for most of my weapons and supplies but the thing is, even at max you don't have that much. Shotgun can only carry 15 rounds, rifle and bow can carry 8 I think, revolver can carry another 15. Get into a fight with a bunch of guys or infected though and you can burn through all this ammo very quickly and it takes a while to build back up.

I have a hard time calling this game "fun" though because no matter how many bunches of guys I successfully sneak up on and take out, I still feel helpless in the game. There's no feeling of being an unstoppable badass like you would get in COD or Uncharted but at the same time, this is what I was looking for in the game. I like that it manages to stay so intense without being frustratingly difficult (on Normal anyway).
    danthefan wrote: »
    Do enemies tend to drop any loot at all? Is there any reason to kill anyone if I can just avoid them instead?
    cloud493 wrote: »
    I think it depends on what you kill. Humans seem to drop bullets/first aid stuff or supplies, haven't noticed infected dropping anything.

Both of them tend to drop ammo from time to time, but not frequently enough to make shooting everyone you see a good idea. Even when they do have ammo, it's usually only 2-3 bullets. The game definitely wants you to either avoid confrontation where possible or kill them stealthily.

By the way, here's a tip: wherever you can, make sure you take a brick. There's no shortage of them lying around and they're very useful. If you get in a tussle, quickly switch to the brick and you can bash the enemy's head in with just 3 hits which is shorter than even the melee weapons. I love my brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

A clicker came up behind me in a darkened room, as I was plotting how to take out another.....my pants were duly ruined :eek:

Really enjoying it, the little details are amazing...so beautiful :D

The opening is class too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I have to say I'm very disappointed with this game. Feels more like a bad stealth game than a survival game. The emphasis on restarting checkpoints feels like very bad design to me.

Bout 5 hours in, apart from the very start of the game it's been tedious all the way. Huge letdown.

Gotta agree. After the epic opening it completely died. For me, Uncharted 3 nailed the interactive movie by getting mixture of gameplay and movie just right. A few hours in and this feels like a boring episode of The Walking Dead. At the moment it feels like the gameplay is just a sideshow to the movie. Hopefully it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Gotta agree. After the epic opening it completely died. For me, Uncharted 3 nailed the interactive movie by getting mixture of gameplay and movie just right. A few hours in and this feels like a boring episode of The Walking Dead. At the moment it feels like the gameplay is just a sideshow to the movie. Hopefully it gets better.

I think people are naturally now putting this game on to much high expectations that in reality its never gonna live upto

Im enjoying it its a different approach from the all guns blazing action MOVE !! MOVE!! MOVE!!! action we have been geting over the years this laid back story is more engaging for me IMO

biggebruv wrote: »
    Im enjoying it its a different approach from the all guns blazing action MOVE !! MOVE!! MOVE!!! action we have been geting over the years this laid back story is more engaging for me IMO

This 100%. It's refreshing to not being a bad ass killing everything in sight, running around fearless while shooting the crap out of everything that moves with explosions all round. This is tense all the time, you feel helpless and you should be being an average guy up against trained military types and infected. It's a more realistic take on a survival game.

It reminds me of Inslaved in places, it's like a platformer version of this, similar type of setting.

This 100%. It's refreshing to not being a bad ass killing everything in sight, running around fearless while shooting the crap out of everything that moves with explosions all round. This is tense all the time, you feel helpless and you should be being an average guy up against trained military types and infected. It's a more realistic take on a survival game.

It reminds me of Inslaved in places, it's like a platformer version of this, similar type of setting.

I think people have gotten to much used to the resi6 action horror these days sadly and i did love resi6 aswell btw but im actually glad a mainstream kinda horrorish game is taking the slow route even if it gets action heavy later on at least they have nailed it for the 25% iv played so far where as resi6 only had the balls to take it slow and creepy for like 10mins of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

biggebruv wrote: »
    I think people are naturally now putting this game on to much high expectations that in reality its never gonna live upto

Actually, I'm finding the combat incredibly familiar and dated. It reminds me a lot of the very first Splinter Cell and all those stealth clones that came out in the late 90s and early 2000s. Very clumsy and punishing for the wrong reasons. Feels like a big step back.

I have to disagree about the Uncharted thing. Apart from some banter between characters (and then only in the sections where you had a partner) was anything in the way of story told in-game. To me, there seemed to be a total disconnect between the actual game and the story. The rules of the universe being different in cutscenes didn't help. Despite taking several magazines of bullets minutes ago, in the following cutscene, Drake suddenly expects to die if he gets shot. Then there's the fact that Drake is supposed to be this charming, funny character in cutscenes and we switch back to the game and he's a contender for the title of "literally the worst mass-murderer in history" without even pausing to wonder if a bit of treasure is really worth it.

Uncharted was a fun game to shoot a bunch of guys in but I really don't think it was a good piece of storytelling. The Last of Us treats violence a lot more seriously. Sure, Joel kills a load of guys too (not as many though from what I've played so far) but usually only one or two at a time and it's so visceral that it's almost off-putting and seems like a necessary evil more than something fun and Joel is a character that can match that all the time. Watching him slam a guy's head against a wall isn't pleasant and they nailed stuff like guys struggling while they're strangled or begging for life if they give up.

I don't think it has nailed game storytelling because there's still a lot of exposition through cutscenes but I do think it's a big step up from Uncharted in this regard.

Side note: I wish ND didn't love QTEs so much. They work for stuff like shoving off zombies but a lot of the time when one starts in other situations, it just kills the tension. Case in point there is one part where
    Joel climbs up a ledge and gets suddenly kicked off by a thug who then tries to hold his head underwater. You stop him by mashing square and for me, the moment the square prompt came up I thought "well now I know he'll be fine".
    Kind of ruined the moment a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Anyone else find the AI to be pretty bad? Especially Ellie she keeps getting in the way of me. And I don't like how the infected and the bad guys don't ever notice her, she'll be running around in front of them and they won't even look at her.

Either way, loving the game, its not enough to stop me enjoying it. Put about 7 hours into it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yep I've seen my companions run right in front of enemies and they're completely invisible to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Bitches when im moving the dumpster for your small ass to jump up , MOVE! :)

Anyone else find the AI to be pretty bad? Especially Ellie she keeps getting in the way of me. And I don't like how the infected and the bad guys don't ever notice her, she'll be running around in front of them and they won't even look at her.

Either way, loving the game, its not enough to stop me enjoying it. Put about 7 hours into it so far.

Yeah, it's very strange. Ellie can run into stuff and make noise that will draw attention to Joel but for the most part the can't find her. I would prefer more intelligent AI but this is still better than having her constantly alert the guys and get killed.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Yep I've seen my companions run right in front of enemies and they're completely invisible to them

I'm actually glad of this because the friendly AI is very bad at times. If the enemy did see them all the time you'd never get through this game. I can see why ND made this allowance, suppose it was easier than trying to make the AI smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Will somebody who is a good bit of the way through this, say 10 hours roughly, answr this question for me (not really that spoilerish)...
    Where in America is Jackson City, Jackson County?! Near those mountains in the background! I want to track their trek across America and googling finds me a Jackson City in Mississippi (unlikely to be this one if they are heading west from Pittsburgh) and a Jackson County in Oregon (Which is on the west coast which seems like a very big jump in the story in terms of their travels) but I can't find a Jackson County with a Jackson City in it.... help?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I'm actually glad of this because the friendly AI is very bad at times. If the enemy did see them all the time you'd never get through this game. I can see why ND made this allowance, suppose it was easier than trying to make the AI smarter.

good point actually

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm finding the combat incredibly familiar and dated. It reminds me a lot of the very first Splinter Cell and all those stealth clones that came out in the late 90s and early 2000s. Very clumsy and punishing for the wrong reasons. Feels like a big step back.

Yea the sealth thing is something im never mad about i just mean the game is more like the older horror games using the zombies sparsely instead of sending wave after wave after wave
    You can just about get away with not doing stealth it can be tough though but it makes it abit more fun lol

Advertisement