Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Whats the difference in difficulties?

Is it just enemy awareness, strength or does it affect supplies etc?
    I'm going to play this mainly for the story so tempted to start off on a lower difficulty level but just wondering is it possible to raise it or lower it mid game?

I'm fairly sure you can change it mid-game. Saying this as someone who, like yourself, plays for the story, I usually go for games on Normal difficulty and by that standard, I found this one relatively difficult. There were definitely times I was tempted to drop to Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

C14N wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure you can change it mid-game. Saying this as someone who, like yourself, plays for the story, I usually go for games on Normal difficulty and by that standard, I found this one relatively difficult. There were definitely times I was tempted to drop to Easy.

Cheers I'll give it a go on normal and hopefully if you can change it that will give me choice of going up and down with the difficulty.

I don't really mind hard games but it does depend on the game. I don't want to be replaying the same section multiple times in this as it does ruin the immersion factor for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There's definitely less supplies and apparently the human enemies are more intelligent on the harder difficulties. A headshot I'd imagine is still a headshot though.

Anyway just finished the game. Thought it was really superb, definitely one of my favourites ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I went for Normal and regret it now. It's not that challenging at Normal level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I'm going to drop it to Easy.

I've no interest in playing the same scene over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I've started on Normal as at least it has the option now to push up or down difficulty at any time.

And wow what an opening to a game. If it keeps that up I'm hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Same here, I prefer not to use ammo where possible. Choke out everyone I can, and stealth kill with the bow collecting the arrow afterwards. Only using molotovs when I'm sure I can catch 2-3 enemies in the blast. I ended up crafting stuff just to use up inventory, most of the time my supplies were full. Exploring each area fully before moving on as well.

Really taking my time with this one :)

Very similar playstyle. I will only use bullets if I absolutely have too. Maxed the bow first and use it the most. If I need to get through an area or deal with a large group, I'll molotov a clicker to group them a finish it with a nail bomb or two but I've been stealth killing 90% of the time.
    weiland79 wrote: »
    I've come across at least two doors so far that i haven't been able to open cause i've been short the necassary supplies to make a shiv. I assume this is the case for most right? Playing on hard.

Once I realised shivs were used for opening doors I stopped using them in combat. The only thing I used them for was opening doors and getting off clickers once I had the upgrade to do so. You really don't need them for combat at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Managed to get hold of a PS3 for this but I can't find the fecking game anywhere. :( Anyone have wind of some available copies?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ROFL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

I was on
    the elevator in the hospital after grabbing Ellie
    near the end of the game and my PS3 just shut off. Now it won't boot up, god damn ylod. I've had the thing for about 6 years but to happen now... :mad:
    For crying out loud I don't even to get to see the f'ing ending, which is just a second kick in the nuts.
    Was loving the game too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sraw wrote: »
    I was on
    near the end of the game and my PS3 just shut off. Now it won't boot up, god damn ylod. I've had the thing for about 6 years but to happen now... :mad:
    For crying out loud I don't even to get to see the f'ing ending, which is just a second kick in the nuts.
    Was loving the game too.

Aw man that sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

I was on
    Was loving the game too.

Think it was just a coincidence it gave up now or do you think it was the game in particular?

Either way sorry to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I was on
    Was loving the game too.

Of all the games, times and places for that to happen this is by far the worst I have ever heard of. You literally couldn't pick a worse moment you poor poor bast4rd!!! :p

Tommay wrote: »
    Think it was just a coincidence it gave up now or do you think it was the game in particular?

Either way sorry to hear.

There seems to be a few people complaining about it happening while playing this game on an old phat ps3, which mine was.
    I normally only use it infrequently and that would be all ps+ games.
    It was getting heavy use the last few days with this game. I'm just thinking any disc based game would have push it over the edge. This just happened to be the one. More of a coincidence I would say.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Of all the games, times and places for that to happen this is by far the worst I have ever heard of. You literally couldn't pick a worse moment you poor poor bast4rd!!! :p

Tell me about it. YouTubing the ending just won't be the same:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Big Knox wrote: »
    Very similar playstyle. I will only use bullets if I absolutely have too. Maxed the bow first and use it the most. If I need to get through an area or deal with a large group, I'll molotov a clicker to group them a finish it with a nail bomb or two but I've been stealth killing 90% of the time.

Once I realised shivs were used for opening doors I stopped using them in combat. The only thing I used them for was opening doors and getting off clickers once I had the upgrade to do so. You really don't need them for combat at all.

Same, I think I'v only killed twice with a shiv. Always make sure I have one in stock and I havnt missed any of the goodie rooms yet :)

For maximum lol, place a nail bomb in the centre of an open area, then throw in a bottle to get some attention, hide behind something and watch the fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Yeah, my PS3 (slim) has crashed twice while playing this game so far. I guess its just one of those you accept these days, at least it comes back to life after a reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Haven't even thought to ask. Anyone here with a mic fancy partying up on The online? I quite enjoy it and with a bit of teamwork it becomes infinitely easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

How long before a tv series or movie?.....its just The Walking Dead re-dux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well it arrived today and I played for about 2 hours worth.

Love it so far and like many others have said the opening was fantastic.

Finished up on the part where it's started raining. I'll start from there tomorrow.

I've no internet at the moment so can't try out the MP but I should by the start of next month so I eagerly await to play some of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

hCeRG7X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i have an xbox360 (i know sucks i cant play this)
    but is it worth the buy? my younger brother wants it and me ma is looking to pick it up for him along with a new ps3 since his one broke
    hes in his early teens so i think he would be mature enough to play it but id prefer some boardsies opinions of the game rather then looking at reviews , im very cynical :D

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    but is it worth the buy? my younger brother wants it and me ma is looking to pick it up for him along with a new ps3 since his one broke
    hes in his early teens so i think he would be mature enough to play it but id prefer some boardsies opinions of the game rather then looking at reviews , im very cynical :D

Best game I've ever played. No word of a lie. Think the average user review on metacritic is like 9.0. Its been dubbed "The Citizen Kane moment of Gaming" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just had a very stressful time and had to turn it off! Was killed multiple times
    its the bit where ellie and the boy are pushed through the window and you have to fight the runners and clickers
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This game is playing havoc with my PS3 fans. Had it go into overdrive twice in the first hour of play.
    Great open to the game and am still playing with
    Tess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just had a very stressful time and had to turn it off! Was killed multiple times
    its the bit where ellie and the boy are pushed through the window and you have to fight the runners and clickers
    :(

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not but just to be safe,
    I struggled here aswell until I realised you don't have to kill them all, I was thinking I had to but then I turned around and seen the kids got the door open from the outside eventually! So just try and hold them off until they get it open. Also use molotovs when they all run in at the start, takes out a lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah have been trying the molotovs at the start, its the bloody clickers that get me

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah have been trying the molotovs at the start, its the bloody clickers that get me
    Thing I did was wait about 5 secs then molotov the doorway. Kills off about 3 -5 of them. Make sure you lift the melee weapon in the room then and just
    Make Every.Shot.Count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Think the average user review on metacritic is like 9.0.

It is right now which is shockingly high for an exclusive or big release game. The Metacritic user score is notoriously prone to drawing more fanboys who give everything a 1 than actual users.
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Honestly, unless you think he's a pretty intelligent teenager (I'm assuming he's 13-15), I wouldn't recommend it. This is a very gruesome and distressing game to play, far more so than the typical stuff that grabs headlines like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto. It's not fun in the way most kids want to play games at all and the brilliance is probably more from the storytelling than the gameplay which might be lost on a kid who wants to shoot a load of people in a game.

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything because obviously I don't know him but when I was that age, I really don't think this would have been my bag and I'm saying that as someone who was a hardcore gamer at the time and who was pretty smart for my age. Best way to know is to find out what kind of books/movies/TV shows is he normally into? That'll give a good gauge of whether this is for him.

Advertisement