Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mcgovern wrote: »
    I finished it yesterday, it's good, no doubt about it, and at times (particularly outside), the graphics are spectacular, but it's not the game of the decade.
    I think it would have been better without the infected, they add very little to the game. I only played on normal, but being able to crawl up to non-blind people with a flashlight straight in their eyes, and they don't notice, ruined the immersion for me. I much preferred the parts with human enemies as they'd at least try and flank you and would surprise you instead of just running straight at you.
    Also, me crawling around trying to be quiet, and then some other character singing or shouting in the background, or walking right in front of enemies, who of course pay him/her no heed, is annoying as well.
    But overall a very good game, don't think I'll be rushing to go for a second playthrough though.

I think that was a tradeoff that worked, how annoying would it be for Ellie to poke her head up or move loudly at the wrong time and alert a room full of bloaters or clickers? there's a rake of them in some places later on so I didnt mind that so much. I'm also glad you didnt have to give her items or expect her to be there to heal you, ND got that part right, remember Sheva in Resi 5 wasting health sprays any time you got a scratch? I did chuckly at Bill legging around making noise like an elephant then giving out to you to be quiet.

I thought they got the amount of infected in the game right, its the soldiers there should have been less of, you get sick of fighting people by the end, and more chance to avoid combat completely, too often you had to kill everyone in an area to generate a cutscene, sometimes you can avoid them altogether, I got through the
    bus terminal tunnel scene which must have 3-4 bloaters and a dozen infected without firing a shot, just used bottles and stealth
    . Wish there was more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I liked avoiding combat, although in that
    bus terminal part, I went a bit crazy. Lobbing nail bombs and molotovs from the top of a truck. I panicked then when I realised that the bloaters could climb up there too.

I was proud though that I only choked out one guy in that final corridor of soldiers in the hospital. I tossed a smoke bomb in front of the first soldier and fired a shot into the smoke and that caused them to go crazy while I snuck down the right hand side all the way to the end where I threw a bottle and distracted a few more before choking out the last guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Okay, so my save is completely broken along with the game, probably my PS as well :(

Started NG+ and the prologue is completely out of sync. Joel jumps up and down like a puppet, sound is off. Characters fly through windows and all sorts of crazy.

Have a look at this. Yup, that's Joel and Tommy, standing up in the jeep, heads out of the roof.

rbzab.jpg

I'll throw up a video in the spoilers thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is this the downloadable version or the disc-based version?

Try deleting the game data first, re-download the patches and see if that sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Otacon wrote: »
    The bloater comes at you from the same level the generator is on. However, if you move to the back of that room, there is a slope allowing you to move up to the next level. Make a bee-line for the door and you can avoid most/all of the infected.

Cheers yeah, that's what I did as it's how I got through it on my first play through, but the fecker was right at the end of the hall the door was on. Think he circled around from downstairs to head me off at the pass. Maybe I was too quick leaving the area so he immediately went upstairs. Then I ran back and I just heard a stalker coming right for me and got so jumpy I just had to turn it off! Will try and calm the nerves enough to get through it tonight! I love that in the game, and in multiplayer too especially, that running away is a very viable and necessary tactic at times. Just scrambling to get a few seconds to recover or craft items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

A-Trak wrote: »
    Okay, so my save is completely broken along with the game, probably my PS as well :(

Started NG+ and the prologue is completely out of sync. Joel jumps up and down like a puppet, sound is off. Characters fly through windows and all sorts of crazy.

Have a look at this. Yup, that's Joel and Tommy, standing up in the jeep, heads out of the roof.

rbzab.jpg

I'll throw up a video in the spoilers thread.

Delete your Game Utility Data for the game. Not the saved game and redownload the patches.it should sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

mcgovern wrote: »
    It's better than that alternative, for sure. But the best option would have been to have at least a semi-decent AI, that follows your lead. The AI for everything in this was fairly bad.
    The amount of times I stood at a door with a shotgun, for the human enemies to run in 1 at a time to be blown apart....

The problem with the AI is that if it's anything less than superb, it's going to drive people crazy and getting that level of AI isn't easy or maybe even possible right now. Semi-decent AI for Ellie probably would have hit this game hard. I'm sure ND tried to get it to work but in the end decided that it just wouldn't and that it would be better to leave it out. Someday it will be possible to do but not on the PS3 in a game like this.

I generally found enemy AI to be good. The enemies were often aggressive and flushed me out of cover in fights. I liked how you could hold up an enemy too and how they reacted to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

C14N wrote: »
    The problem with the AI is that if it's anything less than superb, it's going to drive people crazy and getting that level of AI isn't easy or maybe even possible right now. Semi-decent AI for Ellie probably would have hit this game hard. I'm sure ND tried to get it to work but in the end decided that it just wouldn't and that it would be better to leave it out. Someday it will be possible to do but not on the PS3 in a game like this.

I generally found enemy AI to be good. The enemies were often aggressive and flushed me out of cover in fights. I liked how you could hold up an enemy too and how they reacted to that.

I agree. At least, up until you get to the Hospital, and theres an enemy Firefly who just cant decide which position he wants to take cover in. Cue much running between cover spots as you watch hidden behind a wall, thinking wtf is wrong with that guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's a smash this is 55eu in gamestop :(. I can't really afford that. Amazon is around 50 too. :(

I got mine in Argos for €44.99 or €45.99 last week.

Could't believe it when i saw it.

Edit: Its up to €53.49 :/

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1380468/Trail/searchtext%3ETHE+LAST+OF+US.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hello. How do you get the patches for this thing ? My PS3 is not currently connected to the Internet and I can't see where to get them from on ND's website - or is that how you do PS3 games - any help most welcome, thanks

Regards.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Hello. How do you get the patches for this thing ? My PS3 is not currently connected to the Internet and I can't see where to get them from on ND's website - or is that how you do PS3 games - any help most welcome, thanks

Regards.

You have to connect it to the internet.Try tethering with your phone if you dont have internet.Patches are only 45mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

anyone about for some sweet sweet multi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just picked it up there...had to get the Joel edition for 65 because the regular was sold out, will plough away at it all weekend and report back.

• Timmyctc wrote: »
    anyone about for some sweet sweet multi?
    I am, haven't played since that time last week. Your flying up the levels:eek:

Trying to complete a survivor play through..starting to get tough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Just finished it there, fantastic game but so many things annoyed me to stop it deserving the praise it gets.
    One thing is searching for stuff, and there is none, I say I spent about 40% of the game checking rooms for stuff and there was none, and the generally the stuff you got was crap, but the worst offender was the crafting/perk system that only gets good at the 90% mark, wtf, I had loads of stuff in reserve thinking I would need it later on. Another thing is I didn't feel for the characters until the last act, even in COD I have a connection (especially someone I have spent a lot of time controlling).
    Enough of that, the story was great, the way a lot of the cut scenes blended into the game (cant remember seeing that before), it is very Arkham in stealth mode (compliment), the weapons were great, puzzles not so much
    everything solved by a pallet and a ladder, boring
    . Could have been the best game ever but for the nitpicking. Haven't played Uncharted yet, hope it is as good as people say.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Just finished it there, fantastic game but so many things annoyed me to stop it deserving the praise it gets.
    One thing is searching for stuff, and there is none, I say I spent about 40% of the game checking rooms for stuff and there was none, and the generally the stuff you got was crap, but the worst offender was the crafting/perk system that only gets good at the 90% mark, wtf, I had loads of stuff in reserve thinking I would need it later on. Another thing is I didn't feel for the characters until the last act, even in COD I have a connection (especially someone I have spent a lot of time controlling).
    Enough of that, the story was great, the way a lot of the cut scenes blended into the game (cant remember seeing that before), it is very Arkham in stealth mode (compliment), the weapons were great, puzzles not so much
    . Could have been the best game ever but for the nitpicking. Haven't played Uncharted yet, hope it is as good as people say.

Who wants Puzzles? this isnt Tomb Raider or Uncharted and
    Ellie cant swim,its not her damn fault:D

Well like its been 20 years since the outbreak. One would assume that, by and large, loot is nonexistant at this stage so the scarcity is a good thing imo. The pallet/ladder system does get a bit boring but puzzles wouldnt fit the game. I guess they probably didnt want to simply implement a new device (i.e. pallet/ladder) every time you needed to access a new area. Agree with that to a point alright.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Well like its been 20 years since the outbreak. One would assume that, by and large, loot is nonexistant at this stage so the scarcity is a good thing imo.

There was loads of stuff but you couldn't pick it up because there were only craft and weapon items. Very limited. I know it couldn't be like Skyrim for instance but it could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Did you really just say that you have a better connection to characters in COD?
    That opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well like its been 20 years since the outbreak. One would assume that, by and large, loot is nonexistant at this stage so the scarcity is a good thing imo. The pallet/ladder system does get a bit boring but puzzles wouldnt fit the game. I guess they probably didnt want to simply implement a new device (i.e. pallet/ladder) every time you needed to access a new area. Agree with that to a point alright.

I agree, searching through a cabinet or cupboard and nothing being there kind of added to it in a way. I played on hard and being full on supplies was rarity so seeing a cupboard to open and actually finding something was a relief.

• Advertisement

1) One thing is searching for stuff, and there is none, I say I spent about 40% of the game checking rooms for stuff and there was none, and the generally the stuff you got was crap

2)but the worst offender was the crafting/perk system that only gets good at the 90% mark, wtf, I had loads of stuff in reserve thinking I would need it later on.

3) Another thing is I didn't feel for the characters until the last act, even in COD I have a connection (especially someone I have spent a lot of time controlling).

These really aren't spoilers so I unspoilered them.

1) Scavenging was an important part of what makes the game good. You can't just have non-stop action or it gets very boring, very quickly. The scavenging mightn't have seemed like fun but the game was better for it. I don't know what you mean by "generally the stuff was crap", there are only a couple of items you can pick up and you can only craft a couple of things with them. The stuff you pick up was pretty much and even spread of the craftable items.

2) I really just don't understand this point. What is the "perk" system? How does it only get good at the 90% mark? (which is presumably the level in
    the Firefly building.
    )

3) I know this is just your opinion but you're the first one I've heard say that. I personally never had any connection with any of the faceless, emotionless mutes you play as in COD or their generic buddies (not even in COD4, which was a pretty good game) but that's just me.

C14N wrote: »
    These really aren't spoilers so I unspoilered them.

1) Scavenging was an important part of what makes the game good. You can't just have non-stop action or it gets very boring, very quickly. The scavenging mightn't have seemed like fun but the game was better for it. I don't know what you mean by "generally the stuff was crap", there are only a couple of items you can pick up and you can only craft a couple of things with them. The stuff you pick up was pretty much and even spread of the craftable items.

2) I really just don't understand this point. What is the "perk" system? How does it only get good at the 90% mark? (which is presumably the level in
    the Firefly building.
    )

3) I know this is just your opinion but you're the first one I've heard say that. I personally never had any connection with any of the faceless, emotionless mutes you play as in COD or their generic buddies (not even in COD4, which was a pretty good game) but that's just me.

1) I love games you go around collecting things, but you couldn't even pick up other peoples weapons or ammo even though they clearly had it in their hand when you kill them. The items were "crap" as you rarely found something like a gun, only parts to be crafted, which was limited to say the least.

2)I was refering to the levels at which you could modify weapons, you could only do that on the the last level (think Level 5 on workbench) I was saving it up thinking I would need it at the end, same goes for the tablet thing where you could increase maximum health etc, though that was probably my fault for being too reserved.

3)This is just a person preference, in the end I got into the characters, earlier on I wasn't. In COD I knew most of the voice actors which added to game, also as you jump around the World saving and being saved by characters you get into it. The game play might be boring at times but I love the stories, as far fetched as they are.

As I said it is an outstanding game, but with a few tweaks it could be perfect.

1) I love games you go around collecting things, but you couldn't even pick up other peoples weapons or ammo even though they clearly had it in their hand when you kill them. The items were "crap" as you rarely found something like a gun, only parts to be crafted, which was limited to say the least.

2)I was refering to the levels at which you could modify weapons, you could only do that on the the last level (think Level 5 on workbench) I was saving it up thinking I would need it at the end, same goes for the tablet thing where you could increase maximum health etc, though that was probably my fault for being too reserved.

3)This is just a person preference, in the end I got into the characters, earlier on I wasn't. In COD I knew most of the voice actors which added to game, also as you jump around the World saving and being saved by characters you get into it. The game play might be boring at times but I love the stories, as far fetched as they are.

As I said it is an outstanding game, but with a few tweaks it could be perfect.

I think not getting enemy ammo was just to keep the game from being too shooter-y. They wanted to keep it low so you would only use it sparingly. You were hardly going to find guns though, since it decided to go with the system of having a very specific set of weapons but letting you carry them all.

You could upgrade weapons from the start (as long as you had the parts). There were workbenches all along the way. You needed to pick up the tool boxes to unlock more upgrades but those weren't hard to find and even if, for example, you missed the second, picking up the third would still let you do Level 3 upgrades. You could also use tablets whenever you found enough for an upgrade, they were just rare enough that you only get a few upgrades in the playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

im on 20 percent ..how many precent to complete story mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oddly enough 100%, it's based on the story line not on the amount of collectables etc you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

EI2011 wrote: »
    You're actually 20% through it. It doesn't go by collectibles and all that stuff.
    Finish the game and you're at 100%.

43%. Its weird. The game ends at 63%.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

43%. Its weird. The game ends at 63%.

so the story mode ends at 43? im 2o percent in 2 hrs how long would u say story mode is to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

so the story mode ends at 43? im 2o percent in 2 hrs how long would u say story mode is to clear?
    Took me 16 hours

• Advertisement

I'm joking sweetheart. It ends at 100. You're only in the infancy of the game yet. Wait till it develops into a beautiful post-pubescent 19 year old hardbody. <3

Advertisement