Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Pretty interesting related video from the vsauce crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just finished there...fantastic. Hope they don't make a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just finished there...fantastic. Hope they don't make a sequel.

Think there's a trilogy planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I don't get the hate for a sequel. I loved the game, and I think it would be fine without a sequel, but I don't think a sequel would take away from the first one either, especially if they go down a different story route like they said they were considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I don't get the hate for a sequel. I loved the game, and I think it would be fine without a sequel, but I don't think a sequel would take away from the first one either, especially if they go down a different story route like they said they were considering.

Totally agree. They've set up a fantastic world and basis to build on. We could see a sequel/prequel set in an entirely different part of America, or even the world, with absolutely no connection to Joel, Ellie, Tess, the Fireflies etc.
    (I know the fireflies are a nation wide thing but my point still stands)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I disagree. Personally I would love to see
    the return of Joel and Ellie. I finished the game yesterday and I was impressed, but don't get why they shouldn't bring these characters back at some point. I feel the ending was left wide open and had very little in the way of finality. There is room to finish off the story there. I think I will play through it again but I wasn't a fan of the ending at all. I was a bit "eh, is that it?".

Side note: As a PC gamer (mostly) I was astonished by the graphics they were able to bring to the game from the PS3. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I don't mind either way,
    I think I would prefer some more Joel and Ellie because I was left feeling a bit empty after finishing the game and there was definitely room for more story.

Elessar wrote: »
    I disagree. Personally I would love to see the return of Joel and Ellie. I finished the game yesterday and I was impressed, but don't get why they shouldn't bring these characters back at some point. I feel the ending was left wide open and had very little in the way of finality. There is room to finish off the story there. I think I will play through it again but I wasn't a fan of the ending at all. I was a bit "eh, is that it?".

Side note: As a PC gamer (mostly) I was astonished by the graphics they were able to bring to the game from the PS3. Amazing stuff.

Spoilers. Everywhere.

But yeah I know what you mean RE: the ending but I thought that was completely in line with the whole game
    nothing is resolved. Nothing is perfect, heck, nothing is even good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I think they'd be mad to make a sequel and not involve either character.Personally i fell in love with both characters and couldnt imagine The Last of Us 2 without either.The winter part with Ellie was probably the best single player part of a game i've ever played and the
    part where they see the Giraffe, graphically was just astonishing for current gen

Yeah, a good example is
    when you first team up with Elle instead of Tess, the dynamic of the game changes, the mood and everything. That might not work if you drop one of the characters. Having said that, there's loads of scope for a story somewhere between the outbreak and the 20 year point. There's loads of unanswered stuff, like what happened in Boston, what happened between Joel and Tommy, how did the quarantine zones fall etc., etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think they'd be mad to make a sequel and not involve either character.Personally i fell in love with both characters and couldnt imagine The Last of Us 2 without either.The winter part with Ellie was probably the best single player part of a game i've ever played and the
    part where they see the Giraffe, graphically was just astonishing for current gen

The Winter section is the part I want to play most again, but in context so will play the rest instead of just jumping into that chapter. Watching Ellie go from
    overprotected kid who Joel won't even let carry a gun to bow wielding, deer hunting, psycho stabbing badass
    was brilliant. I wasn't expecting that section at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    The Winter section is the part I want to play most again, but in context so will play the rest instead of just jumping into that chapter. Watching Ellie go from
    overprotected kid who Joel won't even let carry a gun to bow wielding, deer hunting, psycho stabbing badass
    was brilliant. I wasn't expecting that section at all.

My only problem with that section was
    pretty much no melee. Fair enough, it definitely makes sense for the story, but I was so tuned to using melee even when overwhelmed by enemies that in the sections with loads of infected, I barely knew what to do and realised I couldn't shoot for sh*t

Penn wrote: »
    My only problem with that section was
    pretty much no melee. Fair enough, it definitely makes sense for the story, but I was so tuned to using melee even when overwhelmed by enemies that in the sections with loads of infected, I barely knew what to do and realised I couldn't shoot for sh*t

I found that
    Ellie's melee kills were even cooler than Joel's at times, she gutted a guy a few times when I did it, her hunting rifle was better than Joel's as well but I don't think I had it upgraded past a single shot reload at that point, tracking the deer was a great sequence I thought I fcuked it up and didnt kill it with one shot didnt realise that was meant to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And done. That was fun. :)

One thing I always wonder about games like this and Uncharted. In parts where your best option is to stealth around 3 or 4 guys, how is it that when you're seen there are suddenly about 20 guys? Stupid magic enemies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Finished it this morning, felt disappointed as I really didnt want it to end :o

Loved every moment of it tbh.

Any talks of DLC?

Any talks of DLC?
    Just that the First SP DLC is meant to be like during the main story. A side story i think they described it as. Hang on ill get the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I think I read it didn't have to do with Joel and Ellie

I wouldnt mind DLC set in the same world but not about the two main characters, or a sequel for that matter, there's a lot of stuff they can cover, the intitial outbreak, the immediate aftermath, being one of the fireflys etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd be worried about DLC like that becoming too shootery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I wouldnt mind DLC set in the same world but not about the two main characters, or a sequel for that matter, there's a lot of stuff they can cover, the intitial outbreak, the immediate aftermath, being one of the fireflys etc etc

Ish would be another one. I read all his notes in the sewers and I think there was one or two in the neighbourhood when you got out, they were really interesting. It would be good to know what happened him.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ish would be another one. I read all his notes in the sewers and I think there was one or two in the neighbourhood when you got out, they were really interesting. It would be good to know what happened him.

wa that Bill's mate?, felt bad for him after reading that letter.

No, remember the sewers bit, with all the notes left around? Seemed to happen a few years before you got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Playing through a second time as I always miss things first time around, and straight off the bat I notice something. I thought the start of the game was set 20 years ago and the majority set in the present day! But it is actually the present day at the start and then the rest is 20 years in the future. Big flat screen TV in Joel's sitting room was a bit of a clue! And then when his daughter picks up his fancy smartphone in the kitchen, haha I am not the sharpest tool in the box! :D

I felt there was some homoerotic vibes going on between Bill and his mate, but maybe that probably says more about me than it doe about Bill lol

After finishing this game one thing struck me as I read other peoples opinions on how their own game unfolded was that how important the notes and other collectables were for telling the story and how missing one or finding it which ever the case maybe had a really big impact on the story.

Like,
    If you hadn't found any tapes in the hospital would we have known that Joel lied to Ellie at the end

Or am I just confused :o

mutley18 wrote: »
    Playing through a second time as I always miss things first time around, and straight off the bat I notice something. I thought the start of the game was set 20 years ago and the majority set in the present day! But it is actually the present day at the start and then the rest is 20 years in the future. Big flat screen TV in Joel's sitting room was a bit of a clue! And then when his daughter picks up his fancy smartphone in the kitchen, haha I am not the sharpest tool in the box! :D

In fairness I had to think about that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I really really liked this game. But I didn't love it. I wanted to, but I saw all those famous scenes coming (except the ending). I'll play it again definitely (I NEVER play games twice!).

Naughty Dog is right up there with Rockstar as the two best game developers in the world. A few others are VERY close (Bethesda, Bioware etc) but these two have the ability to make interactive cinema essentially. In saying that, I still think the ending to Red Dead Redemption is one of the best single player endings of this generation. As I mentioned before I was left disappointed with the ending of TLOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I felt there was some homoerotic vibes going on between Bill and his mate, but maybe that probably says more about me than it doe about Bill lol

It's definitely quite plainly hinted at. The part in the car after where Ellie jokes about Bill's bodybuilder magazine being sticky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mcgovern wrote: »
    It's definitely quite plainly hinted at. The part in the car after where Ellie jokes about Bill's bodybuilder magazine being sticky?

if_you_know_what_i_mean_mr_bean_blank.jpg

Advertisement